IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberware and Regeneration, Can it work?
ShaunClinton
post Dec 14 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,028

Me and my PCs were chatting about this the other day and I had an idea that might work.

Generally I would assume if someone with cyberware & bioware gets regeneration, then the 'ware eventually gets painfully ejected. I'm sure most of you would agree.

The closest thing to official rules for this are in the M&M description of the magical compound Immortal Flower which grants regeneration. Basically it causes something like 2 or 4d6 stress points to cyber and bio after each use (which can vary from a few hours up to about 12).

Now, if you had an individual with a lot of very well installed delta grade ware complete with nano-repair systems and redundancy on each item, and a similar calibre bioware set-up, could their 'ware survive the stresses of regeneration?

If regeneration does something of the order of 8d6 stress against bio and cyber each day let's call that 30 stress points. Of those fully a fair % will likely hit empty slots. Of whatever remains the damage will be split across numerous items, each of which has a 33% chance of taking no damage. Whenever some 'ware hits moderate stress the nano-repair system kicks in to fix it.

If you allowed the stress reduction from cybertorso and cyberskulls to apply then you would be even more likely to succeed!

Admittedly this is insanely expensive, but hey, so is being a cyberzombie! And wouldn't you rather stop just shy of that and be a regenerating cyber-monster instead?

Feasible or not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 14 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'd have no problems with dedicated Nanite Repair Systems eliminating any and all Stress and Cyber Damage (I wouldn't even require the implants to be Delta grade). Of course, I would require a separate 'system' for each implant (or type of implant in the case of multiples). Might fill up a Nanite Hive or two pretty quick. :)

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Dec 14 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

In SR3 if you get regen after you get cyberware, your cyberware gets forcibly extruded from your body.

In SR2 if you get regen after cyberware, you handed the GM your character sheet.

Creatures with the regen ability heal too quickly to get implanted cyberware.

If you have regen ... and your cyberware takes damage, how are you going to get it repaired? You would need to find a mage and develop a regen suppression spell.

I am not sure about the nanite thing. I would think that your system would purge them too quickly.

So if you are playing an epic game with a hoard of drakes, dragons, HMHVV infected runners this might be worth looking into. otherwise it's just a little munchkin. (just a little.)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 14 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Personally, I think the whole 'ejecting Cyberware' thing is silly. After all, the stuff was paid for with Essence, and is now an intricate part of 'You'. Note that I don't think regeneration would, should, or could repair cyberware (bioware is another story), but I just don't think it should forcibly eject the ware from a person's body. That's dumb.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 14 2007, 09:54 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

It's in keeping with the theme of "it just don't fit in" that exists everywhere but in LOS/targeting issues (which is where the "paid for with Essence" argument comes out of left field).

Personally, I think it should digest bioware. And then maybe digest it even in people who don't regenerate. And then digest people who increase the role of bioware in the game.

~J

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Dec 14 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

I agree with you Fortune. I don't buy it or like it either, but then again, I still follow most of SR2 rules. Where headaches are actually healed as well as physical.

Personally, I think it should digest bioware. And then maybe digest it even in people who don't regenerate. And then digest people who increase the role of bioware in the game.

This is a cool idea, but, I wouldn't suggest that it digests it, especially if it is clonal tissue. (your body doesn't digest cancer does it?) It might not repair damage to it as well as the original tissue.

+Quote Post
ShaunClinton
post Dec 14 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #7

Target

Well, I'm assuming regen works as described in SR3. Personally it doesn't make that much sense at times - when you acquire regeneration does it heal every scar, wound and missing digit you have ever picked up? Canonically it doesn't look as though it does, but it somehow heals back your arm if you have a cyberlimb.

Anyway...

In SR3 if you get regen after you get cyberware, your cyberware gets forcibly extruded from your body.

This is just not true, check out the immortal flower description in M&M.

If you had clonal bioware then there is no reason at all for the bodies 'natural' defences to attack it. Therefore it should be compatible with regeneration.

I guess the weapon focus scalpel for implantation is out of the question? ;)

All of this must be easier in SR4, you just expose yourself to something you're allergic to and then disengage it when you want to heal fast.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 15 2007, 06:14 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Platinum @ Dec 14 2007, 04:55 PM)
This is a cool idea, but, I wouldn't suggest that it digests it, especially if it is clonal tissue.  (your body doesn't digest cancer does it?)

I don't know about your body, but my body also tends not to exhibit any of the properties specified in the Regeneration description. It'd be pretty convenient, though :)

~J

+Quote Post
ShaunClinton
post Jan 8 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #9

Target

I created a model to simulate this over a 42 day period.

If you have a bunch of cyber/bio, all redundant with key systems protected by cybertorso/cyberskull with nano-repair systems and a good body attribute then you can have a regenerating character with cyberware.

I used the immortal flower type concept and said that you would suffer 2d6 Wound Effects every 6 hours. Basically in 200 simulations the maximum stress level reached by any implant was 8, and that had came down to 3 by the end of the 42 day test period.

Awesome. I love it ten times.

Power extreme!

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Jan 8 2008, 08:16 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

QUOTE (ShaunClinton)
I guess the weapon focus scalpel for implantation is out of the question? ;)

I've seen characters with scalpel weapon foci, but never for implantation.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 01:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.