IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ultrasonic Adepts, Echolocation or just muppets?
raggedhalo
post Oct 4 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,515

Hi all,

This is my first post here on Dumpshock, though I've been playing and GMing Shadowrun since 2nd Ed. Anyhow, I've just started running a 4th Ed campaign set in Denver, and one of the players asked for the ultrasound vision mod as an adept power.

After looking over the rules, I figured that wasn't allowed, because the eye-mod for ultrasound requires a technological aspect (the ultrasound emitter). So he asked whether he could do it with the combo of ultrasound ear-enhancement and voice modulation (so he can make ultrasonic meeping noises, I guess).

I remember reading something like this in Augmentation, but can't find the reference. I figure he needs to take a Free Action to "speak" his ultrasonic emission, but should I run it as being exactly like the ultrasound vision mod or a bit different?

Cheers,
Joe
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eurotroll
post Oct 4 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 13,215

The reference in Augmentation is on pages 63-64, I believe -- Echolocation bioware.

However, given the description, I don't see why an Adept shouldn't be able to do the same with Voice Modulation, Improved Sense (High Frequency Hearing) and Improved Sense (Echolocation). I'd allow it in my game as the exact same thing, seeing how it is nothing but a magical version of a cyber-enhancement.

+Quote Post
Mr. Croup
post Oct 4 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,548

The tough part would be working out PP costings, maybe have them analogous to echolocation essence costings?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 4 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I just treat it as a Sense, just like any other sense, and peg it at .25 PP. I don't see a need to get any more detailed than that, as it is supposed to be magic.

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Oct 4 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 13,170

The technological aspect shouldn't be an issue, this is a direct reproduction of an animal sense (and as far as I know, bats don't have electronic emmiters).

Another interesting animal sense to look at would be a sharks electrical sense . . . Giving you and idea of the life forms around you.

Havn't thought about how it would work in detail, but it could be interesting.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Oct 4 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

QUOTE (Cweord @ Oct 4 2007, 06:07 AM)
The technological aspect shouldn't be an issue, this is a direct reproduction of an animal sense (and as far as I know, bats don't have electronic emmiters).

Another interesting animal sense to look at would be a sharks electrical sense . . .  Giving you and idea of the life forms around you.

Havn't thought about how it would work in detail, but it could be interesting.

The shark sense wouldn't work outside of water. The sense does more than just give you an idea of the lifeforms around you, at least according to what is thought by scientists. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember things like water temperature and finding north. There are other things it is believed to do, but I fail to remember at the moment.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 4 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Fortune)
I just treat it as a Sense, just like any other sense, and peg it at .25 PP. I don't see a need to get any more detailed than that, as it is supposed to be magic.

/agree

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Oct 4 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 13,170

QUOTE (Eleazar)
The shark sense wouldn't work outside of water. The sense does more than just give you an idea of the lifeforms around you, at least according to what is thought by scientists. I don't remember the specifics, but I do remember things like water temperature and finding north. There are other things it is believed to do, but I fail to remember at the moment.

The sense of small, water pressure and vibration sense wouldn't work underwater, but there is no indication that the sense of magnetic fields (including the ones made by moving muscles) would require immersion.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Oct 4 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Cweord)
QUOTE (Eleazar @ Oct 4 2007, 06:26 AM)

The sense of small, water pressure and vibration sense wouldn't work underwater, but there is no indication that the sense of magnetic fields (including the ones made by moving muscles) would require immersion.

Let's stop and think about that for a moment...

Sharks are reputed to be able to smell blood in water at levels of 1 drop per 25 million at up to 1/4 mile away. That is an incredible level of sense of smell.

================

Sense of water pressure doesn't work in water? As opposed to it working where?

================

Lastly... vibration based senses doesn't work in water? Then I guess it's just fiction that one can hear sounds (which are VIBRATIONS) much further and clearer while in water than in air?

The last I checked, the denser the transmission material, the more detectable the vibrations in it are.

In fact, check out the following search terms "shark sense of smell" and check out the first two links. Here's the first & second ones...

1. http://www.milton.edu/academics/pages/mari...ebio/shark.html

2. http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/...my/Senses.shtml

+Quote Post
CyberKender
post Oct 4 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 11,895

A shark's electrical sense would work in air, but the sensitivity of the sense would have to be a magnitude greater since air is a poor conductor compared to water. The spell/magical effect Detect Life would be a *much* simpler way of duplicating it.

You can do like a shark's sense of smell, it's just an increased (existing) sense. But I would say that an adept isn't going to be as sensitive.

The air equivalent of a fish's lateral line sense is hearing. Both are merely the detection of pressure waves in a transmitting medium. Again, the fish has the advantage of water being a much better transmitter of sound, and that the lateral line is like having a hundred ears with which to determine range and direction. A spell/magical effect of Detect Motion would be a simple way of duplicating the effect.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.