Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buncha questions, would like some answers
bibliophile20
post Oct 2 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

Got a bunch of minor, one-off questions.

1. What's the DP modifier for drunkenness? Or do you simply do a toxin resistance test against an assigned power of the drink (i.e. a light beer has a power of two, and 190 proof vodka has a power of 10 or something like that) with stun damage? One of my potential players wants to play an adept with the conditional geas of only working when drunk and a severe addiction to booze.

2. How come the ork and elf poser qualities don't cost essence, but the procedures/cyberware/bioware in Aug (pgs 35, 60 & 90) that gives those qualities do cost essence?

3. Anyone got any maps of the Ork Underground?

4. A Wiccan following the Puck (trickster) totem; believable?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Redspork
post Oct 2 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,539

1. Iunno

2. The qualities do not give those body mods off the bat. So just taking Elf Poser may result in a human that wears "Spock ears" and goes vegetarian. Conversly, taking the physical mods automatically mark a character as a poser.

3. Not I.

4. Sure, Wicca is a mishmash of old beliefs and modern psuedo-spriritualism, so you can pretty much cram anything non-violent into it and no one's much gonna say anything.

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Oct 2 2007, 01:32 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

Well, I don't have any of my books handy, but....

1) I have no idea on this one. From my own personal experiences, drunkenness is not something quantifiable enough to come up with game mechanics before (of course I've never been breathalized). But also it seems like a vague geas. Can he work while tipsy? I don't entirely mean that as a joke, either. Seems to me you'll probably have to house rule drunkenness, because I don't think I've ever seen rules for it in an SR book. But discussing with the player exactly HOW drunk he needs to be might be a good starting point for attaching concrete penalty numbers to it.

2) I would imagine you'd have to take the qualities, and THEN spend essence on the operations to play it right. Just because my character starts as an elf poser doesn't mean he's already had the operations, I guess. Right now he's just sort of "in the closet," or else is going with stop-gap solutions like Spock ears that he picked up at a sci-fi convention. To truly roleplay it right, I'll have to get the operations should i have the opportunity, though.

3) I don't think I've ever seen a map of the ork underground, though I could be wrong. The 1st or 2nd ed. Seattle sourcebook might have entrances to it marked on the normal Seattle map (that's right, I said orks aren't normal). But my groups have always just played the OU as a "work in progress" that can't really be mapped, because the vast majority of it is, well, illegal. Nobody upside WANTS a bunch of orks knocking down walls and making tunnels beneath the foundations of their city; the orks just ARE, and they don't typically let outsider teams of cartographers poke around to document it.

4) I'd believe it. Because much like the existence of the internet has shown us that there's people that subscribe to absolutely EVERY kink out there, I imagine the Awakening will show us that there's someone out there for EVERY type of magical belief. Also, because I have the whimsical optimism of a child.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 2 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

1. Absent of a specific book ruling, I'd treat drunkeness as Stun Damage.

2. I guess you can act like an Ork or an Elf for free (make-up, plastic teeth, speaking in weird languages like present-day Klingons) but if you actually get the surgery, then that costs Essence.

3. Here's an interesting site on field trips in the Seattle Underground. But alas, no maps. The History Channel's Cities of the Underworld is a pretty good resource for places like the Seattle Underground, although I don't know if Seattle was ever covered. It sounds like the Seattle Underground was pretty similar to the one in Edinburgh in its method of construction, if that helps.

Scooped, I see. Well played, Redspork.

Edit: Scooped twice!

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 2 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #5

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

2. I would rule that those with only the Quality are using prosthetics, much like Mercer suggests. A character getting "minor modification", which costs no essence, and taking the Quality looks more the part. This is stuff like getting your ears pointy-like, permanently capping or replacing teeth with fake tusks, and so forth. You could give a minor bonus against being "outed" to reflect that. Then, were a character to undergo any more invasive surgery to play the part, you could give them a higher numerical bonus against being "outed" as a poser. (Also, I suspect that it's this way because they knew that SR4 would be out before Aug.)

I don't really have anything useful for the other 3, sorry.

Edit: wow, popular topic. :)

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Oct 2 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

Strangely enough, no edition of SR has ever given rules for alcohol. It's a glaring omission.

My house rule is to treat one unit of alcohol - one shot, one glass of wine, one beer - as a toxin with Power 2, Vector: Ingestion, Speed: 15 minutes, Effect: Stun damage. With these stats, a Body 3 character will be, on the average, at a -1 modifier after three drinks, -2 after 6, and so on. The glitch chance goes up as the dice pool goes down, which results in drunken falls, car crashes, and disastrously worded sexual invitations.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Oct 2 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
Strangely enough, no edition of SR has ever given rules for alcohol. It's a glaring omission.

My house rule is to treat one unit of alcohol - one shot, one glass of wine, one beer - as a toxin with Power 2, Vector: Ingestion, Speed: 15 minutes, Effect: Stun damage. With these stats, a Body 3 character will be, on the average, at a -1 modifier after three drinks, -2 after 6, and so on. The glitch chance goes up as the dice pool goes down, which results in drunken falls, car crashes, and disastrously worded sexual invitations.

*yoink*

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Oct 2 2007, 02:37 AM
Post #8

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Or something more along the lines of electrical damage or the orgasm spells secondary effects.
Say when they drink an amount equal to unmodified body (+plus filtration if active) they make a Body+Wil (+ filtration) test (3), fail and you've not held it together well, glitch and you hoark, crit glitch and you're alchohol poisoned.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Oct 2 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #9

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Got a bunch of minor, one-off questions.

1. What's the DP modifier for drunkenness? Or do you simply do a toxin resistance test against an assigned power of the drink (i.e. a light beer has a power of two, and 190 proof vodka has a power of 10 or something like that) with stun damage? One of my potential players wants to play an adept with the conditional geas of only working when drunk and a severe addiction to booze.

I would play it similar to the Intoxication spell in SM.169, which causes fatigue damage which is unresisted Stun Damage. The only problem is setting the number of boxes of Stun taken per drink, which seems like it could be agreed upon with the player and a little good judgement.

2. How come the ork and elf poser qualities don't cost essence, but the procedures/cyberware/bioware in Aug (pgs 35, 60 & 90) that gives those qualities do cost essence?

As already addressed, the Quality is just a state of mind.

3. Anyone got any maps of the Ork Underground?

I do not think there are any official ones. It seems I read somewhere that the inhabitants were even prone to expanding and filling in existing tunnels, meaning the map would be constsntly changing.

4. A Wiccan following the Puck (trickster) totem; believable?

Whatever.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Oct 2 2007, 05:39 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,245

QUOTE (Redspork @ Oct 1 2007, 08:30 PM)
4. Sure, Wicca is a mishmash of old beliefs and modern psuedo-spriritualism, so you can pretty much cram anything non-violent into it and no one's much gonna say anything.

In fact from my experience, the more traditions you rip off at once the better. You get extra credit if none of the religions you are stealing from are based in the same part of the world, and even more credit if the originating systems of belief are in compatible. :wobble:

Edit. Not looking to bash religions here. this may be harsher than I intended, but all in good fun.

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Oct 2 2007, 07:54 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

QUOTE (Kronk2)

In fact from my experience, the more traditions you rip off at once the better. You get extra credit if none of the religions you are stealing from are based in the same part of the world, and even more credit if the originating systems of belief are in compatible.  :wobble:

Edit. Not looking to bash religions here. this may be harsher than I intended, but all in good fun.

You say that like it's a bad thing Kronk.

(And the first time I read this, I didn't even notice the dark green edit text on the dark grey background.)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 2 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)

Is not quite true; they're just well-hidden. Check out "A Fistful of Karma" in Harlequin's Back, particularly the Songbird saloon.

It's akin to the difference between a pre-op and post-op transsexual.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 2 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Catholic priests - called nuns - revere the saints. Nuns are traditionally, but not always, female

2: Characters with the ork poser quality don't actually have to be using prosthetics. Being a poser without any sort of surgery is sort of like being a white rapper.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 2 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #14

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Kronk2)
In fact from my experience, the more traditions you rip off at once the better. You get extra credit if none of the religions you are stealing from are based in the same part of the world, and even more credit if the originating systems of belief are in compatible. :wobble:

:D As a pagan, that's damn funny.

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Oct 3 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

QUOTE (Dashifen @ Oct 2 2007, 06:13 AM)
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Oct 2 2007, 12:39 AM)
In fact from my experience, the more traditions you rip off at once the better. You get extra credit if none of the religions you are stealing from are based in the same part of the world, and even more credit if the originating systems of belief are in compatible.  :wobble:

:D As a pagan, that's damn funny.

Seconded! :grinbig:

If you want to have a fictional deity as your mentor (i.e. Flying Spaghetti Monster, or better yet the Great and Powerful Dropbear), you have to be a chaos magician though... :spin:

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 3 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

For drunkenness, why not just apply a -2 DP for a GM determined inebriation state? I'd then scale it up to -4 and -6, at the worst.

I know you are probably looking for a hard and fast rule, but unless you want to really bog the game down with a bunch of dice rolls to figure out how drunk your PC is, I'd just use the above as a guideline. If the GM thinks the character is pretty buzzed, give the -2...if they continue drinking after that, give the -4 and if they are wanting to get blitzed, give the -6.

I'd also say that after 1 hour of not drinking, that the -6 drops to -4 and another hour, it drops to -2 and finally 1 more hour and they are back to normal.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.