IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attuning your commlink, How would this work?
Zhan Shi
post Dec 31 2007, 05:53 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,615

This question was covered briefly months ago in another thread, but I can't find the damn thing. Anyway, the Item Attunement Table (p. 55, SM), lists "commlink" as one of the items, costing 10 karma. On p. 54, under Attunement (Item) (adepts Only), it says: "...provides a dice pool modifier to any skill tests involving use, control, or handling of the item equal to half the character's initiate grade (rounded up)...provides no bonus when the item is controlled through an electronic interface (be it digital, VR, AR, or DNI)..." Does this mean that a character could have a bonus when, for example, using a Browse program, but would NOT get a bonus when using the commlink to control a drone or vehicle?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Dec 31 2007, 06:43 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

Sounds like you'd get a bonus when bashing someone over the head with your commlink, but not when using it as a computer, just from the quotes.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Dec 31 2007, 06:54 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

That's what it seems like to me as well. But then why even bother to list the commlink? Unless it's just an error in the editing.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 31 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You can manipulate your commlink manually, without interfacing with it via DNI. In this case, having an Attuned commlink would give you a bonus to whatever you were trying to accomplish using that commlink. You will suffer from the lack of Direct Neural Interface though.

+Quote Post
JBlades
post Dec 31 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,734

But you don't benefit if the interface is digital (a screen), AR, image linked(DNI), or VR, so it only works in turtle mode with all output being run to a printer? Well, I guess you could get a bonus for running diagnostics on your cyberware and stuff like that as long as you just read the results off a hardcopy.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 31 2007, 01:38 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

The output can be digital (as in a screen or image link) so long as any actual interfacing on the adept's end is manual in nature. He has to spin that wheel or move that mouse or type that phrase or ...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Dec 31 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

You'd probably get the bonus for hardware tests to upgrade/repair your commlink. :-)

+Quote Post
Sponge
post Jan 2 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,097

QUOTE (JBlades)
But you don't benefit if the interface is digital (a screen), AR, image linked(DNI), or VR, so it only works in turtle mode with all output being run to a printer? Well, I guess you could get a bonus for running diagnostics on your cyberware and stuff like that as long as you just read the results off a hardcopy.

If the interface by which you actually operate the commlink is physical, i.e. a keyboard, then you get the Attunement bonus. The fact that it's displaying stuff for you digitally on your glasses or whatever is, IMO, irrelevant - the Attunement, as I read it, is meant to represent a exceptional (magical) familiarity with using a specific physical object (for *physical* adepts), whether it's swinging a particular sword or typing on a particular keyboard/commlink (even if it's a wireless keyboard). The key aspect is that the character is physically interacting with the commlink input device using muscles, and not through some electronic (i.e. DNI) interface.

DS

EDIT: For the OP, the earlier thread is http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=19924 .

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Sep 5 2008, 03:01 AM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

Apologies for the thread necro... but it seems an apt question which isn't addressed yet here.

I see keyboards and mice mentioned. What about the red headed stepchild of interfacing w/ AR and commlinks. Gloves (generally seen as pointless when everyones using trodes or datajack DNI's which the attunement disallows).

Visualizing the adept going nuts on the commlink "Minority Report" style, gestating wildly. Not going to have anything in your hands while doing it that's for sure which is a bit of a drawback in a combat situation.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Sep 5 2008, 09:04 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

Eh, I'd say the ar gloves would work. Since you are still typing, moving your hands, etc. You just couldn't use trodes/datajack kind of setup.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Sep 6 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 13,662

I managed to answer my own question while reading Unwired.

Here's some help to all of you... page 58 under interface. It says what is included in a manual interface.

You have the basics of the keypad and simple controls (which take a simple action to use). However quote "If you want advanced features, however, you need to access their controls via augmented reality".

Then it lists the manual methods of accessing and interfacing w/ augmented reality (which is necessary to access the full functions of the device).
Quote: "Even without a neural interface, you can access augmented reality, but you have to use special equipment such as goggles or contacts w/ display link, earbuds, AR gloves, feedback clothing and so on (see augmented reality p209 SR4)"

Hope this is helpfull... it seemed kind of pointless to have the commlink in the attunement chart w/o a way to control the damned things (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.