Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Evolution of Magic, Is it possible?
CoalHeart
post Dec 1 2003, 08:15 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,757

I was sitting 'round the ol' SR group bong. We were talking about what the group's shaman, and the group's mage should do on thier initations.

My friend Chris said why don't you guys evolve your magic like a pokemon.
(I slapped him for saying Pokemon) but it was an interesting idea. Well alot of things are interesting when you're baked, but that's not the point.

Well anyways back on track.

So lets take the group's Wolf shaman. My friend said when he initiates why can't he grow a closer bond to his totem and have it affect him more or differently.

+1 more dice to combat spells, and + to whatever else forest spirits I think, but his wolf rage thing is alot harder to resist, becomes tn 6 to avoid. And on his sheet he would put 'Timber Wolf' He would be better with forest spirits -1 TN for dealing with them, and -1 for dealing with wolves. But would have +1 tn for other aspects of his magic.

we thought hey that's pretty cool.

Then for our mage. Standard hermetic when he initiates he could change/evolve his magic to become better with a certain element or field of magic.

Standard mage, becomes a Mage of Flames, +2 for fire manipulation/elemental spells. -1 for water ones. +1 dice for fire elementals, -1 TN for summoning fire elementals, +1 tn for water elementals, -1 dice for water elemtnal spells.

and so on, and more he initiates the further he can become aspected to the point where he can't do anything for water, but can pop out fire like he was born in it.

Oh and this would be a subsitutuion to learning a metamagic. So you would gain magic rating, and your signature alters slightly but not learn a metamagic for that initiation.

I guess it could work for adepts too, but I don't know how.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 1 2003, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Or you could make it a system like Seiken Densetsu 3, where you have two levels of evolution that go either dark or light. So your rogue becomes an assassin and gets the split-image slice attack.

~J, currently crashing from prescription amphetamines

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Dec 1 2003, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

I think it's a good idea.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Dec 1 2003, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Oh I guess you can do stuff like 'Combat Mage'
+dice for combat magic - tn but you give up dice and ability in other fields. -dice in health detection whatever else +tn for those spells. and so on.

I dunno. I was pretty baked when we talked about this.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 1 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Yep, good idea.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Dec 1 2003, 09:46 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Well thanks if it's a good idea :)

But the question was(that I forgot to ask), is this allowable? Would it go too far against the rules? Would it be in the rules but abusable? Too twinky? Unfair to the rest of the group?

We're still thinking it's cool but can't see too many blatant problems with it. so I'm looking to you guys for ideas on how to impliment this fairly and stuff.

+Quote Post
Dende
post Dec 1 2003, 10:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,837

I am going to take this oppurtunity to point something out. This are the "bylaws" of an RPG according to the TriStat system(Dx and BESM and other games) Called the Role Playing Manefesto:

1.These rules are written on paper, not etched in stone.
2.Rules are suggested guidelines, not required edicts.
3.If the rules don't say you can't do something, you can.
4.There are no official answers, only official opinions.
5.When dice conflict with the story, the story always wins.
6.Min/Maxing and munchkinism aren't problems with the game; they're problems with the player.
7.The GM has full discretionary power over the game.
8.The GM always works with, not against, the players.
9.A game that is not fun is no longer a game - it's a chore.
10.This books contains the answers to all things.
11.When the above does not apply, make it up.

Short of about Cthulu and Hackmaster even No 8 applies to everything. AS for 10 and 11 well, sub that for whatever book you need to apply it to.

No 1 is the big one I wanted to point out. CoalHeart, if you wanna do it. Do it and adapt it for your game, there is NO reason you can't. Canon is all well and good, but they are guidelines, not edicts. Use the game as you wish to.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Dec 1 2003, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

+1 dice in specific spells per Initiation instead of a metatechnique is not unbalancing at all. He could just as easily have spent that karma in SpellCasting increase anyhows, getting a +1 to all spells. And considering how hard it is to initiate, and thus losing chances at metatechniques, it more than balances out. I'd go so far as to say they're actually hindering themselves by going this route, but I like it because it really helps build a theme for the character.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 1 2003, 10:46 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i would make it a metatechnique. personally, however, i wouldn't give it a 'down' side, as that sorta negates the whole point of shelling out massive amounts of karma.

call it something like Totem/Elemental Affinity. if the initiate is a shaman, hegains an extra die on his positive totem modifiers; if a hermetic, he must pick one element. in this element, he gains +1 die to the related spells and elementals. this metatechnique can be taken multiple times; mages can choose a new element each time, if they choose.

+Quote Post
Namer18
post Dec 1 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 3,809

I like mfb's way of doing it. I wouldn't let the hermetics change the element each time though.

Namer18

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 1 2003, 10:53 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

That doesn't seem to be as yummy as many of the other metamagic techniques. If I were to do it, I'd start off a little more interestingly. Like, allowing the magician to gain a new pool of dice equal to his Grade that can only be used when dealing with spells and spirits within the specialization (elemental/totemic bonuses; totems that don't have a specific bonus cannot select it).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 1 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

mine is directed more towards the 'evolution' idea, in that you can take it several times and gain more power each time--but looking at them as a player, i'd take funk's over mine any day.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Dec 2 2003, 12:28 AM
Post #13

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

When I played first edition Shadowrun, we used a house rule that your Initiate Grade added to your Totem advantages. At Initiate 0 it was no bonus, but later it became more and more useful.

I wouldn't do it again, after having experienced it. In my experience, magicians get more and more overpowering in comparison to other characters with comparable (100+) earned Karma, and the GMs need to look for ways to reduce magician power instead of increase their power.

I like Sphynx's suggestion, to allow some spellcasting bonus as an alternative to a Metamagic technique upon initiation.

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 2 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

I do like the idea of "aspecting", however. It seems like it gives the character more flavor, and makes more sense for how Shadowrun magic works.

Maybe take "aspecting" for a higher bonus, say +2 dice? Or something.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Dec 2 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #15

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

Not to throw water on the idea, because it is pretty good, but you do know that you can start out as an aspected mage, right? :) The main difference here, though, is that starting out as such would mean that it would be difficult, if not impossible, to "break out" of that in order to do anything with any other aspect of magic not normally allotted. Making it a metamagic for initiates would just mean a "specialization" of sorts, and not cripple him (as such).

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Dec 2 2003, 04:45 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

I actually was thinking along those lines. I was saying, however, that the bonus for fire stuff would be higher, since it is a metamagical technique.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Dec 2 2003, 05:23 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

The evolution idea of magic sounds cool for Shamans.

The totemic mask would be more pronounced, more characteristics of the totem would appear in the pc's life. It might require some investigation into the animal itself to determine what the characteristics would be though.

Can you imagine a Bear shaman "evolving" into Kodiak?

As for mages the idea is so so. It would be cool, but the whole concept leans more toward the totemic side.

Just my 2 cents.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Dec 2 2003, 05:51 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Ok hashing it out with my stoner buds over a bowl of buds... mmm good times...

Er.. Right Topic.

For full shamans (non aspected, sorcs or conjurers) You can evolve your connection with your totem. It counts as a metamagical technique Evolve (Totem)

Wolf can become Timberwolf
Bonuses: closer affinity to forest spirits (-1 TN +1 Dice), edge animal affinity (Wolves), +1 dice to combat and detection spells.
Penalties : Increases TN to resist rage to 6. Also Any other spirit summoning is at +1 TN -1 Dice, Any other spell casting is at -1 dice

Can then Evolve to be a Greater TimberWolf

Bonuses : Closer affinity to forest spirits (-2 TN +2 dice) Affinity to wolves grows (-2 tn to dealing with wolves) and you automatically gain a normal wolf ally animal. +2 dice to combat and detection spells.

Penalties: No resistance to Rage in combat except you can avoid attacking 'packmates' Any other spirit summoning is +2 tn -2 dice. Any other spell casting -2 dice

Further evolve again if you so choose to the Alpha Timber wolf
Bonuses : Forest spirits are your best friends (-3 TN +3 dice) Animal Affinity grows further (-3 tn for dealing with wolves) Gain 1d6/2 more wolf allies minimum 1 and rule of 6 applies. +3 combat and detection spells Also Gain Shapechange (Wolf) for Essence Hours Per week (can split up an hour here, 20 mins there)
Disadvantages : In any combat you fly into a rage no resistance if there are aggresors to your pack or partners. Any other spirit summonings +3 TN - 3 dice Any other spell +3 tn -3 dice.

I don't think you'd want to really go past 3 levels of it. But Hell you could keep going untill you are a wolf and so deeply devoted to your totem and your new 'pack'.
This was an example I'm sure you can adjust it for any totems you see fit.

For a Standard Hermetic Mage(non aspected) takes the metamagic Evolution (Elemental)

Mage of Flames (water earth air)

Bonuses : +2 dice for Elemental/Manipulation Fire based spells. Affinity to fire elementals -1 TN +1 dice. Fire school of spells (I think are Combat) +1 dice. +1 dice -1 TN to resisting damage from fire based magic
Disadvantages : -2 dice to Elemental/manipulation Water. Aversion to Water elementals (+1 TN -1 dice) for dealing with them, and resisting affects of water based magic

Mage of Burning Ember (Tranquil wave, Rolling Stone, Whirling Vortex)

Bonus: +4 dice Elemental/manipulation fire based spells. Strong Affinity to fire elementals (-2 tn +2 dice) Fire school of spells +2 dice. +2 dice -2 TN to resisting Fire based magic damage. Innate ability Flame aura at 1/2 essence power for Essence hours. Can be split up.
Disadvantages : -4 Dice to elemental manipulation water. Strong Aversion to water elementals +2 tn -2 dice, +2 tn -2 dice to resisting water based magical damage. Flaw : Allergy to water Nusance (prolonged exposure so no more swimming, but a little rain or a shower isn't bad)

Mage of The Raging Inferno (Deep, Eternal Stone, Tornado)

Bonus: +6 dice Elemental/manipulation Fire based spells, Friendship with Fire ellemental, Bonuses to fire schools of magic, full immunity to normal fire (less than 6 power) -3 tn +3 dice to resisting any othe fire. FlameAura at full essence power, for twice essence hours.

Disadvanages : -6 dice elemental manip water. Hatered of Water elementals (they attack on sight) Also +3 tn -3 dice. Water Based damage is harder to resist. Allergy to water becomes Severe if prolonged (more than 30 seconds)

And so on and so forth, but I think 3 in each sould be plenty to show what I mean and I hope eveyone enjoys it and tries it out in thier game. I wonder how well it'll go in ours! thanks for the response everyone. :spin:

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Dec 2 2003, 06:18 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

It's not unlike a shamanic geas, after all.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Dec 2 2003, 10:30 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Ooooo - I love it! I am so gonna tweak this and introduce into my games...

More Metamagics to the Magicians!!! :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 2 2003, 10:32 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I think the penalties are way too high if you are making it a Metamagic. After all, the character has to spend a lot of Karma to acquire it.

+Quote Post
BumsofTacoma
post Dec 2 2003, 10:52 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,871

All in all an interesting idea.

What would you say about finding an initiate group that swings that way. That is if you are keeping the old way as well as introducing this new one. You would have to say that not all Mages/Shamans would want to go that route. So you would have to find a different initiate group, perhaps harder to find one. Just a thought. Discuss or bash as you please.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Dec 2 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Well: Before I say this next bit, I should probably say that I like the idea. But:

I don't think it's unreasonable to add a down-side. Noteing the fact that there are no metamagical techniques that really provide a direct boost to a character's power, I'd say certain versions could be imbalanced.

Look at centering: Although it provides a power bonus; You need to buy two skills up-to 4 or so to make it effective. Invoking has its advantages, but it is difficult in its own right with a hard drain resistance test.

Choosing to apply a permenant ability (such as +1 die for combat spells) should probably affect the character somehow (I'm thinking berserk in combat or something with TN depending on how many times the 'metamagic' has been taken). The 'penalty' could simply, however, just be a roleplaying effect meaning you play the character as being slightly angrier.

Using this to reduce penalties would also be reasonable as in-general penalties are worth less than bonuses.

But then again: I always try to avoid giving big bonuses in my house modified stuff. IMHO: The most important thing to avoid is adding something broken, that is to say something which is so much better than other options.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Dec 3 2003, 09:51 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 948

I can see several problems for shamans and hermetics so deep down into their element that they have a psychological problem with other elements.

I can really picture the Inferno-Of-The-Deepest-Fire Hermetic with a phobia against water. Or what about getting an automatic Spirit/Elemental Bane flaw when you reach the highest level of specialization?

So a Fire hermetic with 3 levels of specialization and +6/-6D6 or whatnot for Fire and Water would also have a direct distaste for water (rather using some spell of Earth to clean himself with) and risk getting attacked from elementals from the opposite element.

Shamans are a bit different but they would probably become more "one" with the totem. That could be quite easy with animal totem but what about icons like Mountain?

I can see a rivalry between totem animals like Cat and Dog becoming more and more hostile. Perhaps not "hostile" but rather a lack of respect.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Dec 3 2003, 03:15 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

People often attach emotional aspects to icons -- "Mountain" or "Earth" is commonly depicted as slow, strong and unchanging.

"Fire" is mercurial, tempermental and just a tad destructive.

-Siege

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:07 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.