Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A complete rethink of Essence
Penta
post Oct 12 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 500

Because today leaves me bored, I'm left to thinking. Musing. I'm not even sure how much I believe this, or think it could be applied to a game. But anyway.

Look at Essence, a creature we've never been able to really explain to anybody's satisfaction.

Platonic Ideal Forms get rocks thrown at them as a bunch of "insane philosophical shit".

The 'human-mana connection' seems a bit off, too.

So my instinct is this: Set aside the mechanics for now.

What is Essence?

Essence is probably best lost when your capabilities exceed the maximum.

Not just because you had an accident and have to get a cyberarm do you lose essence - but because even if you're psychologically completely okay with it, something inside you realizes "Hey...This arm doesn't need to feel pain! It can smash through walls if you let it! I can do really amazing shit now!"

This would be greeted with joy, maybe...But also a quiet bit of apprehension, of existential musing.

It's not the fact that the cybereye can see 20/20, it's that it can see in lowlight or thermographic as naturally as in normal vision. You might get used to it, but something inside is always going to go "That just weirds me out".

You might well get used to being able to plug your brain into electronics, but it's hard to imagine you'll never have a nagging bit of wonder.

It's not the fact that your arm or leg is made out of whatever materials. but that it can, with a thought, entirely exceed what should be possible for people.

It's not that your nervous system is backed up by wiring, but that you can now move so fast you're a blur to others.

Same with bioware. It's not that you have some extra space in your stomach, but that you can eat so much more and not reject it. It's not that you have some stuff that regulates your sleep cycle, but that you barely need to sleep at all.

So...what if Essence wasn't based on "meat replaced by cyber", but the extent to which you exceed metahuman capabilities? This neatly applies even to fashion stuff - the same thought process can be extended pretty easily.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slump
post Oct 12 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

Wouldn't adept abilities eat up essence, then? After all, they completely exceed human abilities, and some of them might not even realize it's magic.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 12 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I like insane philosophical shit.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 12 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Adept abilities...Well, presumably, the same nagging voice that freaks at cyber can figure out that that's different.

Hyz: Me too. The Platonic forms seem like, generally, the most elegant way to handle it. But they do have issues.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 12 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,771

Oh oh oh it's magic, you know!

Essence is a game mechanic which basically represents the 6th world's lack of understanding with magic and the impact of technology on the body as a whole. It isn't fully explained nor should it be.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 12 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

I know. But I tried anyway.

Or did I not mention I was bored?

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 12 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Essence measures the hippy-love quotient. Things that reduce your hippy-love-spiritualism reduce your essence, whereas things that are good and lovey (like adept powers and pacemakers) do not.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 12 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Does that mean a good drum circle and some weed can recover essence?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 12 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #9

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Dashifen)

I can think of only one way to test that theory. 8)

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Oct 13 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

I always believed essence was a measure of how much of yourself you still have. The more essence you lose the more you lose what makes you, you. The more machine you put inside yourself the colder and more calculating you get and you lose the little things that make you (meta)human.

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Oct 13 2007, 06:13 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

I've always gone with the "essence is the connection between aura and body". the more "unnatural" things in the body, the more the astral template differs from the body.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 13 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Essence is lost for no reason.

Essence: Just Do It
"It isn't wiz at all. It's kind of shitty actually. But it is essence friendly."

Essence doesn't make any sense at all. There, I've said it. And I stand by this assessment. The datajack is and has been so unbelievably powerful in every edition that it's really hard to justify an Essence cost for much of anything. Why would anyone get cyberarms when they could chop their arms off (losing no Essence) and then just wear some robot arms and run them through their datajacks? If Essence actually existed, and yet the Datajack seriously allowed you to send out any output you wanted, you're damn skippy that people would do that sort of thing. And yet, in Shadowrun they don't. They don't for no reason. That's important. Essence is a game balance concern, not a rational one.
    Equipment Spotlight: Bone Lacing
    Bone Lacing is the classic example of a piece of cyberware that costs essence for no reason. And that's fine. In the case of Bone Lacing, it would be entirely "realistic" for it to cost nothing at all. Not only does it not interact with your nervous system in any way, it doesn't even replace a single cell. Your Calcium Phosphate matrix isn't "alive" in any meaningful fashion, it's just a dead mineral scaffold that your body happens to hang on like a fleshy coat. Even more damning, Bone Lacing actually costs more essence when it's made out of something that is more awesome. That's absurd – but it's also good game balance. You should pay more Essence when you get a better bonus, the fact that you're replacing the same amount of stuff that isn't even your living tissue in either case is beside the point.
    And that's the point.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Oct 13 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

I think you lose essence from bone lacing because of how they "install" it. They have to coat your entire skeletal system. It can't just be put up to your bones but attached some how. They also have to get to your bones which means opening you up in a big way. That's where I think the essence loss comes from.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 13 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Oct 12 2007, 03:41 PM)

I can think of only one way to test that theory. 8)

I think I'd rather have some good weed and forget about the drum circle.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 13 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Gerzel)
... forget about the drum circle.

Blasphemy!

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Oct 14 2007, 08:37 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

QUOTE (Angelone)
I think you lose essence from bone lacing because of how they "install" it. They have to coat your entire skeletal system. It can't just be put up to your bones but attached some how. They also have to get to your bones which means opening you up in a big way. That's where I think the essence loss comes from.

Pretty sure it is put on with nanites, at least thats what my memory is telling me. I can't imaging that they rip out your bones and spray paint on the good stuff...

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 14 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I think we are all forgetting how famous game designers come up with these numbers.

They pull them out of their ahem rears.

This is a balancing game, between so-called game balance and so-called realism.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 15 2007, 03:51 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

It makes me sad when people don't dig the overall hippie idea that cyberware eats your soul. It shows they don't really dig the 80s.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 15 2007, 04:51 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

The 80s was a time of starcom toys (magnets everywhere!), preschool, and kindergarten for me. Not so much hippie ideas like "cyberware eats your soul".

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 15 2007, 05:03 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Penta)
The 80s was a time of starcom toys (magnets everywhere!), preschool, and kindergarten for me. Not so much hippie ideas like "cyberware eats your soul".

But in the context of cyberwear versus Mr. Miyagi-fu? It's like dueling cinematic cliches.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 15 2007, 05:41 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
It makes me sad when people don't dig the overall hippie idea that cyberware eats your soul. It shows they don't really dig the 80s.

Look at the collage age punk section in the demographic's thread.

Don't expect a great deal of the people playing SR to dig the 80s as many where little then.

+Quote Post
CrystalBlue
post Oct 15 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,450

It's not so much hippy-love or losing your body. It's the hit your whole system takes. It's the Mind/Body/Spirit balance. At an essence of 6, you have precisly what you should have. You're in balance. You have focus, even if you don't know it. But, once you start to add in cyberware, being to lose limbs, that sort of thing, your balance begins to wane.

It's harder to keep that balance and stay human, sane, and organic. You're not so much losing your soul as you are losing control of it, and it takes more work to align your body with the other two. Remember, ware is also a psychologically stressful thing. You're not human anymore, you know that, and that grates hard on your mind. And this throws off your mental trains, your thinking, even if very slightly. And that tips the M/B/S balance. You might still have your whole soul, but because your body took a hit and you're stressed, it's harder for your soul to compensate for these.

And this very well explains how critters can suck essence out of you. You now have less soul, spirit, ki, whatever you want to call it. This throws the balance out of wack, as your body and mind need to support your weakened soul.

So...yeah. That's my .02 :nuyen:

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 15 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #23

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Losing a limb doesn't cost essence. Nor does grandma's replacement hip. Why? Because it is very un-PC to discriminate against people with handicaps or the elderly. It's only when you replace that missing limb with an artificial one or grandma gets rid of her legs for a pair of heavy duty caterpillar treads that it costs essence.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 15 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

i had cooked up a little essence-system, if anyone is interested i'd place it here tomorrow . . time for bed now x.x. .

+Quote Post
Narse
post Oct 16 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,762

QUOTE (Penta)
[...]This would be greeted with joy, maybe...But also a quiet bit of apprehension, of existential musing.[...]

So, hitting Essence zero represents the point at which your brain is too busy replaying Ghost in the Shell to remember to breathe? ;)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.