IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Worst character concepts?, General question.
Mr. Saturday
post Oct 21 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,801

I'm just curious - what are some of the worst character concepts you've ever heard or seen?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Oct 21 2007, 02:50 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

As in ineffectual or as in gross and abusive?

+Quote Post
Mr. Saturday
post Oct 21 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 8,801

Oh, either on virtue of the one(s) you found more offensive, lol.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 21 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #4

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...(This one is mine) I will have to admit as much as she was fun to play, it has to be my Cajun Boxing adept Hurricane Hannah. The character was very one sided - Unarmed Combat/Throwing Weapons (Unarmed base DV 8/-3AP with a 14 DP)

The character had no real skills that helped with legwork. Her contacts, while believable for the character concept, were literally no help for providing information when on a run. The only other skills of any measurable worth she had were Driving and Ground Vehicle Mechanic (to keep her 8 year old beater pickup running). So when she was not fighting she was the wheelman (er wheel-woman?) or fixing the truck again.

For the most part, until combat ensued I usually went off & read.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 21 2007, 02:59 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Physad super-decker.

The character concept is bad because, as I quickly discovered, the skills to which Improved Ability can apply are enumerated, and Computers is not one. Such is the fate of new player concepts.

Also many cross-game concepts.

~J

+Quote Post
Enigma
post Oct 21 2007, 06:00 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,812

Probably the worst was a shapeshifter magician. I think from memory he wanted to be a Crocodile shapeshifter (slightly cool) but instead went for Killer Whale (stupid).

The especially stupid bit was his combat technique. He was a magician, so he would Shapechange (the spell) into a bird, fly above the target, and then drop the spell and become a killer whale (his natural state as a Killer Whale shapeshifter). Note that this was only employed on land, and usually from about one hundred metres up. The unfortunate target underneath would get a multi-ton killer whale land on them from 100 metres up.

Stupid as this was, the player then whinged for days on end when I said, well, yes the target is very dead but you must now resist 50D damage (half distance fallen, automatically D damage level). The player said that's fine, I will just regenerate the damage no matter what it is. I then pointed out that it's still a deadly wound so he should test for magic loss, thus the whining like a little girl. The character lasted about one game session and lost I think three magic points in that session because he insisted he would keep doing it.

I've also seen a Predator character (alien with the ruthenium polymer suit) being played. First thing on game one he's running around the rooftops jumping between them. I rolled a Perception check for someone to see him. He said, no, you can't, I'm invisible. I suggested that he was still subject to the occasional perception check - not one for every person he passed, but a few here and there. He then complained that I was being unfair because the predator is invisible, so we had to get out the DVD and point out he was nearly invisible but still capable of being seen if you looked hard enough - that's kind of the point of the movie, in some ways. So, about twenty minutes into the character's life he was making up a new one.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 21 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

The especially stupid bit was his combat technique. He was a magician, so he would Shapechange (the spell) into a bird, fly above the target, and then drop the spell and become a killer whale (his natural state as a Killer Whale shapeshifter). Note that this was only employed on land, and usually from about one hundred metres up. The unfortunate target underneath would get a multi-ton killer whale land on them from 100 metres up.

but you have to admit . . that is pretty cool/funny *gg*
at least i think it is x.x . .
but then i once had a shaman who concentrated on a starting force 8 levitation skill . . his war-cry usually was:"ROCKS FALL! EVERYBODY DIES!" no matter what he levitated over the enemy . . the other thing was him seeing something that he did not like and making it fly up HIGH and let it drop down again *g*

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Oct 21 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

@Enigma: Thats the first Killer Whale deserving of the name!

--

The worst on both accounts would be a street sam with (suboptimal due to insufficient rules knowledge) munched reaction under SR3. Everything went into going first. Sheer combat ability suffered because damage restistance was not improved AT ALL.

The char now goes first all the time. The player suffers from an attention deficit and spends as much time on considering options as his char would have (actually good from an RP POV). So all he manages to do - several times - is getting himself into trouble really fast. Like being the only available target for several strong oponents without the capability to withstand damage.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Oct 21 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

Well, one concept from a friend of mine was made more as a joke, but it was head-smacking nonetheless, a paraplegic prince of some obscure country with my other friend playing his butler. :grinbig:

I twinked out this bio-combat-mage one day, just to try to make the Ultimate Combat Character. I basically succeeded and set him aside. Never played, so harm done, the problem was there WAS no concept other than the build a twinked out guy.

But we've seen far worse before, but not in Shadowrun, usually. Ok, there was my other friend's Adept. He was some old drunk French guy and if you were there you'd realize why he became a laughingstock. The character had some potential...but it, ahh, wasn't played up, to be more specific. But this same friend turned around later and made one of the coolest characters ever, so it was more or less a momentary lapse of reason we all have once in awhile.

Theres been a share of ninjas, stripper ninjas, and the like too.

Buddy of mine met this one guy who, when my friend mentioned Shadowrun, the first thing he said was ''i made a street sam who took out a tank with a katana''. One of them. :P

Honestly, Im in the boat of thinking that *just about* any concept can be cool...but it's how they are played. Some concepts have a bit less wiggle room, so to speak, than others. Hell, if someone made a great backstory and a great character that happened to wear a longcoat and wield a sword, i'd be just fine with it.

+Quote Post
Gerzel
post Oct 21 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,771

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Physad super-decker.

The character concept is bad because, as I quickly discovered, the skills to which Improved Ability can apply are enumerated, and Computers is not one. Such is the fate of new player concepts.

Also many cross-game concepts.

~J

you went the wrong way.

It isn't the improved skills that the physad can provide its the bonus to body and to a lesser extent quickness. Also some adept powers can be useful for the Matrix user esp from SOTA 2064, Linguistics, Multi-tasking, Resilience and Cool resolve as well as the expanded Improved abilities all can help the matrix bound adept.

Granted these bonuses most all apply to resisting IC, and dumpshock or to social skills, but hey remember the matrix is really a network of people behind computers.

The other way an Adept's abilities can really help them is by allowing them to get into places, and stay in a place where people normally couldn't. Where a decker jacks in can make all the difference.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 21 2007, 06:35 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

I haven't been new to the game since long before SotA:64, but as it (Edit: where "it" is SotA:64) is an abomination I'll take that as a good thing :)

~J

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 21 2007, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

When we first started playing, one player had an ork street sammi. We hadn't quite got the concept of how deadlyu the guns were (mainly an AD&D group) and so he decided he didn't nned to spent money on body armor- his high body would work so while most of s gotr at least a lined coat, he was in a cotton T. (and pants) the first fire fight, the wall behind him was discribed as lookingl ike "Jackson Pollock's red period."

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Oct 21 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
When we first started playing, one player had an ork street sammi. We hadn't quite got the concept of how deadlyu the guns were (mainly an AD&D group) and so he decided he didn't nned to spent money on body armor- his high body would work so while most of s gotr at least a lined coat, he was in a cotton T. (and pants) the first fire fight, the wall behind him was discribed as lookingl ike "Jackson Pollock's red period."

That's not a dumb character concept, that's just a dumb player that hasn't adjusted to the idea of being an "eggshell wielding hammers".

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 21 2007, 07:10 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

Much like Heinlein's "There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men," this thread is shaping up to say there are no bad characters, only bad players.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 21 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Heinlein clearly never considered the possibility of explosives with a nitrogen triiodide detonator.

~J

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Oct 21 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #16

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Super Professional Uber Badass Ex Special Forces Shadowrunner™ that Never Messes Up® because he's so Uber Professional™.

So...tired...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 21 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #17

The ShadowComedian

also been done by me:
Ghede Houngan in SR3 . .
first run for that character . .
we(runner group, never met before) were invited to an burial . . the son of a high ranking mafia guy . .
so, we stand there looking all serious and the mafia guy starts by nodding his head in the direction of the casket . . and says:"That is my son" . . needless to say i FAILED the willpower roll(DISADVAN: A houngan of Ghede must make a Willpower (6) Test to avoid playing a trick in an inappropriate situation.) . . And of course i, as a player, am also one with a quick mouth and slow brain some times(ok, most of the times, that's why i usually just play trolls as they tend to live longer than any other with that kind of hindrance)and i said:"so? who's the mother? an big wooden closet?" Reactions: all around shocked silence, rest of the group stepped away from my character . . needless to say, my character didn't even stay alive long enough to see the beginnings of the negotiations that were to take place between mafia guy and the rest of the group so they could start looking for the person who snuffed his son . .
i am by now banned from playing characters with certain flaws/edges/requirements and general traits *g*

+Quote Post
Critias
post Oct 21 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I don't see how "saying something completely idiotic" is the same as "playing a trick."

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 21 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

our GM is lenient when it comes to things like these . . i would not, for example(if i were allowed to play such a character), need to play a PRACTICAL trick . . just to do/say something that is a sure fire way to get into trouble *g*

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 21 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

I once had an idea for a mage who made heavy use of the Agony spell.

~J

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Oct 21 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

not that bad of an idea . . torture without leaving evidence for example . .
or an area effect variant of that one to keep people down . . kinda like:"you move, and THIS will happen to you!" *insert screeching sounds of abominable pain here*

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 21 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Stahlseele)
not that bad of an idea . .

Double-check the effects, TN, and drain code and see if you still think so.

~J

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 21 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #23

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Mercer)
Much like Heinlein's "There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men," this thread is shaping up to say there are no bad characters, only bad players.

..ahem.

Hannah was built in response to the campaign being touted as "Combat Heavy" with minimal RP-ing (surprise surprise...).

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 21 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

The play on the Heinlein quote wasn't in response to your character; or anyone's character in particular, just that a good player can do okay with a weak build, and a bad player probably isn't going to do that great no matter how twinked the build. (That's not to say good players don't play powerful characters, because we do. I don't buy into the fallacy that a "weak" build is indicative of better roleplaying-- I've known players who weren't great at either.)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 22 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Weakest Build Contest:

Open with an Elf Ghoul, 30 points Resources, Full Mage, just enough points of Routers and Ports to bring total Essence below 1, all other money saved (through the division by 10 at the end of chargen), exactly one point into all stats, all other build points used to buy irrelevant knowledge skills.

I'm a Real Roleplayer now!

~J

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.