IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Run Idea, but how to get players into the run?
Ganny.Harper
post Feb 3 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,300

So yes first of all, yes I'm new bought the book half a year ago loved the game, asked some friends if they would like to play and now I have a group.
Anywho I have this idea for a run which would be based on the movie 'Running Man' the idea I have so far is some run has gone wrong in aztech territory they get cought and now have to do a show where they have to fight gladiators (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My real concern is that people will think that this is railroading (something I try to avoid) and how to get them in aztech territory and make sure that they survive, as best as possible but as rule zero goes plot never survives players, so if people have any ideas that can help please post them.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 3 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #2

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The easiest way is having exactly that info as backstory for your campaign. It´s only railroading if there is only one solution for every situation.

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Feb 3 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

If you plan a run as "on this run, they will fail, be captured and put in a gladiatior pit", leaving no chance for them to successfully finish the mission, then yes, that is railroading.

If you prepare the scenario, then give them several runs, and in each one they *might* get captured, and you have the scenario ready for any time they fail by some combo of bad choices and bad luck, but they also have some possibility of succeeding each and every time, then that's good writing and planning.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 3 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I agree that itis best to just have the prologue be backstory. Just start the campaign with the runners captured

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Feb 3 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

You could always just start the run as "Previously, you were hired by company X to do Y and Z went wrong and you were captured- luckily relatively unharmed. You now have to fight for the amusement of the Aztech population, your mission is to get the hell out of this with your hides intact.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 3 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Wait, you're planning a run based on the running man?
Got a grand price waiting for the victor in the end of the tunnel?

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Feb 3 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

If this stunt is run by the Azzies, the "grand prize" for the "victor" would probably be a very nice, very public, very honorable ceremonial de... whatever the fancy name is for having your heart cut out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)

Apart from that, depending on your players, the backstory/prologue thing might be interpreted as some very strict railroading... But if your players trust you to get a good, entertaining game going nonetheless, it would save you a lot of buildup time, letting you cut straight to the real run... Skip this pretense and cut straight to dying!
Sorry, I don't know where that random emo-quote suddenly came from...

+Quote Post
Ganny.Harper
post Feb 3 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #8

Target

Grand prize will be their lives and gear, with some modifacations here and there, and a safe passage out of aztech territory.

The campaing itself is already on it's way, this is a run I'm planning but then again two players went gung-ho in a corp building bellonging to one of the triple A's so I might make a sort of revenge thing let them run a red harring where the intention is that they get cought.
There will always be the chanse of them gunning down the captors beforehand thought and if I know my players that will happen.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Feb 3 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

If you have a run like this you want to do in the middle of a campaign, the Riley37 probably has the best advice. But as it's the first game, it's probably acceptable to tell the players that you want to start the game with a particular scenario, that this is how they meet and that after this introduction which establishes setting, character, rules etc., it'll move into a more open game. Players are usually pretty understanding and you need to start the game somehow.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Feb 4 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #10

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

The runners are hired for a run outside the sprawl and when the plane lands they discover that the Johnson pulled a bait & switch on them and they can either play the game or stage a daring and almost certainly fatal escape, which also happens to be recorded for trid. Either way the corp wins and alfter it's over the Runners can sooth ayn ruffled feathers by tracking down the Johnson and making him play one of their games.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Feb 4 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #11

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Another idea is to steal one of the plothooks from New Seattle, the Runners are hired to play the game and are given "laser tag" weapons only to find out that the other side has real guns. (The plothook involved the army training base in Seattle.)

+Quote Post
DeadLogic
post Feb 4 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 15,489

Personally, I love this idea, and I think Ravor has the best scenario for getting the runners into the gauntlet. Or you make this gaunlet a known shadowsport then the players might even seek it out themselves, maybe let them know that they might earn a point or two of Street Cred for surviving. Hell, their mission could be to sabotage the games, which would have a ridiculously high chance of getting their hoop in a sling. I imagine the security system would be as lethal as the games themselves, hehehe.

+Quote Post
Velocity219e
post Feb 4 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 2,622

QUOTE (Ravor @ Feb 4 2008, 07:19 AM) *
Another idea is to steal one of the plothooks from New Seattle, the Runners are hired to play the game and are given "laser tag" weapons only to find out that the other side has real guns. (The plothook involved the army training base in Seattle.)

Because having relatively well 'trained' targets with their fangs pulled is still fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

not sure what you'd do about the mages to make their spells laser tag friendly tho... 'okay guys here's the situation, we've completely screwed you over, your weapons are fake and your opposition are shooting to kill, Good luck, oh and Mr Combat mage sir, please stick to force one stun spells as we don't want any of our guys hurt ... Thanks!'

My old group would have been Okay! I'm gunna wait till I see half a dozen dudes then Hellblast the entire area, drain be damned.

+Quote Post
Ganny.Harper
post Feb 4 2008, 05:34 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Velocity219e @ Feb 4 2008, 05:11 AM) *
Because having relatively well 'trained' targets with their fangs pulled is still fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

not sure what you'd do about the mages to make their spells laser tag friendly tho... 'okay guys here's the situation, we've completely screwed you over, your weapons are fake and your opposition are shooting to kill, Good luck, oh and Mr Combat mage sir, please stick to force one stun spells as we don't want any of our guys hurt ... Thanks!'

My old group would have been Okay! I'm gunna wait till I see half a dozen dudes then Hellblast the entire area, drain be damned.

I'm sure there are spells for that and not well then I'll just make up some supression force field which adds something like a +3 on drain tests, the mage will learn not to use to many spells.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.