IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wired Reflexes and Firearms - Laws of Mechanics, I don't care how fast you are...
Kool Kat
post Oct 10 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,422

Something interesting was brought up at our last game session that I have to agree with. It's nit picking the rules and game universe but makes sense when put to the real world test.

WIRED RELFEXES - A lot of chromed up street monkies and wanna be Cyberzombs have them and while it is obvious their use in melee combat is well worth it's weight in nuyen in my opinion wired reflexes become useless when firearms are involved in the attack.

While wired reflexes will help you reload your weapon faster, help you draw it faster and help you aim quicker than your average mundane meatbod Joe, the weapon in your hand ultimately controls your speed.

Firearms are designed to fire at certain speeds. It's the mechanics of the weapon. It takes a certain amount of time for the trigger to be pulled, the firing pin to slam into the round, ignite the powder, send the bullet on its way, eject the spent case, chamber a new round and repeat the process.

No amount of Wired Reflexes will make the weapon shoot faster. So I find it a bit unfair the amount of whip ass Wired up characters/NPCs can do with firearms and wired reflexes turned on.

A semi-auto pistol can only cycle so fast. If you keep pulling on the trigger faster than the weapon can cycle you are going to jam it up something good. That SMG can only spit out bullets so fast.. you can't make it shoot faster.

So, to me, a firearm should negate your Wired Reflexes bonus when doing ranged combat. Does anyone else see it this way?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 10 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #2

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

I wonder what else in a game with dragons, wizards, elves, artificial intelligences, and other assorted Horrors doesn't model well from the real world.

+Quote Post
galathrax
post Oct 10 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 13,630

heh

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 10 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

With a maximum of 4 IPs per 3 second turn, that's 1 double tap every 0.75 seconds. Machine guns fire lots faster than that, so it's well within the realm of physics.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 10 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

If you look at typical cyclic rates for firearms, the 4IP people have it just about right. It's those unaugmented who waste most of their time being inefficient.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Oct 10 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

The problem is that a modern semi-auto pistol has a RoF that well exceeds the fire rate in the game. Each combat round is 3 seconds, with 4 IP doing semi-auto shots you're fireing a bullet every .375 seconds which is 160 rounds per min, most modern weapons can sustain 300-800. Even blowback operated ones like the Beretta 93R can fire 1100 rnd/min. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_93R

I don't think even doing full auto weapons would max out their actual cyclic rate. With 10rd full auto from a lmg, you're doing 40 rds in 3 seconds, or 800 rnd/min which is faster than an M60, but slower than an MG3 from what I could find on wikipedia. So even a full auto weapon isn't outside the realm of possibility for its RoF.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Oct 10 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (Kool Kat)
Firearms are designed to fire at certain speeds. It's the mechanics of the weapon. It takes a certain amount of time for the trigger to be pulled, the firing pin to slam into the round, ignite the powder, send the bullet on its way, eject the spent case, chamber a new round and repeat the process.

Firing speeds for all but the gimpiest of weapons are vastly faster than Shadowrun shows them to be. I see no threat to realism here.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 10 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I will say, however, that if someone is in a non-combat situation, not aiming, not dodging, simply wasting ammunition as fast as possible, then they should probably be allowed to fire more than 2 shots per second. :-D

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 10 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

The real world example that I think breaks down in SR4 is full auto-fire. I don't understand why one runner with a single IP, holding down the trigger should fire less bullets than the 4IP chromed out cybermonkey.

No matter how many IPs you have, the time doesn't change. Its the same 3 seconds, right?

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Oct 10 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #10

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

QUOTE (deek)
The real world example that I think breaks down in SR4 is full auto-fire.

I'm not happy with the way that works either. It's similar, to me, to how faster characters get more passes AFTER the slower characters have taken all of theirs. I've toyed with reversing passes (but that makes the game considerably more lethal for non-augmented characters) and reversing the order of action (starting with the last person and moving towards the first, and allowing faster characters to interupt the actions of slower ones as they progress to simulate a character with a higher initiave's ability to track and respond to slower targets).

Anyway. to hand wave your argument, I would simply say that after a single full auto burst the 1IP character simply fails to keep up with the 4IP character as he moves away from the field of fire.

Of course, in closer quarters, the 1IP character would do well to use the rules for Supressive Fire (which does damage to the area through all 4 IPs) and turn the 4IP character's extra passes against him.

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Oct 10 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 13,170

I was actually thinking about this earlier, funny to get home and see a thread

The way I would (and probably will) handle it is if you are firing a full auto burst, and planning to do so for more than 1 rounds (e.g suppressive fire with an machine gun) have the 40 rounds, but max out the recoil at 10.

They aint going to be aiming, but for area suppressive fire it puts then back in the field. The rules may need a little tweaking (I didn't get out the rule books).

But I would also count it as 10 rounds per IP for people reacting to the suppressive fire to even things out a little.

I look forward to seeing the reacting to this idea, and where it gets taken.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Oct 10 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE (Cweord)
I was actually thinking about this earlier, funny to get home and see a thread

The way I would (and probably will) handle it is if you are firing a full auto burst, and planning to do so for more than 1 rounds (e.g suppressive fire with an machine gun) have the 40 rounds, but max out the recoil at 10.

They aint going to be aiming, but for area suppressive fire it puts then back in the field. The rules may need a little tweaking (I didn't get out the rule books).

But I would also count it as 10 rounds per IP for people reacting to the suppressive fire to even things out a little.

I look forward to seeing the reacting to this idea, and where it gets taken.

They already have suppressive fire rules in the game. I added a House rule that suppressive fire takes 10 shots, and takes all your IPs.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 10 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #13

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Yay, another OMGBBQ firearms aren't realistic in Shadowrun thread. Wheeee.

;)

+Quote Post
Kool Kat
post Oct 10 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
I will say, however, that if someone is in a non-combat situation, not aiming, not dodging, simply wasting ammunition as fast as possible, then they should probably be allowed to fire more than 2 shots per second. :-D

Good point on the opposite end of the spectrum. I can easily unload my entire magazine from my real Glock in 3 seconds. Just look at Chow Yun Fat in all his John Woo action movies blazing away with twin pistols with the Never Reload feat. :D

+Quote Post
Kool Kat
post Oct 10 2007, 06:54 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (deek)
The real world example that I think breaks down in SR4 is full auto-fire. I don't understand why one runner with a single IP, holding down the trigger should fire less bullets than the 4IP chromed out cybermonkey.

No matter how many IPs you have, the time doesn't change. Its the same 3 seconds, right?

This is the real point I was trying to make and the example that spawned my question.

I conceed the point on Semi-Auto and Burst weapons. Good points everyone but full Auto... 3 seconds is 3 seconds.

+Quote Post
Kool Kat
post Oct 10 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (eidolon @ Oct 10 2007, 01:37 PM)
Yay, another OMGBBQ firearms aren't realistic in Shadowrun thread.  Wheeee.

;)

It was not meant to BBQ firearms at all but to BBQ those that wield them while blurring about like speedy gonzalez. :D I just didn't think my Samurai should have been able to pour 50 rounds into a guy in 3 seconds when the weapon can only spit 30 out in that time frame realistically.

Still learning the SR4 way.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 10 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

QUOTE (Kool Kat)
It was not meant to BBQ firearms at all but to BBQ those that wield them while blurring about like speedy gonzalez. :D I just didn't think my Samurai should have been able to pour 50 rounds into a guy in 3 seconds when the weapon can only spit 30 out in that time frame realistically.

Still learning the SR4 way.

Samurai can't pour 50 rounds in 3 seconds though, at best, its 40. Which is 800RPM. And only with weapons with FA capability. All of which should easily handle 800RPM.

As was said, even pistols can be capable of that ROF.

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Oct 10 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (Aristotle @ Oct 10 2007, 06:17 PM)
QUOTE (deek @ Oct 10 2007, 01:31 PM)
The real world example that I think breaks down in SR4 is full auto-fire.

I'm not happy with the way that works either. It's similar, to me, to how faster characters get more passes AFTER the slower characters have taken all of theirs. I've toyed with reversing passes (but that makes the game considerably more lethal for non-augmented characters) and reversing the order of action (starting with the last person and moving towards the first, and allowing faster characters to interupt the actions of slower ones as they progress to simulate a character with a higher initiave's ability to track and respond to slower targets).

Hi,

The reason that happens is because SR4 is about game balance and therefore many of the mechanics and background have been expressly redone to enable everyone to 'enjoy' the game.

Also, comparing semi-auto pistol rate of fire with fully automatic guns isn't measuring like for like..
..Semi-auto pistols are designed and built to only fire they way do, semi-auto/fully-auto are designed and built to fire as they do.

Trying to get one to fire the same as the other doesn't really work - except in theory, in an ideal world.

The actuality of what someone whos body is able to respond much faster than the average person can do is debatable - just because your reflexes are jacked up doesn't mean the rest of you can cope, or the world outside your body responds as you expect.

Just my thruppence..

+Quote Post
Emperor Tippy
post Oct 10 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,346

I usually run IP's as 4,1,3,2

I've also toyed around with 4,3,1,2

I've found the first is fairly well balanced and teh second is ok.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Oct 10 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

QUOTE (deek)

It's actually worse than that...

A one-pass mundane's suppression fire is 4x as effective as a 4-IP sammy's - the suppression lasts until the shooter's next action.

On the other hand, 4-IP grenades apparently come pre-cooked, since they go off much sooner, even if thrown at the same point in time.

+Quote Post
Emperor Tippy
post Oct 10 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,346

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable)
QUOTE (deek @ Oct 10 2007, 05:31 PM)
The real world example that I think breaks down in SR4 is full auto-fire.  I don't understand why one runner with a single IP, holding down the trigger should fire less bullets than the 4IP chromed out cybermonkey.

No matter how many IPs you have, the time doesn't change.  Its the same 3 seconds, right?

It's actually worse than that...

A one-pass mundane's suppression fire is 4x as effective as a 4-IP sammy's - the suppression lasts until the shooter's next action.

On the other hand, 4-IP grenades apparently come pre-cooked, since they go off much sooner, even if thrown at the same point in time.

Well that actually makes sense. As soon as you stop your suppressing fire it stops being effective. For a 4 IP person that is far shorter than for a 1 IP person.

As for grenades, perhaps the 4 IP person pulls the pin, then aims, then throws, while the 1 IP person aims, pulls the pin, and throws. The 1 IP person also takes longer to do all of those actions.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Oct 10 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

The grenade issue can be solved simply by defining a specific number of IPs later that the grenade goes off. (In my game, we run combat different, as a series of ticks, each representing about a second of time. Grenades usually have a fuse of 2 to 5 ticks, 5 at default. I once threw the players for a loop by throwing a grenade with an extra long fuse.)

Rate of fire for sustained automatic fire? I don't have an answer, we don't think about it much. We assume that a full burst is just that, a burst, and we just don't have much actual sustained fire.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Oct 10 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

QUOTE (deek)

10 rounds is the minimum you can fire to get the full effect from each firing opportunity. If a player wanted to spray a lot of extra useless bullets into the air, I'd happily let him.

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Oct 10 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 13,170

My point with supressive earlier was that full suppressive across a full turn is going to empty anyones clip. your razor guy has to do it over potentially 4 ips so all you do is say that suppressive fire for a full round is 40 rounds, but that people can only be affected by 10 of them.

if a razor guy wants to suppress an area, it doesn't matter how fast he is, he has to fill the same area over the same period of time, so suppressing the area takes all of his IPs. As combat is supposed theoretically to be spread across the same period of time.

If you then deal with suppressive fire at the end of the round, so that if he stops suppressing half way through, you can cut down the no rounds suppression he can still react to external stimuli but it wont effect the suppression.

I do like the 4132 idea though

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 10 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I always feel that if a non wired person gets off less rounds using autofire than a wired person it has to do with the fact that it takes longer for the non wired person to apply pressure to the trigger and thus is autofire starts later in the turn and that is why he gets off less rounds per turn.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:49 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.