Reply to this topicStart new topic
> pain threshold and combat drugs, rules questions
Riley37
post Jan 19 2008, 07:29 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,319

There is a Positive Quality for high pain threshold, and a few other paths to similar effect, notably combat drugs, stim patches, and the Pain Resistance adept power. In what ways do these add (stack)? If someone has High Pain Threshold 3, Pain Resistance 3, applies a Rating 3 stim patch, and takes a dose of Kamikaze, can they ignore 12 boxes of damage before taking would penalties?

I'm inclined to say that stim patches don't add to other drugs, just take the highest applicable rating from pharmaceuticals, but that a person with the Quality and/or power who also takes a drug/patch does get an effect from the drug/patch.

What happens if someone takes Kamikaze and Nitro at the same time? If the GM requires a test to resist system shock, say BOD (3), and the user survives, do the effects stack? I'd say that the STR bonus remains at +2, rather than stacking to +4. What about taking Kamizake/Nitro with Cram/Jazz? Seems an obvious combo for those who want to be faster AND stronger in a fight.

I'm amused by the +1 CHA effect of Novacoke: a magician can bond 1 extra spirit while under the influence; when the mage comes down, does one of her bound spirits say "You're not so much fun now" and break the bond? I can also see mages taking drugs to increase their Drain Resistance pools while spirit binding, since several drugs give bonus to Willpower. If a mage alternates between them, is the mage any less likely to get addicted?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jan 19 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #2

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

What happens if someone takes Kamikaze and Nitro at the same time? If the GM requires a test to resist system shock, say BOD (3), and the user survives, do the effects stack? I'd say that the STR bonus remains at +2, rather than stacking to +4. What about taking Kamizake/Nitro with Cram/Jazz? Seems an obvious combo for those who want to be faster AND stronger in a fight.

I'd allow the stacking, up to the modified maximum. It depends on which drugs, but IRL there are many drugs that have a synergistic effect, producing greater effects than either alone could. For example, if you combine Ibuprofen with Tylenol, you get greater pain relief than megadosing on one or the other.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Jan 21 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,589

QUOTE (Riley37)
I'm amused by the +1 CHA effect of Novacoke: a magician can bond 1 extra spirit while under the influence; when the mage comes down, does one of her bound spirits say "You're not so much fun now" and break the bond? I can also see mages taking drugs to increase their Drain Resistance pools while spirit binding, since several drugs give bonus to Willpower. If a mage alternates between them, is the mage any less likely to get addicted?

If I may steal a line from Brokeback Mountain "Spirits don't fall in love with shamans because they're fun!"

For the Awakened, Charisma isn't just the intangible something that makes you like a person that it is to a Face. Charisma is an intangible, but not unnoticeable, connection between the magician and the astral realm. While on Novacoke that bond is strengthened, though artificially. It does not make the astral connection any less real than an Improved Initiative spell makes a person less quick.
But when you crash, that bond is broken, and you either lose control of that spirit, or it is no longer compelled by forces beyond it's control to obey your every beck and call.

In terms of addiction, fluctuating between drugs is no less likely to prevent addiction than switching between cocaine and Oxycotton. While they may be on opposite ends of the spectrum, addiction doesn't work like positive and negative numbers. I would apply the same rules of addiction listed in the BBB irregardless of what fluctuation your character was using.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.