Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stealthy mind control, Hiding spellcasting revisited
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,869

If you were in a meeting with a Mr. Johnson or some other character while in a "nice" setting, how would you go about casting Influence or other Mental Manipulation spell on the person and get away with it?

The rules for noticing spellcasting are kinda weird or maybe just incomplete. The rules say anyone (even a mundane) can notice spellcasting with a Perception (6-Force) chance of success (+2 dice if a spellcaster, +2 if astrally perceiving at the time). The fluff says that you just have a funny look on your face and are making subtle gestures, so this implies to me that mundane methods can be used to hide your spellcasting attempt.

1) Would a Con or Etiquette roll add hits to your opposed hide-spellcasting attempt?

2) A spirit's Concealment power affects Perception rolls, would that power also affect the Perception roll to notice spellcasting?

3) An Invisibility spell would obviously hide your spellcasting attempt since it makes you completely invisible, but would a Mask spell hide your spellcasting too? If your Mask hides your facial features and body type, can it be used to hide your facial expressions and gestures?

Are there other methods that work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 16 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

Many of the manipulation spells are automatically detected by the recipient. They may not know "who" cast it, but they certainly know they are under the effects of such a spell...

Just something to think about.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #3

Running Target

QUOTE (deek @ Oct 16 2007, 09:13 AM)
Many of the manipulation spells are automatically detected by the recipient.  They may not know "who" cast it, but they certainly know they are under the effects of such a spell...

Just something to think about.

Influence doesn't, in fact it says they think the command was their idea. Alter Memory takes care of the "after-effects" of other mind control spells.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Oct 16 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

1) I'd accept it with a -2 to -4 modifier (depending on what the mage is supposed to be doing at that time) but not with Con nor Etiquette... Maybe a Cha+Wil (I don't remember the name) roll.

2) In a 'nice' setting, the Concealment power will make the character less likely to attract attention. It means that Mr. Johnson (and his friends) will be less likely too look his way. But if Mr. Johnson (or one of his friends) really examine's the character the concealment power won't conceal anything.

3) Isn't the Mask spell the one that gives you the appearance of someone else? If that's the case, you'll just look like someone else casting a spell.

+Quote Post
Orient
post Oct 16 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

Con seems like a viable skill to roll.

Also, you could multicast. If you cast an Influence spell at the same time as, say, a cigarette-lighting spell, then most mundane onlookers will probably assume that whatever spooky glow or shamanic mask they see is from the cigarette lighting.

You could always just cast at a low force too, I guess, but that's not really going to be very effective against high-willpower targets.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Blade @ Oct 16 2007, 09:31 AM)
1) I'd accept it with a -2 to -4 modifier (depending on what the mage is supposed to be doing at that time) but not with Con nor Etiquette... Maybe a Cha+Wil (I don't remember the name) roll.

2) In a 'nice' setting, the Concealment power will make the character less likely to attract attention. It means that Mr. Johnson (and his friends) will be less likely too look his way. But if Mr. Johnson (or one of his friends) really examine's the character the concealment power won't conceal anything.

3) Isn't the Mask spell the one that gives you the appearance of someone else? If that's the case, you'll just look like someone else casting a spell.

Good point, the Composure roll should definitely help just to hide all the weird looks on your face.

I'm thinking Con would help with disguising your unusual facial expressions with a clever deception like "What beautiful eyes you have!" or "Ugh, I have really bad constipation" :D. And of course you can always use the classic "Look over there!" gambit.

I was thinking the same thing you were about the Mask spell, I think it just hides your facial features and body type, not your facial expressions or gestures.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Orient)
Also, you could multicast. If you cast an Influence spell at the same time as, say, a cigarette-lighting spell, then most mundane onlookers will probably assume that whatever spooky glow or shamanic mask they see is from the cigarette lighting.

That's an awesome idea.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 16 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #8

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Can you multicast two different spells? I thought you could only multicast one spell at different targets.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Oct 16 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

But what if I am a plain Hermetic mage, and I am looking at you with my peripheral vision while it appears I am watching the long legged mini skirted, cleavage displaying server? What then. Line of Sight does not mean what is directly in front of you, it refers to your peripheral vision as well. Plus if I do not have the gesture geasa I do not have to make special handsigns (ala Naruto) or the Spoken word geasa (ala DBZ).

+Quote Post
Orient
post Oct 16 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Magus)
But what if I am a plain Hermetic mage, and I am looking at you with my peripheral vision while it appears I am watching the long legged mini skirted, cleavage displaying server? What then. Line of Sight does not mean what is directly in front of you, it refers to your peripheral vision as well. Plus if I do not have the gesture geasa I do not have to make special handsigns (ala Naruto) or the Spoken word geasa (ala DBZ).

That's absolutely true. However, if you cast a force 4-6 spell, there's gonna be some amount of glow, sparkly looking special effects, or something. Certainly enough of an effect that there's still a risk.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 16 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

By the book, anything force 6 or more is a threshold 0 test and is automatically noticed by anyone around.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 16 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #12

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Noticing Spell casting is not necessarily a visual perception test. Therefore visual distractions may not have any effect whatsoever on noticing spell casting.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 16 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #13

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Buster)
If you were in a meeting with a Mr. Johnson or some other character while in a "nice" setting, how would you go about casting Influence or other Mental Manipulation spell on the person and get away with it?

Wow. Get caught casting Influence on your Johnson even once and your rep is going to take a serious downturn. You are flirting with disaster.
That said, everyone's already suggested some good stuff.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Oct 16 2007, 05:05 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
Noticing Spell casting is not necessarily a visual perception test. Therefore visual distractions may not have any effect whatsoever on noticing spell casting.

Kinda like that spooky hair on the back of the neck, something just aint right feeling.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 16 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #15

Dragon

QUOTE (Buster)
1) Would a Con or Etiquette roll add hits to your opposed hide-spellcasting attempt?

There is no opposed hide spellcasting roll. You can't hide it. Its merely a roll to see if they notice it.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 16 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #16

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Some of you are edging up to the "too detailed" line. Remember, any stuff that you make up to explain what got noticed is strictly to support that they did (or have) notice(d).

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Orient @ Oct 16 2007, 11:08 AM)
However, if you cast a force 4-6 spell, there's gonna be some amount of glow, sparkly looking special effects, or something.  Certainly enough of an effect that there's still a risk.

Well, that would be true in some game systems, but in SR4 it lists several things that can be noticed, but none of them are supernatural effects. I'm not saying what you said doesn't make sense, but either the fluff is incomplete or the rules are incomplete.

I guess it all comes down to game balance.

My thoughts are that if you could only get a handful of extra hits by using Composure, Con, Etiquette, and other mundane methods of hiding spellcasting, then it would be ok to go with the Fluff As Written because it has little effect on game balance. Especially if you have to invest tons of BP/karma on those skills and attributes.

But if you could make it so you're virtually guaranteed to go unnoticed with just a few skill points, then it might be too game unbalancing. Especially without also introducing some new gadgets that let mundanes detect spellcasting (such as glow-FAB sprays or PKE scanners).

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 16 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #18

Dragon

QUOTE (Buster)
Well, that would be true in some game systems, but in SR4 it lists several things that can be noticed, but none of them are supernatural effects. I'm not saying what you said doesn't make sense, but either the fluff is incomplete or the rules are incomplete.

No, you're wrong. SR4, 168, "Just how obvious are magical skills? Not very, since most spells and spirits have little, if any, visible effect in the physical world (unless the magician prefers to have flashy effects, or her tradition calls for it)."

Its perfectly supported for spells to glow, sparkle, or otherwise.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Tarantula)
QUOTE (Buster @ Oct 16 2007, 12:11 PM)
Well, that would be true in some game systems, but in SR4 it lists several things that can be noticed, but none of them are supernatural effects.  I'm not saying what you said doesn't make sense, but either the fluff is incomplete or the rules are incomplete.

No, you're wrong. SR4, 168, "Just how obvious are magical skills? Not very, since most spells and spirits have little, if any, visible effect in the physical world (unless the magician prefers to have flashy effects, or her tradition calls for it)."

Its perfectly supported for spells to glow, sparkle, or otherwise.

Oh my god, Tarantula has been possessed by the ghost of Doctor Funkenstein! :D

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Oct 16 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #20

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Noticing Spell Casting is a Perception test.

If you allow the spell caster additional tests to avoid being noticed, the perceiver should also be allowed additional modifiers or tests.

I personally don't mind what tests or modifiers you end up using as long as it makes for a fun game. Almost any mix of attributes or modifiers probably has some excuse to affect this. It's MAGIC!

Your game your choice.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 16 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Dashifen)
Can you multicast two different spells? I thought you could only multicast one spell at different targets.

Yes you can. There are no restrictions on which spells a person could multi-cast.

+Quote Post
Orient
post Oct 16 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I've been toying around with that technique you mentioned a bit ago, Fortune - multicasting several low-drain combat spells rather than one big nuke spell. Interesting.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Oct 16 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

I used to multicast in 3rd the area effect Laser and Thunder spells. Great effect. bad Drain.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 16 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Do you have to split your drain resistance pool too or do you get your full drain resistance pool on each multicast spell?

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Oct 16 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #25

Dragon

+X to the drain for each spell where X is the number of multicast spells.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:44 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.