Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pun-Pun and Bloodzilla, And other infinitely broken characters
Cain
post Oct 17 2007, 04:36 AM
Post #1

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Somewhere along the way, I lost the link to the original Bloodzilla writeup. So, I'm opening this thread to all the Pun-Pun's of Shadowrun. What are the infinitely disgusting combos that people have come up with?

For the record, I consider Mr. Lucky to be seriously underpowered for this thread, so the sky's the limit. Feel free to repeat the most borken concepts you can possibly deliver.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 17 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #2

Bushido Cowgirl

Group: Members
From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...unfortunately my worst most munched PC was from 3rd ed: Gracie the Met2000 dwarf merc with a reaction of 18 who could stand her ground going full lead hose with only a +1 TN modifier and who took out a Medusa drone with her twin dikoted Cougar Fineblades (#34).

...though there was Lady Meggan Grande (NPC) who basically rolled a 36ct cube of dice (- 1) on an opposed negotiation test. And that was without throwing in her Edge of 8.

[edit - addendum]

...of course there was reason to munch out Gracie, for one, we were encouraged to do so by the GM as he was runnng us through Brainscan.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 17 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Sigh.I wish people wouldn't call them "Pun-Puns" because Pun-Pun is actually weak cheese. Not only does it not actually work as written, all it really ends up being is a very slow growing unlimited physical attribute hack that requires the intervention of an extremely power optional NPC to start (and is thus both less interesting and less powerful than a simple Artificer Skill Dancer), but even allowing for the ludicrous interpretation of the word "a" that it relies upon, the original Pun-Pun still got overconfident and was one-shot killed by The Word.

But I digress. The original "Bloodzilla" wasn't even called that. It was in the middle of my rant to Lars "What the hell are you doing with the threats section!?" during the Street Magic writing process. It was right next to "Is it too much to ask to have just one complete playable toxic tradition in the book?" and "You can't have an Earth/Water spirit, that's the entire fucking point of having distinct spirit types." I don't think I will ever forgive him for that.

----

Basically, Bloodzilla (which is an excellent name, I wish I'd coined it myself) is an infinite power loop because the limits on Essence drain are force dependent. So with the bullshit energy drain that Lars wrote up for Blood Spirits, they get +1 Force (and thus +2 max energy drain) for every 1 point of Energy Drain. Even a Force 1 Blood Spirit can be a Force 181 Blood Spirit after you wax a kindergarten full of retarded kids. Hell, after you chupacabra some goats.

Even regular Blood Magicians can rival the power of Great Dragons with relatively little fuss. The limits on conjuration are almost entirely Drain related. With the Sacrifice metamagic and a bound hobo, you can reduce your drain by like 14 boxes if you really care - which is enough and more than enough to survive summoning Force 20 spirits. Those will, in turn, drop kick the shit out of Ghost Walker, which is just good times all around.

Are we counting Agent Smith as a character? That's a pretty easy one, as every 5k Commlink you buy or steal from a store can run two more Agents, and you can fit as many in your backpack or the boot of your car as you can convince the gamemaster is reasonable.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Cain
post Oct 17 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #4

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Actually, I'm the one who came up with the Agent Smith army, which forced an errata on Teamwork tests. Because teamwork tests had no limit on members, you could load up on a few hundred agents and one-shot Z-O.

Even with the errata, the Burly Man Brawl is a valid (and nasty) tactic.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 17 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

For the record and to avoid spreading erroneous misconceptions:

"Bloodzilla" is missing exactly six words from a power description that were mistakenly cut in editing through no fault of the writer who included it in his write up - contrary to what Frank's opinion. Those six words impose a cap on the increase to Force that can be achieved through Energy Drain and its variants. The text to be added back in has been in the Street Magic errata for over a year now, although the change of license has delayed our publication of the same.

Also contrary to Frank's belief a sample Toxic tradition (for a typical "Poisoner Toxic" ) was indeed written up and included in final drafts. It was a development decision to cut it - again, not the author's decision - based on the fact that "Toxic traditions" are in fact individual, enormously variable and highly personal. It was intended to be, and will eventually be published in a long-delayed Street Magic add-on.

As for the "fix" to Teamwork tests, sorry to break it to you Cain, but it had nothing to do with Agent Smith. It was listed for errata as far back as the initial release of SR4 - in fact, if you check, my very first response to one of your criticisms of the Teamwork rules (not the Agent Smith thread which came later) included "the fix".

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 17 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Synner)
"Bloodzilla" is missing exactly six words from a power description that were mistakenly cut in editing through no fault of the writer who included it in his write up - contrary to what Frank's opinion. Those six words impose a cap on the increase to Force that can be achieved through Energy Drain and its variants. The text to be added back in has been in the Street Magic errata for over a year now, although the change of license has delayed our publication of the same.

And there still isn't an online errata either. So that change of license really must take a really long time.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 17 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

well, around these parts of the web there was the troll with the . . 30 to 40 dice for climbing tests . . and on another board there was an elf with 20 to 30 dice for everything that was somehow connected to agility i think . .

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 17 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #8

Prime Runner

You've got a nerve on you Peter, I was there. And whether it's contrary to belief or not, there aren't even five Toxic spirits with the same theme in the book, and Lars refused to make a system for creating toxic spirits for general use. You can't have a toxic magician without writing original content yourself, and there aren't even any fucking guidelines for doing it. That was a shamefully lazy move. I said it at the time, I hold to that sentiment, and I'm not retracting anything.

He didn't forget to include guidelines for creating the originl content he is insisting that every single gamem master produce. It didn't get cut at some later date through no fault of his own. He fucking straight up refused to do it, and instead wrote up some specific spirits which you can't use without writing additional original content yourself for which there are no guidelines.

It was a dick move, and you supported him doing it.

---

And I've seen at least three versions of your "6 missing words" and while they often stop infinite power, it really isn't terribly important because not one of them prevents anyone with Blood invoking from being able to kick the crap out of Lofwyr and Hestaby at the same time.

Also most of them run into flat incomprehensibility the moment they start interacting with Free Spirits and Background Counts. And it doesn't even begin to address the fact that the "weakness" of Evanescence does not affect blood spirits and never has!

-Frank

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 17 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (toturi)
And there still isn't an online errata either. So that change of license really must take a really long time.

Policy is to publish errata when we actually do a reprint. The license change delayed the reprint of Street Magic. Errata should be up in the next few weeks.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 17 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

ok guys, we'll settle this like men . . Frank and Synner, Snowballs at 20m *g*

+Quote Post
Buster
post Oct 17 2007, 11:51 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

QUOTE (Synner)
QUOTE (toturi @ Oct 17 2007, 08:48 AM)

Policy is to publish errata when we actually do a reprint. The license change delayed the reprint of Street Magic. Errata should be up in the next few weeks.

Who's policy is that? Every other company in the world posts bug fixes on the web as soon as they're discovered, fixed, and tested. You already have a website, so it doesn't cost you anything. We already paid $35 for the book and we aren't paying another $35 for the reprint. So what's the holdup?

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 17 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #12

Runner

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
You've got a nerve on you Peter, I was there.

Yup I do have some nerve, and no, Frank, you weren't there (at least not all the way through).

You had access to a rough first draft and a final post-dev-pass/pre-edit draft (which incidentally was almost 3000 words shorter than what the author handed in). In fact, you didn't even have access to playtest feedback since you weren't the author responsible for the chapter in question.

You are well acquainted with reasons why you were not privy to the remaining discussions and they are not something I intend to rehash on an open forum - they like the content of the development process are subject to NDAs, which I am bound by even if you chose to ignore.

Suffice it to say you did not have access to the author's final draft(s) and so any claim on your part as to what the author actually wrote and what was development decision/revision is at best speculative.

And whether it's contrary to belief or not, there aren't even five Toxic spirits with the same theme in the book

I have the sample "toxic Poisoner tradition" write up that will be included in the Street Magic add-on and it uses five of the sample toxic spirits from Street Magic (Nuclear, Acid, Sludge, Smog, Abomination - all to a radioactive/mutation theme) so... I believe you are mistaken.

and Lars refused to make a system for creating toxic spirits for general use.

No. The author followed directions and wrote up a free-form build that allows a gamemaster to put together pretty much anything he wants to fit the particular toxic's outlook. You don't like the lack of unifying system and potentially lack of balance it entails. Fine. I don't have a problem with it and neither does the line developer.

You can't have a toxic magician without writing original content yourself, and there aren't even any fucking guidelines for doing it. That was a shamefully lazy move. I said it at the time, I hold to that sentiment, and I'm not retracting anything.

I reiterate: a "typical" Poisoner tradition was indeed written up and was later discarded during editing. The developers believe and continue to believe that it was/is unnecessary to provide a tradition writeup for what is essentially a unique magical expression (and hence not in fact a "tradition" as such) - for much the same reason no traditions were offered for Miracle workers and Psionics.

That said it was and remains our intent to offer such guidelines and more optional rules as part of a free add-on to Street Magic - which is also on final approach.

He didn't forget to include guidelines for creating the originl content he is insisting that every single gamemaster produce. It didn't get cut at some later date through no fault of his own. He fucking straight up refused to do it, and instead wrote up some specific spirits which you can't use without writing additional original content yourself for which there are no guidelines.

No, the author refused to do it the way you suggested. The rules as they stand are clear cut. Take one of the 10 "normal" spirit types as a template and swap out any powers you think are appropriate to the theme of the particular toxic summoner's magical paradigm and worldview. Several examples of this are provided as ready-to-use templates.

And I've seen at least three versions of your "6 missing words" and while they often stop infinite power, it really isn't terribly important because not one of them prevents anyone with Blood invoking from being able to kick the crap out of Lofwyr and Hestaby at the same time.

I am aware that you have seen several versions since I personally ran those alternatives by you as they were being playtested.

Also most of them run into flat incomprehensibility the moment they start interacting with Free Spirits and Background Counts.

Possibly, no-one who playtested them has encountered that problem.

And it doesn't even begin to address the fact that the "weakness" of Evanescence does not affect blood spirits and never has!

That is a separate issue.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Oct 17 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

What's that Steet Magic add-on? A free add-on that will be available on the website (or possibly holostreet)?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Oct 17 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #14

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Blade)
What's that Steet Magic add-on? A free add-on that will be available on the website (or possibly holostreet)?

The latter would be fitting: Toxic Spirits straight from Development Hell.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Oct 17 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Oh god please not HoloStreets, there would be no telling then when we will see it.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 17 2007, 01:18 PM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Synner)
Also most of them run into flat incomprehensibility the moment they start interacting with Free Spirits and Background Counts.

Possibly, no-one who playtested them has encountered that problem.

And it doesn't even begin to address the fact that the "weakness" of Evanescence does not affect blood spirits and never has!

That is a separate issue.

Well, the proof would be obvious once the errata and the add on are published. If the write up or the errata isn't up to standard, the community can tear it apart.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 17 2007, 01:48 PM
Post #17

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Frank, Synner... Play nice.

Also, I suspect that public message boards are not the place to be discussing behind the scenes developmental decisions.

Bull

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Oct 17 2007, 01:57 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (toturi)
Well, the proof would be obvious once the errata and the add on are published. If the write up or the errata isn't up to standard, the community can tear it apart.

Hell, we'll do that anyway.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Oct 17 2007, 02:05 PM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Bull)
Also, I suspect that public message boards are not the place to be discussing behind the scenes developmental decisions.

You're absolutely right, Bull. This is not the place. As far as I'm concerned my involvement in that discussion on a public forum is over.

This was initially intended to be a free web bonus on the official website.

The web add-on includes a number of things that were left over from development and we thought it would be nice to offer up to fans: new traditions, optional rules for psionics traditions, a few magic groups, some metamagic foci, some clarifications and examples we didn't have space for in the book, and other odds and ends.

For the record: errata for Street Magic boils down to less than a page, including typos. Getting errata for that, Augmentation, FAQ updates, and a few web freebies are priorities, but getting new books out takes precedence. We're hoping to have them up in the coming weeks.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 17 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Frank's posts here are pretty out of line and Peter would probably be better served not responding to them, in my opinion. I've gotten my hand slapped a few times for pushing the NDA discussing writing development, but man, you don't attack co-authors or their draft work during the development process on a public forum. That's unprofessional and disrespectful.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Oct 17 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,360

This type of drek makes me hate these boards. Let's try to get back on topic, shall we?

I've never made a really broken character, but I did make a medical adept who's rolling 22 dice on medicine tests, and 26 dice on diagnosis tests. (Could do better, but I wanted some well-roundedness as well)

+Quote Post
swirler
post Oct 17 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,369

QUOTE (Synner)
This was initially intended to be a free web bonus on the official website.

The web add-on includes a number of things that were left over from development and we thought it would be nice to offer up to fans: new traditions, optional rules for psionics traditions, a few magic groups, some metamagic foci, some clarifications and examples we didn't have space for in the book, and other odds and ends.

very nice. I can't wait to read through this. I was hoping for more magic stuff.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Oct 17 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Demonseed Elite)
Frank's posts here are pretty out of line and Peter would probably be better served not responding to them, in my opinion. I've gotten my hand slapped a few times for pushing the NDA discussing writing development, but man, you don't attack co-authors or their draft work during the development process on a public forum. That's unprofessional and disrespectful.

I think if writing was my profession, I'd give a crap. But as neither FanPro nor Catalyst has fulfilled their part of the contract and I am in medical school, I don't really consider myself an "author". Thus, any professionalism or lack there of in that field can... well, you get the idea.

As soon as FanPro cuts me a damn check for work I did in 2005, I'll start taking agreements I made with them seriously.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Spike
post Oct 17 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,765

And that's the sort of thing I read Dumpshock For.... :D

+Quote Post
Bull
post Oct 17 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #25

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Oct 17 2007, 09:38 AM)
I think if writing was my profession, I'd give a crap. But as neither FanPro nor Catalyst has fulfilled their part of the contract and I am in medical school, I don't really consider myself an "author". Thus, any professionalism or lack there of in that field can... well, you get the idea.

As soon as FanPro cuts me a damn check for work I did in 2005, I'll start taking agreements I made with them seriously.

-Frank

In the meantime, we do take FanPro and Catalyst's NDA's kinda seriously, since we like those folks. So please, Frank, behave.

As someone who's waited for RPG companies to pony up payment a couple times myself, it sucks, but honestly... if you were doing it for the money in the first place, you should probably have your head examined.

Anyways, this is wildly off topic, so I think it should be totally dropped. If the thread doesn't get back on track, we'll have to close it down and let Cain restart it. Thanks.

Bull

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:14 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.