IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Destroying a man, if you were my players...
Aristotle
post Oct 5 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #1

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

So I may have a regular group again, which means I finally get some real tabletop 4th Edition play time. I'm developing a campaign now. I like to weave two or three larger story arcs that play out over the course of a campaign, to give the illusion of depth. Then I let character backgrounds supply me with recurring story arcs that I pull to the front now and then to keep folks on their toes. One that I'm considering involves destroying a man.

A powerful underworld boss calls on the runners to avenge his dead daughter. He wants it to be slow. The man that killed her has no clue who she was. She was just a girl in a club. There won't be any moral guilt trip from the GM here. This wasn't this guy's first victim. He's evil, and deserves what's coming to him. Here is what I've decided about the mark thus far:

He's the CEO and president of a very wealthy local corp, on the verge of becoming much larger. Larger corps have their eyes on this one, and the competition from comparable corps is hot and heavy. I don't know what he produces yet. The campaign is set in Baltimore, MD.

He has a wife and two very young children. I'll likely paint the family as innocents that should not be harmed.

This should not be a quick hit. The underworld boss wants this man to lose everything he cares about, one way or the other. He wants the man broken over time... and then maybe he'll kill him.

The runners aren't getting any financing. This run will be 'an offer they can't refuse'. A request for a favor from a very powerful figure in the shadows. They'll definitely get rewarded in the end, but they are expected to come up with their own methods and financing. I'm hoping this will lengthen the story arc, as they take other runs to finance this one or to do legwork for this one.

So... if you were my players, what questions would you ask? What sort of runs/actions would you plan? How would you go about destroying a man?

I'm hoping to get some idea as to what my players will throw at me, or what I might suggest, so I can be prepared once things start flowing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Oct 5 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

How do you "destroy the man" and not harm his family?

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Oct 5 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Slacker Extraordinaire

QUOTE (coolgrafix)
How do you "destroy the man" and not harm his family?

Not kill. Sorry if I was vague.

He doesn't hurt the wife (or kids), like he does other women, so he must have some sort of special attachment to her... Maybe they could cook up and provide the wife with evidence that he is sleeping around? I'm not certain.

I know the players, and that they all have small children themselves, so I know they won't be up for any direct violence against the kids. The idea of giving the man a family was really just to give the players one more thing to take away from him... asking that they do it without harming them just forces them to be more creative about it. I hope.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 5 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,869

A powerful underworld crime boss wants you to destroy a man for killing his daughter but doesn't want you to kill him or his family?

I call no way.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 5 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #5

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Why is that, exactly? Have you never seen The Godfather? The family is off limits in Family business.

Aris, I would think that destroying him in his family's eyes would be a good start. Stuff like hacking his accounts and putting in receipts for bunraku time, other "unexplained" bills. Maybe saddle him up with some less-than-virtuous debt to go along with it.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 5 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Buster)
A powerful underworld crime boss wants you to destroy a man for killing his daughter but doesn't want you to kill him or his family?

I call no way.

Indeed.
How about: The crime boss wants you to destroy him. Just do whatever is necessary to destroy this man. You should probably start by killing his family.
Now naturally, your players will balk at this. If they don't, be prepared to give them an opportunity to see the happy family before they pull the trigger. So the crime boss just wants the guy destroyed. The players (and thus the characters) decide to do it without killing the family, thereby making their own jobs harder. Every so often the crime boss calls up to check on them and see how they're doing, and maybe rail them about, "Why the hell don't you just kill his family already? What's wrong with you!?" Classic dark comedy; I'm giggling just thinking about it.

See, IMO you're looking at this the wrong way. You're saying, "I know my players, and they won't kill the family, so the crime boss will say don't kill the family." I'm looking at this and saying, "You know your players, and they won't kill the family, so the crime boss should say go ahead and kill 'em all." This actually gives the players and characters a chance to wrestle with morality a little bit, and will probably give you a better story. If the mission is to not kill the family, then there's no moral dilemma. Less fun IMO. As always, you know your group better than us so YMMV.

Of course, be prepared for the players to surprise you and just ice the wife and kids in a heartbeat, but y'know, if you wanted to know how the story ended you'd be a novelist, not a GM. ;-)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 5 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #7

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Destroy his business, or take it away, then destroy the man. Is there a rival in this mans corp they can get to attempt to take over the company? Can they get rival corps to screw up the mega takeover deal?

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Oct 5 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Besides, it's believable that someone may not want innocent bystanders harmed just because the jerk happens to live with them.

If someone did that to *my* daughters... I'd make sure they knew they were being destroyed and could do nothing to stop it. I'd take their family away from them, their success, their happiness, society itself would turn on them. I'd want to make the idiot suffer.

By that same token, the family of the idiot did nothing wrong except to be his family. My beef isn't with them unless they interject themselves into the problem.

==========

Yes, you can use that as some of the mindset of the guy who wants the idiot offed slowly.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Oct 5 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #9

Slacker Extraordinaire

The man will be killed, although the runners are more likely to witness that then do it themselves. It's too early to tell. If they want it badly enough, I'll certainly put my players behind the trigger.

As for the family? A lot of mafia fiction gives wives and children a pass, so long as they themselves haven't betrayed the organization. The don, in my opinion, is trying to put himself on moral high ground by not taking the children of the man who took his. If that is just too inplausable, I can tank the family. I expected that portion of his life to be "destroyed" early on anyway, while legwork is done on the man's one true love: his corporation.

I'm hoping the corp thing plays out interestingly. Physical and matrix runs to dig up dirt. Messing with accounts. Hijacking deliveries. I don't know what my players will come up with, hence this thread.

<edit> Moon-Hawk makes a good argument. I'll consider it. I've just come off as beating my players with the morality stick a little hard in the past (see my posts in the dirty GM tricks thread from a few months ago for samples) and was looking to free them up from it a bit.</edit>

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Oct 5 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #10

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

QUOTE (Buster)

I call no way.

It may be SOP for some underworld figures to kill or maim family members, but it's hardly "the way it is." Which will hurt a man more, killing him and his family quickly, or making his wife and child grow to loathe and fear him?

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Oct 5 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,137

QUOTE (Aristotle)

A powerful underworld boss calls on the runners to avenge his dead daughter. He wants it to be slow. The man that killed her has no clue who she was. She was just a girl in a club. There won't be any moral guilt trip from the GM here. This wasn't this guy's first victim. He's evil, and deserves what's coming to him. Here is what I've decided about the mark thus far:

He's the CEO and president of a very wealthy local corp, on the verge of becoming much larger. Larger corps have their eyes on this one, and the competition from comparable corps is hot and heavy. I don't know what he produces yet. The campaign is set in Baltimore, MD.

He has a wife and two very young children. I'll likely paint the family as innocents that should not be harmed.

Well there goes the first plan... :D

One thing I would consider was trying to hit him through the company. Destroying a company is probably unrealistic, but if possible I'd try to create or reveal some very public scandals or failures, preferably some that could be tied to the CEO directly.

Could try to destroy his house in an "accident" like a fire (yes, yes while the family is elsewhere, *grumbles*) sure he's probably insured, but having your house burn down is still very stressful, particularly if other accidents happen as well (hmm, could try to hack the insurance company and erase his last policy, or possibly erase the evidence that he made his last payment). If the house is to well guarded have his favourite car trashed, sure it's petty, but petty is my middle name. :lick:

If possible I'd try to conceal the fact that anyone was out to get him, I think it would work better if he doesn't understand why his life comes crumbling down and it prevents him from turning the tables.

Question, hmm. Well everything about his company, what does it do? Is there a board that might fire him or does he have total control? Does it do anything shady? What kind of facilities does it have? How many? Where? What is the security? Is there anyone in the company who doesn’t like him? Anyone who left the company on bad terms that might provide insider information? What does he care about? What are his habits? Is he doing anything he wouldn’t like the public or his wife to know (other than the obvious)? Stuff like that.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 5 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Adarael)
Which will hurt a man more, killing him and his family quickly, or making his wife and child grow to loathe and fear him?

He has a wife and two kids. You could do both. ;)

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Oct 5 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Oct 6 2007, 01:13 AM)
Which will hurt a man more, killing him and his family quickly, or making his wife and child grow to loathe and fear him?

Kill one of them and plant evidence that he did it.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Oct 5 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

You're sick old man.

I'm ith eidolon, in that ostrocizing the family first seems the way to go. Create the rift, then nurture a long time divide, and help the wife get remarried to a young gym instructor. Don't make it the central part of the campaign, but something they're working on as a side line to other jobs. Especially if they aren't getting paid. Remove them from the picture in a way that's painful to the mark and keep cutting away at him.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 5 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #15

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Kerberos)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 5 2007, 10:18 AM)

If you do it right, even he won't be sure that he didn't.

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Oct 5 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Kerberos @ Oct 5 2007, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Oct 5 2007, 10:18 AM)

If you do it right, even he won't be sure that he didn't.

If you do it right, he did do it... :D

+Quote Post
Kerberos
post Oct 5 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
You're sick old man.

Who? Me? I'm not old.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 5 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

The thing for the GM, if not the players, to keep in mind is that anyone with that much money and resources can and will (eventually the corp security will if he doesn't) bring in people with real skills. Forensic mages, People to throw up 8+ point wards, hackers to take apart data trails and look for bugs, PSD to keep people away from him, the family, his office, and the house, etc. All of whom are the best money can buy and many more than the typical group of players.

If they don't peel off the resources early they won't get to do it later.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 5 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Kerberos)
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Oct 5 2007, 10:24 AM)
You're sick old man.

Who? Me? I'm not old.

He meant me. ;)

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Oct 5 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #20

Slacker Extraordinaire

QUOTE (Kerberos)
Question, hmm. Well everything about his company, what does it do? Is there a board that might fire him or does he have total control? Does it do anything shady? What kind of facilities does it have? How many? Where? What is the security? Is there anyone in the company who doesn’t like him? Anyone who left the company on bad terms that might provide insider information? What does he care about? What are his habits? Is he doing anything he wouldn’t like the public or his wife to know (other than the obvious)? Stuff like that.

Okay...

Maryland is a decent place for defense subcontractors. Given that I work for one, that gives me a little experience with it. I'm guessing the company is currently privately owned by our mark... but maybe with some silent partners who have invested heavily and expect to see returns. That puts some heat on our executive, and gives him someone to report to. I'm painting Baltimore as being controlled by organized crime (sort of the way "Corp Enclaves" will feature corporate controlled cities) so maybe the Triads or the Russians are backing our guy. That could lead to some syndicate on syndicate action later. The defense thing puts a federal spotlight on things too.

What they produce? I'm thinking technology. Maybe computers? How about drones? With some next-generation spy drone on the drawing boards, and producing most of the buzz regarding the companies growth. Something physical that can be taken. Something that might have prototypes. The runners aren't being told if they are getting paid, but they haven't been told they can't profit from whatever they do in the process of taking out the mark.

I'm going to guess they have a small campus. An office building and a pretty secure production and R&D building. Probably some off-site warehousing too. Maybe 300 employees?

It's okay if the main facility is a little intimidating to the players. They are expected to build these characters a little before going all out.

Going after former employees is a good idea. I might work up some backgrounds on disgruntled ex-employees.

Does he have habits? Now we are getting specific. Well.. he hits the clubs, picks up young women, and beats them to death. But I covered that already. He works out. He probably does something aggressive (boxing, kick-boxing, etc..) and is likely ex-military. Whatever his schedule is, he likely sticks to it down to the minute. The only time he allows himself to be free of the clock is when he is on the hunt.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 5 2007, 03:55 PM
Post #21

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

If the corp is in Balmer, there's a good chance it'll be involved with import/export or biomedical, I'm thinking. FDC was expanded in part so it could keep all those federal contractors in around the same place, and I'm not aware of any serious number of contractors up here right now anyway. In general, weapons contractors like to be farther from the city. Lower costs, less complaints from neighbors. Currently Baltimore is one of the biggest ports in the US and the biggest employer is Johns Hopkins (also does a lot of work in chemical engineering, if I recall, but not as much as those two other industries). Both of those tie in nicely with organized crime, and organized crime would DEFINITELY big a big player in the area (again, port city, great position for smuggling, very close to a lot of political big wigs).

How would I destroy the man? First generate (or find) evidence that would lead to a painful (and expensive) divorce. Prove that he's cheating, that he threatened the kid, something like that. That hits several birds with one shotgun; it takes away his family painfully, takes a bite out of his cash, and keeps the family out of the way for later stuff.

Once his family life is ruined, you clearly take away his other nice stuff. Your goal is to end with his most critical psychological handholds (generally the dog). If you kill his dog THEN work on making him lose his job, he won't form the psychological connection to his work, so losing his job won't hurt as much. On the other hand, if you make him lose his job THEN kill his dog, during that time between the two events he'll likely turn to the dog more for emotional support and having the dog die will hurt more.

The exception is the family, because if you start pulling out other stuff and he becomes more needy, his family is likely to feel more obligated to support him, and then you'll need to kill them to take them out of the picture. That is worth noting, as you pull out supports, make sure the last ones there you don't mind killing, since they're less likely to come out gently.

So what you want to get from the Johnson is firstly a psychological profile, secondly a statement of assets, thirdly a social network diagram. You want to prioritize his connections by those of most value to him, most damaging, and those he may turn to as other things disappear (plus security stuff, of course. They can't make him lose his job without knowing more about his job. Can't burn down his house without knowing the local security.)

Unfortunately, this job, to be done right, will require either a very lenient GM, or a lot of unusual tools and social networking.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Oct 5 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #22

Slacker Extraordinaire

QUOTE (kzt)
The thing for the GM, if not the players, to keep in mind is that anyone with that much money and resources can and will (eventually the corp security will if he doesn't) bring in people with real skills.

Excellent point. I want to draw this out slowly, unless the players really botch it, but I want to keep this sort of thing in mind. So long as the players are coming up with good ideas (and having fun) I'll pour on this sort of pressure to keep the threat level of their goal in check with the resources and karma they are earning along the way.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 5 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #23

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

A Free Man for a Free Man, A Slave for a Slave, a Woman or a Woman, and a Child for a Child. Justice should always be proportional.

Although, to be perfectly reasonable, the mafia boss should just charge the corp manager a sum of money equal to that which is necessary to replace the dead daughter.

But, since we're destroying him here, I have two suggestions that are quick and nasty.

First is a favorite of one of my more sadistic characters, but it can cost a great deal of money. Pluck out his eyes, cut out his tongue and his teeth, remove his lower jaw completely, puncture his ear drums, cauterize his sinuses, and cut off all of his skin off from head to toe and amputate his arms and his legs. Then, take him to an extraterritorial hospital. Explain to the doctors with a wink, a nod, and an absurdly large bribe, that he's your brother and due to his religious convictions he does not want any sort of medical treatment other than the bare minimum required to keep him alive, nor does he want any pain killers of any sort, and he doesn't want to use any sort of magical or DNI communications to confirm these wishes, preferring that you handle all of his medical decisions.
And thus he lives, for as long as a member of his metatype can live, with no sensation other than excruciating physical pain and no communications with the outside world.

Or. Take him to a bodysculpter and have him turned into an exact replica of the woman whom he killed. Use Genetech to alter his DNA such that he is unidentifiable. Hit him (now her) in the head with a blunt object (or use psychotropic IC) until she develops total amnesia. Take her to the mafia boss and have the mafia boss treat her as if she were his daughter with amnesia. Give the victim no idea that anything is wrong. Treat her with complete kindness and love, untill she grows to love her apparent family. In the meantime, replace him with a bioscultped genetically altered persona-fixed actor with all of the target's memories on the P-fix chip and all of his personality traits except for his murderous proclivities. Bonus points if the genetically modified p-fixed replacement is also a flesh-form spirit.
Then start with a mysterious faux assassination attempt and leave a complex trail of clues for her to determine her real identity. Once she learns the truth about her past and regains her memory along with the understanding that another person is living her former life while she wears the face of the woman whom she killed and there is no way that she can ever go back, give her a choice between continuing to live as the woman whom she killed when she was a man or taking a bullet in the back of the head. Or, better, don't give him the choice at all and P-fix him so that he'll know the truth but be unable to ever act on it, for all outward appearances believing himself to be the mafia bosses' daughter while being internally tortured by the knowledge that his real life was stolen from him.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Oct 5 2007, 04:06 PM
Post #24

Slacker Extraordinaire

I... wow... *no words*

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Oct 5 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Yes, there are some sick and twisted people in this world.

Aren't you glad that many of us play here on Dumpshock?

:grinbig:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.