Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wal-Mart, First Actual Mega?
ludomastro
post Feb 7 2008, 06:46 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,297

I have issues with Wal-Mart so maybe I'm baised; however, they seem to be the most likely candidate for a SR-style Megacorp.

Wal-Mart In-store Clinic

Just thought that I would share.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Aren't Megacorps supposed to be international, as far as I know there's only Wallies in America (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Feb 7 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

When a wal-mart adds an upper floor for employee apartments (of course taking a cut out of their pay for such). Then we're another step further.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Feb 7 2008, 06:56 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 7 2008, 02:51 PM) *
When a wal-mart adds an upper floor for employee apartments (of course taking a cut out of their pay for such). Then we're another step further.

new york

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 7 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Wal*Mart, though monstrous, is not even close to being on the scale of a mega. At the time of Corporate Download, Chromed Accountant claimed that the Big Ten accounted for over half of the world gross product.

~J

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Walmart exists in 15 of the 194 nations of the world, I've been round Europe quite a bit, and i never ever even seen one.. Geez, not everything is about the big guys in east and west / Annoyed European

+Quote Post
Rasumichin
post Feb 7 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 15,648

Wal Mart tries to become international, but at least in Germany, they had to close down their operations.
People just boycotted them due to their terrible rep (and we already have Schlecker and Lidl as the exploitative store chains).

As far as megacorp behaviour is concerned, take a look at western Africa.
You know, that place where companies like Shell, Elf Aquitaine and so on hire private armies to protect their assets.
Well, in fact, everybody there hires his private army if he can afford it, up to and including tanks, artillery, helicopters and fighter jets.
No, not in 2070.
Now.

Just waiting for the day when the first real corporate war breaks out down there.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Feb 7 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 7 2008, 02:51 PM) *
Aren't Megacorps supposed to be international, as far as I know there's only Wallies in America (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStore...gate.do?catg=14

QUOTE ("walmartstores.com")
Wal-Mart’s International stores, just like those in the U.S., provide excellent customer service and convenience and they offer working families the things they need at prices they can afford. At Wal-Mart, we go to great lengths to ensure our international stores reflect the local needs and wants of our customers, and we work hard to make sure our stores are seen as vital partners in communities. This approach is the reason Wal-Mart is being welcomed into country after country around the globe, and it’s also why we have tremendous potential to continue our rapid growth internationally.
Currently, Wal-Mart International operates over 2,980 retail units and employs more than 550,000 associates in Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, and the United Kingdom. And the opportunities for growth continue. In August 2007, Wal-Mart announced an agreement with Bharti Enterprises to establish a joint venture called Bharti Wal-Mart Private Limited for wholesale cash-and-carry and back-end supply chain management operations in India. The first wholesale facility in India is targeted to open in late 2008.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 07:14 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Yeah, checked it up Crypto.. As i suspected (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) almost non-existant in Europe praise the lord that we havent been all americified

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 7 2008, 07:19 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Oh we're coming Lionhearted, you WILL embrace our apple pie eating, hamburger shitting lifestyle damnit!

OBEY!!! OBEY!!!

Besides, you guys don't even have guns. How are you going to stop us? Laws? MOO HOO! HA HA! Fools!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)
*ducks*

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 7 2008, 02:19 PM) *
Oh we're coming Lionhearted, you WILL embrace our apple pie eating, hamburger shitting lifestyle damnit!

OBEY!!! OBEY!!!

Besides, you guys don't even have guns. How are you going to stop us? Laws? MOO HOO! HA HA! Fools!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)
*ducks*

You may enslave our bodies, You might blind our eyes, You may fool our brains, but you will NEVER ever own our souls!
Three words Omae, Three words that will never stop ringing, three words that will send shivers down your pseudo-european discarded trash ass, Viva la revolution!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smokin.gif) Anarchist-4-Life

Wait a minute?
no guns, whatta.. Sweden happen to have some of the best trained, best equipped artic forces in the world.
(Had some american guys here last year, NAVY SEAL or something like that, they couldnt pass the obligatory obstacle course)
No hard feelings aight?

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 7 2008, 07:29 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 7 2008, 12:25 PM) *
You may enslave our bodies, You might blind our eyes, You may fool our brains, but you will NEVER ever own our souls!

Bodies and money is all the important parts. You can keep your souls. I understand that in Europe they belong to Allah anyhow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 07:30 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 7 2008, 02:29 PM) *
Bodies and money is all the important parts. You can keep your souls. I understand that in Europe they belong to Allah anyhow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Nah here you can't believe in god, "but I believe in something tihi" welcome to sweden the proud most atheistic country in the world

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 7 2008, 07:31 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Swedes! Bah!

Actually didn't you guys kick the crap out of the Nazi's and the Russian in a 20 year time span?

Maybe we'll leave the Swedes... For now.

And we won't own your souls until we can conjure up some decent ancestor soul binders. It's only a matter of time. EMBRACE THE BENEVOLENT BUT FIRM EMPIRE OF AMERICA! EMBRACE IT OR LIVE IN MORTAL PERIL!

Man! This feels good! Maybe I should vote of Guiliani (although I've recently become aware he dropped out. Thank god.)

I would also like to note that I would have only been shocked if you announced that you had the best equipped and trained JUNGLE force in the world. I would have also been deeply amused.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 7 2008, 07:32 PM
Post #15

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Wal-Mart may/may not be heading towards Mega.

However, These guys have them long beaten for the title of first Megacorporation.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 7 2008, 02:31 PM) *
Swedes! Bah!

Actually didn't you guys kick the crap out of the Nazi's and the Russian in a 20 year time span?

Maybe we'll leave the Swedes... For now.

I would also like to note that I would have only been shocked if you announced that you had the best equipped and trained JUNGLE force in the world. I would have also been deeply amused.

Actually that was Finland, Sweden was wozzy neutral with some wanna-be nazi during WW2
However we kicked the living hell outta Russia, Denmark, Poland, and Germany all at the same time about 400 years ago, then the king got shot.. by his own forces
Oh, wait and see amigo, goverment secrets you know :o

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 7 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Ah Finland.

*calls over his shoulder*
It's cool boys! We can still do Sweden! Lets give them democracy or else!

I'm not sure if citing a 400 year old ass whupping, no matter how spectacular, is much call for future pride.

I mean, Armenia owned like half the world at some point. Granted that was also at the dawn of recorded history iirc but hey, my Armenian friends still go to great lengths to point that out to me.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Feb 7 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 7 2008, 03:31 PM) *
Swedes! Bah!

Actually Hitler avoided Switzerland completely because their version of Neutrality (we're neutral and all of our citizens have guns to keep it that way) seemed to be not worth the effort.

+Quote Post
Earlydawn
post Feb 7 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,766

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 7 2008, 02:25 PM) *
no guns, whatta.. Sweden happen to have some of the best trained, best equipped artic forces in the world.
(Had some american guys here last year, NAVY SEAL or something like that, they couldnt pass the obligatory obstacle course)
No hard feelings aight?
That'll be great when then next conflict breaks out over the valuable territory up there.

Oh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 7 2008, 07:44 PM
Post #20

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

I'm confused, didn't people stop going to malls and start using supermarkets, because they were easier to navigate and generally more convenient...

Is this mallification of the supermarket just a reaction to webretail reducing brickstore sales, thus - similar to accepting slim to nil margins on beer and soda products - they are trying to create a need to visit stores in the flesh and hopefully impulse buy?

Anyway, Wal-Mart doesn't have enough of a horizontal monopoly to be a true megacorp. You have to own the companies that mine the iron, smelt the steel, and build the trucks that transport the toys from the factories which assemble them from the feed stock you refine to the kiosks where you sell them...

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Feb 7 2008, 02:39 PM) *
Actually Hitler avoided Switzerland completely because their version of Neutrality (we're neutral and all of our citizens have guns to keep it that way) seemed to be not worth the effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/switzerland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sweden

Swedes= people from sweden
Swiss= people or things from switzenland

geez, whats next? Polar bears roaming the streets?

That'll be great when then next conflict breaks out over the valuable territory up there.

Oh.

One word: Uranium

I'm not sure if citing a 400 year old ass whupping, no matter how spectacular, is much call for future pride

Never said I was proud of being swedish im hell glad im not a fullblood, whole country is cooking with prejudice, stupid politics and ignorance (but not even close to that of those americans often portrayed by media, and/or youtube)

+Quote Post
mfb
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

Shadowdragon8685 beat me to it. 250 years of straight runnin' shit--Wal-Mart's got a ways to go.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Feb 7 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 7 2008, 03:44 PM) *
Anyway, Wal-Mart doesn't have enough of a horizontal monopoly to be a true megacorp. You have to own the companies that mine the iron, smelt the steel, and build the trucks that transport the toys from the factories which assemble them from the feed stock you refine to the kiosks where you sell them...

That's the definition of a vertical monopoly (i.e. Standard Oil before the breakup). A horizontal monopoly would be like from Demolition man. The only restaurant in existance is... Taco Bell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_integration

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_integration

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Feb 7 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Feb 7 2008, 03:44 PM) *
Swedes= people from sweden
Swiss= people or things from switzenland

geez, whats next? Polar bears roaming the streets?

One word: Uranium

My mistake... I apparently can't differentiate one state in the European Union from another... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 7 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Feb 7 2008, 02:51 PM) *
My mistake... I apparently can't differentiate one state in the European Union from another... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

That's coo' I can't remember all the states on top of my mind either

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.