IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Re-Bootin Shadowrun, What would it be like if done today?
Gerzel
post Oct 15 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,771

Trying to take the same "feel" and "stories" of the SR universe but to update them today.

So first of all you'd have the milestones moved up.

2018: The Shiawase Decision -- Or perhaps not through the same type of events but Corps gain extraterritoriality, or vastly increased power. I'd see this more through a telecoms strike rather than nuke.

2023: New York Quake -- Needed to get the UN off of US soil or perhaps removing the UN entirely. The idea of government between nations and the power of nations needs to be weakened for the Corps to really rise.

2030: VITAS

2031: The Awakening

2032: The Big D

[Edit for clarification of what I mean. Posted here for anyone joining the discussion]

I mean to do a what-if if the timeline for SR 1st ed was written today still keeping the basic feel of a somewhat dystopian world which mixes magic and tech where you have "Shadowrunners" or individuals who work outside the law committing heinous felonies for money mostly hired by big multinational Corps against each other.

The jumping off point, or the point of divergence that John Q. Public would know about and notice can be no earlier than Oct 15, 2007. Basically that means that the major newscasts are going to be the same in this world up till this date.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 15 2007, 05:59 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

moving the Awakening to 2031 would be much less cool. moving it to 2012 i could see, though.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Oct 15 2007, 05:59 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I think the whole extraterritoriality thing is the most implausible thing of all, given how dim a view people already have of the big corporations.

More importantly, the big corporations themselves wouldn't really want it - right now, they exert vast influence on government, to the point that you have legislators worrying about how cold medicine manufaturers will feel about an anti-meth bill, or big oil companies invited to sit in on an "energy task force" meeting. Corporate welfare and the military-industrial complex are billion, perhaps trillion, dollar industries. Right now, they get subsidies and tax breaks, and a big say in public policy, without having to worry about roads, or schools, or any of the other troubling things that they would rather have governments deal with.

Rather than this moronic, implausible corporate feudalism, the mega-corporations should be more like Genom in the Bubblegum Crisis series, or hell, any evil coporation in just about any novel, anime, or comic book. Let them be sprawling behemoths who have a bazillion secret projects and own high-ranking public officials. Have hotshot journalists and maverick police detectives constantly being pressured by "upstairs" to make a troubling investigation go away. Have skullduggery going on, and have troublesome witnesses or agitators disappear. People have been doing evil corporations for years without extraterritoriality!

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 15 2007, 06:06 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Among many other things the armor in the BBB would be better reflecting improved flexible body armor since the 80s.

+Quote Post
GrepZen
post Oct 15 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 7,935

And cybernetics to get a fish with a laser would have to come much sooner. You doubt me?! Tell me what was the first cloned mammal...a sheep...named Dolly. Technology is driven by scientists with an odd sense of humor.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 15 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Yeah, there weren't remote control sharks with lasers on their heads in Shadowrun until Michael and I made it happen in Augmentation. That means that they were new technology in 2070. Seriously dude, sharks with frickin lasers on their heads should have been old tech in 2050.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Oct 15 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

The DOD is working on insects with computer controls like, right now.

Edit: The real difference is the technology is going to be considerably more advanced than is portrayed across the board.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Oct 15 2007, 10:18 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

I think you keep the Awakening and maybe VITAS where it is; it's the subsequent instability that leads to the Seretech and Shiawase Decisions, meaning there's more magophobia in the early days (leading to the Night of Rage). Or perhaps the Night of Rage is what sets the scene for the Shiawase Decision.

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Oct 15 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #9

Runner

The flipside of looking at it is maybe a dystopic setting like SR isn't the correct choice for a new millenia setting, like a post apocalyptic setting it's gone kinda out of date.

OR, can I suggest changing to a global warming future, where there has been massive population displacement and famine, and the rich live in utopic cities surrounded by seething seas of the poor who trade stuff with the rich.

+Quote Post
GrepZen
post Oct 15 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,935

So...kind of like Bladerunner or Battle Angel?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Keep the time where it is, remove the collapse of the USSR (rework into a decline similar to that of the USA/UCAS), emphasize a massive breeding campaign/population explosion amongst Native Americans in the '80s and '90s. Reduce governmental power further—it makes no sense that corporations would rely on influence with crumbling governments when they can just do it themselves.

~J

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Oct 15 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (GrepZen @ Oct 15 2007, 06:21 AM)
So...kind of like Bladerunner or Battle Angel?

Eh, kinda, bladerunner isn't going to slice the mustard. I suppose you have to turn to whatever the heck contempoary sci fi is about. I guess I'm thinking off those books set post britian getting taken over by facists and then the people rebelling after a collapse of society cause by climate change.

Less of a caste based society for sure.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 15 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Make it clear the timeline diverges in 1989. Keep the USSR together as the big red threat, at least until around 2040. Otherwise don't bother trying to 'update' Shadowrun.

Ultimately, if you keep trying to update Shadowrun to take into account real changes in technology and culture, it will stop being Shadowrun. The new thing might be a lot of fun, but it would quickly become not Shadowrun (possibly transhumanism paranoia or something). While things like extraterritoriality are a little silly in regards to realism, they're a pretty major piece of the setting, and even replacing it with a gov't guided by private industry, will completely shift what Shadowrun is into something new.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (nezumi)
Make it clear the timeline diverges in 1989.

It doesn't. The modern timeline diverges at the latest in 1986, when Warren Burger does not resign in Shadowrun.

~J

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 15 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (nezumi)
Make it clear the timeline diverges in 1989.  Keep the USSR together as the big red threat, at least until around 2040.  Otherwise don't bother trying to 'update' Shadowrun. 

...but that means the Carter wins the 80 election, The Iran situation was not resolved, Berlin remains a divided city, and the demos go on to hold the White House for at least the next 16 years if not through the turn of the century.

By then Reagan is too old and senile to run and "George the 1st" would still be ambassador to China.

Most likely someone like Jack Kemp would have been the GOP's choice.

(...& to think I am a card carrying member of the Democratic national committee). :grinbig:

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Oct 15 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #16

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I have no idea what you are talking about... Reagan won in 1980, not 1989. I'm pretty sure that everything you mentioned happened before 1989.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Oct 15 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #17

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

China seems to have stepped into Japan's shoes as the big economic, and with them possible military/diplomatic, threat of current times plus the whole Japanese economy imploding bit means things are going to be rejigged a fair bit. That I think is going to have to be one of the major setting departures.

Another thing that I think you'd see would be much more concentration on genetech and molecular engineering or the like straight from the start in tandem with cyberware rather than just cyberware.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 15 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

hmm I think I may be a little misunderstood here.

I mean to do a what-if if the timeline for SR 1st ed was written today still keeping the basic feel of a somewhat dystopian world which mixes magic and tech where you have "Shadowrunners" or individuals who work outside the law committing heinous felonies for money mostly hired by big multinational Corps against each other.

The jumping off point, or the point of divergence that John Q. Public would know about and notice can be no earlier than Oct 15, 2007. Basically that means that the major newscasts are going to be the same in this world up till this date.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 15 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
China seems to have stepped into Japan's shoes as the big economic, and with them possible military/diplomatic, threat of current times plus the whole Japanese economy imploding bit means things are going to be rejigged a fair bit. That I think is going to have to be one of the major setting departures.

Another thing that I think you'd see would be much more concentration on genetech and molecular engineering or the like straight from the start in tandem with cyberware rather than just cyberware.

Defiantly. Though one thing about China is they have a very different outlook on the world than Japan. One thing I could see happening is a new "mandate of Heaven" Emporer taking over China, perhaps even Lung himself.

Japan would re-arm and go more militaristic but not to the extent that they do in SR. They may very well take control the Philippines and Polynesia but I'd have it be done outwardly through a mutual-protection alliance from China with Japan taking more and more control.

Then have China quietly take control of a puppet North Korea and have South Korea Call for aid and bingo you have a nice new Korean War.

Now for the genetech one way I'd go is towards the transhumanism route. SR already has an element of transhumanism in it (aka Metahumans & cyberware). Transhumanism though doesn't have the emphasis on "damaging" oneself through the use of too much tech. It can and does often warn of the dangers of rampant tech use.

I'd have Bioroids added to the mix. The use of which would be extremely divisive and could very well bring about a regional split in many countries including the EU and the US. I'd say have bioroid's come to a regional head before the Great Ghost Dance occurs for maximum chaos.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
China seems to have stepped into Japan's shoes as the big economic, and with them possible military/diplomatic, threat of current times

I'm not sure I'd call Japan a "threat" as such, though it's done some alarming things recently (moves towards remilitarization, resurgence of the right-wing and increase in whitewashing), but you probably shouldn't count them out just yet—or count China in, for that matter. Japan is unusual in its quantity of domestic manufacturing retained for a country as modernized as it is, while China is on a race to become an economic power before it collapses due to either internal strife or its demand for energy—a demand Japan is in better position to deal with, with its strong nuclear and geothermal programs (though if the crunch happens quickly they'll still be as screwed as just about everyone except, AFAIK, France).

I don't know if Japan is going to return to anything like the prominence it had in the '80s (though it is still the world's second-largest economy, third if you count the EU as a single entity), but I have serious doubts about China in a form recognizably similar to today's country ever becoming an economic superpower.

~J

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 15 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #21

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If a Mandate of Heaven Emperor takes over China again, it should be Sing-Ling, the Mandate of Heaven Emperor who ascended to the throne in Redemption Part II, the twenty-second episode of Kung Fu: The Legend Continues. Cain protected him from assassins who were trying to stop is coronation ceremony.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Oct 15 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #22

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

I like the awakening date as is. The whole maya long count thing is just too cool to ignore.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 09:18 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Yeah, if anything I'd move it to match up with the actual Long Count end, but I also like the "the Mayans weren't exact" thing.

~J

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 15 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Another thing I'd change is that I'd strip out all but the merest mention of "hooding", and fill Shadowtalk with active scorn for the concept.

~J

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 15 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Another thing I'd change is that I'd strip out all but the merest mention of "hooding", and fill Shadowtalk with active scorn for the concept.

I could live with that. :D

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 10:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.