Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grenades, Non-standard room shapes
JesterX
post Nov 6 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,390

How would you rule a grenade shock wave rebound in a non-standard room?

How many walls can affect the blast strength?

What about if the grenade exploded in a triangular shaped room?

What about a circular room?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Nov 6 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (JesterX)
How would you rule a grenade shock wave rebound in a non-standard room?

How many walls can affect the blast strength?

What about if the grenade exploded in a triangular shaped room?

What about a circular room?

Don't put too much effort into, blast reflection already seems to ignore reflections from the floor and/or ceiling, so don't kill yourself trying to preserve precision in an already extremely abstract/approximate system.

Okay, triangular room: blast rebounds off 3 walls, secondary rebounds (if any) are ignored or approximated.
Round room: approximate as square

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 6 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

It only matters if the walls are really tough and the room quite small. A conventional construction building will have the walls blown out and the ceiling collapse if you set off an explosive charge in it.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Nov 6 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

I prefer the "Chunky Salsa" rules. You're in a small room without cover when a grenade goes of and you're not a troll in heavy armor then you should order a shoebox for your remains. I hate excessive math :P

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Nov 6 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

additionally, if you're experiencing chunky salsa effect, i'd say it's a bit of a moot point whether you take 30 damage or only 20 ;)

[edit] drat, beaten to the punch! [/edit]

This post has been edited by Jaid: Nov 6 2007, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Nov 6 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #6

Running Target

I rock AND roll :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Nov 7 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Man, I don't know. The difference between 30 and 20 DV would be pretty big for the troll in my group. He's scored 15 hits on damage resistance before. (To be fair, Edge was involved.)

That said, I'd never spend too much time worrying about the math/geometry of bouncing explosions. I'd make a quick decision about what makes sense, check who dies, and move on. That's mostly because I'm bad at the math stuff, though.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Nov 7 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

What about multiple gernades or a burst or full auto shot from a auto gernade launcher. Were now seeing shotgun shell sized gernades how about 60 yrs from now. Not to mention the MK19 full auto gernade launcher thats been around for a long time.

In the latter case we treat it as full auto attack with +1 meter per round effect.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Nov 7 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #9

Running Target

If something like that is an issue, I doubt you are still playing Shadowrun. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Nov 7 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

For those of us who want the RAW to be used *only* for runners of 200-400 BP plus 0-200 Karma, and not, within that, any vehicular combats, nor trolls with full body armor, bone density, and Toughness, nor dragons as published in RAW, nor cyberzombies as published in Augmentation, etc., then sure, you can just say that such situations are "off the map". If the guards use a MK 19 grenade launcher, the GM can rule that the PCs are dead with no saving throw. But then again, flash-bangs are 6S; you really think that ANY target caught in an enclosed space with a flash-bang is auto-insta-killed? Some of the stock characters in BBB might survive and be conscious (although really looking forward to some rest and recovery), if several meters away from the flash-bang.

For those of us who want the rules to be a toolkit, it's interesting to see things scale up and down. Also, for those of us who might ever run an adventure including any of the situations listed above, eg a vehicular combat that involves going through a tunnel. (Bulldog has 24 dice to soak, Citymaster has more.)

I don't think shape would make any difference, other than whether the shockwave has a direction in which it can disperse, or is fully confined. Even within a theoretical perfectly square room, with all doors closed and having exact same qualities as the walls, calculating four reflections is still an approximation of complex phenomena. I'd defer to those with more Demolitions knowlege.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.