Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Jan 3 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,753

Sorry, I think your explanation and probably your SR mindset needs some serious work, in my opinion.

12 yr olds that can only be a hooker to drug dealer ??
Only in SR do you get fined and jailed for shoplifting ?? And not in the real world ??

Typically, you've instantly defined SR and characters as being the gun crazed, low morale people that don't actually appear in SR fiction or Cyberpunk fiction.

Theres a lot of depth to SR, if you care to use it..
..And describing it the way you appear to have doesn't give the freedom to be anything else.

SR is meant to be a world, with characters that should reflect diversity - not just gunbunnies mages and hackers.

Most of the SR world is not the stuff of magic, cyberware, covert ops, shadowrunners, gangs, etc

Why write your own history, when you could use the short history in the actual rulebook ??

If your players are D&D-ers, why not just use the D20 rules supplement that mixes modern world and DnD fantasy ??

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 3 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

QUOTE (Synner667)
Sorry, I think your explanation and probably your SR mindset needs some serious work, in my opinion.

12 yr olds that can only be a hooker to drug dealer ??
Only in SR do you get fined and jailed for shoplifting ??

I see your point. I am trying to point out that she could be anything, so I guess that I should point that out.

Typically, you've instantly defined SR and characters as being the gun crazed, low morale people that don't actually appear in SR fiction or Cyberpunk fiction.

Perhaps not in your world. I didn't realize that you were the authentic source of SR interpretation.

Why not use the short history in the actual rulebook ??

Please see my statement at the beginning of my post:
QUOTE (Alex)

Honestly, I think that I may side on getting them to read the History Lesson at the beginning of the BBB...

If your players are D&D-ers, why not just use the D20 rules supplement that mixes modern world and DnD fantasy ??

That's not a bad idea; however, I have never seen such - unless you count the sub-set in the DMG. Please point me in the right direction for rules if different from those in the DMG.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 3 2008, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

D20 Modern

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jan 3 2008, 10:35 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

actually, that more or less just has the modern stuff and a tiny bit of optional rules for fantasy and stuff like that. there's a specific add-on book for adding in magic as a major part of the setting, which doesn't require the characters to be level 6+ as i understand it.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Jan 3 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #6

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

What if, instead of writing up a history of the world for everybody, you wrote a "what it was like growing up" for each Lifestyle? It occurs to me that it might be more personal for and immediate to both the character and the player.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 3 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #7

Runner

QUOTE (Aaron)
What if, instead of writing up a history of the world for everybody, you wrote a "what it was like growing up" for each Lifestyle? It occurs to me that it might be more personal for and immediate to both the character and the player.

I like this idea. Thanks!

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 3 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

I've written some stuff that's different, but with the same aim - cluing in new players to Shadowrun (with D&D players in mind). Different approach to yours, but we should compare notes. I paid a bit more attention to the rules and game-play side than I did to the background, so opposite to you.

New Player FAQ

Also, an in-character piece on racism for seen setting here.

As regards yours, the only thing I'd say, and it's a bizarre criticism to make given that I'm basically advising you not to be right, is that the stuff you've put in about Howling Coyote highlights one of the less-plausible bits of SR history. You'll see that in my FAQ, I subtly changed the whole thing to be both more and less ethno-centric at the same time. I'm only mentioning it because it's the part of your history document that new players might choke on. Or not, depending on the need for plausibility.

Hope this helps,

-K.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 3 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Alex)
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jan 3 2008, 05:45 PM)

I like this idea. Thanks!

That's a great idea. I think I'll have a crack at that as well.

-K.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 3 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (knasser)
I've written some stuff that's different, but with the same aim - cluing in new players to Shadowrun (with D&D players in mind). Different approach to yours, but we should compare notes. I paid a bit more attention to the rules and game-play side than I did to the background, so opposite to you.

I like what you did. I would probably add in a little more flavor-wise; however, that is more of a personal preference issue than anything else.

I read the piece on racism before you took your site down (glad to see it's back btw) and it rocks!

Also, I love the pictures of the meta-types (what happened the the elf?) and "What samurai can do."

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 3 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #11

Shadow Cartographer

Thanks. You're probably right on the level of flavour. I may revise it, or more likely just write something else to go with it. As regards the elf, I didn't put one in because I was running out of space and it seemed a bit less important than the others. But I have one around here somewhere with both an elf and a Hell Hound (bigger than you think). I was going to put a dragon on there which I never got round to. I'll see if I can dig it out though.

What Would Samurai Do? is now up there again. I'll do another version of that with metatypes when I have the time.

Cheers for the feedback,

-K.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Jan 3 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

The 'Racism' file is pure digital WIN, knasser. :D

+Quote Post
knasser
post Jan 4 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #13

Shadow Cartographer

Thank you. I think I'm going to write something else, then. Will have a think what to do next. :)

-K.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.