Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Projection as a Metapower, A houserule for you to hate and deride
Mercer
post Dec 6 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,600

As a GM (and as a player), I like mysteries. One of the things that made SR tough in that respect was that most starting mages could get tons of successes on a regular TN4 Assensing Test, and project pretty much anywhere to do it. Its not unbalancing because its the way the system is designed, but it became a pain in the ass to always have a background count or a ward or something in the way (lead sheet) to keep the mystery going past the first encounter. There are lots of tricks one can use, having the Johnson telecommute to the meet, have initiates with masking, but essentially what I was looking for was a modification to the system that allowed regular schmoes to get away with stuff from time to time.

What I settled on, after discussing it with my players and fellow GMs (at that point, we had a 3 regular GMs and a couple of back-up one-shotters, truly it was a golden age of gaming) was to split up Astral Perception and Astral Projection. Projection became a Metapower, and Astral Perception was renamed Astral Awareness, which had a base TN of 6 rather than 4. Once you got Projection, assensing dropped to TN4, the same as it was for spirits and dual-natured creatures. Astral Awareness wasn't sight based, but rather a sense of auras (although you could still cast into the astral with it; it counted as LOS for magic it just wasn't eye-based).

I ran my last two years of SR3 using this rule mod, and I was pretty happy with it. I never had a initiate take projection as a metapower (but then I can't think of a character who took anything other than Masking, Shielding or Anchoring, and we didn't have enough high level initiates to matter). Once Projection was gone, nobody really missed it that much. I think we may have made Ritual Sorcery work a little differently, but I can't remember. This was a few years ago and Ritual Sorcery wasn't a huge part of our games. (I think you only needed the astral spotter if you wanted to track the target, otherwise if you forged a link you could ritual cast as normal. Been awhile.)

With a TN6 for assessing, most characters who were good at it could get 1 or 2 successes rather than the usual 4+, and if it was important to them (i.e. they wanted to spend a karma point on it) they could push it to 3 or 4. This was also the same rule I used in my WWIISR game, which was a lower magic and tech level overall.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 6 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Mercer)
There are lots of tricks one can use, having the Johnson telecommute to the meet...

How about just giving them the information that Assensing offes and not fucking the players around? I mean seriously, they get themselves an accessory skill and the standard Player Character Intelligence of 6+ and they just plain get the 5+ successes on a TN4 Assensing Test. So what?

You are the proud owner of the information: The subject's exact emotional state or impression; and the general cause of any emotional impression. Whoopty-frickin-do!

Let's take a step back. The Johnson goes to the meet. The Runners assense him mightily. They discover that he is smug and faintly anticipatory. You also discover that the Johnson isn't being completely straight with you. OK. Now what? Are you going to refuse the job because of that? He's a Johnson, he's not being straight with you right off the bat because his name isn't really Johnson.

Johnsons can just get assensed. Frankly, so can most other characters even in the midst of a heated murder investigation. The information you get out of Astal Perception just isn't that useful. When we crack open the SR3 manual to page 172 (or the SR4 Manual to page 183) we find that the information you get about people is really just not that exciting.

Unless you're specifically looking for deadly viruses, powerful mages, or cyberware. That shit stands out and is specifically visible in a very immediate way.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 7 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Running Target

So, basically you can either make it so that its more difficult to get useful information, or you can make it so its very easy to get basically useless information?

Player 1: 5 successes, I have laid his soul bare. He's not a vampire and he dyes his hair.
Player 2: Anything else?
Player 1: Nope.
Player 2: Why the fuck do you have this power again?
Player 1: Get off my ass, its free.

Personally, as player, I'd rather roll against a TN6 and have a chance of getting useful information, than roll against a TN4 and having the results be largely meaningless. Because letting the pcs max out their roll and then telling them, "Mr. Johnson may be lying about his name. Suckers!" is in no way fucking them around. (If the top result of assensing is in your words, "Whoopty-frickin-do", why would the players waste points on the skill, or bother with the roll? At least with my version, they get something out of it.)

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 7 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

But Assensing does give you useful information. It gives you useful information about magical effects, and about cyberware and diseases. That's what it does. It doesn't give you fucking telepathy. It doesn't tell you who is an enemy and who is a friend. It doesn't solve mysteries unless that mystery is "what manner of sorcery is this?" or "what has befallen our king?" In short, if it's a mystery that would interest Conan then Astral Perception is pretty cool.

For the mystery "Who shot the Senior Vice President" or the mystery "Why isn't this code compiling properly?" Astral Perception really isn't the right tool for the job. And if you're a Johnson and you intend to hire a bunch of shady mercenaries to do dubious work for substantially less money than the covert ops are worth to your employers - then the mystery of "What is the Johnson holding back?" or the mystery "How much would the Johnson actually be willing to spend on this mission?" isn't something that Astral Perception will help you with.

Basically it seems you're latching onto a complete non-problem. Imagine for a moment that people were taking their vision enhancement and wanting to "see" the Johnson so hard that they invalidated the adventure. Would your response be to hide the Johnson on the other end of a phone line? Would your response be to crank up the TN on visual perception tests until normal people couldn't make them anymore? Or would your response to be to give the player some actual visual clues as foreshadowing to the adventure and move on with your life?

Astral Perception is great. You can use it to locate enemies in buildings that aren't warded. You can use it to pick cyberassassins out of a crowd. You can use it to play "spot the Insect Merge". It's very versatile. But it doesn't fucking tell you what people are thinking, it never has, and there's no reason why it ever would. It's simply not in the job description.

-Frank

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Dec 7 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

The game I'm playing in now is, I think, the first game I've been a part of that hasn't drastically overpowered astral perception. Before, it seemed like thugs could never really hide, because the mage was always out there astrally projecting through the whole building. We'd get sentences coming out of the mouth of whoever was playing the mage like "I astrally project and scout out the building; is there anyone inside, and if so, where?"

Now that I'm playing the shaman (isn't that the way it always works?) we've been paying a lot more respect to physical barriers on the astral plane. Yes, it's a wall. Yes, you can walk straight through it astrally. But you have to. You can't just see through the walls and automatically get an idea of everything in the building. Sucks that we were playing wrong for so long (and yes, we actually found a way to be playing wrong, because we all felt astral projection was way overpowered), but it's nice now that as a shaman, I still have to creep around through the astral and cautiously poke my head through walls. Granted, it's not as dangerous as if I were crawling around on the physical poking my head through doors, but I am usually alone when I do it, and anything I encounter is likely to be capable of messing me up magically.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 7 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

Mercer, it'd help if you explained what information assensing can easily provide that is problematic. the only situation i can see assensing being a real problem in is if the Johnson (or whatever) is a magical threat of some sort, and you don't want your players to find that out yet. in which case, i'd just give the guy Masking and enough force/magic to make it stick.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 7 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Astral Perception is great. You can use it to locate enemies in buildings that aren't warded. You can use it to pick cyberassassins out of a crowd. You can use it to play "spot the Insect Merge". It's very versatile. But it doesn't fucking tell you what people are thinking, it never has, and there's no reason why it ever would. It's simply not in the job description.

Well, I split up Projection and Perception to make it two separate things, the locating the enemies in unwarded buildings from the assensing people, but everything else you mentioned-- cyberassassins, insect spirits, and so on-- you can do with my system; characters who have spent points in Aura Reading or have a good INT can hit a TN6, and you get information right out of the gate. Raising the TN wasn't to get people to stop using Perception or to make it useless, it was to make it so that the average number of successes fell somewhere on the Assensing Table rather than maxing it out all the time.

QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue)
Now that I'm playing the shaman (isn't that the way it always works?) we've been paying a lot more respect to physical barriers on the astral plane. Yes, it's a wall. Yes, you can walk straight through it astrally. But you have to.

My group always ran it this way; we've never treated Astral Projection as an automatic thing. Characters had to actually go through the areas they scouted, dealing with whatever magical threats were there while getting whatever information they could. If anything, this was part of the mini-game problem with SR, where there were aspects of the game only one or two players could do, and they had to spend a certain amount of time doing it while the rest of the group sat around bored. That wasn't why I changed it (SR has so many of those mini-games, you don't really notice them), but its something we noticed that ran more smoothly.

QUOTE (mfb)
Mercer, it'd help if you explained what information assensing can easily provide that is problematic. the only situation i can see assensing being a real problem in is if the Johnson (or whatever) is a magical threat of some sort, and you don't want your players to find that out yet. in which case, i'd just give the guy Masking and enough force/magic to make it stick.

Well, the magical threats are the ones who are most resistant to assensing, simply because they have access to things like Masking, wards, and spirits sitting in the astral space waiting to hit people who assense them. (Magical Threats also tend to have Assensing, meaning they needed a TN6 to get useful information on the party. It went both ways.) But it wasn't like I felt I had to keep the pc's from wrecking my runs. I like it when pc's wreck runs, its much more interesting. (If I already know how the run is going to go, what do I need the pc's for?) And I don't mind a maxed out Assensing roll being able to throw a monkey-wrench in a Johnson's plans-- Johnson's are a tricky bunch giving them an astral colonoscopy should monkey-wrench them from time to time, I just felt that maxing out the roll was too easy. The challenge/reward ratio was skewed, why have a test cap out at 5 successes if 5 successes is something that you can reliably hit, and its not unusual for characters to get more? Why not make the upper end of the test something to strive for, whether by raising the Threshold or the TN. (I picked raising the TN because it was less work, I didn't have to rewrite the table.)

Its possible this fix was ideal for my group because we tended to be more magic-heavy than the norm (although, since groups play largely in isolation, I'm not sure how useful the concept of a "norm" is). What made me think of raising the TN was that in order for there to be any suspense at all in the level of info an Assensing test provided, you had to raise the TN with background count or give the target powers based specifically around thwarting Perception. It felt like the original mechanic was too easy, and that more mechanics had to be introduced to make it balanced. From that perspective, it made sense to me to raise the TN.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 8 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner

I think we need to have a discussion about expected dice pools. You have an 80% chance of getting at least 5 successes on twelve dice. Where are all these dice coming from?

-Frank

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 8 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,397

He's talking about SR3 with a Target number of four, meaning that roughly half the dice will get a hit, thus netting you five hits with 10 dice fairly regularly.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Dec 8 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Karaden)
He's talking about SR3 with a Target number of four, meaning that roughly half the dice will get a hit, thus netting you five hits with 10 dice fairly regularly.

I am aware. That's why I gave him 80% chance at 12 dice. 10 dice is also non-trivial, as the maximum of both Intelligence and Psychometry are 6 for starting characters. But in any case, while the average is 5 on 10 dice, you only actually get that result or better 62% of the time. That's little better than a coin flip for something which is that substantially outside the normal character range. Hardly something which is "reliably" hit.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 8 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,397

Well, exact percentages and odds arn't my strong suit, I just tend to know what is and isn't likely to happen.

Unfortently I was never very well versed in SR3, so I don't know how hard 10 dice was, but from what I do know, a six in an important stat wasn't unheard of, and fairly high skills where resonably common. Sure 6 and 6 is the max you could get, but from my experince it wasn't all that uncommon if it was something your character was good at.

Eh, go ahead and ignore most of that, likely don't know what I'm talking about and am kind of tired. I'm sure OP will explain the 10-12 dice pools.

P.S. I was used to decking, so I was used to bonuses from math SPU and the deck and all kinds of other stuff, so higher pools where easier for me I guess.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 8 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Dice Pools worked a little differently in SR3. INT 6 and Assensing 6 didn't add up to 12 dice. You rolled the Assensing skill and every two successes counted as a single success on the Astral Perception check. (Granted, that makes it harder to max out the roll and I'm arguing the other position, but there's no harm in being accurate.) So against a TN 4, a character with Assensing 6 might be adding 1 or 2 successes into the Perception check (he still has to generate at least one success on the attribute roll for them to count), and then if he has a INT 6, another three or four successes. So, a starting character built for Assensing would be getting 4-6 successes on the Assensing Test, which maxes out at 5.

Being "built" for Assensing really just means putting points into the Skill, everybody already had maxed or nearly maxed INTs, because it was part of Reaction and the perception mechanic. My group-- of which I spent roughly equal time playing and GMing-- tended to concentrate on magical character types, so having more than one magician per group was not unusual, and having magicians who had been played for any length of time with INTs above 6 was pretty much industry standard. Now, whether or not that was the "norm" is moot; not every group might have focused their characters in that way but mine did and systems don't just have to be balanced in theory, they have to be balanced for the group that plays them. (I mean, that's what house rules are.)

So, where a starting character who wanted to be good at assensing could max it out with an average roll, my group tended to take it to the next level where characters that had never even looked at the Assensing Table could max it out. (And this is not counting Karma, back when spending a point or two at the meet was a pretty normal thing to do, since it was likely to refresh at the end of the scene.) Now, the characters I'm talking about aren't the 400-point karma monsters occasionally mentioned; I'm talking about characters with 20-40 karma points, with the long-time characters maxing out at around 100. (Since most players had multiple characters, our games didn't have a lot of concentrated advancement. 4 was an average karma pool.) Characters that weren't "built" for Assensing (few points in the skill) were regularly maxing out the Assensing Test, which capped at 5 successes.

Raising the TN for an Assensing Test is not a hard thing to do, a Background Count of 1 makes it a TN5 and BG of 1 can be pretty easily justified anywhere. But I didn't want to raise the TN for everything magical just to make Assensing more balanced, and I didn't want to put BG's just where I knew Assensing was going on. (And by "balanced", I mean an average roll would produce an average result, say 2-3 successes, roughly the middle of the table.) My feeling was using Background Count was an inelegant patch; I preferred to keep Background Counts special and not have to inundate the party with Astral Static spells, initiates or free spirits with masking, and mundane people with less than honorable intentions who would never, ever meet in person with a magically-active character. All of that stuff was fine in small doses; the occasional paranoid Johnson who refused to be assensed, the rare initiate with masking, but I didn't want to use them all the time.

I went with a TN6, but if my group wasn't so strongly focused on magic I might have gone with a TN5. (TN4 seems too easy unless the group rarely has full magicians, has magicians with INT 4's, or the results of Assensing rarely matters on the outcome or course of the game.) TN6 meant that roughly 10% of the time the group hit the 5+ max, roughly 10% of the time got no useful information, and the rest of the time either got 1-2 or 3-4 successes. (Karma made it more likely they would succeed at the level they felt they needed to, but then, that's what karma was for.)

Again, my group had three or so regular GMs and others that ran one shots, so this wasn't just a case of a rogue GM nerfing the characters. We all had ideas for house rules, and as you can imagine, unpopular rules were hotly debated. This particular house rule was probably the most dramatic change I ever proposed, but it was also one of the smoothest. This had a lot to do with the types of runs we gravitated towards; gritty, noirish mysteries with strong mystical elements. I'd say one of my biggest influences in my games was Dashielle Hammet, another GM's was a mix of William Gibson and H.P. Lovecraft. Fogging up the Assensing mechanic just made sense in those types of games.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 9 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i think Frank has a different concept of 'reliable' than us. 5 successes, TN 4, 10 dice--that's not reliable, that's guaranteed. sure, i've only got a 62% chance, but that's 62% per roll. assensing someone takes one complex action; if i don't get 5 successes the first time, try try again. with 6 dice and 6 complimentary dice, i might be unlucky enough to have to spend as long as thirty seconds staring at someone to get 5 successes.

Mercer, it seems like your general goal is to make assensing more challenging, for no other purpose than to make it more challenging. i'm not saying that's a bad goal, i'm just trying to judge (assense, even!) your motivation. raising the TN to 6 is one way to do that. just to offer another possibility, though, have you considered adding repercussions to assensing? for instance, one thing i like about the Psychometry metamagic is that, while it can offer a lot of useful information, that information comes at a price. the more you learn, the more it hurts. i made a Psychometry specialist, once, and he nearly KO'd himself looking at a murder scene. pretty cool stuff. in a Cthuluesque world, it might not be a bad idea to add similar consequences for just regular assensing.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 9 2007, 01:34 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Mainly, I just like playing around with rules, the way some people mod their Honda Civics into street racers. (For the record, I don't really get those people.) My group tended to concentrate on awakened characters, but we rarely played up to the high karma totals-- the highest level initiate I can think of was a Grade 4, and he was an import from another game. Certain metapowers (Quickening, Shielding, and Masking) tended to be so useful that they pushed the others into the background.

I'm not currently running SR3, everything's all about the Quatro these days, but I've been going over some of my old notebooks and turning up a lot of stuff I haven't thought about in awhile. I thought about posting a few NPCs, but then I thought I'd have to explain why an Initiate was running around with Astral Projection as a metapower, and it seemed easier to start this topic first.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 9 2007, 04:22 AM
Post #15

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
I am aware. That's why I gave him 80% chance at 12 dice. 10 dice is also non-trivial, as the maximum of both Intelligence and Psychometry are 6 for starting characters. But in any case, while the average is 5 on 10 dice, you only actually get that result or better 62% of the time. That's little better than a coin flip for something which is that substantially outside the normal character range. Hardly something which is "reliably" hit.

Well, to start with, it is non-trivial but not very—6 Intelligence isn't a maximum, it's practically a minimum (depending on your interpretation of the interaction, intention, and precedence of some rules, the actual maximum is either 7 or 8 after edges). At TN 4, that's a ~10.93%, ~22.66%, or 36.32% chance of a minimum of five successes, respectively. Because of how ridiculously powerful Intelligence is as an attribute, anything below this range is outside of the normal character range for anything but Trolls.

That's the attribute, now the skill. Psychometry isn't actually involved here, as it's a metamagic, not a skill. The relevant skill here is Aura Reading, which isn't rolled directly when Assensing, but is a complementary skill. As such, every two successes with Aura Reading dice count as one success with Intelligence dice, with the stipulation that at least one success must have been gotten with Intelligence dice.

This makes things a little more complicated. I've been doing combinatorics all day, so I'm going to cut corners on combining these bits.

So Aura Reading is the real place that the expenditure could occur. It's Intelligence-linked, so at least it'll always have the cheap cost, but it's still Build Points that could have been spent elsewhere. Assuming that the character doesn't specialize (maybe he or she wants to pick up Psychometry later or something), the maximum possible expenditure is 6 build points for 6 Skill. That's not a small amount, granted—it ranges between 5% of total BP for the (low, IMO) 120-point recommendation, to just under 4.7% of total BP in my preferred 128-BP allocation. What does this get us?

A quick definition to make the next bit more concise:

prob_least(n,m): the probability of getting at least n successes on m dice at TN 4.
prob_exact(n,m): the probability of getting exactly n successes on m dice at TN 4.

For an Intelligence i and an Aura Reading a, the probability of getting five (effective) successes on an Assensing test will be

CODE
prob_least(i,5) +
prob_exact(i,4) * prob_least(a,2) +
prob_exact(i,3) * prob_least(a,4) +
prob_exact(i,2) * prob_least(a,6) +
prob_exact(i,1) * prob_least(a,8)

Or more generally, the probability of getting m successes:

CODE

prob_least(i,m) + ∑(k=1..m-1) prob_exact(i, m-k) * prob_least(a,2*k)

So for our case, we've got i = 6, 7, and 8, and a = 2..6. I'll do one out the (relatively) long way.

i = 6, a = 6. The specialist.

CODE
prob_least(6,5) +
prob_exact(6,4) * prob_least(6,2) +
prob_exact(6,3) * prob_least(6,4) +
prob_exact(6,2) * prob_least(6,6) +
prob_exact(6,1) * prob_least(6,8)
=
0.109375 +
0.234375 * 0.890625 +
0.3125 * 0.34375 +
0.234375 * 0.015625 +
0.09375 * 0
=

Or about 43%. Any one Assensing has a decent chance of failing (where "failing" is defined as "less than 5 effective successes"), but four times in ten it'll happen. Still, that is a fair expenditure, and one that in my experience often isn't made.

On the other hand, this is a mage (possibly Adept, Ghoul, Shifter, or Dual-Natured Surgeling, but probably Mage) here. Moreover, it's probably a PC. So let's try some more realistic examples (calculations omitted for space and sanity):

i = 7, a = 6. The smarter specialist: ~56.7%

i = 8, a = 6. The smartest specialist: ~68.4%

Intelligence along the left, Aura Reading skill up top:

CODE
    0        2        3        4        5        6        7        8        9
4:  0.00%    1.56%    3.12%    5.86%    9.77%    14.75%   20.70%   27.47%   34.79%
5:  3.12%    7.03%    10.94%   15.82%   21.68%   28.27%   35.35%   42.68%   50.00%
6:  10.94%   16.80%   22.66%   29.00%   35.84%   42.92%   50.00%   56.87%   63.37%
7:  22.66%   29.49%   36.33%   43.16%   50.00%   56.67%   62.99%   68.84%   74.14%
8:  36.33%   43.16%   50.00%   56.49%   62.65%   68.37%   73.58%   78.23%   82.30%

Not exactly what I'd call low chances of success—an average starting mage is getting the big 5 between a fifth and a third of the time, and that's the average starting mage that I usually see, who doesn't have Aura Reading at all. Three BP pulls that up to the .333-.5 range.

Of course, after all that I don't have much insight as to whether being able to regularly get five successes is overly powerful or not.

Anyway, this took a lot longer than I thought, so this post is completely stale by now, but at least it forced me to go back and figure out what that bug was in my probability-calculating code (and modify it to handle complementary dice). I'll probably clean it up a little more and toss it up in case other Dumpshockers might like to make use of it (it's slower than the C version that got posted ages ago, but more versatile—and it's not like the runtime is humanly noticeable on any input I've used, anyway).

~J

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Dec 9 2007, 04:27 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

In a sense, astral projection is already a metamgic technique. SoTA: 2064 had something called "Limited Astral Projection", only available to mystic adepts; you could project for (Magic) minutes instead of hours. Whether it's still considered kosher for SR4, I don't know; I never bothered to email Rob about it.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 10 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I think that it has been proven that if you are wanting a Character that can achieve 5+ success regularly then it can be done with little difficulty (Not to mention taking the Edge: Perceptive).

5 Success's does not give you enough to really do anything. Oh, he is feeling uneasy because he is not being completely honest!! (Cue shocking music)

It's what you do when they get 7-8 Successes. Do you give them more details? or just shrug and say that all you get for your exceptional dice rolling? (And whether getting 7-8 successes is truly exceptional for that Character, Which is not that too difficult to do as a side effect)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 10 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Assensing isn't actually a Perception Test (not even an Astral Perception Test)—depending on your interpretation of what a test "made with the skill" is, you might be able to get by with an Aptitude, though.

~J

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Dec 10 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

Aura Reading is used as a complimentary skill in 3rd edition, you roll intelligence. You of all people should know this!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 10 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

I'm not really sure what you're saying here. Assensing isn't a Perception Test, it's an Assensing Test, regardless of the fact that it's made with Intelligence. You use Aura Reading (as a complementary skill), so a sufficiently generous (but not obviously absurd) interpretation could cause an Aptitude: Aura Reading to bleed over into an Assensing Test, or at least to the complementary dice.

Was what you were saying covered somewhere in there, or did I miss it?

~J

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Dec 10 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I think the confusion comes from me. Perceptive can not be used for Assensing tests, but it can be used with Empathic Sense adept power.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 10 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
5 Success's does not give you enough to really do anything. Oh, he is feeling  uneasy because he is not being completely honest!! (Cue shocking music)

As I said in the third post, if Assensing is meaningless, why bother rolling it? Since Assensing wasn't meaningless in my games, it made more sense for me to make it something the pc's didn't max out all the time without really trying. If the absolute maximum listed result of the Assensing Table is what you need to get anything remotely useful, I think that's a little screwy. I'd rather make the test more difficult, but put something at every stage. Instead of Pass/Fail at 5 successes, the stuff at 1-2 and 3-4 can be important too.

It's what you do when they get 7-8 Successes. Do you give them more details? or just shrug and say that all you get for your exceptional dice rolling? (And whether getting 7-8 successes is truly exceptional for that Character, Which is not that too difficult to do as a side effect)

Again, I could have kept the TN4 and expanded the Assensing Table to 10, but that was more work. And the stuff on the Table was already pretty useful in the style of games I was running. I could have doubled the number of successes needed, or I could raise the TN, and raising the TN was simpler.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 10 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #23

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
I think the confusion comes from me. Perceptive can not be used for Assensing tests, but it can be used with Empathic Sense adept power.

not quite
TN -1 for perception tests. No effect on detection spells, perception through sensors, sight modifiers during combat.|src.23

so as per usual, things that are not mentioned as not working do work *g*

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 10 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

That's hardly true—it doesn't mention it as not working on Athletics tests, but that doesn't mean it does. No, the Edge is specifically defined as applying to Perception tests, with some exceptions. Anything not mentioned as an exception that is otherwise covered in the specified area of application is ok, but Assensing tests are not Perception tests and are thus no more covered than the aforementioned Athletics tests.

~J

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 10 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #25

Running Target

One could make the argument that Assensing is an Astral Perception test. That's how my group always treated it (you were looking at something, just in the Astral instead of the physical world), but we never used Edges and Flaws so the Perceptive bonus was a moot point for us.

Edit: The phys ad power Enhanced Perception seems to back this up, saying that each level "provides an additional die for all Perception Tests, including astral perception..."

On page 171, under the heading Astral Perception, "You can also see glowing auras surrounding living and magical things and gain information from them, using a psychic sixth sense known as assensing."

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.