Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Essence Loss And Magic/resonance
JavaLamp
post Feb 2 2008, 01:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,336

I'm sorry if this is covered in a previous thread, but I seem to be unable to use more than one search term, so I couldn't find this topic if it's already been covered.

QUOTE (BBB pg.62)
Characeters with Magic or Resonance attributes are subject to penalties if they have an Essence lower than 6. For each point or partial point of Essence below 6, the character loses 1 full point from her Magic or Resonance and the maximum for that attribute is reduced by 1

Anyhow, the Latent Awakening talent seems to go against this, it does so obviously to allow characters with less than 6 essence to purchase it. The question is thus, at character creation, does installed cyber reduce the purchased magic rating?

I.E. Magic Man Max has opted for a Cerebral Booster and Cybereyes at character creation, He purchases a magic rating of 5, his new maximum. Does he pay 65bp or 55bp for those 4 points

I would take it as read that it does, excepting if the character history specifically includes an awakening after the cyber was installed. Is this right? It's a bit frustrating as for the first several months I thought you could purchase your magic rating as if the reduced magic rating were your max, as in reduced caps on other attributes with the various races.

-JL

This post has been edited by Redjack: Feb 2 2008, 08:58 PM
Reason for edit: Add sr4 icon
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 2 2008, 04:31 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Okay, first off, Latent Awakening has the Awakening happen during gameplay. The character starts play as a mundane. So this line of thinking:
I.E. Magic Man Max has opted for a Cerebral Booster and Cybereyes at character creation, He purchases a magic rating of 5, his new maximum. Does he pay 65bp or 55bp for those 4 points
doesn't work, because the timeline is:
Character creation: the character buys implants and has the potential to eventually Awaken, but, for now, his magic rating is 0.
Game Start
Awakening: When the GM decides, the character Awakens and gains a magic rating of 1, which can then be increased with karma in the usual manner.

Next point: A mage or TM can have any amount of cyberware they want; however, that cyber comes at a price, which you already noted. However, you can have a mage with an Essence of 3 with no problems beyond the reduced magic rating. You seemed to have misunderstood and thought that if a character's Essence dropped at all, then they could no longer take any of the Awakened or Resonant qualities, as you state, regarding the Latent Awakening quality:
it does so obviously to allow characters with less than 6 essence to purchase it.

Now, as for the
I would take it as read that it does, excepting if the character history specifically includes an awakening after the cyber was installed. Is this right? It's a bit frustrating as for the first several months I thought you could purchase your magic rating as if the reduced magic rating were your max, as in reduced caps on other attributes with the various races.

This is a judgment call on the part of the GM: if the character history stats that, for example, he Awakened as a young teen and then got a datajack when he was a student at MIT&T, his magic rating would be one less than what he paid for in terms of BP (i.e., his 40 BPs would net him a Magic of 3, and would be written on the character sheet as 4(3). However, if character history stated that he Awakened after the cyber was installed, then it would cost as normal--excepting the fact that the new maximum point would cost 25 BP.

+Quote Post
JavaLamp
post Feb 2 2008, 04:53 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,336

I think we're agreeing here on the question I had.

About Latent Awakening. I think you misunderstood me, by no means I meant that any cyberware disqualified them from taking magic/tm qualities, the question itself reveals that I'm asking about some particulars about magicians or Technomancers with cyber.

What I meant to say, regaurding Latent Awakening is that a player with Latent awakening gets that first point free when he awakens, and that first point is worth [6-essence(round up)] in extra attribute points to take them to that parenthetical magic stat.

EDIT:
And that first point isn't free, yes, they pay in karma for the rest of the quality I realize quite well
End Edit

Say it's a minor amount of essence loss... That first point of magic is a 2(1)?

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Feb 2 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

If you awaken via latent awaking as an adept during a campaign after having 5 essence worth of cyberware installed your magic score is 1 and your magic maximum (limited by essence) is 1

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 2 2008, 06:12 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

regardless of whether your character awakened before or after losing essence, if it was in chargen their actual magic rating is reduced along with their maximum. the latent awakening quality is a special exception to the rule that having less essence also reduces your current magic.

as such, a mage who wanted a net magic rating of 4 at chargen and also wants 1 point of essence worth of cyber or bioware would have to buy their magic attribute up to 5 (at a cost of 40 BP) which would then be reduced to 4 by their reduced essence.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Feb 3 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #6

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

AYe, Latent Awakening and the way you buy back burnt Edge are some of the reasons that I've house-ruled MAgic Loss so heavily.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 3 2008, 01:11 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Shrug. I just rule that Essence Loss reduces your maximum Magic/Resonance Attribute. I don't make people pay for shit they don't use.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.