> Programing and pure DNI
Pendaric
post Jan 31 2008, 04:42 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,047

SR3 rules if that needs stating.
In the fluff explanation why pure DNI gives deckers a bonus to speed, it say to the effect, "most users still use keyboards, touchpads and other manual interfaces. Some experts however see these as a crutch, instead choosing to use pure DNI. Doing so allows for faster interaction."

Therefore I pose the question, would it therefore not make sense that programing in pure DNI can also be done quicker?
Taking this a step further, as eight hours a day is needed for conventional programming, how much faster would working in pure DNI?

Here's the crunch for comparison: Normal reaction for manual interfaces.
Pure DNI: intelligence as reaction and +D6 initiative. Thats before hooking up a cyberdeck to your programming station for further speed bonuses.
Programming works off the MP size of the utility divided by successes on the programing test. Check Matrix for a full picture.
Normally I avoid complicating the rules further but in this case I think it might be worth looking at for further exploration, considering in game reality. For any benefit gained can always be balanced by the result of the decker getting fat from inactivity. ;)

Thoughts and suggestions invited.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 31 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

For what it's worth, I rarely find that my programming is limited by my typing speed, with the possible exception of those occasions when I'm forced to use Java.

~J

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jan 31 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

OK but checking your code twice as fast has got to make a difference.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jan 31 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Again, though, checking my code is rarely limited by reading speed.

On the other hand, I could see this permitting more expressive notation, like better use of mathematical notation and non-ASCII characters in programming. I've never used pure DNI (obviously), but I'm not sure the difference would be that big.

~J

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jan 31 2008, 08:21 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

I program too, and I agree with Kage.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Feb 1 2008, 02:02 AM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Hm. This is an interesting question, but I think for a different reason than the input/output speeds that many people are considering. You may actually be able to perform complex tasks like programming more quickly using pure DNI, but the reason would have little to do with speed of input, and more to do with the RAS override.

The word of the day here is Hypnagogia. At this point, it's more of a pseudoscience than anything particularly useful, along the lines of hypnosis, mostly because we lack the means of short-circuiting the body-brain connection while still being able to obtain useful I/O from the brain. There are hints, however, that such a state, where you are not slaved to the relatively slow read-eval-print loop of the physical body, may actually free the brain to work significantly faster.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Feb 1 2008, 05:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

My principle of thought here is why does a salariman get a data jack if does not increase productivity. And if it does increase productivity why does this not carry to programming. The implication that 2060's utilities use holograghic coding would seem to me, and its only my interpretation, that programers literaly build a utility in cyber space from holographic 3d blocks of code a la Neuromancer descriptions.

The fact a decker can throw code together fast enough with a cyber deck to throw out improv attacks and defences in cyber combat, a event that takes a fraction of a second, would seem to indicate rapid programming possibilities. Obviously most of these mechanics are for cool game play and a simplified programming method is best. But at the end of the day I like consistency throughout the system and background.

+Quote Post
Slump
post Feb 1 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,492

In an office capacity, I see DNI being a great help. Alot of time is wasted just physically manipulating the computer. Consider formatting a spreadsheet. You probably have to click and type 10 different times for each section of formating. Even with keyboard shortcuts, it still takes time, especially if you still have to move your hand off of the keyboard to use the mouse, and then back again. With DNI, you don't have to do that. Not having to use alt-tab to go between windows (or clicking on the appropriate item on the task bar) would speed things up somewhat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.