IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Target Number Modifiers, How bad can it get?
RedmondLarry
post Nov 26 2003, 10:55 AM
Post #1

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

Last night in a fight
I fired my weapon at extreme range (TN 9)
with my 6 boxes physical (+3)
and my 6 boxes stun (+3)
While astrally perceiving (+2)
and maintaining 3 spells (+6)
I ran over difficult ground (+6)
to where I was behind 75% cover (+3)
with 5 melee or blocking opponents within 1 meter (+10)
against a target who had run (+2)
while invisible (+8 )
and concealed by a spirit (+6)
and in complete darkness (+8 )
to behind a car providing 75% cover (+6)
whose exhaust covered him in heavy smoke (+6)
but whose headlights glared at me (+2)
so I made a called shot (+4)
even though I had to default to attribute (+4)
to fire my vindicator minigun's
15 shots with no recoil comp (+30)
though dwarf am I with heavy weapon (+4)
in my off hand (+4)
while confused by a spirit (+6)
in a Chaotic World Spell (+6)
facing a Flash-Pak (+4)
after the HMG in my right hand (+2 dual firearms)
had missed someone else (+2 second target)
with its 10 uncompensated rounds (+20 recoil).

My GM said, OK, TN 166.

My highest roll was a seven, so I asked my GM
if I could use a 1st edition rule, pretty please.

He said OK, just this once.

So I spent two Karma and purchased a success
and blew the sucker to kingdom come.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Traks
post Nov 26 2003, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,685

Pretty high :)
And no, you wouldn't get autosuccess for 2 karma at my table.

I admit that once player tried to get over 96 TN and of course rolled nothing.
On another hand, different player manages to get 12-14 with rolling 4-6 dice pretty often. He is just lucky bastard, not cheater. But he gets to know too many things and too fast *sigh*

Nice rhyme, btw

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 26 2003, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

:eek: Yowzer :eek:

Must remember to say no if my players ask to use 1st ed rules... Or yes if they really f**king need it and I'm trying desperately not to kill them all.

In a game last sunday I actually made a pray roll (on my char's religion skill) to attempt to invoke the hand of his god. I don't know if it's actually going to save us, but it did do something even though it seemed less than helpful (the lake which our stone sky-ship was falling towards drained)

(I'd like to point-out that it wasn't DnD, it was a friend's home-grown system)

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 26 2003, 11:37 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Well, since the book says that 10+ is 'nearly impossible' we just never put a TN over 12. In your 166 case, the TN would have been 12 (only an insane GM would count up all the negatives to come up with a TN of 166).

Highest TN I ever had to roll was a 24 on a RadioShack Tortoise without a datajack, and I had a computer skill of 4 and no pool to add in from.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Traks
post Nov 26 2003, 11:43 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Well, since the book says that 10+ is 'nearly impossible' we just never put a TN over 12.

And using at least 18 dice as your team usually does (from what you are telling here, not by personal experience), no wonder you have successes so often.

Man, I would be going around with full auto shooting and TN12.
Just hop fire from one enemy to another, spending not too much on each.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 26 2003, 12:19 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Traks: I honestly have no clue what you're talking about, sorry (where did you hear we have so many successes? I don't even recall the last time a TN 12 was made...). I think you're trying to flame me (not really sure) and doing so without even taking the time to look or think before you speak.

Play to a 150 or 250 karma once and see how many dice you can roll in your speciality. And even then, TN 12 is nearly impossible (unless you're playing the 50+ skill Adept character of course)

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 26 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Play to a 150 or 250 karma once and see how many dice you can roll in your speciality. And even then, TN 12 is nearly impossible (unless you're playing the 50+ skill Adept character of course)

Uhh, no. With 18 dice, you've got a 40% chance of rolling a 12 (1 - (35/36)^18). With 36 dice, 64% with is almost the same as rolling 3 or more with 1 die. Heck, even with "just" 10 dice, you've got a 25% chance of getting a 12 at least once.

+Quote Post
Earthwalker
post Nov 26 2003, 12:30 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 3,225

There is definatly some justification for not applying some modifiers and of course th 166 example was just being over the top.

We did have a situation of an unaugumented character trying to shoot someone at medium range with a pistol. It was late at night with cloud cover in the barrens so the light was poor. it was raining heavily and the target was using a flash pak.

Target numbers were

Base 5
+6 (light)
+4 (Rain)
+4 (flash pak)
-1 (laser sight)

Total target number - 18

Now if the same guy closed his eyes and shot at the place he hear the splashing

Base 5
+8 blind fire

Total target number 13

Now it is of course better just to close your eyes and shoot. Of course the target numbers only got that high as the shooter was unauged. Add in themo eyes and flare comp and a smart gun link and its.

Base 5
+4(light)
+0 (rain)
+2(flash pak)
-2(smart gun)

Total target number 9

Of course I havent my books here and cant remember the light mods for themo cyber.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 26 2003, 12:37 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Ok, Austere, try reading what I wrote. I didn't say crap about 18 dice being nearly impossible. I said 150 to 250 karma characters still being nearly impossible (as they won't have that many dice in their speciality). Most will maybe have a skill of 12 (probably lower). Even if you get 12 dice, that's a 30.666 % chance, at 10 (a more common number at that karma level) it's less than 25% chance. With how often TN's of 12+ come up (that should be kinda rare...) your chances of rolling a 12 on the roll that needs a 12 is nearly impossible.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Traks
post Nov 26 2003, 12:39 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Traks: I honestly have no clue what you're talking about, sorry (where did you hear we have so many successes?

And even then, TN 12 is nearly impossible (unless you're playing the 50+ skill Adept character of course)

Sphynx

Well, yeah, I guess I was flaming a little.
But there was also constructive criticism inside.

I told not 18 successes, but 18 Dice. Your (not those of my players) starting chars usually roll at least 12 dice, if not more. And Austere pointed out perfectly. If you use 12 dice and always TN12, with couple of tries you will succeed always. Even when jumping in air with a bike (without any bike skill) and shooting a weapon you have no skill at, at bad guy which has body covered for 9/10 and dealing deadly damage. Too much of heroism and feeling of rule "the harder it is, the more likely good guy will pull it off"

Earthwalker - I think that yes, vision modifiers should not be over +8 as for blindfight. Just houserule it to sane numbers :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 26 2003, 01:21 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Sphynx)
Ok, Austere, try reading what I wrote.

Am I allowed to answer: "Ok, Sphynx, try reading what I wrote."? No? Darn.

You said TN 12 is nearly impossible, unless you've got 50+ dice. I proved that is not the case.

I think very high TNs are most likely coming up when you're shooting someone, where you need a whopping skill of 5(!) to get 10 dice (assuming you have at least a mediocre CP of 5).

Skill 9 + CP9 (the street sammies in my game started at 350 Karma with BeCKS and will be at that level once they get to ~500 karma, while Starting Char + 150 would normally be closer to 600) is 18 dice, and like I said, at that point TN 12 is nowhere near impossible.

Now, a max TN of 18 might work, with an 8% chance of pulling it off with 18 dice. However, I'm not very likely to drop my max TN from the 36 where it is now. If someone rolls 6 6's in a row, they deserve whatever they were going for, but 30s come up too often for my liking...

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 26 2003, 02:02 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Trak... I don't even know where you get that my players start with 12 dice. Only one even started with a skill over 6 at char-gen (the physical adept with the swords). Please point me to where that is not the case... you can see the starting characters at http://shadowrun.i-sphynx.com/orig_characters.htm. All except Cronus (who will be our GM's PC when I take over the game first weekend of January).

I appreciate that people are annoyed that I play 'power' games, but at least keep the fact straight on how 'power' gaming they are. You're way off on the numbers.

Austere. I agree that 18 is better if I want to keep things 'impossible' that are rated as impossible, and if I ever go for a grittier game, will definitely do that. However, 12 is perfect BECAUSE of the type of game we play. Spending 3 karma pool to make sure you get a 12 is part of the fun. Spending 3 karma pool and still failing on 2 rerolls because of an insane TN kinda convinces alot of players to not spend karma pool for 'cool' effects. I think 12 is perfect, even if the base percentange is 25+%.

Sphynx

PS. And actually, you ARE allowed to reply in that manner, even though I may seem annoyed, I'm never really bothered by flame comments, I just wanna know that's what they are so I can flame back a bit without sounding like I took the offensive. ;) Sorry if I seemed too offensive in my reply.

+Quote Post
Earthwalker
post Nov 26 2003, 02:05 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 3,225

Yeah most of the time we do cap the limit of vision mods people recieve as anything about +8 is worse then just closing your eyes and shooting. Of course thats just for vision, recoil and cover would add to this.

And is it me or would the shooter with a minigun in one hand and a HMg in the other just be better off firing them both into the area the bad guy is and letting suppersion fire do the work ?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 26 2003, 02:40 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

nice, OurTeam, but haiku is only three lines and seventeen syllables.

my TN last night
was one hundred and sixty
six. that was teh suck.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Nov 26 2003, 03:40 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Sphynx

poor Sphynx.... :(

Just kidding. :D Really, you do take a whole lotta crap 'round these parts....

Stay strong! Don't let The Man get you down. Er...more down than you are. The dwarf thing, I mean.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 26 2003, 03:58 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

No worries Sphynx. I can see how capping TN at 12 might be good in a game where heroic stunts are encouraged. I get a bit irritated sometimes, but I calm down almost as quickly...

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Nov 26 2003, 04:03 PM
Post #17

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Sadly, a number of those mods dont stack I think. Like the invis, conceled, smoke, with cover. And I wanna know how (by cannnon) you could fire a minigun with one hand (not on a tripod, there is no recoil comp)

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 26 2003, 04:14 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Well, you could do it -- but I'd like to see the mechanic for "missing limb due to minigun recoil". :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Nov 26 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

QUOTE (Lindt)
Sadly, a number of those mods dont stack I think.  Like the invis, conceled, smoke, with cover.  And I wanna know how (by cannnon) you could fire a minigun with one hand (not on a tripod, there is no recoil comp)

I definitely agree on not stacking the visibility mods ... if they get worse than blind fire we just use blind fire mods.

As far how to fire a minigun with one hand: If he has a Body of 8+ and Strength of 8+ he can attempt to shoot the minigun with one hand and a modifier. (At least with my interpretation of the rules on p. 99, CC)

As to how effective he is ... well I think the +30-something mods take care of that. :P

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Nov 26 2003, 04:23 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

QUOTE (Lindt)
Sadly, a number of those mods dont stack I think. Like the invis, conceled, smoke, with cover. And I wanna know how (by cannnon) you could fire a minigun with one hand (not on a tripod, there is no recoil comp)

I was just thinking that very same thing. Anyone wanna take a crack at which ones don't stack?

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Nov 26 2003, 05:31 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Earthwalker)
We did have a situation of an unaugumented character trying to shoot someone at medium range with a pistol. It was late at night with cloud cover in the barrens so the light was poor. it was raining heavily and the target was using a flash pak.

Target numbers were

Base 5
+6 (light)
+4 (Rain)
+4 (flash pak)
-1 (laser sight)

Flash paks actually help in dark situations, negating the poor lighting and imposing only a +2 for the flash pak.

That'd make it a TN 10.

+Quote Post
Dende
post Nov 26 2003, 06:57 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,837

Well to start:
Tn of 7 NOT 9 for Extreme range -2
The 6 boxes physical AND stun? Realistically if you have a huge wound, that bump on the head isn't going be bothering you. -3
Astral Perception to see the guy would negate a lot of the visibility mods, which shouldn't stack anyway. So invisible is negated, concealed by a spirit, well since it would be visible on the plane, I suppose leave that one there. Complete darkness negated. -16
Exhaust wouldn't be visible on the plane and we have hit -6, to be an ass I suppose the GM could make it 2 worse...but not a full 6...so -4
Glare would also negate the lighting negative by providing this, thought at extreme range of a gun that large...I doubt you would see them at all, no negated -2
15 shots no recoil comp...moving, from a gun this large...a +30...I dunno, I will leave it but shit...
Confused by a spirit? In Chaotic World...
Flash pak again negates the darkness, but this you may be able to see. So I will leave this on here.
HMG in main hand...the offhand modifier covers anything else in the other hand...only the recoil adds(the way I think it works, I could be off there) another -2.
2nd target, I will leave, and 10 uncompensated rounds...No, I think the +30 to using the gun is enough.Realistically a gun can only be so hard to fire before you say, no you just plain can't do it, target numbers or otherwise. Assuming allowing the full 30 before, no way is there gonna be a total of 50 because of the gun...If you have 50 from the gun alone...why bother? I say -20 as the +30 is plenty for a gun mod...

The way I call it: At most 115 but really if you have more than a +50 you shouldn't be able to do it at all..even with a cap of rolling a 24 or 36...that assumes you can do it. this situation just can't.

I appreciat4e you were making it as bad as humanly possible for sake of the tale...but don't strecth it. A 50 is huge...a 166 is rediculous.
A called shot, yeah...why? It should still stack, but come on. Defaulting to attribue firing a gun like this, how and why? Obviously you are a mage, why use a gun like this? that is horrible...but since you are, leave it for now. Okay one handed was bad enough, but offhand?
Why does dwarf with heavy weapon give a +4? Because I don't know the rule I will leave this one alone.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Nov 26 2003, 07:03 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

He's defaulting, so he can't take the TN 9 extreme-range shot even in full daylight with a giant glowing arrow pointing to a stationary, aircraft carrier-sized target. :P

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 26 2003, 07:19 PM
Post #24

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Zazen Wins. You can not default if the TN is 8 or higher before the defaulting modifier is applied. SR3 p. 85. I had forgotten this.

And I agree on all the limits on vision penalties described above, and the astral perception getting past most of them. Also, Called Shot can only be done with a weapon capable of SS, SA, or BF firing modes (Called Shots, SR3 p. 114).

I've been working on a TN calculator for ranged fire for a few days, and yesterday I clicked all the boxes that give penalties and none of the ones that give a benefit and was amazed at the result. I decided to post it here, along with a lot of modifiers that the calculator doesn't handle (it's for use by GMs that haven't yet memorized all the mods). And yes, mfb, I tried for a poetry affect, but I'm clearly no poet. I appreciate the vote of confidence though.

The discussion (on another thread) of TN penalties due to Glare, Thermal Smoke, and White Noise came from observations made while trying to program the rules for Visibility into the calculator. I'll post the calculator soon.

+Quote Post
thunderchild
post Nov 27 2003, 06:46 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,479

(im going to interject first up and let you know that you actualy used IMHO 3 complex actions IN ONE PHASE, you ran to cover, fired your hmg for a 10 round FA burst, then fired your vindicator, i scrubbed the firing of the hmg)

I fired my weapon at long range (TN 6) ( extreme is at 900+ meters for a vindicator, you couldnt realisticly see them at that range)

with my 6 boxes physical (+3)
and my 6 boxes stun (+3)

(ok first of all i find it hard to believe your doing anything buy lying in a pool of your own blood atm, but for the sake of argument ok)

While astrally perceiving (+2) (all visibility mods removed cause your viewing in the astral, glare and flashbangs mean shit all)

and maintaining 3 spells (+6)
I ran over difficult ground (+6)
to where I was behind 75% cover (+3)
with 5 melee or blocking opponents within 1 meter (+10)

against a target who had run ( had run not is running, he is either taking cover or running, not both)

and concealed by a spirit (+6)
to behind a car providing 75% cover (+6)
so I made a called shot (+4)
even though I had to default to attribute (+4)
to fire my vindicator minigun's 15 shots with no recoil comp (+30)
though dwarf am I with heavy weapon (+4)
in my off hand (+4)
while confused by a spirit (+6)
in a Chaotic World Spell (+6)

Its now at 109, still next to impossible, but a whole lot less painful than 166.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.