Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Oct 13 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #2

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

heh, i think anyone that own a mobile phone have sworn they heard it ring at times when it did not...

+Quote Post
l33tpenguin
post Oct 13 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,262

I had been wearing glasses for nearly 20 years. This past winter I underwent laser surgery to correct my vision. From time to time I will still try to adjust my glasses or reach under them to scratch my eye. The body learns habitual activity. Of course, its better than those amputees that swear their detached body part is itching.

+Quote Post
Spike
post Oct 14 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

I believe the hatchetman story had him occasionally misplacing his cyberarm.

personally, I don't buy it from a real world standpoint: The cyberarm's neural connection would override the false signals from missing tissue.

From a Shadowrun metaphysics, however, its perfectly fine: You are missing an arm shapped chunk of soul, after all....

I know: Not relevant, but its the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 14 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #5

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I'm disappointed. The Real 21st Century Phantom Limb.

But yes, we become accustomed to our equipment. I'm still missing a watch that I lost years ago.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 15 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Two things:
1) I get phantom cell-phone vibrations all the time.
2) I had a phantom arm the other day, it was crazy. I woke up and there were two people in the bed and five arms. At least, that's what I thought. My fiancee was there, and I could see her arms, my right arm was helping me move around and inspect the arm problem, so no problems there, and my left arm was stretched out over by her. I could feel it, it was moving, no problems, a perfectly normal arm. Okay, so technically I hadn't actually looked at it yet, but why bother, I could feel it. But that left this other strange arm under my face, and I couldn't figure out who it belonged to. (Yes, I'm pretty stupid when I first wake up) So I decide to track this thing back to it's source. I'm at the hand end, there's a forearm, an elbow, so far so good, an upper arm, holy crap it's connected to my left shoulder! But I'm already moving my left arm way over there, and this one isn't moving at all! So great, now I have two left arms, what do I do with this? The fiancee is still out, so no help there. Well by now it was high-time I checked on that other left arm that I'd been so happily manipulating, and at this point it wasn't much of a surprise that it wasn't there. But I could still feel it, still move it, it just wasn't there. Damn, this is a persistent phantom limb! I decided that maybe if I put both of my left arms in the same place they might...I don't know...stick, or something. So I put the one on top of the other. Sure enough, it worked; I couldn't separate them in my head anymore. Of course, now I just had one dead numb arm, but at least I could flop it around a bit, if not feel anything. And then, the pins and needles kicked in. Yikes.
That seriously messed with my head first thing in the morning. Does this happen to anyone else?

+Quote Post
Spike
post Oct 15 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

Not to me. But then, sometimes I have to go right back to sleep because the world needs saving. I have no idea what that means, but it happens a lot.

The other thing i do is fall, but that happens on the other end of the sleep cycle. :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:22 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.