IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What Race Are You?
What Race Are You?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 143
Guests cannot vote 
nathanross
post Feb 10 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,845

Just curious the breakdown of Races in SR4 played currently by DS members.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 10 2008, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

bump, cause I want more votes

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Feb 10 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Which character do you want? Do you want "what have you played?" or "what are you currently playing?" ?

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 10 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

and why the heck are there check boxes instead of radio buttons? O.o
i have played all races at least once . . yes, even elves and pinkies. . .
my Personal Breakdown as follows:
Trolls many
Dwarves a little less
Orcs still some less
Humans almost there
Elves bottomline

+Quote Post
Eurotroll
post Feb 10 2008, 10:27 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 13,215

I divide my time between elfs and trolls, with a 1:3 ratio.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 10 2008, 10:44 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I'd just edit the poll to remove 'SR4.' The races stayed the same from SR3 so it's 'what do you play?"

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Feb 10 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #7

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Half of my PCs are humans, half are Orks - that's the rough breakdown. What can I say? I likes the orks.

I've played the odd dwarf and elf here and there. Never played a troll as a PC.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 10 2008, 11:23 PM
Post #8

The ShadowComedian

ya ain't tough and big enuff ta be a troll anyway!
Seriously, Trolls are probably the most underrepresented Player Race . . well, aside from Ghouls and Shape-Shipfters, but those don't really count in my eyes <.< . .
People probably just don't want to act all stupid and don't know how to get into the state of mind that towering over people with about 3m brings to you . . "heh, soft and squishy!"/"Orcs are like sausage dogs . . small, hairy and easy to break"

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 10 2008, 11:24 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Sorry for the confusion, first, a clarification:

1. I tried to make it multiple choice since I think that people have played more than one of the races in SR4.

2. I know for some of you this doesn't properly model the fact that you may have played 2 Humans and 1 Ork.

3. This is only SR4. I am not the slightest bit interested in what you played in SR3 since the game balance between the races have changed. I also did not want to have to create options for Ghoul, Shapeshifter, Drake, etc.

4. My true objective is to see if one/more races are more heavily used (though this may not be the best way to do that)

Anyways, now that you know my (not so) hidden motive, please vote at will!

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Feb 10 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I play humans and orks nine times out of ten. Edge is wonderful and a respectable Body score is basically a necessary evil for a Shadowrunner. And honestly, if anything my typical Ork character is likely to be smarter than my typical human since they don't have so far to go to be tough as nails and as strong as an ox while my humans hit the 200 point cap early in attribute distribution. Orks can truly make wonderful generalists and don't really lose out in logic much at all compared to other races, although they're definitely far less charismatic than Elves.

+Quote Post
Xane
post Feb 11 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 8,483

I've started playing dwarves. I just feel the little guys are under-represented. I was an ork fan since i started playing SR2. Then SR4 hits and orks are what everyone plays. So Dwarves it is.

+Quote Post
bishop186
post Feb 11 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,988

I've played everything, but I tend to stick to humans. However, lately I've been playing around more with the metatypes - up until a couple sessions ago I was playing a Troll and now I'm playing an Elf.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 11 2008, 12:51 AM
Post #13

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

<-------<<<

Do you really need to ask? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Sir_Psycho
post Feb 11 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,361

Interesting that Dwarves are coming out above trolls. From being on the forums I hear a lot more about people's Trolls than I ever do about Dwarves. I've always thought it was interesting how few people played dwarves, especially given the fact that they're hardier than humans and they make amazing spell artillery. The running modifier is the main thing that turns me off, given that my characters spend their time running away and hiding.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Feb 11 2008, 01:49 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I played an elf, but it was Sr3. I don't get to play any SR4 because I Gm all the time and everybody is quite happy they don't GM me anymore! I voted human because of the 20+ PCs I have stated in my idle no-gaming time humans are the most, with orcs coming second, elves third, dwarves fourth and only one troll.

As for the players, I gm a couple groups: I have two dwarves, four orcs, two elves and no trolls, while the rest are all humans (five). So the order of preference will be something like.

Humans 40%
Orcs 30%
Dwarves 15%
Elves 15%
Trolls -

IMO orcs are the new master race. Lots of goodies and few bad things. I wish I had a troll in my groups, I also would have liked a hacker....

Cheers!

Max

+Quote Post
ixombie
post Feb 11 2008, 01:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,481

I'm fond of elvses, but the twink in me won't let me play an elf unless I'm going to use the 2 charisma that I pay for to become one. So I don't play them that much... I go with human often, but have become more partial to orks lately, now that I realize that an ork with 'human looking' can be totally hot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 11 2008, 04:00 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (ixombie @ Feb 10 2008, 08:59 PM) *
I'm fond of elvses, but the twink in me won't let me play an elf unless I'm going to use the 2 charisma that I pay for to become one. So I don't play them that much... I go with human often, but have become more partial to orks lately, now that I realize that an ork with 'human looking' can be totally hot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I am very much the same. One reason Im doing this thread is to see if there is enough reason to lower the BP cost for Elves, Trolls, and Dwarves a bit. I was personally expecting a bit more Orcs, but things really seem to be even with them and Elves. I guess maybe a racial kickback (knockback, or whatever the edge is called) may be a better choice. Allowing someone to play an elf for 20BP, but not wasting their BP if they dont want to be a face.

I also would like to see more Trolls and Dwarves, as they rarely appear.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Feb 11 2008, 04:46 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

Humans and trolls! Ya gotta love the big trogs!

+Quote Post
martindv
post Feb 11 2008, 05:30 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

We have an unspoken understanding that trolls don't really exist in our games.

+Quote Post
Daier Mune
post Feb 11 2008, 05:49 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,341

playin an elf in my current game, although most of my characters are usualy humans.

+Quote Post
jago668
post Feb 11 2008, 06:09 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,212

It really depends.

Currently have an elf shaman, and a dwarf hermetic.

+Quote Post
krakjen
post Feb 11 2008, 07:45 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,312

I'm only GMing at the moment, but I'd play a Troll if I could...

+Quote Post
Bull
post Feb 11 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #23

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 10 2008, 06:23 PM) *
ya ain't tough and big enuff ta be a troll anyway!
Seriously, Trolls are probably the most underrepresented Player Race . . well, aside from Ghouls and Shape-Shipfters, but those don't really count in my eyes <.< . .
People probably just don't want to act all stupid and don't know how to get into the state of mind that towering over people with about 3m brings to you . . "heh, soft and squishy!"/"Orcs are like sausage dogs . . small, hairy and easy to break"

Honestly, I'd say it's Dwarves, followed by Orks, at least in my experience between my home games and seeing what folks put together for Convention games over the years.

There is almost always a troll as a team heavy. There is always at least one elf (Which is, by far, my least played race personally. I loath elves on principle). There is rarely a dwarf, and only occasionally an ork. Humans are most common, but I don't really count them, since they're the freebie default.

Bull

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 11 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

I really don't see why people always find it necessary to play stupid trolls. It's not that expensive to buy a 3 intelligence and now that intel is split between intuition and logic, it's fairly easy to play a character who isn't pants on head stupid. Sure he might not be very good at all that book stuff but he's got enough common sense to engage in a normal conversation. The combined with the high BP stat max out costs and I think you're really encouraged to make a more well rounded character.

The fact that I told my players that anyone with a stat below 3 would be considered "at least slightly retarded" probably encouraged them to diversify as well.

Until my most recent players joined the troll heavy in our group was doing most of the talking. Granted, he wasn't cutting crazy deals or deep discounts on gear. However he did choose employment wisely and demonstrated the sort of loyalty that makes fixers tear up a little.

I'm firmly in the elf hating camp. I try not let that spill over into my GMing but... god... they're freaking annoying.
Oh look at me! Life is so hard! I'm painfully pretty and live forever! Gragh, go suck start a roomsweeper.

I have to agree that dwarves are few and far between. No one wants to play the short guy with a body hair problem. Plus the bonuses they get just aren't as... cool as what you get with trolls and orks.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Feb 11 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #25

The ShadowComedian

in SR3 my trolls usually start out with 4 intelligence . . i play them dumb as shit but have them sheme behind the scenes ^^
Who says a Troll can't make a good talker? heavy weapons imposes a HUGE bonus to social tests *g*
Yeah, the short Jokes are the biggest reason for me not to play a dwarf . . and yes, i hate elves with a passion . . humans are as said just the default freebie . . and orcs are the smaller trolls in my eyes *snickers*

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.