IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gen-Con Indy Information?, Better Early than Late...
Mugzy
post Jan 23 2008, 12:34 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: 50 Clicks north of Dragon City (Front Range Free Zone)
Member No.: 6,896

Just throwing a post up here to see if anyone has any early warning Gen-Con info.

I'm going to be completing my commando writeup in the next week or so, and if possible I'd like to know where to go to volunteer GM for the granddaddy of all gaming cons.

I saw that last year, organizers were in search of a few GM's out there for various cons.

I know not a lot has been put in stone (Or probably even on paper) yet, and its 8 months off, but a little pre-planning never hurt anyone.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Jan 23 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,910

Drop the_dunner a line and he can put you in touch with the appropriate people, or see if you can dig up Moo's email addy. IIRC, Dunner is the Shadowrun Commando guru--the responsibilities for managing the commandos were divided between Shadowrun and Battletech GMs.

As a returning GM, I'd like to say: welcome aboard, I'm sorry, we really are all well-adjusted individuals in our own lives, and may whatever God you worship have pity on your soul. :D

It really is a lot of fun. (And for the record, we began planning GC '08 during GC '07...Writing has been in process for awhile.)

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 24 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #3

Technomancer

Group: Former Moderators
Member No.: 3,374

Good to have you on board for GenCon Indy '08, Mugzy. I look forward to meeting you :D

'Course, I've found that such feelings don't always go both ways ......

:cyber:

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 24 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Man Behind the Curtain

Member No.: 3

You said what we were all thinking.
*Ducks*

Just kidding....

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 24 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #5

Technomancer

:D

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jan 24 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

I keep considering throwing my hat back in the ring to help run stuff, but... Then I remember what free time and fun are like :)

Good luck guys. Caine, Eidolon, and I'll be around to hassle you and taunt you with booze. :] Maybe we can even get Fisty there this year! :)

Bull

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jan 24 2008, 03:51 PM
Post #7

MechRigger Delux

Member No.: 1,657

OH! We're playing Taunt the GMs again this year? can we use airsoft this time? Or bricks.. how bout bricks???

Welcome to hel.. I mean, welcome aboard Mugzy... You'll have sooooo much fun it'll take you a week to get better (and loads of antibiotics) :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 24 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Maybe this year I'll get into some Shadowrun (besides a LARP).

...of course, I've been saying that for three Gencons, now.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 24 2008, 06:19 PM
Post #9

Technomancer

Ask a GM nicely and sometimes there's pick-up game opportunities. We're all pretty busy but you never know what's going on at 3am or something :D

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 24 2008, 06:23 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

Mugzy sign up as a commando, run a few missions for practice, and don't worry, they'll find a way to abuse you for GenCon.

I'm still a bit sore.....

And Critias, there's always something SR running somewhere at GenCon.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 24 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Man Behind the Curtain

I am gonna play in the Scramble this year!!

+Quote Post
Mugzy
post Jan 24 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

From: 50 Clicks north of Dragon City (Front Range Free Zone)
Member No.: 6,896

Thanks for the... uh.. warm.. welcome guys. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you.

As it stands I put up my signup to the commando site, and I'll be nailing down a "firebase" soon enough (one of several possible locations in the Denver to Fort Collins Area... any locals out there I'd appreciate any input as of where to go), and sending everything off for that.

I think I'll start with some of the Missions as was put forth as an idea here. I have plenty of original stuff, though as well.

Anyway, any one of you more experienced Con -GMs want to throw out a standard "day in the life" kind of thing for me to expect in this?

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 24 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Mugzy @ Jan 24 2008, 02:35 PM)
Anyway, any one of you more experienced Con -GMs want to throw out a standard "day in the life" kind of thing for me to expect in this?

Arrive Wednesday night, eat and drink at The Claddagh. Pick up badges, get rooms, eat and drink at The Claddagh. Go to rooms, drink.
Thursday run a mission/demo, meet, eat and drink at the Claddagh, tour the Vendor
Hall. Go to rooms, drink.
Friday run a mission/demo/Tournament, meet, eat and drink at the Claddagh, tour the Vendor Hall. Go to rooms, drink.
Saturday run a mission/demo/Tournament, meet, eat and drink at the Claddagh, tour the Vendor Hall. Go to rooms, drink.
Sunday run a mission/demo, meet, eat and drink at the Claddagh . Go to rooms, drink.

If you fall asleep, you never know where you'll wake up, nor what you might be wearing.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jan 25 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #14

MechRigger Delux

As much as I love Claddagh, we gotta get you kids more variety in your eateries. Although it does have your best whiskey selection in town.

Occasionally Bull's Rolling Bar and Grill ™ comes through to keep you hearty and well during the day, although we slacked soem last year. (remember kids, gatorade and MadDog do make for a wonderful time, but if you have to quit drinking before noon your day will be shot)

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jan 25 2008, 12:19 AM
Post #15

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

There is a reasonable chance I might be there as a player this year... wow. A GenCon where Im not tied to the tourny room all week? Unheard of!

And obviously Dire, you must have been doing the MooCow eh?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jan 25 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #16

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
As much as I love Claddagh, we gotta get you kids more variety in your eateries. Although it does have your best whiskey selection in town.

Occasionally Bull's Rolling Bar and Grill ™ comes through to keep you hearty and well during the day, although we slacked soem last year. (remember kids, gatorade and MadDog do make for a wonderful time, but if you have to quit drinking before noon your day will be shot)

1) Gatorade and Mad Dog?? Yuck.

Gatorade and Everclear, please. Or Gatorade and good Vodka, failing that.

2) The problem was last year the games were all spread out amongst other hotels. I'm not even sure where any of the games were. Hopefully they manage to consolidate and get a "CGL Game Room" this year.

Bull

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 25 2008, 07:06 PM
Post #17

Technomancer

Nah ... we'll have a CGL game room until about 20 hours prior to the con when they'll move us all around and, eventually, just have us running games on the 40 yard line in the stadium.

'Course, that would be damn cool.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 25 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #18

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Obviously I missed including the essential step of finding the actual game location in my description of the daily routine.

How challenging might that be? Consider that for one mission I collected a set of six pre registration tickets, each with different room assignments, which in turn differed from the registration packet, which in turn differed from the Hall monitor packets, which differed from the CGL packets. Add in the fact that the assignments aren't simply one room, but were in fact spread over 5 hotels over 8 city blocks on different floors and rooms.

After that you would need a drink.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Jan 25 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Man Behind the Curtain

There were sure a lot of frustrated people, though once they sat down and got into the game, every runner I talked to had a blast!

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jan 25 2008, 09:25 PM
Post #20

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Caine Hazen)
As much as I love Claddagh, we gotta get you kids more variety in your eateries.

I was going to say the same thing. Weber Grill, The Ram, Weber Grill, and The Ram come to mind.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jan 26 2008, 06:27 AM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Not the best of news -- according to a Gencon e-mail today they're down 30,000 feet of playing space from last year due to construction. That doesn't bode well.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jan 28 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #22

Technomancer

*grumble*

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jan 28 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #23

The Dragon Never Sleeps

If all they manage to do is at least schedule the games in the same building it would be an improvement. Bonus if we are in the same room or nearby set of rooms.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jan 28 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #24

MechRigger Delux

seeing as the company will probably not be in the middle of a big upheaval this year, I'm thinking things should be a bit smoother... though that's no guarantee that the con space won't be split through even more hotels this year and still get fuxxored.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 28 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #25

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Bah! They figure that you're playing shadowrunners, so you should be used to legwork.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 08:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.