IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic Armors, Ruling opinion, Magic Question?
The Red Menace
post Dec 11 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,168

So for certain spells you roll Magic+Spellcasting and add the number of additional successes to the Force's damage or dispelling resistance. When rolling for armors do you add the number of additional successes to the character's armor force?
IE
Hungry Jack the magician has a Magic 5, Spellcasting 5. He decides before battle to cast an Armor spell on himself at force 5. He then rolls his Magic (5) + Spellcasting (5) and gets 3 additional successes. Is his armor rating a 5/5 with 3 successes over for dispelling resistance or is his armor rating 8/8?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 11 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,397

You need to go read the spell description.

The armor rating is equal to the hits scored. So in your example the spell would make a 3/3 armor. The force is just the upper limit on the number of hits you can get.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 11 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Armor pg 202)
This spell creates a glowing field of magical energy
around the subject that protects against Physical damage. It
provides both Ballistic and Impact armor (cumulative with
worn armor) to the subject equal to the hits scored.

(Emphasis mine)
Neither. The armor rating in your example would be 3/3.

+Quote Post
The Red Menace
post Dec 11 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 14,168

Thanks for the info...and for proper clarity, it can not exceed the force of the spell?

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 11 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (The Red Menace)
Thanks for the info...and for proper clarity, it can not exceed the force of the spell?

Correct. The Force of a spell always acts as an upper bound for the maximum number of spellcasting hits. You can have a spellcasting pool of 43 dice, but if it's a Force 2 spell only the first 2 hits will count.
So in your example, if the spellcaster scored 5 hits, the armor would be 5/5, but if the spellcaster scored 6 or more hits, the armor would still be 5/5 since the spell was cast at Force 5.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 11 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
You can have a spellcasting pool of 43 dice, but if it's a Force 2 spell only the first 2 hits will count.

Also keep in mind that the restriction is on total hits, not merely net hits in the case of opposed spells.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Dec 11 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

Also keep in mind that edge opens that door again.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Dec 11 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #8

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...the downside of the spell though, as per the description, it glows.

Don't remember it doing that in earlier editions, but I could be wrong as I have played only one mage character ever and that was only for one session.

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Dec 11 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

I'm pretty sure it glowed in SR3 as well.
Not that we ever included that side-effect in our games.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Dec 11 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I'm pretty sure its always glowed.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Dec 11 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #11

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

It has.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Dec 12 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Yeah, which is why in all honesty, I vastly prefer Physical Barrier to the Physical Armor spell. Astral Armor fills a particular niche, I suppose, but Physical Barrier and Physical Armor have the same drain value and everything. Sure, you may have to reapply Physical Barrier on a case by case basis, and it can certainly collapse at any time, but you can't make an impromptu ramp, block an entrance or suddenly materialize a structure 5 wall (equivalent to small tree or ballistic glass!) in front of a speeding motorcycle with Physical armor, can you? I took out three pursuing lonestar squadcars once with a bit of Edge, a Physical Barrier and a Force 4 Spirit slinging Accident. Botched crash tests are hilarious.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 12 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #13

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

suddenly materialize a structure 5 wall (equivalent to small tree or ballistic glass!) in front of a speeding motorcycle with Physical armor, can you?

but imagine someone with a high force armor spell simply standing there and having the vehicle crash into him, totally deforming while he just stands there dusting himself off . . now that is a sight to behold *g*

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Dec 12 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #14

Runner

that'd be sweet if it happened, but since the RAW doesn't take into account the durability of whatever you hit into the ramming damage table, it's still vastly inferior to the physical barrier tactic, which never puts the caster at risk. In fact, by the RAW, it'd be easy to argue that a Force 1 barrier would be enough to make a Bulldog going 40 meters per turn resist half its body in damage when they collide. My own GM, however, believes that to be kind of stupid and reserves the right waive that extra damage potential and sticks with just the crash test when a vehicle hits something much less massive than it self. I think he's overreacting, however; most of the REALLY big vehicles have a hard time punching through their own armor, even when using their own body as a damage value. I guess he's still just annoyed by me always playing Mages and causing ridiculous numbers of crash tests with Accident and Barrier.

This post has been edited by Whipstitch: Dec 12 2007, 12:47 AM

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 12 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Echo all Whipstitch said on the usefullness of physical barrier.

Thats one spell I always wanted usage-based drain for - driving a semi into a barrier should make the mage choke his own blood. On the other hand, just having the barrier should not cause so much drain.

I would use the vehicles speed with the rammed objectives "body" on the RAW table. No force 1 barrier - nonsense.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 12 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

are there rules for the barrier crashing into targets or not?
Guy running/crashing into wall
Wall moving/crashing into guy
GM:"you see a shining wall form before you"
PC:"i brake!!"
GM:"ok, you make it. you stop mere inches before hitting the wall. ."
PC:"whoo! that was close!"
GM". . then the wall jumps at you and hits you in the frigging face!"

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 12 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #17

Awakened Asset

I think all magical barriers are supposed to be immobile.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Dec 12 2007, 07:11 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Its a PORTABLE WALL! Ya know kinda like a portable hole! LOL :nyah: :eek:

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Dec 12 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Oh wow, that was funny. My mind just imagined the scene of a manifested earth spirit appearing as a wall, and once the runner gives that sigh of relief for stopping in time, the wall jumps and beats the snot out of him. Damned amusing. Thank you Stahlseele.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 12 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I'm not sure if they're totally immobile or if they can be moved the way other spell effects can. Physical Barrier is descibed as (Environmental, Area), and sustained area effect spells can be moved as per Step 7: On Going Effects on page 174 of the main book. In previous editions, I think there was a limit on how fast you could move things (meters per turn, anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) but in SR4 is just says, "the affected area may be moved with a complex action, anywhere within LOS."

Since this isn't TOON, and the barrier has no listed STR or Damage score, I'd rule that this isn't something you can use as a giant flyswatter. You might move the barrier a thousand meters in less than a second, but it doesn't slam into someone with all that force, it simply becomes a barrier in front of them. The Manipulation spells that used to do that (Punch, Clout and so on) got moved into Combat, which seems like a good enough reason to not make Barrier even more powerful versions of those spells.

Likewise, if you cast a barrier to block a doorway and then decide you'd rather block the doorway on the other side of the room, with a Complex Action you can just put the barrier over there, but it doesn't sweep across the room. That's how I'd rule it; although another GM might want the barrier to be blocked by objects and need a clear path to be moved. (My feeling is it's magic, and the caster already has to expend a Complex action, so it doesn't bother me. YMMV.)

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Dec 12 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I've gotta agree. You can move the barrier, but I'd rule it as simply phasing out and back into existence where you wanted it. Just kinda fade out and fade back in. At least that beats the giant flyswatter problem.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 12 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin)
Oh wow, that was funny. My mind just imagined the scene of a manifested earth spirit appearing as a wall, and once the runner gives that sigh of relief for stopping in time, the wall jumps and beats the snot out of him. Damned amusing. Thank you Stahlseele.

*bows* sank ju, sank ju, i'll be here a long time *g*

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Dec 12 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #23

Awakened Asset

Thanks! I was fully unaware of that possiblity!

Check me on this: Put a barrier into a sustaining focus. Leave the barrier at home. If you need it, call it into LOS. Then hide it away somewhere until you are home again.

Next, donĀ“t use the focus, sustain the spell yourself. Any problems crossing a mana barrier by having your barrier change location to the other side once you went over?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 12 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #24

The ShadowComedian

another thing . . is there an official ruling on kitty pryde'ing? O.o
meaning, is there a ruling about manifesting such a barrier simply inside something else?
For example, if you can see that the barrier is 3m long and you see someone standing there and you can see both sides of him and draw the line where you want the barrier to be . . can that line be drawn through his body and will the barrier either trap his body or do . . something ugly?

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Dec 12 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #25

Runner

Mainlining magical power directly into a physical form until their head asplodes is called Powerbolt :silly:
Physical Barrier isn't Powerbolt and it's line of sight, so I imagine since you can't see "in" someone the spell would simply fail if it was attempted to be used in that way. Plus, the spell doesn't actually appear to displace things. Air and other molecules small enough to be unseen by the naked eye (and therefore don't interfere with LOS) actually pass right through the barrier like it's not even there. I suppose you could in theory make a spell that can exist simultaneously in the same space with larger objects, but then, what would the point of the spell be if it doesn't really interact with much of anything? :wobble:

As far as trapping people goes, yeah, that's easy; you can shape the barrier how you want and plopping a dome right over someone is something the spell is perfectly capable of.

Christ, I put waaay too much thought into this that really should be going towards finals.

This post has been edited by Whipstitch: Dec 12 2007, 11:08 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.