MaxHunter
post Jan 9 2008, 05:16 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

And yes, I do have Shadows of Europe...

The year is 2062 and my group of players are planning on relocating their operations to somewhere away from the American continent. -They still have to escape from Ares hit squads and survive a deal with their Yamatetsu handlers- However, If everything comes out nicely, (some) of them will skirt Seattle and hopefully start afresh in a new place.

I had suggested Hong Kong, but these characters would be too conspicuous. As one of them is actually a German dwarf and another has a fixer with a couple German connections, I know they will move under Lofwyr's shadow...

The thing is, I have to plan the campaign ahead and have something there to welcome them. I still don't know what city to use and which "flavor" and plot elements I could make the most of there.

I was considering Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt or the Rhine Rhur Megaplex.

Have you ever played any campaigns there? Are you from Germany? Have you got any used or unused German runs you can tell me? Maps? I am still undecided on what kind of environment I want to build. The only conditions I imagine are that: it should not be a corporate enclave, Ares presence should be weak or nonexistent and it should have enough space to keep recently arrived elite group of shadowrunners busy and happily in the shadows.

They will probably use the city as a staging ground for Europe based runs so loose borders and bribable customs could be useful too. (mmm... this sounded interesting... maybe I post this as a IC post in the "welcome to the shadows section)

Anyway, help, stories and inspiration appreciated. "War Stories" most welcome (¿Run stories?)

Cheers!

Max

P.S. I have never been to Germany nor I speak the language, and neither do any of my players. We are quite keen on reading enciclopedias, though :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2008, 09:58 AM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

i'd suggest Hamburg . . mainly because i am living there at the moment and have done so for over 3 fourths of my life but also because it is the only city in which a rigger can get to actually use a mini sub to get through town ^^
also there's smuggeling galore to get in and out of the city and it is not directly under golden snouts nose . .

+Quote Post
TW
post Jan 9 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 677

I'd say Hamburg is your best bet. It has the right mix of barren and safe areas. It's a good entry point into the AGS and has the port and its smugglers, the vory etc. aside from the 'regular' shadowrunner atmosphere.

Rhine-Ruhr is pretty much in Lofwyr's grip - though Ares presence is limited because of that - and has corporate enclaves by the dozen. However, the udnerworld war between the italian mob and the other syndicates in the area might be interesting to play up.

Berlin is half corporate enclaves, half anarchist containment zone. That setting appeals to some, others rather avoid it.

Frankfurt is mostly corporations, Munich is, too, in addition, Munich is very ritzy and glamorous.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

munich is also in the free state of bavaria which is, if i remember, basically little japan only worse because of the church when it comes to metahumans, cyber/bio and magic . . of course, that could have changed from 3rd to 4th . .
also, the city named wuppertal would be worth mentioning . . they pretty much just built the city over the river wupper and as this place is more and more barrens the deeper you get it is basically the german equivalent to the orc underground in seattle i'd say . . also, if you dig that kinda stuff in the rhein/rhur area there are those old coal mines where supposedly there shall be an subterranean dwarven kingdom beneath one of them . . of course nothing definite, mostly fluff from one or two shadowrun novels *g*

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 9 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

I´ll second Hamburg. Nice town, has a waterfront (you did not specify that, but it is important IMO). 4.6 million citizens, so it is large enough.

Any information you need? I don´t own Shadows over Europe, but I can make it up with Germany in the Shadows II.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 9 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (MaxHunter)
I was considering Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Frankfurt or the Rhine Rhur Megaplex.

Go for Hamburg - it's the only one of those detailed in Runner Havens.

Corporate Enclaves then features Europort, so that adds in nicely.

+Quote Post
sinthalix
post Jan 9 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,483

I spent 9 years over there and I'm partial to Karlsruhe, Frankfurt, and Westrhein-Luxembourg (since I lived in those areas). The last would be a pretty good area for your dwarf (43% dwarven population...from the good ole Germany Sourcebook). If you can get your hands on the Germany Sourcebook, it has a lot more info (and better maps) than Shadows of Europe (of course it's much, much older). The German version (Deutschland in den Schatten) is even better (IMO). I still have to get my hands on the second one they released. I have a bunch of German adventures...but they're all in German so they won't do you much good.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jan 9 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (sinthalix)
The German version (Deutschland in den Schatten) is even better (IMO).  I still have to get my hands on the second one they released.

Try to collect all four:
  • Deutschland in den Schatten
  • Chrom & Dioxin
  • Walzer, Punks & Schwarzes ICE
  • Deutschland in den Schatten II
Although the country description for Switzerland (in C&D) and Austria (in WPsI) don't fully match those in Shadows of Europe...

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 9 2008, 02:06 PM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

Yes, there are four of them. DidS2 is still "Nice to have" for germany campaigns, the others you can do without. I assume Shadows over Europe reduces interest in DidS2 further than time did (at least for non-locals).

+Quote Post
Eurotroll
post Jan 9 2008, 02:18 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 13,215

I'll echo the previous posters and suggest Hamburg as your entry point. I'm running a street-level campaign there and the "pirate nest" atmosphere is a blast to elaborate on. (Basically I consider the entire southern half of the city -- the half-sunken ghettos and underwater smuggling hideouts -- to be sort of like Tortuga. On Jazz. With semi-automatics instead of muskets. You get the idea. ;) )

The latent anti-corp feelings of both the man on the street and the political upper crust also allow for many different run opportunities, such as, in politik-speak, reducing undue influences in the political sphere (wetwork hits on lobbyists), infrastructural reorganisations (hooding for the good of the ghetto), and high-priority evaluations of emergent crises (corp espionage). Add pirate and smuggling opportunities in the North Sea, where you can prey on or trade with London, Europort or the Scandinavian Union, excursions into continental Europe, and you'll be hard-pressed to run out of material.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #11

The ShadowComedian

basically, hamburg has about everything there is . . even one or two smaller arcologies(proteus i think has an arcoblock somewhere in the flooded/port area) if i am remembering correctly . . but not one of the big players is really seated there somehow O.o
of course they will have fillials there, but no high security thingies like high tech science workshops or something like that. There's the port and there's the old florist park "planten un blomen"(plants and flowers) where the hamburg university keeps magical active plant-stuff from more or less all around the world . . and of course let's not forget Hagenbecks Tierpark(big old zoo even today) where they have a large variety of critters i think . . oh, and the swimming slums of wild east end are noteworthy too as they can be basically reconfigured/moved to somewhere else on more or less short notice . . i am not really sure if the old Radio/TV-Tower is still there/active as of Shadowrun(today it's basically abandoned as nobody wants to pay the high[fitting] rent for the little space pretty much high up on it) . . and Big Willi the Hamburg pendant to either alcatraz or Las-Vegas(i am not really sure which one of those is true at the moment *g*)
anybody remember the old batman live action series with the BIFF, Boff, Kapow and the such? the villains lairs were somehow allways shown in a weird tilted manner . . you actually can do that in hamburg as parts of the city have sunken lower on some parts *g*
then there's the obligatory gang of ghouls . . something like the dump called rat's nest is there in . . i think altona too . . and of course the more or less actual fleet of smugglers with their hovercrafts, submarines and other such nice things . .
and of course, who could forget the (in)famous red mile? in SR3 that one is either flooded or closer to amsterdams red light destrict *g*

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 9 2008, 05:28 PM
Post #12

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (MYST1C)
Try to collect all four:

• Chrom & Dioxin

Although the country description for Switzerland (in C&D) and Austria (in WPsI) don't fully match those in Shadows of Europe...

That would be five, including Brennpunkt: ADL (Target: AGS).

The only SR4 releases of late Fanpro were München Noir (Munich Noir) and SOX.

QUOTE (MYST1C)

Given that SoE is a much saner approach, that's not really a bad thing.

+Quote Post
sinthalix
post Jan 9 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (MYST1C)
QUOTE (sinthalix)
The German version (Deutschland in den Schatten) is even better (IMO).  I still have to get my hands on the second one they released.

Try to collect all four:
  • Chrom & Dioxin

That's what I get for leaving the country...now I'll have to spend more Euros on shipping and handling!

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 10 2008, 11:48 AM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I'm joining the "take Hamburg"-crowd. The sprawl is huge, allows for many different kind of runs and has a very active political scene (btw, what happened to the Hafenstrasse?).
Getting in and out of the city shouldn't be a problem and the other german sprawls Rhine-Ruhr and Berlin are nearby, same for Europort.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 10 2008, 11:59 AM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

The proximity of the other sprawls is something you should take note of, indeed. You can reach every german town within a couple of hours, even by train.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 10 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

you just have to cross several borders between each of those cities and bavaria is more or less off limits *g*
what happened to the hafenstraße?
the harbour/port-street?
i'd hazard a guess that the street became part of the port/harbour when the flood came by *g*

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 10 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #17

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Ryu)
The proximity of the other sprawls is something you should take note of, indeed. You can reach every german town within a couple of hours, even by train.

Yup, distances are much smaller in Germany then in the US. And even though there are some borders to cross before the runners may enter R-R or Berlin, it's not like there are border patrols on every inch.

@Stahlseele: You know... Hafenstrasse... Not just "the street close to the harbor". :D

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 10 2008, 03:26 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

yes, of course i know, but still,i think that part of town has been pretty much changed to at least venetian look *g*

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jan 10 2008, 04:58 PM
Post #19

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (sinthalix)
I spent 9 years over there and I'm partial to Karlsruhe, Frankfurt, and Westrhein-Luxembourg (since I lived in those areas).  The last would be a pretty good area for your dwarf (43% dwarven population...from the good ole Germany Sourcebook).

...lived for a while south of Karlsruhe. Small town between there and Rastatt named Ötigheim. Was there on a student exchange programme while in secondary school 35 years ago. I remember the train service was amazing, there were more trains that stopped there than we have serving Portland OR today. I also remember many an evening at the Rose Club and Gasthaus "Zum Tell". I'm sure a lot has changed since.

[/Entgleisen]

:grinbig:

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 10 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #20

Great, I'm a Dragon...

QUOTE (Stahlseele)
yes, of course i know, but still,i think that part of town has been pretty much changed to at least venetian look *g*

If the houses are not completly underwater, they've probably become a hotspot for smugglers and anarchist. I know that I've read about it in one of the german sourcebooks.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 10 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

even those that HAVE been submerged are good hideouts, if you don't mind getting wet and investing some work into making it water-tight . . then just pump out the water, dry it up with some heat and use some soap to get the stink out and you have one heck of a good hiding place . . or submarine hangar or something like that *g*

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 10 2008, 07:05 PM
Post #22

Great, I'm a Dragon...

That can be said for most of the flooded city and woulnd't make the Hafenstrasse special. But a network of dedicated, politcally motivated tough guys living in a community is another kind of game...

+Quote Post
sinthalix
post Jan 10 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
QUOTE (sinthalix)
I spent 9 years over there and I'm partial to Karlsruhe, Frankfurt, and Westrhein-Luxembourg (since I lived in those areas).  The last would be a pretty good area for your dwarf (43% dwarven population...from the good ole Germany Sourcebook).

...lived for a while south of Karlsruhe. Small town between there and Rastatt named Ötigheim. Was there on a student exchange programme while in secondary school 35 years ago. I remember the train service was amazing, there were more trains that stopped there than we have serving Portland OR today. I also remember many an evening at the Rose Club and Gasthaus "Zum Tell". I'm sure a lot has changed since.

[/Entgleisen]

:grinbig:

The mass transit system was great just about everywhere I lived. All I had to do was walk to the nearest bus stop and I could get anywhere.

The night life in all those places was also awesome! The nightlife in Karlsruhe included places like Das Krokodil above ground and a short distance away (down some steps) Der Krokokeller. At one time, there was even a club built in an abandoned part of the U-bahn...can't remember what it was called. There were several more, but it's been a while and things change.

Frankfurt had (and probably still has) too many to mention...but enough areas to just imagine doing biz in shadows.

Bitburg was cool because they took the old US air base and converted many of the buildings into new uses: fighter shelters into themed bars/concert halls, the chapel into a bar, and the fitness center into a strip club.

Each of these areas has old bases (or some still active bases today) that have been converted into something else. Depending on the GM's timeline, some may hide secrets still undiscovered for the intrepid runners.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Jan 10 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #24

Great, I'm a Dragon...

It's important to note that the US army had been stationed in the southwestern part of Germany, while in other parts british and french troops were, but not as much as the US ones.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jan 10 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #25

Awakened Asset

You need to consider limited space in more than intercity travel times.

Our flats and houses are smaller. With the SSG lifestyle creation system, everyone saved money on space... a whole category lower.

But the buildings are different, much more solid walls, nearly all made of stone.

And in former West Germany, there is a village of 1500+ citizens every 4 km (sometimes farther, often closer). The swamped, toxic part of germany would be exempted of course.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.