IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A rework for Nanohives., New, improved, and more sensical.
Karaden
post Dec 4 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,397

Something that has been bugging me for a while is how the Nanohive works, or more specifically its cost, particularly in essence.

So what I've done is come up with a rework of the Nanohive that makes more sense based on my personal views and some stuff that I've seen others discussing on the boards. Please note that the costs for the Nanohive is going to be a bit confusing/extensive, but I think it makes it a good deal better.

The spoiler part is what would appear in the book if it was being redone.

[ Spoiler ]

Now for a few explenations, I made the .5 essence a one time payment because of the flavor text in the original that seemed to indicate that it was ment as such. I also allowed this to increase the time of decay of all nanites, since this seemed to make a lot of sense given that the point of the organ modifications was to decrease overall wear on nanites period, not just the ones being cared for. I also dropped the essence cost of each rating because the .25/rating seemed very high compared to a flat 2 capacity for a cyberlimb. For .25 essence and 5,000 nuyen it was easy to get an obvious cyberfoot (which no one would ever see through shoes.) and be able to fit two Nanohives of any rating you wanted, thus being able to get 4 essence worth of cyberware at .25 essence and an extra 5,000 nuyen. This is also what prompted me to increase the capacity cost for any Nanohives beyond the first, that and a comment by some people mentioning that the hive is odd in the cyberlimb since it requires direct access to the meat and blood through which nanties move.

So, feel free to share your comments and ideas on what I have come up with. Hopefully this makes Nanohives a bit more practical without getting random cyberlimbs purely to get Nanohives without massive essence drain.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Dec 4 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

.5 essence 5000 :nuyen: implant has far to much of it's cost in essence. Go look at the price tags on other .5 essence mods. Also you leave in the most objectionable mechanic that allows for 2 rating 2 nanohives in said obvious cyber-foot. All though I'm not sure who would spend the money and essence for 4 nano-colonies besides some one who intends to spend years in pockets of apocalypticly polluted zones.

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 4 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

QUOTE (WeaverMount @ Dec 4 2007, 04:30 PM)
.5 essence 5000 :nuyen: implant has far to much of it's cost in essence. Go look at the price tags on other .5 essence mods. Also you leave in the most objectionable mechanic that allows for 2 rating 2 nanohives in said obvious cyber-foot. All though I'm not sure who would spend the money and essence for 4 nano-colonies besides some one who intends to spend years in pockets of apocalypticly polluted zones.

Actually I did make the an adjustment to stop the cyberfoot holding two hives, that being that each hive beyond the first takes 1 extra capasity, so two hives would require 5 capasity total, which a foot doesn't have. 3 would require 9 capacity.

Also, I know that .5 essence is high compared to a megar 5000 :nuyen: but if you look at the original nanohive, it is 10,000 :nuyen: and .75 essence for a rating one hive, which is nearly as bad.

Oh, and 4 essence worth is only two hives at rating 6, which is twelve colonies, which is still alot, but my adjustments do at least lower that greatly, as well as increase the cost for someone just using limbs.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Dec 4 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #4

Running Target

I may well have missed your intent but
I read
The second part is the hive itself, this takes up either .1 essence per rating, or a flat 2 capacity in any cyberlimb, as well as 10k per rating in either case.

as a meaning "a flat 2 capacity"

[Edit] = I missed you second bit sorry

That said If you have more than one cyber limb you can still dodge that

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 5 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

True, you could easily get two cyberfeet and stick a nanohive in both of them, but at least your getting closer to the essence cost of doing it the normal way. I suppose part of the reason this is so hard to work out is that this is one of the few (if only) things that has a variable rating (and variable essence in that rating) that can also go into a cyberlimb.

I'd personally be compleatly ok with taking out the use of it in cyberlimbs at all, but I figured I'd at least keep that option around since it was in the main book. The other option is a variable capacity based on the rating, but I don't think other things do that.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Dec 5 2007, 01:03 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Stats enhancements and hydrolics have a capacity based on rating so I think you would be safe doing that if you want to. Also remember that that nanites they have write so far mostly medical/health related or only work in downtime. Making them cost a lot would mean your players would never get them. That is ok though, not all tech is for runners

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Dec 5 2007, 01:07 AM
Post #7

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Uhm, the nanite filtration implant in SR3 was only .3 Essence.

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 6 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Ok, done a bit of tweeking, here is the new entry..

[ Spoiler ]

I realise that some people may still dislike the 5,000 :nuyen: to .5 essence for the basic part, but that is what the book has it as, being something that is fairly cheap but makes some serious adjustments to the body. I mean by the book rules a rating two nanohive would cost you 20,000 :nuyen: and a full essence. Also keep in mind that the hive is utterly useless without some nanites to put in it, so you can consider those and the hive to be one thing, having a cost of .5 essence, 5,000 :nuyen: -and- the cost of the nanites, which makes the ratio of money to essence much more within the norm.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 6 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I just use the Hive pretty much as written, but rule that even if implanted in a cyberlimb, the kidney modifications still mean that the hive will cost the base amount of Essence (0.5).

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 6 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

But my problem with that is that it is -way- more effective to get the hive installed in a cyberlimb if you rule it that way. As I said earlier, you could get a cyberfoot for .25 essence and 5k :nuyen: and then put 2 rating 6 hives in there for another .5 essence -or- you can get it the natural way, and 2 rating 6 hives would cost you 3.5 essence. I hardly think 5k :nuyen: is anything at all compared to saving yourself 2.75 essence.

My rework is mostly geared towards evening out that discrepancy right there. I can't imagine anyone at all that wouldn't get the foot or hand or something over having to pay that huge amount of essence.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 6 2007, 10:37 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

It's way more effective to get anything implanted in a cyberlimb. That is one of the primary advantages of a cyberlimb.

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 6 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Maybe, but that seems like too large of a difference. I'll look at some of the other stuff that can do both and check, but I'm sure it is nothing close to a 2.75 essence difference, or as the book would have it a 3.75 difference.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.