IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nuyen 'Cost' or Essence Cost or Both?, Re: Positive Qualities from Augmentation
HappyDaze
post Oct 8 2007, 05:45 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,669

Both Genecrafted and Genetic Heritage grant a reduction to the 'cost' of geneware under specific conditions.

Genecrafted gives a 20% reduction in 'cost' for anything taken during character creation - does this apply only to the Nuyen Cost or does it apply to the Essence Cost as well?

Likewise, does the character have to pay any Essence for the 'free' geneware modification gained from Genetic Heritage?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
de4dmeta1
post Oct 8 2007, 06:39 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,405

Genecrafted gives a 20% reduction in 'cost' for anything taken during character creation - does this apply only to the Nuyen Cost or does it apply to the Essence Cost as well?

Just makes it cheaper in terms of Nuyen, unless the character somehow has less modded dna to achieve the usual results of whatever cocktail he was shot up with. Which I don't really see as an option without being a rapidly dying gene freak.

Likewise, does the character have to pay any Essence for the 'free' geneware modification gained from Genetic Heritage?

I look at it this way - even if someone crafts you a deltaware MoveByWire system at no charge, though it may be free, it'll still royally frag with your body.

Generally, if something affects the Essence costs of any kind of ware, it specifically says so, like Biocompatibility. I think it's one of those things that the makers would've made especially sure of.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 8 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Interesting, I took the exact opposite meaning from de4dmeta1. I assumed the cost reductions for positive qualities in Aug. effected essence and not nuyen and that the Genetic Heritage would be for free because its ... well ... a part of your heritage.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Oct 8 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

I look at it this way - even if someone crafts you a deltaware MoveByWire system at no charge, though it may be free, it'll still royally frag with your body.

However, you can't be born with a M-b-W System while Genetic Heritage says that you were born with the modification - you've never been without it even at the first cellular division. To me that would imply that it shouldn't really cost you Essence.

+Quote Post
de4dmeta1
post Oct 8 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,405

That's definately an interesting point to consider. I guess it really wouldn't be 'foreign code' if you were born with it, eh? As for the rules, I noticed something that should help clear a few things up.

Following is from the description of Genecrafted; bold is added for emphasis.
QUOTE (p.20 @ Augmentation, SR4)
In game terms, any genetic enhancements (see p. 72) purchased at character creation are reduced in Cost by 20 percent.

Now, in this respect, I take it to mean that the nuyen cost is reduced by 20% - reason being that Cost is capitalized in the same manner as on the gear charts.

This bit is from Genetic Inheritance; again, bold added for emphasis.
QUOTE (p.20 @ Augmentation, SR4)
Such an inheritance means the character can start play with one genetic modification (see p. 72) for free. Such characters also possess an unusually high tolerance to the introduction of foreign code into their genome.

This one does read as though the genemod has no cost at all. Which, given the explanation for the character having the mod, makes perfect sense.

Having re-read the section, it seems all parties involved were at least somewhat correct. (How often does that happen 'round these parts?)

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Oct 8 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (HappyDaze)

However, you can't be born with a M-b-W System while Genetic Heritage says that you were born with the modification - you've never been without it even at the first cellular division. To me that would imply that it shouldn't really cost you Essence.

Don't forget though that Essence loss is a means of representing the differences between your physical template and your metaphysical template.

Change the meat body too much and the spirit leaves.

Sure with the example you are talking about, you'd expect to not lose any Essence but your Metaphysical template wasn't suitably altered to match up with your Physical template.

Which if you think about it opens up some interesting lines of thought... perhaps someone has figured out how to alter the metaphysical template to perhaps make one MORE magical or otherwise more "in-tune" with the physical profile...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.