Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fantasy, shadows in the medieval.
shadowfire
post Nov 25 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,447

I would have to say that shadowrun is one of the better systems out there. (this does not include 4th.) I wish, though, that they had taken these great rules and did a fantasy game with them. FASA did make earthdawn originally, from what i understand, but it uses a different engine.

what does everyone else think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 25 2007, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Some of the basic tenets of Shadowrun have difficulty getting carried over, for instance the initiative/combat pool situation becomes a good deal more awkward. However, I made a derivative of Shadowrun which I use for any game where I don't like the existing dice mechanics (which is basically all of them), fantasy or otherwise.

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Nov 25 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

i really don't see how the init./combat pool situation would be awkward. could you explain? What i mean is that from what i see in the rules init. is pretty standard, except in shadowrun it follows a chain of order thats different than other systems, but i don't see how that would be awkward in a fantasy game. As for the combat pool. All this does is help the player character to dodge, resist damage, and attack.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 25 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Suppose you have two gunfights. In Shadowrun, you can expect two skilled gunfighters to have at least two, probably three passes before their combat pool refreshes. When they're firing back and forth, each character has to anticipate, is this the best shot I'll likely encounter before my pool refreshes? The worst? Should I try to soak this one in anticipation that he'll do better on the next one? If I shoot with my pool this turn, if my shot doesn't turn out right, he'll have lots of combat pool while I have little or none, and so can focus on making better shots against me, so I should save my pool until later...

In a situation where you no one has cyberware and most people don't have magical initiative boosting, the question becomes simply, if you're first, "will my combat pool more likely cause significantly more wounding, or is it better to save it for dodging?" The second person has it a little easier, "do I use my combat pool for dodging this attack, or for my follow-up attack?"

It's a lot like how combat pool works with melee combat now, you put it all in the first attack. With conservative GMs like me, where the NPCs generally save combat pool for dodging, it's a lot of "you miss" "you miss"... Pretty boring.

It gets marginally more interesting with more opponents, in that two opponents can generally wear one down relatively quickly and the third can go for the kill, but not by much.

In these situations I've found the easiest method is to reduce or eliminate combat pool, or double the time until combat pool refreshes.

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Nov 25 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

i think that cyberware would be replaced with magic items that do the same augmentation for the user or herbs or other such things..

but if it was really a problem i would say changing the formula that is used to calculate combat pool.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Nov 25 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #6

You didn't specify that :P But it is something to watch out for.

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Nov 25 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

true.

This has me thinking now, so heres an idea.
Lets take the famous Elric kinslayer's sword "stormbringer". its been some time since i read the series but if i recall correctly the rune sword gave elric some increased abilities. So in a shadowrun sense the sword gave him +1D6 to Init. roll, After eating a soul the sword also gives the user an increase to reaction. I'm sure there could be other things that happened as well be i don't remember it all that clearly.

Or lets take another famous Eternal Champion, Corum Jhaelen Irsei. This character was augmented not by cyberware but by the melding of his flesh and the flesh of supernatural creatures. One such creature was the man of the sea (i think that was his name) who was a god in his world or close to it.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Nov 25 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

Fantasy, shadows in the medieval.

I find this highly amusing, since Fantasy and medieval are two diffrent things altogether. In Fantasy you are a social misfit wandering the landscape, breaking into towers, killing their residents (who have been declared evil before) and than take their stuff. In medieval your a poor slob and are busy beeing dirty, hungry and sick.

But apart from that little distinction...

Shadowrun rules are deadly. In Fantasy you slaughter your way throught hordes of lesser enemies and from time to time you face single opponents so powerful mortal armies can't best them. That is simply not possible with a 10-box damagetrack.

And yes, I tried. For the lulz.

Sometimes the-game-we-never-speek-of-on-this-board has it's merits, hasn't it? :spin:

If you're not in planning to run a heroic, ass-wooping game, then of course you could use SR. But that would be so WoD Dark Age, ie Bad. With capital B. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Smilin_Jack
post Nov 25 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,521

I'm currently running a Forgotten Realms campaign using the SR4 ruleset.

The SR4 Magic system absolutely rocks for differentiating the different religions, especially when the mentor spirits are reworked to allow differing bonuses to mages/mystic adepts/adepts. Geas: Mentor, really works wonders in bringing across the feeling of a devoted follower.

Cyberware was a headache until I decided on the following:

1. All bonuses/effects available from cyberware is now available as an "enchantment" on regular gear (ie... Breastplate of Speed = Wired Reflexes 2).

2. Decreases to essence from cyberware have been eliminated.

3. Magic decreases from reduction in essence are now directly applied to the magic stat as a temporary penalty instead - the magical aura's of the items interfere with your connection to the flows of mana.

4. Magic Items cost karma to bond, and are available to all characters.

5. Icons and Protection charms are available that protect against magic.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Nov 25 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

QUOTE (shadowfire)
I would have to say that shadowrun is one of the better systems out there. (this does not include 4th.) I wish, though, that they had taken these great rules and did a fantasy game with them. FASA did make earthdawn originally, from what i understand, but it uses a different engine.

what does everyone else think?

I did the same thing, although I never ran it seriously. This was back in SR2, so the main thing I did was split up Armed Combat into its various weapon types and up drain codes and the cost of phys ad powers. I also let mundanes bond foci, so anyone could get a magic sword. The only problem I saw was with preconceived notions-- people who bring a D&D mindset to a SR session tend to die in the first volley. ("Hey, they're only kobolds. Hey, I just took a Moderate Wound. Hey, I can't hit anything with my sword. Hey, I'm dead.")

The thing I like about the SR2-3 system (I don't know enough about SR4 to comment) is that I can take any given movie, stat it out and it works. 300, to pick an example out of a hat. You've got guys with no armor and no magic items, just shields, swords and skill. In SR, that can work. High combat pool for the dodge tests, high skill ratings to win in the melee opposed test, that can work. In D&D, they'd be getting hit every round (a 20th level guy in his underwear has about the same AC as a 1st level guy). The 13th Warrior is another good example. I remember watching it the first time, when the guys are sneaking into the cave, and thinking, "That could work. In Shadowrun."

Two other SR variants that I think would work pretty well are Wild West and Star Wars. The Wild West thing is a natch, quickdraws would be reaction tests, and the system is brutal enough to stand in for any Peckinpah film. Star Wars was something a friend of mine pointed out; all the Jedi Powers are in the system as spells or phys ad powers, you have the cyberware/essence thing, Wookies are orks, its all right there. (We never statted out light sabers, although odds are they'd be pretty close to monowhips now that I think about it-- miss and you might cut your own head off.)

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Nov 26 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Malicant)

I find this highly amusing, since Fantasy and medieval are two different things altogether. In Fantasy you are a social misfit wandering the landscape, breaking into towers, killing their residents (who have been declared evil before) and than take their stuff. In medieval your a poor slob and are busy being dirty, hungry and sick.

i find your description amusing as far as what fantasy games are like.. You played D&D a lot didn't you..

As far as the damage tables not working i would have to agree with Mercer. deadly to the type of people i hate gaming with. Ones that don't think.

i think its unrealistic to think that a fantasy game should be all about slaughtering your way through hoards of people who are under skilled until you meet the one or two bad guys that are your equal or better.
i think that the hoards of people who work for the bad guy are people just as skilled as the heroes.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Nov 26 2007, 01:55 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

QUOTE (shadowfire)
i think its unrealistic to think that a fantasy game should be all about slaughtering your way through hoards of people who are under skilled until you meet the one or two bad guys that are your equal or better.

I've played in SR games that were not wholly unlike this.

In my D&D group, there's a lot of talk about the "sweet spot". Those levels where the game does basically what you want it to do, and not so much of what you don't want it to do. We all define the sweet spot a little differently, although it tends to fall between 3rd-10th level. Past 10th the game tends to be more work than we're willing to devote to it, below 3rd and every character is a crit away from dying, but in the middle the characters tend to be capable but not uber, and the games tend to most closely resemble their literary and cinematic counterparts. Even regular joes (relatively low CR) in the right circumstance can be threatening to the heroes, but the pc's are burly enough to handle big, showy encounters with big, dangerous monsters.

In SR, the sweet spot is pretty much the whole game. Characters can be built to survive the game right from the start (e.g. no mages with 4 hp), but tend to be vulnerable even after being played for a long time. Schmoes and mooks can be threatening to even experienced shadowrunners (like one of my proudest moments when two regular, non-cybered beat cops took down a 100-karma Grade 1 phys ad using a combination of flashpacks, pepper spray, tasers, reach and outnumbering, basically out-stripping the TN penalties until the PA needed 10's and they needed 2's and his 18 dice couldn't beat their 4), but at the same time characters can take out enemies above their own level (like when that same phys ad dropped a Grade 4 Initiate before the poor dumb bastard even got an action). Tactics play a much larger role, wounds hurt, and death is final.

Which is not to preach to the converted, its just to point out that SR being a (vastly) superior system avoids a lot of the balance-issues of other (lesser) games. This is not to say that I don't enjoy D&D; once you accept its limitations the game is pretty good at what it does. D&D is like dating a stripper, you just enjoy it for what it is, you don't get mad that your bedsheets end up covered in cocoa butter and body glitter.

Edit: For another example of a Medieval Fantasy game that breaks the D&D mold, take a look at Vampire: The Dark Ages, or the Mage game that was set in the Renissance. One of my favorite vampire games that I ran (of like, the three) was a Dark Ages game. Its been my experience that most games port into fantasy better than D&D ports out of it (but I've never been a big fan of the d20 variants or their ancestors, so my perception here is admittedly skewed).

+Quote Post
shadowfire
post Nov 26 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

ya, i have seen many of the old SR adventure and some of them are written for the type of people who don't think and just rush in full tilt and shoot everything.

its one of my favorite aspects to the SR system is the fact that you can die by the hands of a untrained unknown who got lucky.. It makes the whole journey more exiting.. more realistic even. But i'm more of a story person. a meat and potatoes person. I hate when people think that the climax of the game is combat.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Nov 26 2007, 02:23 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

i find your description amusing as far as what fantasy games are like.. You played D&D a lot didn't you..

More Earthdawn and Star Wars. Still Fantasy. 100% medieval free :)

+Quote Post
Roadspike
post Nov 26 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 389

QUOTE (Mercer)
D&D is like dating a stripper, you just enjoy it for what it is, you don't get mad that your bedsheets end up covered in cocoa butter and body glitter.

You, sir, have won the Internet.

On another side-note, I agree that levels 3-10 (I sometimes go up to 12) are the most entertaining levels in D&D.

And now, on to the actual Original Topic (I do like to fit that in somewhere...). I haven't actually tried using any of the SR systems for fantasy, but I have used them for a campaign set in the Aliens universe, and a campaign set in the World War Z universe. In both cases, initiative and combat pool seemed a little wonky, since most everyone got 1 pass (or 2 at the most). This meant that Combat Pool was really limited by skill level rather than any sort of tactical choice by the player. That wasn't bad, it was just a little wonky. Adding Cyberware and Magic back into the system (yes, I removed them both entirely in both of those campaigns) would correct that wonkiness.

In the end though, D&D and other games were designed with a fantasy world in mind. SR was designed with a combination of fantasy and cyberpunk/post-modernism/sci-fi (depending on the edition) in mind. Why not use the product designed for use in a fantasy setting?

To answer my own question, I would say that it comes down to what type of campaign you want. If you want a game where your players/their characters have to weigh their actions carefully and can be taken down by any old goon with a little luck, use SR. If you want a game where you players/their characters can go wading into a mass of kobolds and shred them with their glory, use D&D. Just don't blame me for the body glitter on your sheets.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Nov 27 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

I've used SR2 as the mechanics for a Mage game; I hated the oWoD mechanics and was particularly displeased with 1st ed Mage's contradictions between flavor text and mechanics. It worked pretty well but it was a group of casters.

Honestly I find SR's sweet spot to be pretty shallow, generally lasting less than a year or two of constant play. d20 has a wider range, but it requires a more flexible GM to handle the constantly changing boundaries of power. I dislike WoD in general so no opinion worth carping on. I'd say Earthdawn has the greatest span of any game system but it comes at the cost of a steep learning curve.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.