Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mardi Gras, mayhaps New Orleans in general
Hocus Pocus
post Feb 6 2008, 04:42 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

It's wrapping up today, was just curious how it's treated in SR. I think I faintly remember that the whole area has a mana spike? maybe gets real big during this event?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Feb 6 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Great excuses for runs. People in costumes. People drunk. People (guards) looknig for time off work to go to a party. Lots of delivery people in and out of areas. I would ask, is it just limited to the french quarter of NO or are there small, private parties around the town/area at this time?

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 6 2008, 02:05 PM
Post #3

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

According to ShadowTalk from Smuggler Heavens the whole town is full of guests and having one great party. Sensible IMO, anyone who likes to party will party on that day.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 6 2008, 02:13 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Feb 6 2008, 05:42 AM) *
It's wrapping up today, was just curious how it's treated in SR. I think I faintly remember that the whole area has a mana spike? maybe gets real big during this event?

Temporarily raised background count might very well be an issue, ranging from at least 1 to 3 in the most densely crowded places, i'd guess, with such a mass of people partying, being drunk and making out (and, of course, also passing out).
Well, at least that's what it's like over here.
Can't say too much about how carnival is in NO, though.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Feb 6 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Don't they also do it in Rio?

(If only someone would write about the Shadows of Latin America to expand on that possibility.)

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 6 2008, 02:23 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Feb 6 2008, 03:19 PM) *
Don't they also do it in Rio?

Yes, and they don't freeze their asses off down there...plus, they get samba.

Wow, the tendency for derailing here is indeed remarkable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Feb 6 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

Having grown up in Southern Louisiana, not far from New Orleans, I can give you a few details. Mardi Gras is a huge deal in New Orleans, but it's also a big deal in Lafayette, LA, and several other locations across southern Louisiana. A lot of the heavy duty partying in NO can be found in the quarter (and not just during Mardi Gras either), but all over the city. Not to mention the out-of-town population gets astronomical. Hotel rates double, triple and sometimes even quadruple during that time. NOPD has tightened up their enforcement over the past decade, but there REALLY are just too many people to properly police. Anyone who has the slightest ability to blend can easily make themselves impossible to find among all the traffic.

Like I said, it's a big deal in other parts of the state as well. In Lafayette, the major parade route is Johnston Street, which cuts right through the middle of town, and crosses right in front of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. That street, as well as the whole college campus, completely shuts down for Mardi Gras. Parades, block parties, heavy drinking, etc., all takes up that section of town. A lot of businesses in that area shut down as well, and it's not the least bit surprising to find several dozen people crowded into an office building parking lot, dressed in Mardi Gras colors, wearing beads, getting drunk, and grilling on their portable BBQ pits.

If anyone wants any more details, just let me know.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Feb 6 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Sounds like a great area for a run. Or to blow some (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) you got for the last one.

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 6 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Or a perfect opportunity for pickpockets.
Or all of the above, plus street BBQ.

+Quote Post
Hocus Pocus
post Feb 8 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

From: In a hot tub, with lots of bubbles and champagne waiting for you.
Member No.: 1,972

yeah, there are parties through out the state and elsewhere. Here the major areas of congregation are in the New Orleans proper with major floats, think they call them super floats, rex, endymion (sp) and others. I tend not to go there anymore cause the crowds are too dense and this year especially has been quite violent with 5+ people being shot along those parade routes. My daughter wanted to go to one so we went to zues in metairie which is in the metropolitan area. Less crowded with less wild people. It was fun, took up space in a parking lot in front of a chinese restaurant next to some goth kids. The police in New Orleans are still over streatched moreso since katrina and state troopers as well as national guards are still here patrolling the more...turbulent... areas for scafflaws.

pick pockets yeah, not too long ago when i went down to the quarter for mardi gras had some obviously novice try to pilfer my wallet. thing was I only had cash and my liscense (tied in a rubber band of course) in my front pocket, he went for my back pocket and i felt it, no soup for him! wonder how he fared this year. You also have hustlers that will walk up to you and go into a song and dance about their life to try to get money from you. I like the one where he says "I bet i can tell you where you got your shoes...on your feet!" or "if i just had enough change for the bus" and the chestnut "I'll buy your shirt from you", classics all. I do like the ones that play music or tap dance, very nice, the tarot card readers and voodoo shops are kinda strange but interesting.

The way the city is still stagnant and violent with corruption through out I wouldn't be suprised if it was walled off like el infernio. Seems like almost every day politicians there are charge with malfiesance in office for one thing or another, or a whole bunch and violent deaths abound like nobody's business. But since it is a major port, guess you'd have alot of stuff coming in and out and people would be remiss to see that go, major runs there me thinks. Or everything could be underwater (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Feb 8 2008, 07:16 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I know this data goes way back, but in White Wolf Magazine issues #31-34, there are articles about SR in New Orleans and voodoo, but it is written for 1st edition, with an unofficial list of new spells. "Change Sex" in particular didn't make the cut into any of the newer editions of the game. Does it say something about me that I remember that one from 14 years ago?

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 8 2008, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Running Target

QUOTE (apollo124 @ Feb 8 2008, 08:16 AM) *
I know this data goes way back, but in White Wolf Magazine issues #31-34, there are articles about SR in New Orleans and voodoo, but it is written for 1st edition, with an unofficial list of new spells. "Change Sex" in particular didn't make the cut into any of the newer editions of the game. Does it say something about me that I remember that one from 14 years ago?

Yeah, you probably never realized one could achieve the same result with the physical mask spell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:26 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.