Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about Crimes and Extratoratality
Negalith
post Feb 10 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,032

Starting Hypothetical: Two runner, one a UCAS SINer and the other SINless break into an Aries complex with Extratoratality. During the break in, a UCAS citizen and an Aries Citizen are killed. The two runners escape back into Seattle proper. The identities of the two runners as well as their legal / SIN status are identified. Who cares?

Will Lonestar or Knight Errant be in any way involved in the investigation / attempted apprehension of either suspect for either murder? Why or why not? How much latitude does Aries legitimately have to attempt to apprehend the killers in Seattle? How much action above and beyond that they are legally allowed will they take anyhow? Does the UCAS (federal), State or City government / court system have any interest at all in what happens on Aries property?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 10 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Knight Errant really (legally) can't do much because they do not have police power in Seattle proper. However, of course, if the two enter another property that is patrolled by Knight Errant, they can be arrested there and extradited for trial without much trouble. KE also may make an illegal hit if it's that important.

If Ares cares to reveal the killings, it can file a report with Lone Star. Because there is competition between Lone Star and Knight Errant, Lone Star is less likely to help out Ares than it would another corporation. That's just politics for you. However, of course, if there's enough pressure on Lone Star, they'll do what they can to get it done. The matter was done on Ares property. I don't know if Ares is willing to conduct a trial before the fugitives are arrested (I don't think you can do that for criminal cases in the US, so presumably the answer is you can't do it for Ares or in the UCAS general). However, since they can get a warrant put out on the two that means Seattle can and will use whatever power they have to put pressure on the two fugitives. In the case of the SINless, that's just adding his information to the Lone Star database and maybe doing some investigation, but in the case of the SINner they're likely going to shut down all of his bank accounts, visit his homes, seize assets and do searches, harass his family, etc. etc.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 10 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

There is nothing to prevent Knight Errant or other Ares forces from performing an investigation on UCAS soil, they have permits to undertake such operations in a fashion - much like other private investigators. They can apprehend criminals and bring them to a UCAS court for extradition, should that be desired.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 10 2008, 09:11 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

First off, I think the only one of the two runners that any of this applies to is the Crimal SINed one. If the other's face is known, he can be killed or done whatever with at any time. Such is the fate of the SINless. For the other runner,

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
There is nothing to prevent Knight Errant or other Ares forces from performing an investigation on UCAS soil, they have permits to undertake such operations in a fashion - much like other private investigators. They can apprehend criminals and bring them to a UCAS court for extradition, should that be desired.

Also, If news got out that a UCAS citizen was killed on Ares land, there might be a competition between Lone Star and Knight Errant as to who gets the criminal first. They both should/would be mad about the murder, and it happens right at a time when they are both competing for the Seattle Law Enforcement Contract. I think this could make some interesting runs (if the runners weren't PCs).

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 10 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 10 2008, 03:11 PM) *
They both should/would be mad about the murder, and it happens right at a time when they are both competing for the Seattle Law Enforcement Contract. I think this could make some interesting runs (if the runners weren't PCs).

What happens when one idealistic rookie working for the Star teams up with a hardened veteran from Knight Errant's Elite Forces to track down a group of merciless mass murdering shadowrunners gone ronin? Errant Star IV on simsense this fall.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Feb 10 2008, 09:30 PM
Post #6

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...Kaneda Ten: glad my GM doesn't read the boards all that often. The last few missions we were on definitely would put our team in that light.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ic.gif) VIolet: "...I'm not a bad girl, really, I'm not. I just like toys, yes, lots of pretty high tech toys..." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 10 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 10 2008, 03:30 PM) *
...The last few missions we were on definitely would put our team in that light...
Slotter testimonials: "When Big Teddy Tim injects himself with K-10 to fuel his suicidal rage and save his partner, knowing it will kill him, knowing he'll never be the same, it just breaks your heart. And that horrible razor girl laughing at him, saying how nice it was to fight on even terms - errr just makes you so mad, you can feel the blood boiling, and I don't think that was just the sim! It felt great when he blasted her in the face."

+Quote Post
martindv
post Feb 11 2008, 02:08 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

It is now a federal crime to murder an American citizen overseas. However, the FBI can't do any investigating on extraterritorial property without the invitation of the corporation. Something which isn't likely going to happen. But seeing as though it's Seattle and not Riyadh, there are still avenues they can investigate within the city.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 11 2008, 04:09 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Feb 10 2008, 04:30 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ic.gif) VIolet: "...I'm not a bad girl, really, I'm not. I just like toys, yes, lots of pretty high tech toys..." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/ic.gif) Spade: Dont worry little one, all that blood washes right off with a good bath.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.