IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> january that never ended?, dumpshocks version of the september that never ended on usenet...
hobgoblin
post Feb 11 2008, 07:50 PM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

ok, this is probably as off topic is it can get but i need to offload. admins feel free to do what they want with this...

is it just me or have we had a rush of new people since the release of arsenal (in pdf but still)?

i see bickering over fluff, old topics showing up in new suits, and it all seems to end in a "your moma" contest every single time...

so, is it me getting old, or just my virtual skin wearing thin?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Feb 11 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

You're just getting old. And so is yo momma! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've definitely noticed more board traffic lately. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the content, though.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Feb 11 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

Dumpshock seems like the same place it ever was. I do know that I have been posting a lot more since Arsenal came out, since it totally pumped me back up (and I quit the MMO I was playing). I think getting new blood is always good. And Im loving the new forum style! (though it is sad to see the old one go after SOOOOO many years)

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 11 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Feb 11 2008, 11:58 AM) *
You're just getting old. And so is yo momma! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've definitely noticed more board traffic lately. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the content, though.

Are you suggesting it's time for a return of the age old argument about whether or not an Ally Spirit can manifest as an Ares Viper Slivergun?

Plus ca Change...

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 11 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #5

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Yep, there is more traffic since Arsenal. Good thing, too. Of course it gives new opinions in age-old discussions.

Forgot to write an answer: Too old depends. Jounger than Fortune?

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 11 2008, 10:21 PM
Post #6

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I was kind of thinking that myself. It does seem like there are a lot of new "targets" lately. Maybe this batch is just more vocal?

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 11 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #7

panda!

older, by at least 5 years iirc...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 11 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 12 2008, 09:24 AM) *
older, by at least 5 years iirc...

More like 16 years younger, if the age in your profile is correct. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 11 2008, 11:29 PM
Post #9

Awakened Asset

If that age is correct, you are not to old. Younger than me, even.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 11 2008, 11:37 PM
Post #10

panda!

hmm, better check that. if i didnt recall the thread where you people discussed age wrong...

off by a year, so i must have recalled that thread wrong, sorry...

+Quote Post
Sponge
post Feb 11 2008, 11:48 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,097

Well I can't speak for anyone else (obviously), but I just recently started playing Shadowrun a few months ago. 4th Edition is the first version I've played (although I've known about the game for many years), so most of the "fluff" and setting references tend to go over my head - there's a lot of references to old material and history that I'll never have the chance to read (or, likely, the inclination - if really it matters to my game, it should be published in a 4th edition book, right?). If I bring up old topics, that's just my noobness (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) but I tend to stick to the SR4 rules-oriented stuff.

DS

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 12 2008, 12:02 AM
Post #12

panda!

heh, i suspect that they could make a buck publishing a SR history book. i know i would pick one up just to read the specifics about happenings.

+Quote Post
stevebugge
post Feb 12 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,996

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Feb 11 2008, 04:02 PM) *
heh, i suspect that they could make a buck publishing a SR history book. i know i would pick one up just to read the specifics about happenings.

Kind of an amalagamation of past fluff books, modules, & novels condensed in to a couple hundred pages from about 2050 to 207x?

I'm all for it, I nominate Ancient History to be the project manager

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Feb 12 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #14

panda!

yep, something like that. basically a extended version of the opening "how it came to pass".

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 12 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

Thats available until some point in german (Shadowrun - Die sechste Welt) (published 2005). I don´t think that was ever translated.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 12 2008, 12:26 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 15,601

Being one of those new guys but a long time lurker. I think it's a little early to call it as "The January that never ended".

That being said, you're absolutely right that there has been a spike in, what I think, are stupid and needlessly flamelicious arguments on the boards right now. But it's the internet and I've gotten used to just mentally screening those elements out and rolling on with my bad self.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Feb 12 2008, 02:16 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Dear Doc, you haven't seen any flame wars here, trust me, you will notice.

I personally welcome the newcomers and the Arsenal discussion. I even expected it to be much worse, so I guess they got the book quite right. (IMO, they did, so much could have gone wrong)

Unwired, on the other hand, I am not so confident, we will have to wait and see...

Oh, and I totally offer myself for playtesting again, particularly for Unwired. I promise to write good reports.

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Feb 12 2008, 03:57 AM
Post #18

Man Behind the Curtain

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Feb 11 2008, 08:16 PM) *
Dear Doc, you haven't seen any flame wars here, trust me, you will notice.

Not if I notice first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

QUOTE (MaxHunter @ Feb 11 2008, 08:16 PM) *
I personally welcome the newcomers and the Arsenal discussion. I even expected it to be much worse, so I guess they got the book quite right. (IMO, they did, so much could have gone wrong)

We have noticed quite a bit of increased activities in some of the forums that used to be sub-forums, especially the GM/Players Registry

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 12 2008, 04:07 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Oh I don't think we've had an out and out flame war but there are certainly a few discussions that derailed into pissing matches. That's bound to happen from time to time but it does get a little annoying when civility starts to breakdown.

I'd happily pay money for a super duper "How it came to pass" canonical, definitive (if such a concept exists in SR), history. I'd happily pay in excess of 40 dollars for if it was a nice hardcover coffee table book.

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 12 2008, 05:15 AM
Post #20

Street Doc

Member No.: 6,114

I too would pay for such a tome, but I wonder if it wouldn't lend itself more to an atlas style format?

Also, it makes me wonder how FASA's art book (High Tech and Low Life) sold back in the day. I'm inclined to think it didn't do so well, but thats just based on my experience and not any hard sales data. A book like this seems more utilitarian, but I would worry that its fate would be similar.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 12 2008, 07:11 AM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (nathanross @ Feb 11 2008, 03:56 PM) *
Dumpshock seems like the same place it ever was.

I hate forum-seniority wars as much as anyone, but, well… "it ever was"? Did you have a different account before, or are you really extrapolating a lack of change based on slightly more than a year of experience?

(Admittedly, that is debatably enough to judge differences based on the release of Arsenal.)

The other thing is, I can't remember a time when January ever brought significant amounts of new blood not acclimated to the culture. It wasn't the September that Never Ended just because it was September—September was always the time when new people showed up due to getting usenet access at university, and the September that Never Ended was the result of an influx so large that the culture could not absorb it and instead disintegrated. People don't suddenly get Dumpshock access in January, so there's no January to not end.

~J

+Quote Post
Casper
post Feb 12 2008, 08:27 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

QUOTE (stevebugge @ Feb 11 2008, 09:24 PM) *
Are you suggesting it's time for a return of the age old argument about whether or not an Ally Spirit can manifest as an Ares Viper Slivergun?

Plus ca Change...

But can you have sex with it. If so, is it rape since the ally has to obey your command

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 12 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Oh god... an "Atlas of the Sixth World"? That'd be glorious on so many levels. Maps that show the shifting lines of control over the years would be fun and informative. Little CIA factbook entries about major corporations and so forth. I'd love to see the history but I'd settle for a single reference book that had a brief on all the current going on's (Deeper of course than the core books).

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Feb 12 2008, 11:17 AM
Post #24

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Feb 12 2008, 09:34 AM) *
Oh god... an "Atlas of the Sixth World"? That'd be glorious on so many levels. Maps that show the shifting lines of control over the years would be fun and informative. Little CIA factbook entries about major corporations and so forth. I'd love to see the history but I'd settle for a single reference book that had a brief on all the current going on's (Deeper of course than the core books).

Last I heard Catalyst had a book of this type lined up for 2009, as part of a 20 years of Sr thing. As well as the atlas/fact book bit it would include some articles about the history of the game itself and it's developement etc.

+Quote Post
DocTaotsu
post Feb 12 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Excerpts from "Atlas of the Sixth World" the forthcoming supplement for Shadowrun.

"So half the guys wanted to play D&D and the other half wanted to play Cyberpunk 2020, it almost turned into a fist fight. Thankfully someone shouted 'We should just play both at the same time... but without cancer causing rules!' Shadowrun basically grew from there..."

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.