Reply to this topicStart new topic
> UCAS Military?
Earlydawn
post Oct 30 2007, 05:30 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,766

Anybody know which pre-4th edition sourcebooks talk about the UCAS military? Could prove useful for my next game.

Thanks. :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 30 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I can't think of more than a passing mention to the UCAS military in the books I own. Most of the military info is more fluff than hard data. They talk about who's badass and who's where, but they don't really get into specifics. What sort of information are you looking for?

+Quote Post
Nath
post Oct 30 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Data available about the UCAS armed forces is thinly spread in a lot of books. From what I remember...

- Seattle Sourcebook, New Seattle and Runners Havens describe Fort Lewis, McChord AFB and Everett Naval Station.
- Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America mentions the last UCAS submarine base in New London, Connecticut. Plus, the maps in NAGNA and Shadows of North America show that Norfolk is in the CAS (and San Diego in Aztlan, but that was more obvious).
- NAN1 tells the Sioux Wildcats bombed a radar base within UCAS territory.
- Fields of Fire says the Colt Cobra is the standard SMG in the UCAS Army.
- Rigger 3 and SOTA:2063 gives the name for some UCAS armed forces vehicles

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Oct 30 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

According to Street Samurai Catalog both Colt M22A2 and H&K G12A3z were contenders in UCAS Army assault rifle trials in 2050 while the Ares M107 was the standard HMG.
QUOTE (Nath)
- Fields of Fire says the Colt Cobra is the standard SMG in the UCAS Army.

Actually, the Shadowtalk in FoF only states that the UCAS Army might plan to buy the Colt Cobra.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 30 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

One shadowtalk mentioned a hiring plan by the US marines to bring in orks in preference to humans.

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Oct 30 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

Hm, okay. Sad to see the data fragmented. I was specifically looking for strength levels or the land, air, and naval forces. Thanks for the information, though, it's something.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 30 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I think the unspoken assumption (which is actually spoken a lot) is that if the shadowrunners are dealing with the military, they're already hosed. So hard numbers aren't really required. If you need to know the UCAS table of organization for a run, odds are that run is doomed from the start.

From that perspective, there's really no numbers from a book that would be any better than numbers you just make up. I'd guess the Aztlan has the largest military in North America, followed closely by the UCAS, and then the CAS, Sioux and PCC and on down the line. How those militaries are structured is anybody's guess.

Figuring that the UCAS military is pretty similar to the current US military in structure (if not size), then the US Army Table of Organization might be a good place to start.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Oct 30 2007, 03:58 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Since the president is trying to increase the army NOW, maybe the current strength would be a good idea for 2070. Clinton reduced the army from its size in the 1st Gulf War, so I think it is currently a good idea for am uch smaller UCAS.

I know the country is smaller in land mass than the USA but it does have the bulk of the population and has to keep armed borders with CAS and Souix Nation so they do need a good standing army, right?

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Oct 30 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
I know the country is smaller in land mass than the USA but it does have the bulk of the population and has to keep armed borders with CAS

Is the UCAS/CAS border actually fortified?
I imagine it more like the US/Canada border today - after all, UCAS and CAS are not enemies, they split peacefully over political disputes IIRC. There was no Civil War 2.0.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 30 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

You may want to review the Compensation Army affair and the situation in North Virginia. There is bad blood between the two countries.

~J

+Quote Post
casarez
post Oct 30 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,151

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja)
Since the president is trying to increase the army NOW, maybe the current strength would be a good idea for 2070. Clinton reduced the army from its size in the 1st Gulf War, so I think it is currently a good idea for am uch smaller UCAS.

Psst, Bush 1 did that not Clinton. He also scheduled the second drawdown. The third was all Clinton and the fourth Bush 2.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 31 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Clinton did the most damage- the USS Cole can be blamed on him directly. they kept up the fighting fleet but stripped the support fleet- like deep water tankers, so we needed to be in Yemen for refueling.

but to keep this on topic. Yeah the size of the army has never been defined. gotta figure if you are up against regulars with gun ships, MBT's and lots of tech toys, you a seriously hosed.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Oct 31 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

An interesting definition of "directly".

~J

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 31 2007, 01:06 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

I did try to keep on topic but.

if Clinton hadn't gotten rid of the support ships, the navy would have stayed at sea to refuel and nott been sent into a terrorist hotspot. also the hwite house gave orders limiting the guards on the ship, unloaded rifles, don't want to offend the Yemeni so even if a sentry did see the obat in time, he couldn't do anything to stop them with an empty rifle.

+Quote Post
casarez
post Oct 31 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 8,151

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
I did try to keep on topic but.

if Clinton hadn't gotten rid of the support ships, the navy would have stayed at sea to refuel and nott been sent into a terrorist hotspot. also the hwite house gave orders limiting the guards on the ship, unloaded rifles, don't want to offend the Yemeni so even if a sentry did see the obat in time, he couldn't do anything to stop them with an empty rifle.

You do realize that the President, with Congressional approval (from a Republican controlled congress for Clinton), just approves a list submitted to him by DoD right? You also know the ROE can be set by people other than the PotUS right? It is done a lot of the time by State Department or DoD itself with no Presidential interference at all.

+Quote Post
martindv
post Oct 31 2007, 03:00 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

How dare facts get in the way of a good rant!

+Quote Post
Roadspike
post Oct 31 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 389

QUOTE (Nath)
- Neo-Anarchist Guide to North America mentions the last UCAS submarine base in New London, Connecticut.

Don't forget Bangor, Washington or Bangor, Maine. While I'm sure that the Western Bangor is in the hands of the Salish (or some other NAN, but I believe it's the Salish), the Eastern Bangor is certainly still in UCAS hands (unless Quebec -really- expanded, but somehow I doubt that). Of course, it could have been shut down...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Oct 31 2007, 09:33 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

I seem to remember hearing about Bangor. With the loss of Hampton Roads Where would the UCAS base their fleet out of? Brooklyn and Philadelphia navy yards are given over to commercial shi-s. New York and boston are really convoluted harbors.

Baltimore maybe or is that too close to CAS?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:15 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.