Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evil bordello owners setting up "home for youth"
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 11 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

So I found an article on how Hortaio Alger, the famous author, was in fact a pedophile. As part of this article, I found out about a pretty nefarious operation that seems like it would be a nice gritty and depressing backdrop for a Shadowrun game.

Many years ago, when I was barely more than a kid, age of twenty-two or twenty-three, I was dating a Native American woman who had a day-job changing the sheets in a boy bordello in Seattle. Sometimes I'd help her change the sheets so she could get away sooner & we could adventure around town. I never saw the inside of the place at night -- no women allowed when the sun went down. In the daytime, the boys lounged inert on the floor smoking cigarettes or marijuana while staring at a television. They did not speak. They barely moved. They seemed to be waiting for their lives to begin.

The bordello was run by an old faggot who was something of a professional "spokesman" for homeless youths, occasionally seen on the television news expounding on the hardships of boys living in the streets. He'd gotten grants from the city to provide housing for some of these boys. So the city government was duped into paying the bordello's rent! It is the commonest thing that advocates for youth are "in it" for personal reasons of this very sort.

The bordello was kittycorner from the Crescent Tavern, which in those days was a lesbian bar. Mona & I hung out there evenings, playing pool & chatting with other dykes. One night from our vantage-point at the Crescent, we saw police cars descending upon the bordello, red & blue lights spinning. The old male-madam, with a cluster of business-suited clientelle, & all the boys were gathered into vehicles & hauled away. Mona & I stood on the sidewalk in front of the tavern watching it all happen, & Mona said, "Damn, now I have to find a job."

For my own part I was glad to see it all go down. And gladder still that the repulsive geezer who'd tricked the city out of grants to "help" boys finally went to prison. But from the boys' point of view, it meant they now had to work in the streets & select their clientelle from among the frightening chickenhawks who hung around the side- & back-exits of the Monastary, a gay youth club run by a handsome but very horrible black man pretending to provide a safe alcohol-free entertainment-environment for kids too young to go to bars, & getting all outraged on the six o'clock news after each police raid.

There could be some home near the Barrens which is marketed as some kind of charitable enterprise and gets some kind of funding or public recognition. But in fact it's a gay brothel or something. It could be a good backdrop for a party's first run. Not too too tough on security, but a good touch on the grit, I think.

http://www.violetbooks.com/alger.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
swirler
post Oct 11 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

or possibly a new "hive" starting

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 11 2007, 05:18 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (swirler)

Or, the party's first run with noob players it's the bordello. A year later with the same gaming group give them what appears to be a repeat of their first mission but the second time over when they're more experienced it's actually a highly dangerous insect hive and everything inside feels that the PCs must not leave alive.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 11 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,771

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
QUOTE (swirler @ Oct 11 2007, 12:14 AM)

Or, the party's first run with noob players it's the bordello. A year later with the same gaming group give them what appears to be a repeat of their first mission but the second time over when they're more experienced it's actually a highly dangerous insect hive and everything inside feels that the PCs must not leave alive.

That or it's a bunch of butterfly shamans feeling FABULOUS!

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 11 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #5

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Ironically, shutting down the "evil" government-funded bordello actually makes things worse.

Perhaps the government should be in the business of pimping underaged 'hos for the greater good of society.

+Quote Post
Serial_Peacemake...
post Oct 11 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,483

Well ideally the set up would be that it would be you know, an *actual* home for young boys without any family.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 11 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

QUOTE (Gerzel)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 11 2007, 12:18 AM)

That or it's a bunch of butterfly shamans feeling FABULOUS!

I laugh out loud too much and I will have a problem with work.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 11 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Ironically, shutting down the "evil" government-funded bordello actually makes things worse.

Perhaps the government should be in the business of pimping underaged 'hos for the greater good of society.

Heh. Reminds me of the old urban legend about the USO importing clean whores to the boys in uniform overseas.

+Quote Post
martindv
post Oct 11 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

The Japanese had the right idea with comfort women.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 11 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Oct 11 2007, 01:43 PM)

Heh. Reminds me of the old urban legend about the USO importing clean whores to the boys in uniform overseas.

Shipping over clean prostitutes is absurd, since it is much easier to just sequester prostitutes, test them, and screen their clients. Which is what the Allies did in North Africa.

There are always plenty of locals who are desperate for money in a war zone.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 12 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (martindv @ Oct 11 2007, 01:56 PM)

That is offensive.

What is little known is that until the US could get enough USO girls into occupied Japan in 1945 they kept going with the whoring, also recruiting Japanese women who were starving after the collapse of the Japanese economy. something they didn't do to German women.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 12 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #12

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

I don't know about that, but my grandad, who was with the first people landing on the mainland, said the Japanese government gathered up as many 'pleasure girls' as they could in the hopes they could satiate the invading barbarians and keep them from raping the populace. Of course, the US military was on strict orders to watch their conduct, although I can't remember the specific reasoning any more. I'd look it up in my grandad's book, but that's currently in the Netherlands.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 12 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Providing economically disenfranchised women with gainful employment is hardly something that I would refer to with the verb phrase "do to". "Do for", certainly, but not "do to".

It is historically common for armies to bring their own prostitutes and camp followers. The real problem with the comfort women program is that it was implemented with poor oversight, particularly on the recruitment end.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 15 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Japan had encouraged the civilian populations of iwoto and Okinawa to killed themselves rather than fall into the hands of the americans. They painted the Americans as sex crazy brutes. They had no evidence beyond their own prejudice.

Even without orders Americans as a group are kind occupiers. Once the fighting is done they tend to be friendly and generous. I think they really do think how would they like their families to be treated. Many Japanese were so touched by the generosity of Americans, especially towards children, that it eased the shame of being defeated to the point that it is forgotten today.

The Tokyo government had painted the Americans as such brutes that when they offered their own food and medicine to the civilians of Okinawa, that those people were shocked by it. Look to just the riots in Okinawa in the last few weeks over proposed changes to Japanese school books about who were the real murderers on Okinawa.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 15 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Linky on the riots?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 15 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMo...ST8497020070929

http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/...id/286616/cs/1/

http://www.asianews.it/index.php?l=en&art=9666

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/news/stor...es/s2050307.htm

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 15 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Thankee.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 15 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

For those who do not use the links. In an on going white wash of WW2 history Tokyo removed references of the Imperial Army coercing civilians into committing suicide from School books. People in Okinawa keep very much alive the history that many were forced to suicide by the army, rather than fall into the hands of the barbarians. There is a wonderful photo of a GI holding out some food to a tiny old lady. Both are seen in profile. He is a young GI. She looks about 850 years old. they do not speak the same language, but there is a world of understanding shown in their faces. Both are human. neither is an antagonist.

With the books about to become issued, the citizens of Okinawa protested, loudly, in the streets. Since they vote, they have more pull than the Chinese and Koreans who similarly protested other revisions.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 15 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #19

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (martindv)

Yes because sexual slavery is just oh so fun. Grow a brain you berk or try reading up on something before commenting on it. Granted I know the internet usually actively discourages things like that but even so.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2007, 07:17 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the Japanese actually did have the right idea with comfort women. once you've conquered another nation, you're faced with the problem of keeping them from revolting. one good way to do that is to break their morale, and shipping their women off to be sex slaves is a sure-fire morale breaker. and by keeping your own market full of sex slaves, you increase your own country's morale. win-win.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I think the bit FlakJacket is missing is that your mileage varies heavily based on the definition of "right" being used.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

wait just a damn minute, sirrah. are you implying that different cultures, and even different individuals within a given culture, may have different outlooks which lead to said cultures and/or individuals having different ideas about right and wrong, good and evil, chocolate and vanilla?

you dirty terrarist.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 15 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,771

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Grow a brain you berk[...]

Berk?

What are you talking about you clueless prime?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (mfb)
you dirty terrarist.

My subversive treachery goes deeper—not merely into the idea that different things may be "right", but that there may even be different "right"s, most obviously the idea of "right" as in "morally right" and "right" as in "correct", and since something can only be "correct" in a given context (1+1 only equals 2 in the context of arithmetic, not in the context of say string concatenation where it equals 11), there may even be different "right" as in "correct"s for different contexts.

~Mutant Commie Traitor

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 22 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)

Truly evil- or maybe they get a call from a kid they saved before, who needs help again, but they don't know he's already part of the hive.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:25 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.