Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick Draw, How fast/how easy?
Nightwalker450
post Jan 30 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,720

Ok, I'm trying to make the quick draw adept gunslinger. Questions I'm running into.

Quick Draw
QUOTE (BBB pg 137)
Two weapons may e quick-drawn and fired simultaneously , but this raises the threshold on the Pistols + Reaction Test to 4 (see Attacker Using a Second Firearm, p. 141).  A seperate Pistols + Reaction (4) Test is required for each pistol (threshold 3 if they are held in quick-draw holsters).

Ok, so we flip to pg 141, and it basically explains splitting your dice pool. Do you have to split your dice pool for drawing two weapons as well as suffer the +1 to the threshold for both weapons? Or is the page reference just for the subject of firing the weapons?

Quick Draw Adept Power
Seems to lower the threshold by 1 for the most part, so stack that on top of quick draw holsters (-1), and drawing two weapons (+1).. Draw both weapons with a threshold of 2 for each? I think I'm interpreting this correctly.

I don't care about points and how they could be better used, this is for a concept after all... Just questions on these rules.

And for fun, here's another part though its a GM conversation I have to have yet
Pistols (Quick Draw Specialization)
Specialization bonus applies to the drawing of the pistols, as well as all shots fired in the first turn after a quick draw.

EDIT: Turn (SR4), not Round (D&D) :P
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jan 30 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Nightwalker450)
Do you have to split your dice pool for drawing two weapons as well as suffer the +1 to the threshold for both weapons? Or is the page reference just for the subject of firing the weapons?

No. You only split the Dice Pool to use the weapons.

Quick Draw Adept Power
Seems to lower the threshold by 1 for the most part, so stack that on top of quick draw holsters (-1), and drawing two weapons (+1)..  Draw both weapons with a threshold of 2 for each?  I think I'm interpreting this correctly.

As far as I know, that is corrct. That's how it works in my games.

And for fun, here's another part though its a GM conversation I have to have yet
Specialization bonus applies to the drawing of the pistols, as well as all shots fired in the first round after a quick draw.

Not a fan, but if you like it, that's cool.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 31 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #3

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Another note, if I were your GM, if you could get your DP above 4xthreshold I'd be perfectly happy to allow you to buy hits on quickdraw tests. They might come up if you were wounded or suffering lots of other penalties, but in general I'd rather let you buy hits and just say you quickdraw whenever you want, rather than bogging the game down with quickdraw rolls, even though quickdrawing with a DP of 8 against a threshold of 2 is neither a very large pool nor a non-stressful situation. (as normally required to buy hits)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 31 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (Fortune)
Specialization bonus applies to the drawing of the pistols, as well as all shots fired in the first round after a quick draw.

I think it's a nifty idea, but change "round" into "pass". (IMO)
But beware, it still leads to potential weirdness such as reholstering your weapons in the middle of a fight just so you can get a bonus to your next shot.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Jan 31 2008, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

I thought about pass... but the idea is the unpreparedness of others. It lasts for a turn so he could really mess up someone or a group of someones with only 1 pass. And considering base rules would allow me to take "Heavy Pistol", I think its pretty fair at a single turn.

You could reholster the guns, but I'm not into that type of rules exploiting. My vision of this is more of throwing off your opponents by the "Wow" factor of going from unarmed to dual wielding Ruger Super Warhawks (btw Arsenal have a better 6-shooter?). This would of course be better done as penalty to opponents, but thats not how specialization works. But as such it would only work once per combat, or in a diminishing returns if you're doing it repeatedly against someone.

Thought about challenging a throwing adept (without quick draw power), If beat him in initiative, hold action to disarm shot whenever he goes to pull a knife. Could holster when he has nothing, but it'd be less and less surprising as he keeps making the shot.

FYI Moonhawk - Its actually based off of Roland.

Edit: Turn (SR4), not Round (D&D) :P

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jan 31 2008, 06:00 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Jan 31 2008, 12:50 PM)
I thought about pass... but the idea is the unpreparedness of others.  It lasts for a round so he could really mess up someone or a group of someones with only 1 round.  And considering base rules would allow me to take "Heavy Pistol", I think its pretty fair at a single round.

You could reholster the guns, but I'm not into that type of rules exploiting.  My vision of this is more of throwing off your opponents by the "Wow" factor of going from unarmed to dual wielding Ruger Super Warhawks (btw Arsenal have a better 6-shooter?).  This would of course be better done as penalty to opponents, but thats not how specialization works.  But as such it would only work once per combat, or in a diminishing returns if you're doing it repeatedly against someone.

Thought about challenging a throwing adept (without quick draw power), If beat him in initiative, hold action to disarm shot whenever he goes to pull a knife.  Could holster when he has nothing, but it'd be less and less surprising as he keeps making the shot.

FYI Moonhawk - Its actually based off of Roland.

Well, at the very least you should put it into some kind of SR terms. Maybe you meant a "turn", because I don't have any idea what a "round" is, because we're not playing D&D. :P Otherwise someone might reasonably conclude that you're referring to a single round of ammunition. /nitpick

Yeah, it's a matter of game balance. I suppose given the other Pistol specializations a turn isn't unreasonable.

And I'll just say again that Roland is awesome.

one sec, I'll check Arsenal for ya...

edit: Okay, there's a heavy pistol revolver that has standard heavy pistol damage, but SA rather than SS. If you've got the DP for splitting, that might be a good idea. And it's actually a 7-shooter.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Jan 31 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Has the dice pool (12 on quickdraw shot, 14 dice to actually draw), but SS will be fine enough. I prefer the old fashioned look and for an adept the less high tech the weaponry the more fitting I think.

If you use a Take Aim action does it apply bonus to both pistols, dice pool before split, or not usable with two weapons? Likewise could he use his Vision Magnification Adept Power for both. I don't see why he couldn't unless he was trying to shoot multiple targets, but wondered if anyone else had tried.

+Quote Post
Raij
post Jan 31 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,811

I really like the idea of a quick draw spec and agree that given the specs of heavy pistol or SA, an entire turn of the +2 is very tame by comparison.

Also, I have a player with a Cuthbert char in one of my games :P

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jan 31 2008, 06:33 PM
Post #9

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Quickdraw is for amateurs, anyway.
Professionals learn to Ready Weapon as a Free Action.

+Quote Post
Konsaki
post Jan 31 2008, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 8,445

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Quickdraw is for amateurs, anyway.
Professionals learn to Ready Weapon as a Free Action.

True Professionals learn that ambushing is better than either Quickdraw or Ready Weapon. :P

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.