Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pulling a "Wolverine"?, Rules question on melee combat
JakeMorley
post Nov 25 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,846

Hi all - this is my first post to this forum, so I hope the question isn't too stupid.

I'm currently playing D&D with my group, and when this campaign winds down I'd like to run Shadowrun. It's been awhile since I've done so, and I've only run Third Edition once and played it twice. I have almost all the Third Edition stuff (and a good variety of First and Second) . Anyway, my group includes several cyberpunk (as a genre) and comic book fans. One player inquired about the possibility of making a character who "fights like Wolverine", which I guess is fair enough.

So my question is: what would be the best way to do this, and since I'm the GM, what would be a reasonable level to allow? I'm thinking something along the lines of bone lacing and cyberspurs on each arm (I'm sure he will buy some other cyberware as well). I understand this would let him do (1.5 * STR)M damage. Could he buy the Ambidextrous edge or Off Hand Weapon to increase his dice pool as well? Would this work in conjunction with the extra damage, or would he have to choose between extra dice for a (STR)M hit versus base dice for an (1.5 * STR)M hit?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 25 2003, 01:27 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Oy.

I'd say he wouldn't need to buy ambi for using melee weapons. And since he's using the same weapons in tandem, I wouldn't even require him to buy the "off-hand" weapon skill. Go with the (Str * 1.5)M ruling -- if he buy any Strength augs, that'll be nasty enough as it is.

Although you will have to decide how to rule an attack on two targets -- it's a Wolverine thing.

In that instance, I'd go with +2 on the primary hand, +4 on the off-hand unless he did buy Ambi and then knock it down to +2/+2.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Nov 25 2003, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I would give him the option of either rolling more dice OR do Str 1*5M damage.

You could give him Pentjak-silat which (while karma/skill point intesive) would allow him to buy maneuvers for his Cyber implant skill. He would only need it at 4 to get multi-strike for Cyber combat.

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 25 2003, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

There's no reason to deny a character with spurs or related weapons their special (Strength+50%) Power bonus. It was just as balanced when there were no Ambidexterity/Off-Hand Weapon skills as it is afterwards. Before, they were still doing that much damage with 6 dice while opponents only had 6 dice with their weapon. Now, they can get 9 dice while opponents can have 9 dice for the same investment in Skills and Edges. The balance is maintained.

Especially considering that they had to buy the weapon twice, just like any other dual-weilder. And on top of that, they had to pay Essence for it. They still have to buy the edge, just like any other dual-weilder would, and they have to buy the Skill, just like anyone else would.

It's a unique characteristic of spurs, just like a Katana has Reach or a Whip can entangle. It helps keep them "up to par" with other melee weapons, and thus maintain the "cyberpunk" feel of the game. Denying a player a weapon's unique characteristic for no other reason than an ill-conceived belief that it's somehow munchkiny (even though it's clearly not) is just lame in my book.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Nov 25 2003, 10:27 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

We have a couple people doing the double spur routine in our game as well and having a great time with their characters.

We only allow either the strength increase from both weapons or the dice increase (if they have the approprate off-hand skill or ambi). However, they can choose which one they want to use when declare their attack. This allows them the flexibility of both options, just not at the same time.

+Quote Post
Alania
post Nov 25 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 5,517

One of the main thingies with Wolverine's style to fight was that he had few reasons to care about wounds thanks to his mutant healing power

..you might want to think about the "immortal flower" from m&m
quite powerful ...but you have to think about it every time you try to use it
if you get hurt ...in the end you pay for it still.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 25 2003, 11:50 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Lessee...last time I made a Wolverine for a game, it was a wolf shapeshifter with amnesia, titanium bone lacing, dikoted retractable cyberspurs, radio-activated invoked memory stimulator, and an adrenal gland with some senseware. All delta-grade/cultured.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Nov 26 2003, 12:11 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

I had been under the impression that cyberware implanted on shapeshifters promptly was promptly extracted from the system by the shapeshifting ability (from what I recall of the subject from the Shadowrun Companion). Thus, all that various nifty delta-grade stuff would promptly fall off his bones....

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 26 2003, 12:25 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Incorrect! The cyber is only rejected if he tries to shift form. Except in the case of sufficiently invasive cyberware, which prevents that. Or, in this case, by amnesia to make sure he "forgets" he's a shapeshifter.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

No, not incorrect. House rule. The rules for Shapeshifters explicitly say that cyberware is a no-no. There's only a rumor that it's possible, and that's all it is -- a rumor... and doing so locks them into human form as opposed to what you just said.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Nov 26 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

That's the POINT, Doc. Besides which, it never says anywhere in the SrComp that they cannot get cyberware, only that they cannot WILLINGLY get cyberware, and that it usually gets rejected soon after if the surgery is successful.

So, it is unlikey, but within the domain of the GM (since this was an NPC character in my camapign at the time).

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 01:17 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

:please:

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 26 2003, 01:53 AM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Game2BHappy)
We only allow either the strength increase from both weapons or the dice increase (if they have the approprate off-hand skill or ambi). However, they can choose which one they want to use when declare their attack. This allows them the flexibility of both options, just not at the same time.

Rob Boyle's response to this question when it was raised earlier is that the rules in no way supercede each other, and so both are applicable.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 26 2003, 04:30 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

For Wolverine as a cybered character, get cyberspurs on both arms, dikote them, get the 6-point Ambidexterity Edge, then get titanium bone lacing and some senseware. For bioware, get enhanced articulation, symbiotes, and a platelet factory. If the GM allows cultured bioware at char-gen, then add reflex recorder/cyberspurs and either a pain editor or a trauma dampener. Be sure to get either muscle replacement or muscle augmentation, since Strength is what make spurs effective. For initiative 'ware, you will probably be stuck at the low end, although if the GM allows cultured bioware, you could stack something like boosted reflexes: 1 and synaptic accelerator: 1 to get at least a halfway-decent initiative.

If you are more interested in an effective character than in recreating Wolverine as precisely as possible, then get ceramic bone lacing and dermal sheath: 3 instead of the titanium. You wind up with about 4 points of impact armor, which makes it a lot easier to soak melee damage.

For skills, be sure to take Pentjak Silat, which allows you to buy maneuvers for cyberspurs such as close combat and whirling. Ninjutsu does, as well, but as written it is not a good martial art for weapons users, since it doesn't have nearly as good a selection of maneuvers (from a combining with cyberspurs perspective)..

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Nov 26 2003, 05:22 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

You know, I think I agree with Alania & Co - its not the spurs, people, its the regeneration you want! Now, you aren't going to get that properly in SR (arguments about the rights and wrongs of cybered shapeshifters aside. Personally I'd say not, but that's just me), but while you're putting all this cyber and weaponry in your poor schmo character, don't forget the quick healer edge and lots of nanoware, plus damage compensators, trauma dampners and all the rest!

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 05:35 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Quick Healer, Guardian Angel Nano-Biomonitor, Trauma Dampener, and Symbiotes 3 is all you need to mimick Logan's mutant healing factor (he doesn't regenerate, he just heals *really* fast).

With that combo you automatically gain a 6-die Biotech check on yourself with a -4 TN bonus, but not until after the Trauma Damper has already staged your Wound Level down by one category (by either shifting one box to Stun or eliminating one box of Stun altogether). The Symbiotes and a high Body score then determine how quickly the rest of the wound heals.

So a Deadly Physical wound would immediately become a Serious+3 wound (9 boxes). His Guardian Angel then rolls 6 dice against a TN of 4 (base 8 for what is now a Serious wound, -2 from the Guardian Angel, -2 from Quick Healer) to see if that's staged down to a Moderate wound (3 boxes). He then gets to make his Body test against a TN of 4 to see how long it takes each box to heal, halving the time thanks to his Symbiotes.

And that's just a Deadly wound. Serious wounds would easily become a Light wound, and Moderate and Light wounds would all but be ignored.

At least that's if I remember all that correctly, and chances are I didn't. :) But you get the drift.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Nov 26 2003, 05:38 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

you forgot platelet factories

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 05:41 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Platelet Factories would be a waste (since the Trauma Damper is all you need to drop a Wound Level, and the Guardian Angel is likely going to drop it down to the base of the next Wound Level anyway) and a liability (due to the drug dependency).

A Pain Editor would be a good addition, though. Not only does it let him "ignore" his now-minor wounds, but it allows him to continue to function (at least more easily than without one) if he's "knocked unconscious" due to Deadly Stun.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Nov 26 2003, 07:09 PM
Post #19

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Hey, a little redundancy is never a bad thing... especally if you intend on getting railed with deadly wounds all the time, stuff breaks like that...

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Nov 26 2003, 07:32 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Some games allow a chemical gland that produces the required anti-coagulant. You might also go with an auto-injector with enough extra doses to keep you afloat for a week or two, reducing the risk of being caught without a dose.

If you've already got a character sporting nanites and other expensive/exotic/complicated shit, dealing with the platelet factory drug isn't that big of a deal.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 07:52 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Oh, I agree. It's just like I said, it's largely a waste considering the other components. At best, it would reduce the Deadly wound to Serious+2 instead of Serious+3, but since the Nano-Biomonitor/Biotech test automatically reduces it to the next lowest wound (Moderate; 3 boxes) whether it's S+3 or S+2, it doesn't serve much of a purpose beyond increasing your Bio Index and lessening your resources.

I was just giving a barebones set of options. :) There's nothing wrong with taking the Platelet Factories, it's just a "waste" for the most part. And heaven forbid it did take a Light amount of stress...

+Quote Post
JakeMorley
post Nov 26 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 5,846

QUOTE (spotlite)
You know, I think I agree with Alania & Co - its not the spurs, people, its the regeneration you want! Now, you aren't going to get that properly in SR (arguments about the rights and wrongs of cybered shapeshifters aside. Personally I'd say not, but that's just me), but while you're putting all this cyber and weaponry in your poor schmo character, don't forget the quick healer edge and lots of nanoware, plus damage compensators, trauma dampners and all the rest!

Actually, the player who asked me about it did want the spurs...:)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 27 2003, 05:15 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

If you want to go the magical route, you could always play an adept with Improved Ability: Cyber-Implant Combat: 6 who uses a set of dikoted forearm snap blades, and buys the SURGE ability of regeneration (I don't have that particular book, but I am fairly certain that regeneration is one of the abilities that you can purchase). You get someone who rolls 18 dice in combat (assuming you give him the 6-point Ambidexterity Edge too) and heals nearly instantly. And you still have 3 power points to spend.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 27 2003, 06:00 AM
Post #24

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

You can also go the adept route. Give him Killing Hands, and as a special effect, make them bone spurs that pop from the back of his hands. Improved Unarmed Combat is a given. You can then add Rapid Healing and Mystic Armor, plus Improved Body and Increase Reflexes. He won't be nearly as powerful at first, but as time goes on, he'll get much nastier.

Don't forget to give him the edges of Perceptive and Quick Healer; those, when combined with the other adept abilities, will really make him like the character. The Quick Healer edge works remarkably well with adept abilities and bioware.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 27 2003, 07:30 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Improved Sense (Improved Scent) and Improved Sense (Olfactory Booster) would be a better investment than just the Perceptive edge, though the latter would certainly be a nice boon.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.