Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 3 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,297

Staring out the window he thought, The sun rises as it as it has for thousands of years. It appears as if a ball of red and orange fire has come to set itself in the sky. I can understand why the ancients believed that it was either a god or the wheel of a god's chariot. Yes, Apollo must have been honored to have the sun as his symbol. He stares at his reflected green eyes, dark hair and aquiline nose. Yes, the statue should be added to my collection.

He notices that his reflection is marred by a streak in the glass of his penthouse apartment. Turning to his left, Marsden, have the glass cleaners fired.

A middle-aged man nods, Yes, sir. Will there be anything else sir?

Yes, have the car brought around, I want to take a drive.

Would you like the Benz, the Lamborghini or the Limo, Sir?

No, I want the other car.

Very good, Sir. He has business to attend to that does not bear him being noticed. I had best call Captain Hood over at the Star and remind him of his loyalties.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 3 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #3

Runner

A non-descript car pulls out of the Druid Hills Country Club and heads back into town. Toward the back of the development where the less expensive but only slightly less impressive homes were located, a stocky dwarf stands watching through his curtains.

I know just the two that can pull this off. He picks up his comm to make the call when he is interrupted.

Digger, I'm getting cold.

It can wait until morning. With a smile on his face, Just stay in bed, I'll warm you up in a minute.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 3 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #4

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Looking into the glass, Dalton's head swam in the amber liquid contained therein. He looked up and across the bustling pub, listening to the throng of voices as they echoed in his head. He recognized any number of the people within, including Jenny. He's not quite sure why she caught his eye, but she did.

She was a pretty girl, though not drop dead gorgeous. She had a confidence though. A self assurance. She didn't need anyone and anyone she chose was lucky. Her eyes are deep green wells leading somewhere deep into her soul-

"Another one Tank?" Dalton looked up as Jimmy the owner and sometimes bartender of the Fire Cracker called Dalton by his street name.

Dalton, aka Tank, replied, "Youse knows I used to drives a tank?"

"Only heard that story a hundred times. Maybe you best call it a night Tank."

Dalton looked down at the glass, then lifted it to his lips and swallowed the remaining amount. He'd come here for a reason... What was it....? Oh yea, to talk to Tommy about work. He looked around when Jimmy's voice distracted him yet again.
"Another one?"

That was all it took for Dalton's train of thought to be derailed. "One for the's road my good barkeep."
----------------
The light streaked in the windows. Dalton pulled the covers over his face as if he was a vampire then grunted. Damn! Forgot to talk to Tommy!

He crawled towards the kitchen and slowly, deliberately assembled a cocktail of imitation tomato juice, powdered eggs, aspirin, ibuprofin, pepto-bismal and water. His own hanger remedy.

Looking over to the corner of the sun visible in the window he called out as if expecting an answer, "What the hell are you looking at?"

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 3 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #5

Man Behind the Curtain

Eric sat in the park as warm spring wind blew through the trees. I think May is one of my favorite months. He watched a group of teens playing a game of football over his left shoulder and an addict scoring whatever his chemical needs are over his right. Not my battle.

He turned and looked across the street at the store fronts and the throng of people walking up and down the street going about their business. The Osco sign reminded him to get some floor cleaner on the way home.

Looking further down the street his eyes stop at the metahuman outreach center that opened recently. It is with some nostalgia that he looks at this building, feeling that had some small part in its creation by changing the path of its founders. After a moment of pride, like a god-parent feels, he got up and headed down the street to the bus stop.

He located a seat in the back and slid in. He occupied his mind with the buildings, streets and people they passed as he rode across town to his transfer. A quarter hour wait and he was off again to his final destination.

Just before arriving, obscured by the seats and in the back of the bus, Eric washed a wave of mana across his body causing his cloths to shift and meld. They changed from the street clothes common to the majority of the population to more trendy shamanistic appearing clothes. He stepped off the bus, crossed the street and walked down the block to a little shop called "Moon & Stars".

Bolo greeted him with a wave and smile, "I got a copy of Mountain Man in a City today."

He'd been waiting for a copy of that. It is a printed copy of the memoirs of an eagle shaman who traveled the cities of the CAS in the early 60's. His insights on air spirits are rumored to be very thought provoking.

As Bolo approaches he notes for a moment the baggy clothes she wears and her gaze on him. A small smile slipped out as he realized she was assensing him. For now, he had decided to keep his secret. She would probably see the spell signature residue on his clothes, but she was on her own to determine the root cause of it.
-------
He left the shop, the new book tucked into his the large, inside pocket in his vest. I like that spell more and more each day.

He elected to walk the short distance home. Looking at the time in AR, he realized he needed to stop lolli-gagging and move with a purpose. He had a meeting with Tanya tonight to discuss a little tidbit of information he learned about the a certain councilmen earlier in the week. He thought about Tanya's attractive form and melodic voice. Perhaps tonight would be the night he asked her out... or perhaps like every other meeting before, not....

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 4 2008, 04:26 AM
Post #6

Runner

There is a text message on the comms for both Eric and Tank.

>>>09-MAY-2070, 0312<<<
Your dinner reservations at Casita Mia have been confirmed for 1900. Please remember that dress is business casual. Mr. Johnson sends his regards and says that he may be delayed a bit.

- Reservation Confirmations, a Double D subsidiary.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 4 2008, 05:24 AM
Post #7

Man Behind the Curtain

Eric stops and looks at the message. Tonight was gonna be the night... Really... He proceeds into his apartment and sits down at the table.
<<@Tanya [Book] Tanya - I fear I must beg for a rain check. Circumstances have conspired against us and I'm am being called away to work.>>
-----
By the middle of the afternoon, Dalton had made his way to Reilly's Diner. He was relishing in having a few minutes to make time with Jenny. The call insured that he wouldn't be making any time this evening.

He finished his sandwich, paid and lingered a moment. He almost started spouting a choice piece of Latin poetry. A customer entering the cafe snapped him out of his stupor and herded him on his way.
-------
Tank picked up Book from the little coffee shop on Marshal at 1800 prompt.

The shaman was dressed in khakis and a polo, his armor jacket over his arm. Book looked at the worn jeans and t-shirt Tank was wearing. "What are you wearing?"

The former soldier looked over. "Casual clothes.. what are you wearing?"

The shaman shook his head. "This is casual... that is street..."

Tank started to argue yet again, then realized his clothes were changing. He raised an eyebrow, "Those were my favorite pants... This better not be permanent.."

Book simply sat back and smiled, then looks back over to the driver for one last statement that would insure silence for the rest of the drive. "You drink anything other than water tonight.... I'll turn you into a worty old woman who looks like she just fell out of Oz...."

Tank considered his options, none good. Worse yet he was not only sure Book could do it but he probably would... The only question left was, But would it be permanent like the change to the clothes...?
-----
The duo arrived at Casita Mia with a full 15 minutes to spare. Tank began to take his Ares but again, a stern look from Book and that idea was also quashed. "You're not gonna let me have any fun, are you?"

Book doesn't even answer as the pair head to the front door.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 4 2008, 05:44 AM
Post #8

Runner

Casita Mia is one of the nicer restaurants in the downtown area. The menu is a mix of Southern, Cajun and of course Mexican food. Residing on the ground floor of a large and expensive apartment complex, Casita Mia is well cared for and very clean. The decay evident in other areas of downtown is noticeably absent.

The valet takes Tanks' keys and gestures toward the door. The doorman smiles at the pair of them as he opens the door. His eyes linger on Tank for a moment more than is comfortable.

The hostess is wearing a form fitting black dress and a million megawatt smile. She asks, Reservations?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 4 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #9

Man Behind the Curtain

Book starts to speak up, but Tank begins to use some of his newly acquired social graces with the waitress after noticing the disapproving glances to this point. Tank smiles a genuine smile and moves slightly closer, though not enough to make her uncomfortable.
"Sweetheart, we are here for the Johnson party... Were you on the trid-show CAS Next Top Model?"

Book rolls his eyes a bit at Tank's efforts to cheese into her graces. At least he's not ordering drinks...

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 4 2008, 03:18 PM
Post #10

Runner

She smiles at the compliment. Ah, yes. Her too blue eyes loose focus as she checks the AR guest list. OK, here you are. Josiah P. Johnson has a booth for seven o'clock. Please wait a moment and allow me to ensure that it is ready. Would you gentlemen like a drink or cocktail while you wait?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 6 2008, 04:39 AM
Post #11

Man Behind the Curtain

Tank starts with a "Y-"...

...only to be cut off by Book, "Water with lemon with be wonderful." He looks to Tank as he talks to her, "For both of us."

Tank turns to the shaman not happy at being cut off. However, the lack of humor on Book's face convinces him to remain quiet... for the moment.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 6 2008, 05:19 AM
Post #12

Runner

Very good. Please follow me. She leads the two through the restaurant to a booth near the back, away from the kitchen along the exterior wall. The booth has a good view of the kitchen as well as the front door.

I'll have your drink brought right out. Please review the AR menu and let your server know if you have any questions.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 6 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #13

Man Behind the Curtain

Tank steps up ahead of Book to follow the comely hostess through the restaurant, admiring her svelte figure with each sashay of her hips. As he passes a table where the occupants are enjoying a martini, he nearly reaches out to grab of the drinks off the table. Focus on the job.. Focus on the job..... He smiles as he comes to a compromise.. Celebrate after we get the retainer.

Book on the other hand is losing his patience with his partner's cravings. He noticed the man's gaze stray from the backside of the hostess to the glasses and linger a moment too long. The man has a problem... A serious problem.

The two sit at the table, Tank thanking her with a smile and a wink.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 6 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #14

Runner

A young man brings water to the table. He says, Annette will be here in a minute. With that the young ork heads back tot he kitchen.

About five minutes later a plump, middle-aged elf comes over to the table. In a thick southern drawl she says, Good evenin'. My name's Annette and I'll be taking care of y'all tonight. Mr. Johnson called to say that he is stuck in traffic and will be here in a few. He told me to tell y'all to go order and order what ya want of the menu - he's got the bill. I'd say to order the fillet o'catfish if you asked me. She smiles and waits for their answers.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 6 2008, 07:36 PM
Post #15

Man Behind the Curtain

Book smiles. Catfish. Mmmmm "Wonderful"

Tank says, "A good domestic always goes well with catfish."

"Not today it doesn't. We'll stick with water." Book injects.

Tank's patience begins to wear, but he restrains for the sake of the run. In a considerably more dour tone, "Yea.. Water.... Mmmm..."

Book, still happy with catfish being the night's recommendation, doesn't even notice. "Hush puppies, beans and dirty rice." He smiles at the server, anxious to taste the fare.

"Yea. Two of those."

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 6 2008, 08:51 PM
Post #16

Runner

Sounds like we got some folks that like southern cooking. I'll let the chef know. With that she is gone.

About ten minutes later you see two men enter the restaurant. One is a white middle-aged human, the other is a black ork of indeterminable age. Both are dressed in khaki slacks with blazers. The human has a dark blue turtleneck on under his darker color blazer. The ork is wearing a pink T-shirt under his. Both are clean shaven and walk with purpose. They head directly to the table where you are sitting. Shortly after they arrive so does the catfish. It would appear that all four of you have similar tastes.

Now that he is seated you can determine that the gleam in the ork's eyes was his eyes - they are solid silver. The human eyes appear normal other than the fact that the iris is grey.

The ork says, I suggest we eat before we talk. The human nods his agreement.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 7 2008, 03:16 AM
Post #17

Man Behind the Curtain

Both Tank and Book nod and eat quietly. Tank several times wants to start a conversation, but fails to find something witty to say so instead keeps quiet. He liked the ork's eyes, but couldn't bring himself to every get his body modded... and now that Book had informed him that he was not only magical but gaining strength.... Well, Book said that cyberware and bioware corrupted the magic.

During the meal Tank followed those thoughts. Perhaps Book is just messing with me and I'm not magical at all. After all, I'm not [i]Bruce Lee nor am I super fast, nor do I have flaming hands or any of that stuff....[/I]

Book just ate his meal, taking an opportunity to assense the Johnsons when able.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 7 2008, 04:22 AM
Post #18

Runner

As the meal comes to an end, the ork picks up a toothpick and asks, I assume that you are interested in business? He waits a moment then continues, My partner will cover the details.

The human clears his throat and begins, I assume that you are familiar with extractions? Good. I represent a party that has need of your services. No one is to be hurt and a bonus is available to you if there is no trace of your passing. If you are interested at this point, I will continue: otherwise, you are free to leave. He folds his arms and waits for a response.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 7 2008, 04:46 AM
Post #19

Man Behind the Curtain

With the ice now broken Tank starts with a subdued belch, followed by a smile. "I'm all for bonuses... and I've not heard anything to make me walk away yet, though I've not heard numbers or opposition details."

Book retains his cool demeanor, leaving the class clown routine to Tank. He also noted the unease the Johnson's appear to have due to the missing small talk and seeks to rectify that. "Let me start by thanking you for the meal. It was excellent." He wipes his mouth with the cloth napkin. "Extractions are one of our specialties." Considering they had only actually worked one run together, that statement was no more false than true. "And I personally prefer work that is quiet and non-violent. Like my direct colleague, I will need to better understand the pay and opposition details to make an informed decision."

Tank made note of Book's maneuvering and began to see the social interaction as a tactical engagement. His natural and magically enhanced social skills and attributes began to take over for his conscious mind. He changed his body language in response to the subtle reactions of the Johnsons and adjusted the tone, inflection and content of his dialog. "You were recommended to us as stand up guys and since we are here, I assume our reputations are the same." He subconsciously opens his arms, resting them on the table and retains his good old boy smile. "Lay out the next set of details and we can begin to discuss what it will take to achieve your desired results."

Book looks to Tank out of the corner of his eyes. Where did this guy come from and where did he hide Dalton?

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 7 2008, 05:10 AM
Post #20

Runner

The human smiles as Tank speaks again. Very well. The extraction is relatively simple. You are to remove a statue of Apollo from the High Museum of Art. Outside of weight, the statue should be willing to come with you. It is on loan from the Vatican for the next three months. Security will be, understandably tight. Here is a picture of the statue. He transmits a copy of the image.

The pay is 5000 each with half now and half upon completion. The bonus if there are no traces is another 5000 to be split as the two of you see fit - after completion of course. Do you have any questions?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 7 2008, 01:02 PM
Post #21

Man Behind the Curtain

Book looks at the task very skeptical, then types out a message to Tank in AR; His hands under the table.
<<@Tank [Book] This is a problem. We will need a diversion, hacker support and a means to just move the statue. I do not have the levitate spell.>>

Tank says, "Allow us a moment to confer." He then looks to Book as he types, keeping his exterior calm.
<<@Book [Tank] Can you get it, the levitate spell?>>

<<@Tank [Book] It doesn't work like that. The mysteries are revealed in Snake's time frame, not mine. You will need to negotiate for considerably more. We will need to bring at least one contractor to hand the matrix. I can get a few earth elementals to move it, but that will be thousands in binding materials. And what the hell does no traces mean? We may need to break a door or cage down to get it out... I imagine spending some time in my lodge when this is over hiding from astral tracking.>>

Tank weighs the situation in his mind for a moment, the military tactician augmented by the very valid points from Book. The costs would be more and Johnsons never liked opening the purse... On the other hand, they always low balled you. "We can do this, but we there will be some considerable expenses and we will need to subcontract a few elements of the engagement. Before I quantify that into numbers, I need you to quantify 'no traces'. Does that mean you sign of who did this, we got it got out and no idea who created this mess...? Or does it mean: no damage to the museum, the statue just vanished? And what is our time frame?"

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 8 2008, 05:00 AM
Post #22

Runner

My client would like the statue within the next two weeks. The bonus would be for the perfect crime - the "inside job". Otherwise, you may simply steal the statue. Make a mess if you must; however, you must minimize any damage to the structure. One rather unpleasant fellow suggested that he could, how did he phrase it?

He turns to the ork who responds, Blow a hole in the wall and drive out with it.

Ah, yes. Nasty thought that. Does that answer your questions?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 8 2008, 05:21 AM
Post #23

Man Behind the Curtain

Tank smirked at Blow a hole in the wall. "Definitely for that money we could make a big mess of things. For subtly, we're gonna need to bring in a matrix contractor. So if we run 5k each times 3, I think can make this happen."

He looks to Book who nods in agreement.

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jan 8 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #24

Runner

After a moment the mans says, That is agreeable. Do we have a deal?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 8 2008, 05:29 AM
Post #25

Man Behind the Curtain

Tank reaches out to shake their hands. "I believe we do."

+Quote Post

38 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.