Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Dreaded Called Shot, To use, or not to use
kevyn668
post Nov 26 2003, 04:19 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,375

Last week I was running a fairly new group and one of the guys discovered the joys of the "head shot". After he did it successfully one of the other players asked "wow, we can do that?"
The first responded, "yeah, but I wouldn't do it too often or else he'll [me] use it on us."

Which made me think about it. Would I? These guys spend most of their time sluggin it out w/ gangs and sec guards. They're not quite "gang level" but not much above it, either. As such, the opposition is competent but rarely a match for the runners in a straight fight. So they have to use numbers.

Anyways, the thing is what do you folks think about using head shots on your players? I guess I feel that using head shots is taking it too far. (Unless your playing some Sniper scenario) Its like, I feel as a GM I should provide an entertaining and challenging adventure/story/campaign and useing the Head Shot moves me past "providing challenge" and straight into "trying to defeat" my players. (Which I reserve for when they really, really piss me off :D ) So, as it stands, my players and I seem to have an unspoken agreement: don't go buck wild with head shot thing and there won't be an enemy on the roof across the street.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 26 2003, 04:22 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Well, to take a "called shot" requires or at least implies a certain amount of skill.

Which means it won't be happening in the middle of a regular furball, but piss off a skilled marksman...

However, headshots tend to fall into the "Orbital Cow" group -- the same reason why GMs don't plant c-21 in players' cars or in the toilet bowl of their apartments.

Autokills by GMs tend to be less than popular among players.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 04:28 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Lemme guess, you're using the "head shots" that allow people to ignore armor, right? :please: Oy.

+Quote Post
Game2BHappy
post Nov 26 2003, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,355

This thread sounds a little familiar. :)

+Quote Post
Crimson Jack
post Nov 26 2003, 06:49 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,712

I use head shots on my group, as appropriate for the enemies that they're going up against. For instance, if they're having a run-in with a street-level gang, all of the shots are being aimed at the parties torsos, more or less. I don't imagine that there's a lot of target practice going on with these gangs... if it is, it's probably bums or devil rats, right? But, say the group is going up against a crack team of Azzie wetwork ops. Different story.

Even then though, I try to keep it believable. If the Azzie black ops are in melee with the group, or engaged in close quarters combat of any type, perhaps its not the best to make called shots to the head. Maybe they fire one off at the onset. Maybe there's a sniper who needs to control the group. Using this once or twice in a game will get lots of mileage. You'll have a savvy group of Shadowrunners if you cap one of them unmercilessly once. It is true that it doesn't go over well, but it creates a sense of paranoia that you simply cannot beat in a game.

Shadowrun should feel deadly in my opinion. It doesn't really have a high fantasy feel to me, so I don't run it that way. Kill someone every once in a while. Offer some starting karma to the recently waxed's player. You'll get wide eyes and a much more careful group after that. If the story continues to rock, you probably shouldn't have too much trouble with the players resenting you for it. I've used it once in one of my games and while it shocked the group, no one had any hard feelings (even the bullet soaker) over it. They all know that they play in a deadly game so.....

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Nov 26 2003, 08:21 PM
Post #6

Mostly Harmless

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 176

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Lemme guess, you're using the "head shots" that allow people to ignore armor, right? :please:  Oy.

*sigh* *bites tongue*

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 08:24 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Do problems arise when using the standard Called Shot rules? No. Players can choose to take a +3 (laser sight), +2 (smartlink), or +0 (smartlink-2) modifier to their shot to improve the Damage Level by +1. If the end result is a Deadly wound, there's your headshot. Targets are still considered armored, so flechette remains just fine for what it's intended for within the game. The rule is totally consistant with the majority of the other rules despite some people's inability to comprehend that the rules are abstract and work because of that.

Do problems arise when using the house ruled Called Shots that ignore armor? Constantly. Armor values become ridiculous and you get posts like the first one of this thread just for starters. You then have the fact that flechette ammo becomes utterly unstoppable (now it's +2 Damage Level at a +0 mod with a smartlink-2), and you have to voluntarily decide not to use it on most shots just because you're afraid the GM is going to do the same to you. All under the misguided and ill-conceived notion that they're introducing "realism" into the game, nevermind that it's wholly inconsistant with everything else in the game. That's just stupid and wrong. I take that back, it's not wrong -- it's admirable if you actually attempt to go the entire way and fix everything so it's all more realistic. But when you don't, it most definitely is wrong.

But go figure.

+Quote Post
Corywn
post Nov 26 2003, 08:44 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 1,832

My last headshot was on a courier who the group did not want to destroy the chip she was carrying. It was with a Pepper-Punch Capsule round, so very nonlethal. Nonetheless, it did the job, giving the courier a Deadly Stun contusion (and Light Physical rash from the Pepper Punch.)

Prior, I've done called shots to shoot the pistol out of a guard's hand, headshot to get rid of the leader of a gang (who had just prior shot me to 9 Physical boxes,) and several to avoid cover penalties (more accurately, targets seated in a car, I shot through the windows.)

[EDIT]I thought the "Bypass Armor" rules were a) chemicals only, and b) did not stage up damage. The net result remains the same with Flechette, so I'm not trying to negate what you're saying: Unarmored = +1 DL for Flechette, if you allow it for anything other than chemicals.[/edit]

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Nov 26 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Mostly Harmless

Do problems arise when using the standard Called Shot rules?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. But what I consider a problem, you seem to consider acceptable "abstractness". Opinions are lovely things, aren't they?

Do problems arise when using the silly house ruled Called Shots that ignore armor?

If by "problems" you mean characters dying when they get shot in the head, I would assume that it is somewhat constant. Or at least should be. But that kind of thing tends to happen when people really get shot in the head, doesn't it?

How broken! How munchkin! *yawn*

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 26 2003, 08:50 PM
Post #10

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I think there's a distinct difference between a called shot to avoid cover (that's technically not a called shot, its covered under the rules for 'cover'. Thats why there's that modifier to hit and all when you can't see most of the target.) using chemicals (covered in the rules specifically), shooting for a specific effect (kind of covered in the rules under shooting out wheels, but still a very different thing) and ignoring armor. All of those I'd say are perfectly fine EXCEPT for the last 1 with the current set of rules. The only question I'd ask about the gang leader is, did your called shot ignore armor? If so, the GM let you break the rules. Every other case, except perhaps for shooting the gun out of the hand, are perfectly legit.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Raygun @ Nov 26 2003, 02:49 PM)
Do problems arise when using the standard Called Shot rules?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. But what I consider a problem, you seem to consider acceptable "abstractness". Opinions are lovely things, aren't they?

Do problems arise when using the silly house ruled Called Shots that ignore armor?

If by "problems" you mean characters dying when they get shot in the head, I would assume that it is somewhat constant. Or at least should be. But that kind of thing tends to happen when people really get shot in the head, doesn't it?

How broken! How munchkin! *yawn*

Nice try.

By "problem" you know full well what I mean -- such as posts like the original one of this thread -- though it is your standard operating proceudre to act ignorant in a futile attempt to prove your utter lack of a valid point. So no shock there.

But feel free to go back to your "look how realistic my game is! <hair twirl>" gaming and have a blast with it. I couldn't care less. But when people come here and complain how such a silly house rule is a problem then you act like it's not despite the fact that it obviously is (again, see first post), well... no further comment.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 26 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Yay! I'm admirable!

The last called shot in my ongoing game was... The invisible street sammy blowing out the brains of an unarmored, baseball bat wielding troll at 5 meters. No NPC so far has called a shot, but then the toughest NPCs they've faced in combat were average sec guards in CQB.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Nov 26 2003, 09:45 PM
Post #13

Mostly Harmless

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Nice try.

Thanks. :)

By "problem" you know full well what I mean -- such as posts like the original one of this thread -- though it is your standard operating proceudre to act ignorant in a futile attempt to prove your utter lack of a valid point. So no shock there.

So his players are ignoring armor by shooting people in the head. (At least, that's what we're assuming at this point.) So what? The fact that he (and you, for that matter) can't figure out a way to deal with that variable seems like a bigger problem to me. Maybe he should keep his players from SHOOTING so much. Guns are loud. Cops/sec guards are abundant. Punishment is severe. Hiding bodies is a bitch. Shooting people is largely counterproductive. So you make the players want to avoid shooting at all. Amazing. Of course, there goes your John Woo bloodbath. *snap*

As for the jab at the validity of my point, I don't think you get in such a twist about it if it weren't valid.

But feel free to go back to your "look how realistic my game is! <hair twirl>" gaming and have a blast with it. I couldn't care less.

Funny. Looks like you care quite a bit to me. But I will certainly go on playing the game my way, as I have more fun with it that way. Likewise, you go on with the more abstract rules and enjoy yourself.

But when people come here and complain how such a silly house rule is a problem then you act like it's not despite the fact that it obviously is (again, see first post), well... no further comment.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but there's usually more than one answer to a problem, Funk. Perhaps you should try to figure out a way to solve it with this variable rather than removing the variable entirely for the sake of ease and the comfort of routine.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 09:58 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Why? It's a broken variable that adds nothing to the game. The standard rule works perfectly well for anyone with a half a wit of creativity in them and who realizes that a Deadly wound created by a standard Called Shot can be a head shot or anything else you want to describe it as. Anything else results in a glancing blow, a non-fatal headshot, or whatever else you feel like describing it as in regards to the shooter's intent. It in no way diminishes the fact that in Shadowrun, unlike D&D and many other games, the defender is bobbing around and weaving, meaning you don't necessarily hit what you're aiming at. It in no way ruins the abstract nature of armor. It in no way makes the Ares Viper Slivergun the ultimate sidearm. etc.

I have no problem modifying decent rules to make them work better for myself and my group, but this is not one of them. It's an artificial, outside rule that's horribly, horribly broken and easily prone to abuse without even really trying or even intending to do so.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Nov 26 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #15

Mostly Harmless

This is a hopeless waste of my time. Congrats, Funk. Tenacity = correctness.

+Quote Post
Saintgrimm
post Nov 26 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 5,494

To me, it did not look like the starting post was a whine. It merely asked your opinions on headshots on the PC's. He stated that he and his PCs have an unspoken agreement. They seem to be dealing rather well with it.

It's their houserule. If it works for them. Great.

As for me, and head shots. I rarely use a headshot, as many of my characters tend to be Non-lethal in nature. But I suppose, were I playing a PC, and I used them, I might expect retribution... or perhaps just a bad rep as a messy worker. Leave too many bodies, and no one likes you.

As a GM, I only use the hand of God routine...i.e. Sniper's, C-12, etc...when a point must be made. A big point. I try to compensate the player I do it to with some extra Karma/Cash so he can make a runner of close to the same power level. This is a very rare event, as most of the PC's either kill themselves off through stupid actions, or become very good, and learn not to piss off the wrong people.

Speaking of the Sniper Scenario. It used to be a favorite of mine that a sniper would hunt a group. And each time he shot he'd hit a different body part, working his way to the head. So, he might shoot PC 1 in the right leg. Two days later, they still haven't figured it out. He shoots PC 2 in the left leg. On and on. It was a good scenario. Scared the crap out of them until they figured out who he was and turned the tables on him. His target had been a Sniper on the SR team. Sort of a Sniper war.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 26 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Raygun)
This is a hopeless waste of my time. Congrats, Funk. Tenacity = correctness.

Considering you were the one to wander in here and roll your eyes at me without adding even a modicum of worthwhile text to the thread, you're one to talk. But of course it's okay for you to post exhaustively, but heaven forbid someone with an opposing view does the same, right? Of course.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 27 2003, 12:21 AM
Post #18

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Ok, ok, ok. Enough already.

The SR3 book doesn't describe any option to allow Called Shots to bypass armor.

Cannon Companion allows an optional Advanced Melee rule that allows a Called Melee attack to only use armor in the targeted location. (CC p. 85)

Man and Machine rules for Cyber Limbs uses average Cyberware Armor (Body Plating) ratings across all 5 areas for normal shots, but for shots called to a specific location uses only the rating at that location. (M&M p. 35)

Man and Machine rules for ranged combat attacks where a drug is part of what is being delivered let a Called Shot only use impact armor in the targeted location. (M&M p. 106)

The Shadowrun FAQ extends the Called Shot rules of SR3 to let the shooter choose to raise damage level by 1 or to bypass armor.

Many disagree with some of these rules. We should all agree that these rules are there, and simply argue over whether we think GMs should include them, ignore them, or modify them for their games.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 27 2003, 12:50 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

hey, funk, did a headshot kill your first and only love, or something? because if not, stop being such a dick about it.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 27 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (mfb)
hey, funk, did a headshot kill your first and only love, or something? because if not, stop being such a dick about it.

"*sigh* *bites tongue*" --Raygun

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 27 2003, 12:59 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

good boy.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Nov 27 2003, 02:04 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I do have to agree with Doc Wookie Cubed though. The new FAQ ruling is totally insane when applied to a canon game as-is. I also does turn a Slivergun into the Ultimate Firearm.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Nov 27 2003, 02:39 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Wow. Jesus Wow. I just read the FAQ. Jesus holy wow. That's one rule not in my game!

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Nov 27 2003, 03:03 AM
Post #24

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Good for you! It is smart to examine the rule, and to decide for yourself whether it makes sense to use in your game.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 27 2003, 03:49 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

indeed. i like the part where you can completely ignore full-body milspec armor with a called shot. it's dripping with the crazy. mmmm, crazy.

once it includes a caveat that the targeted location must actually be unarmored, the FAQ ruling will please me fairly completely.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.