Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Governor I'm Executing You, Shows of Power
Serial_Peacemake...
post Oct 2 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,483

Now Shadowrun seems to be based around the idea that Nation States are more or less withering away. While Megacorps and Organized Family fills the vacuum of power. I was just considering though how powerful a group would have to be before it could simply decide that a free city or government was getting uppity by declaring a bounty on one of its leaders heads, and extract, and execute one of the government leaders.
I figure it isn't completely unreasonable for a fairly large pirate organization to decide to do this. Since they would likely have both military power, and the right temperament.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blade
post Oct 2 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

It was true a few years ago, but since Collton took charge of the Renraku Arcology incident, nation states (well, the UCAS at least) have been getting back on the scene.
And she's now president of the UCAS...

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Oct 2 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

The megacorps would step in to stop this, because it is in their best interest, if there are weak political leaders, who they can bribe the heck out of instead of unreliable and unstable never-do-wells.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Emperor Tippy
post Oct 2 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,346

If the megacorps could act together than they could take out the government's publicly and with little trouble.

But they don't want to rule. So long as the governments behave, the megacorps don't care. And one of the things that gets an Omega Order called on you is getting caught overthrowing a government. Publicly taking out a president or the like meets this requirement.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 2 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Heh, if the megacorps take out the government then they'll have to do the job. And who wants to deal with all that crap?

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Oct 2 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Yeah, but they could probably outsource the work to cheaper, more efficient Asian bureaucrats. :D

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 2 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #7

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

This has always been a point of contention with me:
"If the megacorps acted together, they could topple governments in public with no trouble."

No. Plain and simple. For a couple of reasons, actually.
1) ZO wouldn't stand for it, even if the corporate court agreed to have everbody work together to trash a bunch of national governments - assuming said governments actually mattered and weren't "The United Banana Republics of Casiotone" or something. Publicly destroying national governments erodes confidence in currencies that ZO trades in, erodes confidence in the smaller corporations based there, and generally hurts the economy. It wouldn't be beyond ZO to put severe monetary hurt on corps that tried this. That alone would be enough to put the kibosh on the AAAs working together to toss any government that mattered.
2) While the megas have a lot of military, a lot of thor shots, and a lot of nukes... I've never seen any evidence that they had all of the military and nukes. Trying to toss any national government that has a significant military and pretty much ANY nukes is a bad idea. Supposing the government in question is prominent - let's say, oh, 2070s France - they're gonna put up a fight that would make doing so a huge expense. And the threat of ANY nuclear attack on your turf, even if you have enough nukes to mop them up, makes it a no-win situation. Who wants to topple the government of a nation if you have to break the nation to get a payoff?
3) The people. People don't like being invaded. Unless you have popular support for your coup, they're going to make your life a living hell. They might still buy your products because they can't avoid it, but come on. You'll have to play police state to avoid having them attack your employees and assets. It's not worth it if the people don't want you.

It's not that they couldn't. I'm not saying the megas don't have the power. I'm just saying they couldn't do it without a bunch of problems. And those problems make the cost too high.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Oct 2 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Seriously, though, the government would have to start really messing with corporate interests to merit that kind of interference. And given extraterritoriality and the political power of the Corporate Court, that kind of thing is pretty unlikely.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 2 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

QUOTE (Serial_Peacemaker @ Oct 2 2007, 10:31 AM)
Now Shadowrun seems to be based around the idea that Nation States are more or less withering away. While Megacorps and Organized Family fills the vacuum of power. I was just considering though how powerful a group would have to be before it could simply decide that a free city or government was getting uppity by declaring a bounty on one of its leaders heads, and extract, and execute one of the government leaders.
I figure it isn't completely unreasonable for a fairly large pirate organization to decide to do this. Since they would likely have both military power, and the right temperament.

Why would a megacorporation execute a nation's leaders if they could just install puppet leaders that invoke all the laws they want?

Check out the recent news: Exxon-Mobile has posted the largest annual income of any company, ever. And we aren't told how much the Saudi royalty is making these days, but it's safe to assume it's a lot more than Exxon-Mobile.

+Quote Post
Emperor Tippy
post Oct 2 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

This has always been a point of contention with me:
"If the megacorps acted together, they could topple governments in public with no trouble."

No. Plain and simple. For a couple of reasons, actually.
1) ZO wouldn't stand for it, even if the corporate court agreed to have everbody work together to trash a bunch of national governments - assuming said governments actually mattered and weren't "The United Banana Republics of Casiotone" or something. Publicly destroying national governments erodes confidence in currencies that ZO trades in, erodes confidence in the smaller corporations based there, and generally hurts the economy. It wouldn't be beyond ZO to put severe monetary hurt on corps that tried this. That alone would be enough to put the kibosh on the AAAs working together to toss any government that mattered.

You do realize that ZO is controlled by the AAA corps. Each prime mega owns 1 tenth of ZO. Neither ZO or the Corporate Court are independent of the Prime Mega's or possess any power outside of what the prime megas give them.

2) While the megas have a lot of military, a lot of thor shots, and a lot of nukes... I've never seen any evidence that they had all of the military and nukes. Trying to toss any national government that has a significant military and pretty much ANY nukes is a bad idea. Supposing the government in question is prominent - let's say, oh, 2070s France - they're gonna put up a fight that would make doing so a huge expense. And the threat of ANY nuclear attack on your turf, even if you have enough nukes to mop them up, makes it a no-win situation. Who wants to topple the government of a nation if you have to break the nation to get a payoff?

The megas own all of the satellites, the communications grid, the police, and all the thor shots. They can cut off any nation that the feel like.

3) The people. People don't like being invaded. Unless you have popular support for your coup, they're going to make your life a living hell. They might still buy your products because they can't avoid it, but come on. You'll have to play police state to avoid having them attack your employees and assets. It's not worth it if the people don't want you.

Yes, people are anonying.

It's not that they couldn't. I'm not saying the megas don't have the power. I'm just saying they couldn't do it without a bunch of problems. And those problems make the cost too high.

The corps won't do it because it isn't profitable. But don't for an instant think that if they acted together they couldn't take out every national government at once..

Nations exist at the sufferance of the Corporate Court. And they only continue to exist because none of the corporations want to deal with governing those nations, it isn't profitable.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 2 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #11

Deus Absconditus

1) ZO doesn't have any power except what the megas give them and the money the megas have put into them. Technically, it is true that the megas can tell ZO what to do. Factually, ZO holds their money. If the megas all told ZO "We want our cash back now, please," somehow I don't think ZO would be too willing to give it back. They are a parasite organization. Despite where power comes from, once it is given it takes on a life of its own.

2) They own all the satellites, the comm grid, yadda yadda. Yes. However, power comes from those that are on the ground, controlling the gridwork. If a government deploys forces to prevent such a 'total cutoff', the power flows from the end of a gun, which means it's not entirely one way. It's whoever can shoot most. Plus, how do you cut off, say, "the UCAS" and not your own resources in the UCAS? You can't just shut off the whole grid, and you can't black out a nation without them IMMEDIATELY working to take that infrastructure back. What's more, the megas own the infrastructure, but are they actually the people who are working at the trunk exchanges in each major city? I'm not sure they are. That seems like contractor work.

3) People are more than annoying, people are scary. If we assume that only ten percent of the Seattle Metroplex (if it has the population of today) gets pissed at a takeover attempt, that's still 350,000 people that feel they are under outside attack by hostile forces. That's more than an annoyance, that's downright scary.

4) If every megacorporation in the world PERFECTLY executed a shutdown attempt on the UCAS - just the UCAS - and the UCAS only retains 10% of its current nuclear active stockpile (I.E. not counting weapons that could be brought back to hot/ready status), that is still 516 live nuclear warheads that could be used against the offending megacorporations. It may not be enough to destroy the megas, but it's enough to stop them, and if they responded in kind, DEFINITELY enough to reduce every metroplex in the UCAS to blackened ash.

To say that they exist is the sufferance of the corporate court is a gross simplification. They exist in tandem and in balance with the corporate court.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 2 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
You do realize that ZO is controlled by the AAA corps. Each prime mega owns 1 tenth of ZO. Neither ZO or the Corporate Court are independent of the Prime Mega's or possess any power outside of what the prime megas give them.

Actually, the ZOG Bank is largely independent of the megacorps, at the insistence of the megacorps themselves. If a ZOG Bank Director puts the interests of his original megacorp above the interests of the ZOG Bank, the penalty is literally death. The megacorps have a pretty zero-tolerance attitude about risking the ZOG Bank becoming a battlefield in global corporate warfare.

+Quote Post
Emperor Tippy
post Oct 2 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy @ Oct 2 2007, 12:26 PM)

Actually, the ZOG Bank is largely independent of the megacorps, at the insistence of the megacorps themselves. If a ZOG Bank Director puts the interests of his original megacorp above the interests of the ZOG Bank, the penalty is literally death. The megacorps have a pretty zero-tolerance attitude about risking the ZOG Bank becoming a battlefield in global corporate warfare.

Yes, and if the corp's acted together ZO would side with them. Each mega owns 1/10 of ZO.

As I said, ZO is independent of any 1 corp but it is not independent of the Prime Mega's collectively.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 2 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

The megas don't "own all the satellites". They don't even own the majority of them, particularly by mass. The IJS has a huge orbital infrastructure that launches, assembles and maintains the dozens of 30,000 ton solar power satellites they own and run. It would be pretty darn rational to assume that they have a lot more than just SPS in orbit.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Oct 2 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,235

Yeah, I'm with Adarael on this one. Let's go over the steps, here.

First you convince all the AAA corps, as well as Lone Star, Doc Wagon, and some other AAs that they should overthrow the governments of the world.

Then you go to Zurich Orbital, which I like to think of as a Federal Reserve on cybersteroids, and convince them that taking this action won't completely and utterly destabilize the world economy for years, maybe decades to come.

Then the action starts. Ares starts firing Thor Shots. Aztechnology summons Bloodzilla. Renraku, MCT, and NeoNET, their powers combined, create Jormungand v2.0. And stuff. You know, whatever.

Japan takes those energy satellites they have and turns the power up to "Extra Crispy" and points them at the headquarters of all the Asia-based Megacorps, that's something like half of them. The UCAS nukes the hell out of every damn thing. Nothing happens in Europe, because there is nothing you can say or do to convince me that Lofwyr would have gone along with this plan, but if he did, I'd say Saeder-Krupp actually stands the best chance out of any of the megas - it might actually take over most of Europe.

And what if, after this, the combined might of the megacorps did overpower the nations, and they're now ushering in a new age of economic tyranny, unfettered by lip service to some antiquated governments? I was reading a book about aliens coming to invade Earth (Animorphs, if anyone cares), and one of the alien generals asks why they don't just stomp on the puny earthlings with their superior technology, rather than quietly infiltrating their ranks. The smarter general answers that there are six billion people on this chunk of rock, and if each of them fired only one bullet, it would still be enough to destroy the entire alien force a bunch of times over. There would be a lot of defections from the megacorp ranks, and people would boycott them in the sense of shooting their employees in the face, and in short order the megacorps would not be able to maintain their hold on the planet. The people would form new governments, and probably issue new, highly restrictive laws on megacorps - like, you know, extraterritoriality was a bad idea, we're getting rid of that now.

And that's how the end of the world goes! :)

+Quote Post
Emperor Tippy
post Oct 2 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

First you convince all the AAA corps, as well as Lone Star, Doc Wagon, and some other AAs that they should overthrow the governments of the world.

Then you go to Zurich Orbital, which I like to think of as a Federal Reserve on cybersteroids, and convince them that taking this action won't completely and utterly destabilize the world economy for years, maybe decades to come.

First mistake. Once you have convinced the Big Ten (the AAA Prime Megacorps) ZO is convinced.

Shadowrun Wiki: Zurich-Orbital Gemeinschaft Bank (Z-OG) is an extraterritorial corporation under the management of the Corporate Court the largest financial institution and bank in the world, wholly owned by the members of the Corporate Court. Because of its importance, specifically due to the debts owed to it by the Big Ten, it is also the most influential. Each AAA megacorporation has an equal number of shares, and thus ownership, of the bank and the CEOs of those megacorps elect the members of the board of directors.

Then the action starts. Ares starts firing Thor Shots. Aztechnology summons Bloodzilla. Renraku, MCT, and NeoNET, their powers combined, create Jormungand v2.0. And stuff. You know, whatever.

You forgot the step where the mega's turn off the communications and spy sats used by the nations.

Japan takes those energy satellites they have and turns the power up to "Extra Crispy" and points them at the headquarters of all the Asia-based Megacorps, that's something like half of them.

You mean the energy satellites owned by one of the Japanese corps, along with japans nuclear weapons?

The UCAS nukes the hell out of every damn thing.

You mean the nueks that survived the Thor shots dropepd on them, right?
Nothing happens in Europe, because there is nothing you can say or do to convince me that Lofwyr would have gone along with this plan, but if he did, I'd say Saeder-Krupp actually stands the best chance out of any of the megas - it might actually take over most of Europe.

No one would ever convince any of the megas that taking over was a good idea.

And what if, after this, the combined might of the megacorps did overpower the nations, and they're now ushering in a new age of economic tyranny, unfettered by lip service to some antiquated governments? I was reading a book about aliens coming to invade Earth (Animorphs, if anyone cares), and one of the alien generals asks why they don't just stomp on the puny earthlings with their superior technology, rather than quietly infiltrating their ranks. The smarter general answers that there are six billion people on this chunk of rock, and if each of them fired only one bullet, it would still be enough to destroy the entire alien force a bunch of times over. There would be a lot of defections from the megacorp ranks, and people would boycott them in the sense of shooting their employees in the face, and in short order the megacorps would not be able to maintain their hold on the planet. The people would form new governments, and probably issue new, highly restrictive laws on megacorps - like, you know, extraterritoriality was a bad idea, we're getting rid of that now.

The response of the citizens of the former nations is impossible to know. As is how far the corps are willing to go.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 2 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #17

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

True megacorporate hegemony is unsustainable, as we very well know. It was tried before and it was called Socialism. We all know how that turned out.

Megas can't work without constant external economic infusion. Take away the nations and you just create a bunch of isolationist socialist fiefdoms which are all doomed to collapse.

The real power of the megacorps, of course, lies not in military might but in the ability to impose trade sanctions. If the big ten pull out of your country, they all take huge hits to their bottom line but your economy practically ceases to exist.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Oct 2 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,235

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)

First mistake. Once you have convinced the Big Ten (the AAA Prime Megacorps) ZO is convinced.

Shadowrun Wiki: Zurich-Orbital Gemeinschaft Bank (Z-OG) is an extraterritorial corporation under the management of the Corporate Court the largest financial institution and bank in the world, wholly owned by the members of the Corporate Court. Because of its importance, specifically due to the debts owed to it by the Big Ten, it is also the most influential. Each AAA megacorporation has an equal number of shares, and thus ownership, of the bank and the CEOs of those megacorps elect the members of the board of directors.

Quotes are fun!

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)

And this guy actually wrote the stuff, I think. Anyway, he talked a lot about SR economics in another thread, so I believe him.

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)

You forgot the step where the mega's turn off the communications and spy sats used by the nations.

No, I didn't forget that step, it just didn't happen successfully, because to knock out only governmental communications and their redundancies without affecting megacorp communications would require a combined effort of shadowrunners and missiles the likes of which the world has never seen (because it would, of course, be stupid). Picture that thing in 300 where the sky gets drowned with arrow fire. now replace those with missiles. This kind of massive shadow undertaking straight up doesn't fail to get noticed by the governments, who take countermeasures before anything really overt even happens.

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Japan takes those energy satellites they have and turns the power up to "Extra Crispy" and points them at the headquarters of all the Asia-based Megacorps, that's something like half of them.

You mean the energy satellites owned by one of the Japanese corps, along with japans nuclear weapons?

QUOTE (kzt)
The megas don't "own all the satellites". They don't even own the majority of them, particularly by mass. The IJS has a huge orbital infrastructure that launches, assembles and maintains the dozens of 30,000 ton solar power satellites they own and run. It would be pretty darn rational to assume that they have a lot more than just SPS in orbit.

In case this wasn't clear, rumor has it (and we all know that rumors are always true) that these satellites, which are normally beaming benign solar power to collectors on the earth, can be modified with the flick of a switch to fire mega death rays.

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
The UCAS nukes the hell out of every damn thing.

You mean the nueks that survived the Thor shots dropepd on them, right?

Yep, those are the ones.

QUOTE (Adarael)
4) If every megacorporation in the world PERFECTLY executed a shutdown attempt on the UCAS - just the UCAS - and the UCAS only retains 10% of its current nuclear active stockpile (I.E. not counting weapons that could be brought back to hot/ready status), that is still 516 live nuclear warheads that could be used against the offending megacorporations. It may not be enough to destroy the megas, but it's enough to stop them, and if they responded in kind, DEFINITELY enough to reduce every metroplex in the UCAS to blackened ash.

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Nothing happens in Europe, because there is nothing you can say or do to convince me that Lofwyr would have gone along with this plan, but if he did, I'd say Saeder-Krupp actually stands the best chance out of any of the megas - it might actually take over most of Europe.

No one would ever convince any of the megas that taking over was a good idea.

On this point, I think we both agree! :D

QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)

The response of the citizens of the former nations is impossible to know. As is how far the corps are willing to go.

Impossible is just a word people use when they can't be bothered to make up more hypothetical facts to back up their hypothetical arguments. We both know the megas would never try anything like this, but hypothetically, if they did, even the megas have limits, just like the governments we have now and always have had, have limits. Now this is just a guess on my part - and please, if you have data to the contrary, I'm all ears - but I don't think people like being invaded, nuked, their central governments destroyed, and being taken over. Given the overwhelming historical precedent set by every country that's ever been invaded ever, I'd say that resistance groups will form, of, granted, size and composition unknown. But I'm going to hazard a guess that the corps would not have enough legitimacy in the eyes of the people to rule, and they would soon enough be toppled over.

+Quote Post
Serial_Peacemake...
post Oct 2 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Well I thought part of the point with Shadowrun is that ALL countries are simply Banana Republics. That no single nation is as powerful as a single Megacorp.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 2 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #20

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

Why isn't everything all the same? Doesn't the same thing work the same way for everyone? There's only one right way and everything must do it that way right?

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Oct 2 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

QUOTE (Gelare)
Given the overwhelming historical precedent set by every country that's ever been invaded ever, I'd say that resistance groups will form, of, granted, size and composition unknown. But I'm going to hazard a guess that the corps would not have enough legitimacy in the eyes of the people to rule, and they would soon enough be toppled over.

Wait, so Iraq ISN'T happy to have us? :)

Seriously, though, in the grim future of Shadowrun, I'm not sure governments are going to have any more legitimacy than megacorps. Hell, even in the present, think of all the brands people exhibit loyalty to. I know I see more Macintosh stickers on cars than Bush stickers. President Bartlet got a good number of votes in the actual election in 2004. I'm not sure most people really give a crap about governance. Shoot a halfway decent ad campaign through someone's skull, and they'll accept most of what you hand them.

Maybe I'm just REALLY cynical, but I don't think the reason for nation states in SR is the fear of revolution. However, I DO think a lot of posters are right on that the scenario just doesn't hold up to a cost/benefit analysis. I'm not exactly a scholar on capitalist theory, but I'm pretty sure Adam Smith talked a lot about how governments are necessary because some things need to be done communally, like setting up infrastructure (don't you just love how we all pay taxes, but it's companies that move heavy freight that put almost all the wear on "our" roads?). Governments are a good way of outsourcing a lot of costly things that right now corporations can trick the taxpayer into footing the bill for.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Oct 2 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

Why would anyone take over the govenment in 2070 anyway? They don;t seem to do anything

-> Law enforcement is run by private sector

-> Majority of hospitals are private sector

-> Most of the military industrial complex is private sector

-> Welfare doesn't seem to exist, but even if it did all the poor people have no SIN so couldn;t get it anyway.

-> According to the perps around here, education system has been mostly privatised.

The big spending areas of most governments are, in some sort of order, Welfare, Health, Defense and Education.

Shadowrun governments have been gutted for A, B and D, and also their tax base has all run off to mega corps so i;'m not sure how they pay for C.

So the conclusion is shadowrun governments are a big joke. Taking them over would seem to convey all the prestige of taking over some banana republic backwater. I'm not even sure why they exist except to gloss over the absolute stupidity of ex territoriality as a concept.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 2 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #23

Deus Absconditus

While the militatry-industrial complex may be run in large part by corps, there are a number of sources which suggest that national defense is still the purview of nations. For example, it was JIS Marines who sat in SF. The money came from the megas, but the JIS military is what enabled it to conquer so much of SE asia. Likewise, Stoner-Ares produced the Stonewall MBT in Rigger 1 for the CAS Army, not for their own private forces. Amazonia has a national military, as does the Sioux Nation, TT, and the UCAS. So national defense is definitely something governments still do.

Infrastructure is also another thing that the governments do, from top to bottom. Roads, public transport, gridguide, sewers, water, et cetera is national.

I disagree that education is privatized. I submit that only higher education (college up) is largely privatized. Even so, UC Fuchi Berkeley wasn't owned by Fuchi, just very heavily funded.

Federal law enforcement is also national. The UCAS has an FBI - an agent was an NPC in Double Exposure.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 3 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #24

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Cthulhudreams)
Why would anyone take over the govenment in 2070 anyway? They don;t seem to do anything

I would like to point out how California was handled under the Japanese in the '50's-'60's. They directly took ocntrol of a part of the CFS, and took control of the Governor and goervment through a combination of threats and bribes. They didn't need to have direct control, just effective control.

+Quote Post
Serial_Peacemake...
post Oct 3 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Well I think that was because Japan is apparently a special case because at the time most Megas were Japanese, and they still had old style nationalist feelings. I get the impression those days in Shadowrun are starting to fade. Also there have been successful invasions in the past as well. I mean the Allies after WW2 Effectively took over Japan and Germany. This obviously wasn't permenant, but there have been more permenant cases. Look at 1066 and the Norman invasion, Also if I remember China's been invaded quite a few times. Hell if you are in the US you are pretty much in a country that was invaded and purged of its natives. I'm not saying invasions are right, or even that they are easy. However despite current trends it has been done.
Actually extraterritorality kind of raises the question of why exactly crime familys exist. I mean why not get a corp say whatever money making crime you like is legal in your area, and then get cracking. I mean gambling, prostitution, and manufacturing of illegal BTLs and Narcotics would be legal on your own sovereign territory right?
Unless I have this wrong the country outside the Megacorp's territory would have as much say in the matter as the USA over pot in Amsterdam.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.