IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Karma Drain from Shadow Spirits, My Players: Don't Tell Brian :)
Dashifen
post Oct 23 2007, 03:25 AM
Post #1

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

So, one of my players has a spirit bane for Shadow Spirits. I'm thinking I'm am thusly justified in tormenting him with something appropriate that latches onto him and makes his life miserable. However, if he gets less karma than the rest of the team, I think it'll tip my hand.

Perhaps I should start giving out variable karma ... in fact I sort of want to ... but historically I've always simply handed out the same amount of karma to everyone who makes the session. It never seemed completely fair to play favorites, but without doing so, I'm not sure how I can obfuscate the karma drained by the Shadow Spirit from one of the PCs.

Have any of you used Shadow Spirits successfully as banes? If so, any pointers with respect to their karma drain?

Thanks,
Dashifen
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 23 2007, 04:41 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Street Magic @ page 147)
Many (but not all) shadows have the Energy Drain(Karma) power

so there you go, you don't have to drain his karma. you can just have a shadow spirit that likes to wake him up at midnight, distract him at the worst possible time, scare off girls he's interested in, etc... just to make his life suck for the fun of it, and not just necessarily to steal his karma.

i would represent this with penalties whenever the spirit steps in...

+Quote Post
Narse
post Oct 23 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,762

You could just not let him know he is getting less karma. Keep track of it yourself and when he wants to spend it if he has enough let him, if he doesn't... well thats when it gets interesting. Too avoid completely repulsing the player I'd allow him to regain most of his lost karma by successfully getting rid of the shadow spirit. Of course this should be of a difficulty that merits such a Karma reward.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 23 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Stupid parentheticals. Thanks, Jaid, I never noticed that. And I like that idea, too, Narse, but I'm not sure I'm organized enough to keep track of the karma. I'm an improvisational GM so I don't take a lot of notes either. I like the idea though, so maybe I'll have to adapt.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Oct 23 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

If it was me running the game, I would interpret the Spirit Bane as "spirits of this type want to kill him" rather than "spirits of this type want to eat him." That circumvents the karma issue entirely.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Oct 23 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #6

Technomancer

Death may be the final result, but I see Shadows as being more mischevious in their death dealing. If you can depress the guy until he commits suicide it's so much more fun than just slaughtering him out right :evil:

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 23 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #7

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

The crucial thing about Karma Drain is to make sure that the PC actually succumbs to the emotion. A dead giveaway of Karma Drain would be that the GM takes control of the PC away from the player, you have to be subtle enough to insert the emotion into what the PC or player would want to do anyway. The simplest counter to this would be to make the GM tip his hand by roleplaying a very cool and calm person, not given to emotional displays.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.