IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> In Closets and Under Beds, Things that go bump in the dark.
hyzmarca
post Oct 19 2007, 06:22 AM
Post #1

Midnight Toker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,456

The Hearth Spirit: the loving, compassionate guardian of home. Of all the Spirits of Man Hearth Spirits have the strongest connection to humanity. They live where ever metahumans reside and can be called up by Shamans in times of need. Some even appear to defend their adopted families spontaneously, without summoning.

But like all sprirts, the hearth spirit can become corrupted by the residue of human vitriol. Of all corrupted spirits, the corrupted hearth spirits are the most dangerous, the most sadistic, the most violent. Their love for metahumanity has mangled and twisted by unbearable levels of anger, hatred, and violence between those who should love each other unconditionally. No longer recognizable as the loving hearth spirits they once were, these are our nightmares given form. Rarely seen, unless summoned, few adults believe they exist. But children know. They see the tell-tale signs and recognize them for what they are. Children know when a boogyman is living in their house, and you'd be wise to heed their warnings.

Boogyman
(Abuse Aspected Spirit of Man)
*A Boogyman in a abuse aspected domain adds the rating of the domain to its Force for all purposes.

Stats
(Same as Spirit of Man)

Skills
(Same as Spirit of Man) + Intimidation, Shadowing, Infiltration,

Powers
(Same as Spirit of Man) -Guard*, +Fear, Noxious Breath, Natural Weapon [(F)P AP0]
*Being aspected toward the infliction of suffering, Boogymen cannot use the Guard power.

Optional Powers
(Same as Spirit of Man)+ Innate Spell: Silence, Innate Spell: Agony, Paralyzing Touch (Touch Range Paralyzing Howl), Shadow Cloak
Weakness
Mild Allergy: light, Mild Addiction: The terror of a Child

Boogymen are born when a guardian abuses a child, physically, mentally, emotionally, or sexually over a long period of time such that a background count is created.

Any Spirit of Man summoned in an Abuse Aspected Domain will have the taint of the Boogyman; but real Boogymen appear spontaneously without being summoned, usually in a closet or under a bed. A Boogyman usually doesn't appear until after the abuse has ended, often after the home is sold to another family.

Once a boogyman has settled into a home, it will single out a child and begin to subtly terrorize him or her, basking in the helpless child's fear. It will use all means at its disposal to hide from adults and will not leave any unexplainable marks or signatures on the child. In these early stages, a little bit of light will keep it away. But, as time progresses, its need for terror will become stronger and it will brave the discomfort of a nightlight. The campaign of abuse will only continue to escalate from this point.

If a Boogyman's chosen child is moved out of the house its obsession will compel it to find the child using the Search power and continue its terror campaign. Once a Boogyman has chosen a child, there is no place on Earth where that child can hide.
Over time, the campaign of terror will escalate to a physical confrontation. Weaker, stupider Boogyman will turn to physical abuse their their natural weapons, which presents obvious signs of abuse. If it goes overboard and kills the child (and it will) it will fly into a rage, killing anyone nearby and anyone in its home at the time.
Boogymen who are powerful enough to have optional powers will use the Silence Spell to quietly terrorize the child without risking any screams. Combined with the Fear Power and Paralyzing Touch to prevent escape, it can produce unimaginable heights of terror.

Some Boogymen, those whose domains were aspected by sexual abuse, add sexual aspects to their own repertoires of terror.

Boogymen with the Possession power are thought to be extremely rare, but they are undoubtedly the most dangerous. Without a thorough investigation by expert magicians, their crimes are indistinguishable from mundane child abuse.

Most Boogymen, eventually tire of their games and slaughter the entire family. Those lucky die in their sleep from respiratory failure. Those who are unlucky get torn limb from limb while they are awake. After killing its victim, the Boogyman waits patiently for another family to move into the home and will only leave if the Backgrount Count is permanently removed or its aspect is changed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Oct 19 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

Hmm. I can imagine a Shadowrun campaign heavily influenced by White Wolf's "Orpheus" RPG and Ghostbusters, with the PCs as exorcists for hire.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 19 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

this is really good stuff. the rationale and power selection make it really, really scary. i'm seriously a bit creeped out just reading it.

+Quote Post
raggedhalo
post Oct 19 2007, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,515

Toxic Guardian spirit might also work with a similar rationale. But I like what you've presented here, too!

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 19 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Very awesome. The write-up is as creepy as it should be, and the powers compliment what the spirit does.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Oct 19 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

This is also the sort of thing that makes me hope "The Boo Scary Book of Shadowrun Night" (working title) gets revived at some point. A horror (little h!) themed book for Shadowrun would be so much fun.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 19 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #7

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...also could make the Banishing skill a little more useful.

Of course a good counter would be something like an Exorcist but it would take someone with more magic savvy than I to write that one up.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 19 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

The problem I see is that this doesn't explain what happens when kids are no longer afraid of the dark.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Oct 19 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

Everyone is always at least a little afraid of the dark. It's a primal thing.

Chris

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 19 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #10

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Penta @ Oct 19 2007, 11:57 AM)
The problem I see is that this doesn't explain what happens when kids are no longer afraid of the dark.

When kids are no longer afraid of the dark, the nightlights get turned off. And then, freed from the annoying presence of its allergen, the Boogyman can fully enjoy raping and torture them, all night, every night.

Obsessed serial torturers don't just go away because you stop believing in them.

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...also could make the Banishing skill a little more useful.

Of course a good counter would be something like an Exorcist but it would take someone with more magic savvy than I to write that one up.

Geomancy actually works best, particularly when combined with a metaplanar quest to destroy the Boogyman. Just destroying it won't work, because as long as the background count remains Boogymen will just spontaneously show up. No sane spirit would leave a tempting domain unoccupied.

The real question is whether or not a Geomancer can change the emotional aspect of a background count, or just its tradition aspect. If the latter is the case, then the only solution is to destroy the Boogyman in the metaplanes tear down the home, and re-zone the area for industrial use so that it ceases to be a hearth domain.

+Quote Post
tirsales
post Oct 19 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 7,571

Oh well, just burn down the house (gives some good fertilizer) and plant some trees ;)
Boogyman won't like Elve hugging ;)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 19 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Of course, since homeowner's insurance doesn't cover Boogymen, most families will just sell the house to other unsuspecting families.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Oct 19 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

I like the flavor, but it seems too extreme. By these rules, every child in an long-term abusive environment dies violently, usually taking the entire family down with them. Not only that, but every house that's ever had a long term abuser in it becomes 'cursed' and violently kills every family to subsequently occupy the house. Seems too dramatic to go unnoticed by the public, and I'd like this to remain something that the general public doesn't generally know about or believe in.

[edit] Was this inspired by the movie 'The Entity'?

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 19 2007, 07:48 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

I think that in the Sixth World, home inspections required when you sell your house will probably include an Astral inspection...And disclosure rules for precisely this sort of thing.:P

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 19 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #15

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Of course, since homeowner's insurance doesn't cover Boogymen, most families will just sell the house to other unsuspecting families.

...to steal a well worn line from the cinema...

...theyr'e heeeeere... :grinbig:

@Apathy, I tend to agree, There needs to be some way to counter like through purification (sanctification) or something like that.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Oct 19 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #16

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Apathy @ Oct 19 2007, 02:28 PM)
I like the flavor, but it seems too extreme. By these rules, every child in an long-term abusive environment dies violently, usually taking the entire family down with them. Not only that, but every house that's ever had a long term abuser in it becomes 'cursed' and violently kills every family to subsequently occupy the house. Seems too dramatic to go unnoticed by the public, and I'd like this to remain something that the general public doesn't generally know about or believe in.

How common these these things are depends very much on how easy it is to create an Abuse domain. I'd imagine that it requires an extreme level of sadism. The standard "mommy hits me when she gets mad" isn't going to cut it. "Mommy locks me in the closet, sodomizes me with a baseball bat, and gives me nothing to eat but old cardboard boxes and my own poo. And when she gets mad, she does bad things." is what I'd consider approperiate for creating such a Domain. Some GMs might make it easier. Some might make it even more difficult.

But yes, if you live in a Toxic domain, it stands to reason that bad things happen.

The violence and obsessiveness of the Boogymen can be toned down as GMs see fit, but it is extremely important to remember that Boogymen are experts at covering their tracks. There are ways to make a total family slaughter seem mundane. Creating gas leak and just letting them all suffocate in their sleep, for example. More dramatically, all Spirits of Man have the Influence Power, which can be used to send a loving parent on a murder-suicide rampage. The Accident Power, is of course, the classic. Use properly, and over a sufficient period of time, deaths can be completely unremarkable. Guy falls off a ladder while adjusting a satellite dish; it happens all the time. Lady slips in the shower and hits her head; it happens all the time. Guy forgets to put the car in park and it rolls over the baby; happens all the time. Even the most savage of slaughters can be attributed to things other than a Boogyman. There are all sorts of Free and Wild spirits out there. Since the Boogyman hides and only shows itself to its weak and helpless victims, it is very easy for such a creature to remain an urban legend even if it leads a wake of bodies.

Edit: I have not seen The Entity. It was inspired by many sources, including a Stephen King short story and episodes of The Real Ghostbusters. But mostly it is just boogyman folklore mixed with SR magic.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Oct 19 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

I'm in my 20s, and this thing makes me scared of going to sleep. :-(

On the other hand, if it's from boogyman folklore, maybe it should be defendable against with teddy bears! When the monster comes out, your bear will protect you!:P

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 19 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #18

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Apathy @ Oct 19 2007, 02:28 PM)

How common these these things are depends very much on how easy it is to create an Abuse domain. I'd imagine that it requires an extreme level of sadism. The standard "mommy hits me when she gets mad" isn't going to cut it. "Mommy locks me in the closet, sodomizes me with a baseball bat, and gives me noting to eat but old cardboard boxes and my own poo. And when she gets mad, she does bad things." Some GMs might make it easier. Some might make it even more difficult.

But yes, if you live in a Toxic domain, it stands to reason that bad things happen.

The violence and obsessiveness of the Boogymen can be toned down as GMs see fit, but it is extremely important to remember that Boogymen are experts at covering their tracks. There are ways to make a total family slaughter seem mundane. Creating gas leak and just letting them all suffocate in their sleep, for example. More dramatically, all Spirits of Man have the Influence Power, which can be used to send a loving parent on a murder-suicide rampage. The Accident Power, is of course, the classic. Use properly, and over a sufficient period of time, deaths can be completely unremarkable. Guy falls off a ladder while adjusting a satellite dish; it happens all the time. Lady slips in the shower and hits her head; it happens all the time. Guy forgets to put the car in park and it rolls over the baby; happens all the time. Even the most savage of slaughters can be attributed to things other than a Boogyman. There are all sorts of Free and Wild spirits out there. Since the Boogyman hides and only shows itself to its weak and helpless victims, it is very easy for such a creature to remain an urban legend even if it leads a wake of bodies.

Edit: I have not seen The Entity. It was inspired by many sources, including a Stephen King short story and episodes of The Real Ghostbusters. But mostly it is just boogyman folklore mixed with SR magic.

...by this token, KK's (the character, oh and BTW #37) home in Salem TT would have become a domain.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Oct 20 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

"Baseball bat"? :eek:

+Quote Post
Ironfish
post Oct 20 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 8,423

Oh man oh man! Thanks you for writing this. This is some serious twisted stuff. I believe I'm going to integrate it into one of my plots this weekend. I would totally go for a horror themed Shadowrun supplement.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Oct 20 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Penta)
On the other hand, if it's from boogyman folklore, maybe it should be defendable against with teddy bears! When the monster comes out, your bear will protect you!:P

Would be interesting if a kid Awakened (with a high Magic att) under such circumstances. Maybe s/he'd develop a personal possession trad, and summon (unknowingly) Guardian spirits to possess the teddy bear and protect him/her.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 20 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

echoes of Lulu.

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Oct 20 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

Yup. One of my players is going to run a mage with MPD (Sybil) with a similar trad, complete with possessed teddy bear, in our next campaign. She got the idea from Lulu (who she's going to be cosplaying as for Halloween btw).

+Quote Post
Big D
post Oct 20 2007, 04:20 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

Care Bear Stare?

+Quote Post
Magus
post Oct 22 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

QUOTE (Penta)

BoogeyMan vs. Drop Bear

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.