IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which books are loaded with awesome?, Y'know, hypothetically.
Gelare
post Oct 2 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,235

Hey there folks, I've recently been lucky enough to be offered one Shadowrun book of my choice, from the list of all Shadowrun books ever. Obviously, I want to make a good selection, so I thought I'd come and see which books you all think are particularly impressive. Now, I just started playing SR as of fourth edition, but I am well aware that there are awesome books from times past, especially (it seems to me) third edition.

In the course of browsing the forums I've seen lots of books mentioned in a favorable light - System Failure, Cybertechnology, Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book, Corporate Shadowfiles (or something corporate), and the like. And forgive me if this has been discussed before (to be honest, I think it has), for my search-fu is weak. But if you all feel like chiming in with what your favorite book is (and really, who doesn't like talking about their favorite stuff), I'd appreciate it. :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 2 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Actually, on the Awesomeometer, I'd have to give SR2 books a huge leg up on SR3. And if Shadowbeat was technically SR1 (can't remember at the moment), then it gets higher marks too. And this from an avowed SR3 junkie. But given that anything pre4 is just fluff and background if you now play 4, I'd have to say look hard at SR2 stuff.

Specific recommendations from me, in no order:
- Shadowbeat
- Lone Star
- Cybertechnology (actually, if there were an order, this would be 1 or 2; one word, name really: Hatchetman)
- Seattle Sourcebook (original)
- Portfolio of a Dragon (Dunk's will; chock full of badass)

Those are currently on my "every Shadowrun player should read these" list. My list changes now and then. Actually, there have been a few threads on just this over the last couple of years, so if you can find those you'll probably get a ton of ideas.

Edit: Also, for your reference, here's the list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shadowrun_books

edit edit: Oops, you said you had tried searching. Missed that. :grinbig:

edit edit edit: A few threads that may or may not help:
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=16699

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=14096

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=11423

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=9407

K, now I need to work. ;)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 2 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (eidolon)
- Shadowbeat
- Lone Star
- Cybertechnology
- Seattle Sourcebook (original)
- Portfolio of a Dragon

I'd probably replace Lone Star with Fields of Fire. but nice list.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Oct 2 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Everyone seems to love Hatchetman. To be fair, there are clearly a lot of really awesome characters from Shadowrun's past. Poor Captain Chaos. Here's hoping he isn't lost to the digital void. Wasn't there a book that talked about the economy of the Sixth World? That sounded pretty cool, but then, I'm an econ major.

Edit: And apparently people like the Lone Star book? And the campaign around the Renraku Arcology stuff sounds cool, for the same reasons System Failure does.

Those threads do help, Eidolon, thanks. I actually remembered reading one of them previously, but I couldn't find it again now that I need it. Still, people like talking about awesome stuff; who else has a favorite book?

Edit Edit: And now with KK's chiming in I'm hearing a lot of stuff about Shadowbeat. What is that, and how is it awesome?

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 2 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...I have to concur with eidolon, particularly on Shadowbeat.

I am also partial to the London Sourcebook which I feel is some of the best location fluff I have read. I am still using it as a reference for the "everyday" details of UK life and society.

There is another little used ('cept by me of course) source which is in the back of Paradise Lost module. It details the Kingdom of Hawai'i pretty well (better than Shadows of Asia). And it's true, Haole's can't surf.

Bug City is a totally badass setting and fairly dear to me as I grew up in that podunk town called Milwaukee just to the north and made numerous trips to Chicago.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Oct 3 2007, 04:05 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I really liked Mr Johnson's little black book; but I Gm, so maybe I am biased. It nevertheless includes lots of nice ideas; same goes for Sprawl Survival Guide -which is better for players, IMHO.

I also loved the Tir Tairngire sourcebook, it opened my eyes to the mystery underlying shadowrun's metaplot. Lot's of run ideas, too.

Of course, for practical gaming purposes it would be really handy to get the SR4 BBB if you don't own a copy, Augmentation or SM are cool too, but you are probably getting those anyway, so I encourage you to delve into the past...

Cheers, and happy hunting!

Max

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Oct 3 2007, 05:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Yeah, I have the BBB sitting on my shelf, and I can get Street Magic or Augmentation any time, but the old books, those ones have the extra cool factor. I mean, if you could choose any one Shadowrun book, what would your choice be?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Oct 3 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

If I had to pick one, the original Seattle sourcebook, largely because there's not a lot of space devoted to rules you won't use.

+Quote Post
It trolls!
post Oct 3 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,049

Sadly I have never had a chance to read Shadowbeat or the Lone Star sourcebook and I think I might be too young to appreciate the style of the Seattle Sourcebook (or just might not get much of it because I've never been there) but I can certainly agree on Cybertechnology as the best sourcebook out there.
For some reason I have strong emotional ties to the companion as in the past there were many groups where I showed the book around and the players exploded with awesome after they saw that there was an official alternative to the priority-based character creation system.
Last but not least: Bug City. A book full of good writing and even useful in a SR4 campaign if you're not too strict about the timeline.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 3 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Shadowbeat. Bug City is great, but it suffers from a lack of rockers that that leaves it just short of awesome.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Oct 3 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

The Sprawl Survival Guide.
See the Daily Life part of the SR4 BBB ? Expand it to a whole book and you've got the SSG.
It could be better, but I still think it's a must-read to realize what it's like to live in the 2060s.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 3 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (Max Hunter)
I also loved the Tir Tairngire sourcebook, it opened my eyes to the mystery underlying shadowrun's metaplot. Lot's of run ideas, too.

...have it, was excited when I bought it, disappointed after I read it as I was using Portland as a setting before the book came out. Made several months of work pretty useless and really not a playable setting for a long running campaign. Personally I had difficulty understanding how an even moderate sized runner community could exist (even in Portland) under such a totalitarian regime that is heavy on the magic end.

About the only real mileage I got out of it was in writing the Short One's biograph. (#11).

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 3 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #13

ghostrider

QUOTE (KK)
I am also partial to the London Sourcebook which I feel is some of the best location fluff I have read.

Agreed. Very good book.

And I was a bit harsh-sounding regarding the 3e books I think. Several of them are really good, notably the already mentioned Sprawl Survival Guide and Mr. Johnson's Little Black Book. It's just that if I had to pick a "feel" for all SR books to have, it would be the colorful feel of 2e books rather than the sometimes sterile feel of 3d. (And it seems that 4 is bridging the gap, although I haven't had time to read the fiction in SM and Aug due to needing to stick to rules for the moment.)

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Oct 3 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #14

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (It trolls!)
For some reason I have strong emotional ties to the companion as in the past there were many groups where I showed the book around and the players exploded with awesome after they saw that there was an official alternative to the priority-based character creation system.

Second or third edition Companion? Just trying to keep it clarified.

I am the book giver in this instance as the Fiction Contest award. If anyone else wants to put up awards for other stories, I am sure the authors would appreciate it. :)

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Oct 3 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I liked Street Samurai Catalog and Fields of Fire from 2E.

I missed the pics and ad-like layout in 3E and 4E.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Oct 3 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (tisoz)
I am the book giver in this instance as the Fiction Contest award.  If anyone else wants to put up awards for other stories, I am sure the authors would appreciate it. :)

Yep, this is the case. That Buddha story got a lot of votes, just saying. So I'm hearing things like SSG, Shadowbeat, Cybertechnology, Bug City, Lone Star. Maybe I'll pick one more and roll a die.
QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Shadowbeat. Bug City is great, but it suffers from a lack of rockers that that leaves it just short of awesome.

I've heard people mention rockers before. Is that what's in Shadowbeat? Material for playing a rocker? Really?
Also, is Cybertechnology all fiction, or a blend of fiction and rules? Please forgive my ignorance, just trying to get a full picture, here.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 3 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #17

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Cybertechnology is a lot of rules. It's like Augmentation. So the rules sections will be pretty much useless to you, but the fiction is superb.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 3 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I liked Street Samurai Catalog and Fields of Fire from 2E.

I missed the pics and ad-like layout in 3E and 4E.

...I have to agree on the Catalogue look of the SSC and FoF. I believe that presentation style did a lot to help with the feel of the game setting. Like many before have mentioned I also miss the old Shadowland comments which sadly all but disappeared by 3rd ed (SoE & SoA being two notable exceptions which made them a more entertaining read).

I have to second Crusher Bob on the 2nd ed Seattle Sourcebook as well. Again excellent fluff lots of nice locations to draw from (I still find it very useful as well). As with the London Sourcebook the photo ads were a very nice touch. They should have done the TT and all the other location fluff books this way as well.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Oct 3 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

Hmm... it realy depends on your reason to get the book.

If you want it for the cool factor, the ask for a Shadowrun 3rd Ed. limited edition (black "leather"), alternatively a 4th edition limited edition (also black "leather").

If you want it for a cool and historical setting then ask for Universal Brotherhood.

These three are both fairly rare and difficult to get hold of, where as many of the other ones, including most mentioned abov, can be found on ebay fairly often at a reasonable price.

Lars

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 3 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #20

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Larsine)
These three are both fairly rare and difficult to get hold of, where as many of the other ones, including most mentioned abov, can be found on ebay fairly often at a reasonable price.

Excellent point.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 3 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #21

ghostrider

Six copies of Universal Brotherhood at various price levels.

No limiteds up at the moment that I could find.

Can't believe I forgot to suggest the Street Samurai Catalog. In fact, get both of them just because it's fun to have them.

+Quote Post
It trolls!
post Oct 3 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,049

QUOTE (tisoz)
Second or third edition Companion? Just trying to keep it clarified.

Second. I thought Third was called Companion Revised or such? Never owned that one but I guess it'd be pretty much the same with minor changes?

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Oct 4 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #23

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Larsine)
Hmm... it realy depends on your reason to get the book.

If you want it for the cool factor, the ask for a Shadowrun 3rd Ed. limited edition (black "leather"), alternatively a 4th edition limited edition (also black "leather").

If you want it for a cool and historical setting then ask for Universal Brotherhood.

Lars

Gee, thanks for making it about the price. I said he could ask for any book and I will try to accomodate. I will say the Limited Editions of any edition are not going to get awarded this contest. I will have to check to see how many copies of Universal Brotherhood I have.

Luckily, none of these seem to be on his current list.
SSG, Shadowbeat, Cybertechnology, Bug City, Lone Star.
Of those books on the list, the only one I am unsure about having multiples is Lone Star and SSG. I think I can get a SSG though.

Shadowbeat has rules for Reporters, Rockers, and information about pirate broadcasts, entertainment and sports.

Cybertechnology is the second cyber and bioware book which includes equipment, the Hatchetman story and cybered up some NPC builds.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Oct 4 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #24

Free Spirit

QUOTE (It trolls!)
QUOTE (tisoz @ Oct 3 2007, 02:04 PM)
Second or third edition Companion?  Just trying to keep it clarified.

Second. I thought Third was called Companion Revised or such? Never owned that one but I guess it'd be pretty much the same with minor changes?

They are both called SR Companion and are very similar with some minor changes.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Oct 4 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

My personal favorite is Cyberpirates. Lots of world info, plus the best, IMO, Shadowland chatter.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:36 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.