Reply to this topicStart new topic
> IT at DocWagon, Your info has been hacked: 827 times
Gelare
post Dec 22 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,235

DocWagon contracts appear to be standard issue for Shadowrunners - a bunch of the sample characters in the core book have them, and even though there's no possible way an ambulance could get to your bleeding gutter punk in the half a minute it takes him to bleed to death under the basic rules, that can be house ruled away. But when you sign up with DocWagon they take a huge amount of information about you, most of it personal, all of it dangerous, including bloody ritual samples!

Even if we assume DocWagon is benign (an AA corp that's looking out for you? Fat chance.) what is your account keyed to? I mean, it can't be keyed to your SIN, because those contracts are annual and Shadowrunners dump fake SINs way more often than that. If they were keyed to your SIN, every fake SIN would cost an extra 5000 :nuyen: unless of course you decide to opt out of the cost-doubling medical contract. But as a non-extraterritorial corp (as far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong) DocWagon still has to worry about those little things called laws, and I'm betting doing business with SINless is frowned upon.

So as a GM, what's the best way for me to explain/handwave this? Does the same stuff apply to CrashCart? Any stuff in the older books I should be aware of?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 23 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

as i understand, it's basically just DOING BUSINESS . . they might have to answer to the laws, but if their clients don't have a sin then what would the system do against that? there's no sin to which the contract is keyed, so there's nothing for the system to tell Doc Wagon:"you've been naughty" about . . if they go to doc-wagon about why someone with a fake sin has one of their contracts, dog waggong probably just tells them:"when we checked it seemed legit enough!" . . as to why they should do that? how many clients are they going to get if they rat them out whenever their clients actually NEED their assistance?
same would apply to crash cart and bumona i'd think O.o

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 23 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

why would you regularly drop your fake SIN several times per year? most illegal stuff, you can do with no SIN at all.

higher levels of service are probably keyed to your bracelet. as long as DocWagon receives payment for the account in their database that is linked to your bracelet, they'll come rescue whoever's wearing that bracelet whenever the bracelet indicates its wearer is in trouble.

i don't actually remember reading that DocWagon takes ritual samples of its clientel, or otherwise gathers lots of non-medical data. page ref?

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 23 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #4

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

For 4th Edition cannon material, the opening chapter of Augmentation is what you want. It has quite a lot of background on medical care in 2070 including armed emergency response teams such as Docwagon. For public and private health care, you need a SIN, unless you're talking a street doc. However, just because a runner may change her SIN frequently, it doesn't mean that she can't have a SIN she keeps for her medical contract. You can juggle as many SINs as you like so long as you can remember what name to answer to on any given phone.

Incidentally, according to that chapter in Augmentation, DocWagon does have extraterritoriality for their clinics and has been known to ignore extradition requests if your contract is platinum or better.

+Quote Post
HappyDaze
post Dec 23 2007, 01:33 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,669

why would you regularly drop your fake SIN several times per year? most illegal stuff, you can do with no SIN at all.

In a 'black' game even all of the legal stuff you do with that SIN leaves a trail that can be examined. Examination may link it to other SINs (real or faked) that then draw the net tighter. In more 'chrome' games you may have a fake SIN or two that are used for years, but this is dangerous to do if hackers and - mainly - agents can really comb the net 24/7 looking for pieces of the puzzles you leave behind.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 23 2007, 01:35 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

If you have a docwagon contract you are carrying around a very effective and powerful tracking device. Do you really want to do this?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 23 2007, 02:06 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i suppose it depends on the circles your characters run in. i tend to view things the way an average runner would look at them--a guy with no training in intel/counterintel, who came up off the street or maybe out of a corp job where such things were handled by other departments. if you get higher in the game and start getting involved in shadow politics, yeah, it pays to do stuff like dumping your IDs regularly. but the average runner is generally protected by being just another fish in the sea. it doesn't really matter if he goes on runs with a pink mohawk, because there are thousands of guys with pink mohawks just in Seattle alone. likewise, using the same ID for years at a time presents a low risk for most runners, because they're just another gutterpunk using a fake ID in a city of gutterpunks using fake IDs.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Dec 23 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

Keep in mind its not that hard to stabilize on your own.

Its also quite possible you an trip the bracelet on your own. A rather handy trick if your wounded with out a ride and in a hostile area.
Doc Wagon doesn't answer to any one government they are a wide branching private corporation.

You could even have a special fake sin just for Doc Wagon, then If you've got cash and give a tissue sample your all done. (the tissue sample requirement is mentioned under the doc wagon contracts).
After all the contract is linked to the bracelet not your SIN.

If you've got a doc wagon bracelet they know you must have a contract no matter your identity. The bracelet is linked to your tissue sample. So even if you go through 4 dozen sins between the time you get the contract and the time its actually used what difference does it make.

Doc Wagon's not going to check your SIN after you've already submitted a tissue sample and had
the bracelet snapped on.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Dec 24 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (mfb)
i don't actually remember reading that DocWagon takes ritual samples of its clientel, or otherwise gathers lots of non-medical data. page ref?

I don't have my books on me, but it says in the BBB when talking about DocWagon contracts that they take a tissue sample. Granted, I don't actually know the ritual sample rules, but it's a piece of your body, I figure that counts.

So we've decided that your contract is keyed to your bracelet. I'm going to guess that what's stopping people from stealing bracelets to get themselves free medical care is the fact that DocWagon cross-checks your skin with the tissue sample they collected earlier, and if they don't match you'll get roughed up and dumped on the sidewalk. SINs aren't that important to the process.

A couple related questions, then. DocWagon clearly has the ability to track anybody wearing one of their bracelets. Wouldn't that make the DocWagon tracking system the total jackpot of any hacker? Wouldn't every single important corp and other organization have an in on DocWagon's system so they can track anybody with a DocWagon bracelet at any time? Wouldn't that, y'know, suck?

Also, what are the costs and benefits of DocWagon after you've got a contract? If I've got a basic contract and I don't want to walk back home across town, can I hit a button on my bracelet and have an ambulance take me home? Is there a fee for this? Can I hit the button and go to the emergency room because I'm a hypochondriac and getting panicky? Is there a fee for that? Can I hit the button because I've been shot in the face? Is there a fee for that? Am I even able to hit a button on my bracelet to summon an ambulance, or do I have to shoot myself in the chest to get them to come? (My players have actually shot each other in an effort to get DocWagon to come save their asses - that was good times.) Basically, I really just want more specifics on how these services work, since the books seem to be sort of vague on these points.

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 24 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,397

QUOTE (Gelare)
QUOTE (mfb)

I don't have my books on me, but it says in the BBB when talking about DocWagon contracts that they take a tissue sample. Granted, I don't actually know the ritual sample rules, but it's a piece of your body, I figure that counts.

So we've decided that your contract is keyed to your bracelet. I'm going to guess that what's stopping people from stealing bracelets to get themselves free medical care is the fact that DocWagon cross-checks your skin with the tissue sample they collected earlier, and if they don't match you'll get roughed up and dumped on the sidewalk. SINs aren't that important to the process.

A couple related questions, then. DocWagon clearly has the ability to track anybody wearing one of their bracelets. Wouldn't that make the DocWagon tracking system the total jackpot of any hacker? Wouldn't every single important corp and other organization have an in on DocWagon's system so they can track anybody with a DocWagon bracelet at any time? Wouldn't that, y'know, suck?

Also, what are the costs and benefits of DocWagon after you've got a contract? If I've got a basic contract and I don't want to walk back home across town, can I hit a button on my bracelet and have an ambulance take me home? Is there a fee for this? Can I hit the button and go to the emergency room because I'm a hypochondriac and getting panicky? Is there a fee for that? Can I hit the button because I've been shot in the face? Is there a fee for that? Am I even able to hit a button on my bracelet to summon an ambulance, or do I have to shoot myself in the chest to get them to come? (My players have actually shot each other in an effort to get DocWagon to come save their asses - that was good times.) Basically, I really just want more specifics on how these services work, since the books seem to be sort of vague on these points.

Ok, let me take on your questions.

First, the band only tracks people when it is activated, this is to ensure privacy (which even joe average wants to think he has), as well as to prevent insurgents exactly as you mentioned.

Second, calling them to take you accross town won't work. They'll only come pick you up and take you to the nearest hospital (and likely be pissed that you arn't actually injured, likely canceling your contract right away). This would cost alot though as an ambulence ride generally costs alot (Like $400-500 now a days).

If you really want to pay for emergancy room services when nothing is wrong with you I'm sure Docwagon won't mind taking your money. So if your a hypochondriac I'm sure they don't care too much that you've just stuck your finger as long as you don't mind paying the huge fees.

Sure, you can hit the button if you've been shot in the face, in fact I'm sure it is recomended. See all the above stuff about fees.

And from the text it sounds as if it can be activated whenever you want
comes with a biomonitor RFID tag
implant or wristband (basic service) that can be activated to
call for help and then to serve as a homing beacon for roving
DocWagon ambulances and choppers.

A bit more spesific on fees. I would think that the contract either covers the ambulence itself or you'll be paying a few hundred :nuyen:. I'd imagine that the High Threat Responce is up to the GM based on how much he is doling out as mission rewards and such. Same with resuscitations and death compensation. Other then that hospital care is going to be the same with or without the contract, excepting of course high level contracts that spesificly get discounts.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 24 2007, 04:51 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Karaden)
First, the band only tracks people when it is activated, this is to ensure privacy (which even joe average wants to think he has), as well as to prevent insurgents exactly as you mentioned.

Um, where does it say that? And if it does, you'd believe this because of what? It's a sealed system that includes remote access, high power radio, data communications and a location system and will occasionally need to talk to corporate.

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 24 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

It doesn't say that spesificly, but I'm infering it from the fact that it says '...can be activated to call for help and then act as a homing beacon for...' Which seems to indicate that it doesn't act as a beacon untill it needs to act as such.

Besides that infrance there is the fact that no runner in their right mind would ever own one otherwise because there would be insurgents that could find you easily and everything, and DocWagon would likely be willing to tip off people for the right sums, and could easily do it under the table so noone would ever figure it out.

This falls under that 'It really needs to be this way or SR quickly stops working.'

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 24 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

I always used it as an IQ test for stupid runners myself....

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Dec 24 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #14

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

Ones that want to stay alive.
Ill push any player with the money to get one. DW is a big enough player that what ever hardware they are using IS secure. And they have the balls to send some of their clients (aka a runner team) after anyone who decides they want to break into said hardware.

+Quote Post
Karaden
post Dec 24 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Kind of pointless to have it presented in the book as something runners have and use (even giving some starting characters contracts) if that is all it is.

I understand that you (kzt) hate handwaving and seem to love having everything in SR make it impossable to play SR, but sometimes you just have to accept that SR isn't perfect.

I'd love to go off on a huge tangent here but I won't.

I'll just point out that the game is in fact a game at the end of the day, and I really doubt that they are going to put something like DocWagon in the game spesificly to try and trick players into buying tracking devices that everyone is going to use to find them.

I know I have a better point to make, but I'm too tired... for another day perhaps.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 24 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I never bother with DocWagon™, because inevitably whenever you need them, you are in a location to which they will not respond.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Dec 24 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #17

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I'll add three things here:

Firstly, I agree with Karaden that the Docwagon bracelet only starts transmitting when activated. The book describes the tag as
QUOTE (SR4)
a biomonitor RFID tag implant or wristband (basic service) that can be activated to call for help and then to serve as a homing beacon for roving DocWagon ambulances and choppers.

Seems open and shut.
Secondly, for those asking about fees and costs, Augmentation has what you're looking for: Page 175 lists costs for medical care of various kinds and different providers whilst SR4 page 329 lists which services you get free at different levels of service.

Finally, yes of course Docwagon keep tissue samples - for Platinum members they even keep a full clone on ice - but just because a corp knows that Blood Shadow broke into their facility last month it doesn't mean they know that John Smith registered at the local Docwagon has an exact DNA match. Yes - reverse matching is possible but I would imagine this to be a very big job. Particularly when you have to hack your way into a glacial system to look at each sample. Docwagon are big and they make their money by offering a good service. Augmentation makes it fairly clear that they know which side their bread is buttered, short of you pissing off some pretty heavy players.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 24 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Fortune)
I never bother with DocWagon™, because inevitably whenever you need them, you are in a location to which they will not respond.

That's the second part of the test....

Besides, runners are a poor risk, and Docwagon is a health insurance company. They really don't want runners as clients. Not a profitable client base.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Dec 24 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 24 2007, 02:27 AM)

That's the second part of the test....

Besides, runners are a poor risk, and Docwagon is a health insurance company. They really don't want runners as clients. Not a profitable client base.

why not? as long as they're paying, docwagon is still making money.

and not only that, but if they die while in docwagon care, what do you think happens to the runner's 'ware? i rather doubt they bury it or cremate it with the person most of the time...

honestly, while they probably get the best margin when someone never actually uses their health insurance, i'm sure they still make money even when you do use it, and while the margin probably isn't as good, i would be very surprised if the overall quantity of money earned per unit period of time doesn't increase.

+Quote Post
cx2
post Dec 24 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,802

As to why people don't steal docwagon bracelets there are a couple things I can imagine stopping this. I might be wrong, but I read the above quoted section of the BBB to be saying only the basic monitor is an actual bracelet with the others being implanted.

Also I seem to recall something about if the band is broken it triggers the bracelet, but even if not then removing the bracelet is comparable to flatlining really since the biomonitor suddenly ceases all feedback. Could present problems with showers but hey.

As to whether it's worth it, that is very much dependent on your game style. If you do a lot of work in the barrens where there is no extra territoriality then it might well be worth it.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Dec 24 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Jaid)
why not? as long as they're paying, docwagon is still making money.

honestly, while they probably get the best margin when someone never actually uses their health insurance, i'm sure they still make money even when you do use it, and while the margin probably isn't as good, i would be very surprised if the overall quantity of money earned per unit period of time doesn't increase.

It's like trying to get a personal health insurance or life insurance policy when you have AIDS and diabetes. Runners are a poor risk who are likely to cost more that they bring in. It's expensive getting a helo shot down. The best way to maximize profits on insurance is to not insure people who are likely to make claims and definitely not insure people who are probably going to cost the company money every year.

Remember, they are not your friend, they are not out to help you, they are out to make as much profit off you as is possible. If they can't make a good profit from insuring you they have no interest in doing business with you. People who live a violent criminal lifestyle tend to have really expensive medical costs, tend to get docwagon teams shot up and are just not the kind of client they want.

Plus, if they cover you, you are carrying around a homing device that is connected to the docwagon computer network. This isn't a big deal to Joe Citizen, but it might be one to someone who tends to go places they have no right to be and doesn't want people knowing they were there.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Dec 24 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #22

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Docwagon is not a medical insurance company. It is an ambulance service. It makes money by transporting people who have been injured. If it doesn't transport people, it doesn't make money. The contract obliges them to pick you up and gives you a number of free transports, but after those free transports are used up they start charging you and they still come.

More importantly, Docwagon is a high-threat ambulance service with well-armed and armored personnel who are expected to extract clients from firefights. They make most of their money by extracting people from firefights. And once their clients are extracted they can extract enemy wounded and charge them for the service.

The more violent incidents a client is involved in and the larger the scale of the violence is, the more money Docwagon makes.

Lets say that a group of Shadowrunners get into a shootout with local law enforcement. One of the Shadowrunners is in injured and his Docwagon bracelet goes off. Docwagon comes in and is contractually obliged to suppress the cops using semi-lethal means and extract the runners. So, they shoot the police officers with a combination of regular ammo, gas grenades, and stick-and shock at the police officers. Many of the cops are poisoned, some are shot, and some are knocked out. The Shadowrunners get away in the ambulance. A second Dcowagon ambulance then arives to extract the wounded police officiers. For a single incident, Docwagon gets paid double, possibly more than double depending on the numerical advantage that the police have.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Dec 24 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Docwagon is not a medical insurance company. It is an ambulance service. It makes money by transporting people who have been injured. If it doesn't transport people, it doesn't make money. The contract obliges them to pick you up and gives you a number of free transports, but after those free transports are used up they start charging you and they still come.

More importantly, Docwagon is a high-threat ambulance service with well-armed and armored personnel who are expected to extract clients from firefights.  They make most of their money by extracting people from firefights.  And once their clients are extracted they can extract enemy wounded and charge them for the service.

The more violent incidents a client is involved in and the larger the scale of the violence is, the more money Docwagon makes.

Lets say that a group of Shadowrunners get into a shootout with local law enforcement. One of the Shadowrunners is in injured and his Docwagon bracelet goes off.  Docwagon comes in and is contractually obliged to suppress the cops using semi-lethal means and extract the runners. So, they shoot the police officers with a combination of regular ammo, gas grenades, and stick-and shock at the police officers.  Many of the cops are poisoned, some are shot, and some are knocked out. The Shadowrunners get away in the ambulance. A second Dcowagon ambulance then arives to extract the wounded police officiers. For a single incident, Docwagon gets paid double, possibly more than double depending on the numerical advantage that the police have.

I know you're right about the first stuff - DocWagon is definitely not an insurance company, that's for sure. I was going to ask a question about what happens with corpsec, but you already gave that example with the cops. I sort of have to ask...really? DocWagon can shoot the cops and they don't get their asses hauled to court and have everyone in the company and their brother thrown in jail? Why is that the case?

Also, only the AAAs and some AAs have extraterritoriality. Most runners aren't going to be making runs against actual Ares facilities, they'll target subsidiaries and such, which, I presume, are not extraterritorial. So if the runners get dropped in the middle of Olympus Technologies' top-secret research lab, will DocWagon send in HTR teams to shred the place and get back their client? If so, that's pretty wild. Also, dangerously exploitable.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Dec 24 2007, 07:57 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I have to disagree about the "runners aren't profitable clients for Docwagon" idea. Docwagon is not an insurance company, they are an emergency medical transport company.

Sure, Joe Sarariman who pays his premiums every year and doesn't have a bigger medical problem than a heart attack at age 35, he's just pure cash without much needed in customer service.

But Joe Runner on the other hand, maybe he got shot a couple of times last year and needed a med-evac. Mr. Runner gets charged for the ambulance ride, the EMT care while en-route, hospital care, HTR response if he needed it, death compensation if needed, etc... Sure it maybe costs Docwagon to keep the helo fired up and ready to roll, but they pass the costs on to the customer. Runners keep Docwagon in business, and business is good.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Dec 24 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #25

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (Gelare)
Even if we assume DocWagon is benign (an AA corp that's looking out for you? Fat chance.) what is your account keyed to? I mean, it can't be keyed to your SIN, because those contracts are annual and Shadowrunners dump fake SINs way more often than that. If they were keyed to your SIN, every fake SIN would cost an extra 5000 :nuyen: unless of course you decide to opt out of the cost-doubling medical contract. But as a non-extraterritorial corp (as far as I know - correct me if I'm wrong) DocWagon still has to worry about those little things called laws, and I'm betting doing business with SINless is frowned upon.

Ever heard of numbered accounts?

Ever heard of people of questionable moral and ethical character using them to store ill gotten gains?

The solution to this problem is old.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.