Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any good fixes for cyberlimbs?
Black Irish
post Nov 28 2007, 04:37 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,963

I'm sure this topic's come up in the past, but as newcomer to the board I was interested if anyone has come up with a better set of rules for cyberlimbs than the ones in M&M? My impression is that they're generally too expensive, too Essence-unfriendly and plain subpar compared to meat-and-bioware to mess with except for the cool factor (or a gyromount arm). $100,000+ just doesn't seem worth it, even when packing smartlinks, spurs and shock hands in to take advantage of the Essence freebies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 28 2007, 04:41 AM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Our approach has been halve the Essence, quarter the Nuyen cost, IIRC. More in the morning.

~J

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 28 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

we basically allways more or less house-ruled limbs in 3rd as they are in 4th with augmentation . . you get limbs according to your meat body stats and you have a little bit more of capacity to put things in . . namely as much as you want, as long as you do not go overboard and add gyromounts into your legs or foot anchors into your arms or anything like that . . but you still pay the usual money and essence cost . .
so you can buy your arm, put in smartlink, spur, handblades, nail-razors, climbing claws, magnetic system, gyromount, basic pocket secretary, personal comm unit, and so on and so on and so on if you put in one DNI to route all of that into your brain.
you still pay at least 1 essence and one heck-load of money, but your arm actually gets usefull after a certain ammount of money was put in *g*

+Quote Post
Black Irish
post Nov 29 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 13,963

QUOTE (Stahlseele)
" ... you get limbs according to your meat body stats ..."

That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Set the base Strength and Quickness same as meat, then they can pay for anything better. Not great, but better.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 29 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #5

The ShadowComedian

is the best way to do things in my eyes.
so you don't have a body that is too weak to actually support the limb and you don't have a limb that would be actually too weak to support the body.
the strength/lifting and holding thing is a real bitch with that, as a troll would never be able to hang onto something by gripping on to it, if i remember correctly.
because he weights 200 to 300 kilo and his maximum str of 15 or 16 says he can hold STR+x5(90 kilo) without suffering stun damage and a maximum of STR x 20 for body combat turns means he can get up to 300 kilo and gets a serious stun wound for that. so if he got cyber legs, they would have to be at least str of 15 to support him for longer time and he'd still get hit with a serious stun damage every other time, if one were to only use the rules as written.

That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. Set the base Strength and Quickness same as meat, then they can pay for anything better. Not great, but better.

with those rules a troll can actually go to the extreme strength range of buying his str up to 15 with bioware and then getting a cyberlimb with STR15 installed and buying it up to STR 18 or higher, if desired. with a base body strength of 16 you'd actually be able to get the 3rd point of recoil compensation by means of strength, if you are willing to buy the arm and then up the strength by +6 for another 375k and 1,2 Essence . . not saying that i would, but you could *g*

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Nov 29 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Current house rules we run with are:
Halve the base cost for the limbs.
Halve all increase stat costs.
Need a cybertors for increase stats four up.
No matter grade same ECU as basic limb.
Limb acts like plastic bone lacing for unarmed combat in addition to any body increases.
We also have red lining rules inspired by SR4.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 29 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Stahlseele)

because he weights 200 to 300 kilo and his maximum str of 15 or 16 says he can hold STR+x5(90 kilo) without suffering stun damage and a maximum of STR x 20 for body combat turns means he can get up to 300 kilo and gets a serious stun wound for that. so if he got cyber legs, they would have to be at least str of 15 to support him for longer time and he'd still get hit with a serious stun damage every other time, if one were to only use the rules as written.

You do realize this is also true for all other metahumans? It's best to handwave the whole "carrying" issue unless you really want to do serious work.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 29 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

yes, i realilize that, i just like to point it out ^^

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 29 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #9

Manus Celer Dei

It should be noted that a metahuman's own body mass is exempted from the carrying rules, so you should probably stop pointing it out :P ;)

~J

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 29 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

so a str3 cyber-arm on a 300 kilo troll could support the bodyweight just fine, but he could not lift something else that weights 300 kilos ? O.o

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 29 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Correct. If you want to be the one to open the can of worms of accounting for body mass, especially considering there aren't any rules enforcing characters having particular masses, be my guest—I'm staying well away.

~J

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 29 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #12

The ShadowComedian

i ain't opening no can <.< . . we're house-ruling limbs as we see fit ^^

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.