Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attribute maxiums and cyberware/bioware
Lord Ben
post Feb 8 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,659

Can you have 4 agility and then muscle toner 4 and suprathyroid gland for another +5 to max out at 9? Or do you have to have 6 natural and then 3 from enhancements?

This post has been edited by Redjack: Feb 8 2008, 08:31 PM
Reason for edit: Flagged as an SR4 topic
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Feb 8 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #2

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

If I remember correctly by the letter of RAW you can only augment up to your current natural *1.5, but I may be misremembering since I've long since houseruled it to mean you can augment whatever the difference between your natural max and aug max is. (Three for humans, ect...)

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 7,520

If former was true, you would need natural reaction of 12 to fully benefit from Move-by-Wire 3. That can't be right.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Feb 8 2008, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Move-by-Wire is so over the top I don't see a problem with that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 8 2008, 07:26 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Ravor @ Feb 8 2008, 02:15 PM) *
If I remember correctly by the letter of RAW you can only augment up to your current natural *1.5, but I may be misremembering since I've long since houseruled it to mean you can augment whatever the difference between your natural max and aug max is. (Three for humans, ect...)

I thought that for a long time, but I believe that applies to skills, but not to attributes. If you have a skill of 4, you can only boost it up to a 6, but an attribute of 1 can be boosted all the way up to 9.

edit: SR4 pg 109 is where it talks about the limit for skills, and also demonstrates that we are to round down when calculating base*1.5
edit2: pg 62 is the corresponding section for Attributes where it talks about modified limit being racial max * 1.5, not natural value * 1.5

+Quote Post
Bira
post Feb 8 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,768

Your "augmented maximum" is a hard cap, but I don't think it matters how you get there. Both 6(natural)+3 (implants) and 2+7 are equally valid.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Feb 8 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

Is this the way it works? I've always looked at it as If you maximum your maximum augmented is 9. Wherther you do that as 6 natural and 3 augments, or 1 natural and 8 augments, either way it only goes up to 9. Even reading I can see how it could be interpreted either way.

QUOTE (BBB pg 62)
Physical and Mental attributes have a maximum natural rating of 6 plus or minus metatype modifiers, depending on metatype (see p. 73). The maximum augmented attribute value for each metatype is equal to 1.5 times this figure, rounded down (see the Metatype Attribute Table, p. 73).

For this I only see a limit on the maximum augmented, not on how much augmentation you can put on an attribute.

+Quote Post
Nightwalker450
post Feb 8 2008, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,720

Move-By-Wire, I think only gives a +2 Reaction regardless of rating. At least I never read that as a per rating, the only thing that varied per rating as I saw was the IP's and of course Skill Wires rating. I read that entry many times thinking that it was not as good for reaction at rating 3, but better for reaction at rating 1, then the other IP enhancers.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 8 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Nightwalker450 @ Feb 8 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Move-By-Wire, I think only gives a +2 Reaction regardless of rating. At least I never read that as a per rating, the only thing that varied per rating as I saw was the IP's and of course Skill Wires rating. I read that entry many times thinking that it was not as good for reaction at rating 3, but better for reaction at rating 1, then the other IP enhancers.

Are you sure? I'm having a hard time swallowing that. Anybody got their copy of Augmentation handy, can we get a quote?

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 07:43 PM
Post #10

Running Target

As I read it, MbW gives you reaction, dodge and IP per rating. I find it hard, but possible to read it otherwise.

QUOTE (Augmentaion p.41)
The move-by-wire system confers a bonus of +2 to the character's Reaction attribute, +1 to character's dodge skill rating, and +1 Initiative Pass per point of rating.

Also, this mofo can still be combined with reaction enhancers. Reaction 1[9] ftw.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 8 2008, 07:59 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Malicant @ Feb 8 2008, 02:43 PM) *
Also, this mofo can still be combined with reaction enhancers. Reaction 1[9] ftw.

Hmmm, +6 from the MBW, +3 from the reaction enhancers, +1 from suprathyroid gland. Assuming exceptional attribute positive quality and that geneware that raises your racial max, I can get a reaction of 2(12), is there anywhere I can scare up an extra point of reaction boost to get a 1(12) reaction?

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #12

Running Target

You are Evil. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 8 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Malicant @ Feb 8 2008, 03:05 PM) *

Thanks. Isn't there a geneware treatment or a nanite that gives a reaction bonus? There must be one somewhere so I can get 1(12).

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 8 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #14

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I can't think of any. Most of the genetech and nanoware adds a dice pool modification, not an attribute one. There are some (like the transgenic Reakt treatment) that increase Reaction based dice pools, but that won't get you to 1(12).

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Unfortunatly, Nano and Genestuff modify specific tests and don't increase attributes. At least, I can't find any that do.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Feb 8 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

The Geneware...now, that was the thing that was compatible with Exceptional Attribute, correct?

So, a Human with Exceptional Attribute: Reaction, and Geneware: Reaction, has an 8 regular limit, and a 12 hard cap, is that correct?

In addition, if they were to get both at chargen, they could essentially soft-max their Reaction...at 7, for 60 BPs. Whoa. (Well, ok, that's a big cost...20 for the Quality, and however much the Genetech is in BP. It sounds like essentialy almost 1/4 of their starting 400 BP to supercharge one attribute.)

Not having Augmentation handy, is this Genetech expensive, and can you only get it once at all, or once per attribute?

Sounds pretty cool, actually. I have a feeling it ain't cheap, though.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 8 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (ElFenrir @ Feb 8 2008, 04:42 PM) *
The Geneware...now, that was the thing that was compatible with Exceptional Attribute, correct?

So, a Human with Exceptional Attribute: Reaction, and Geneware: Reaction, has an 8 regular limit, and a 12 hard cap, is that correct?

In addition, if they were to get both at chargen, they could essentially soft-max their Reaction...at 7, for 60 BPs. Whoa. (Well, ok, that's a big cost...20 for the Quality, and however much the Genetech is in BP. It sounds like essentialy almost 1/4 of their starting 400 BP to supercharge one attribute.)

Not having Augmentation handy, is this Genetech expensive, and can you only get it once at all, or once per attribute?

Sounds pretty cool, actually. I have a feeling it ain't cheap, though.

Correct.
Correct.
Correct.
Once per attribute.
I don't have the costs handy either, but as I recall it ain't cheap, but it's not completely prohibitive either. I want to say 30,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , but that's purely from memory, and is probably wrong.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Feb 8 2008, 09:58 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 770

whoops, wrong thread. Sorry.

and to add something constructive:

it's genetic optimization, 45,000 nuyen, .2 essence, and 2 months of downtime

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 8 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

Don't forget there is also the genetech to give you the abilities of other metas. So evidently for enough nuyen, essence, and downtime you could evidently have a human with a trolls body, elfs agility, trolls strength, elfs charisma, and a dwarfs willpower. Then genetic optimization your entire attribute set, and take the lucky quality.

If the cops ever caught you they could fairly easily pin you to any crime you left genetic evidence behind at though. I doubt there would be anyone walking around with anywhere close to the same genetic blue print.

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Feb 8 2008, 10:51 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

whoa, whoa, whoa...no there isn't.

There's genetech that'll make you look like and DNA test as another metatype, but you explicity do not get the bonuses of that metatype.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Genetech can change your looks, not your attributes. If I'm not gravely mistaken right now. Which I am not, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Mr. Unpronouncea...
post Feb 8 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Though, admittedly, it doesn't say it removes the bonuses you already got.

So an elf with body 9, strength 9 unaugmented may be possible...in some games anyway.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 8 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Augmentation - page 89 - Ethnicity Alteration

I was reading because it said it gave both genetic and physical ethnic characteristics. There is a Metaposeur that isn't in the chart but listed in the text that specifically states it only give the physical appearance not any of the actual benefits. So I read it as two different things. One you take to say get low light vision like an orc or elf, and the other to stop looking like an orc and look like a HUGE elf instead, but still have the orc stats.

+Quote Post
Malicant
post Feb 8 2008, 11:09 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Ethnic is black/red/yellow. Not human/elf/trog.

Meaning, a white rapper can indeed become a gangster and an aboriginee could become japanese. Kind of.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 8 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Ah, I was thinking wrong then. I will admit it seemed a bit overpowered, but I am not one to complain about awesome cheeze.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.