IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Priority / cost for metahumans, Go ahead, flame me, but . . .
Chodav
post Dec 1 2003, 11:07 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,852

Okay, I am relatively new to SR3 and something has me stumped. Elves and trolls use Priority C while dwarves and orks use Priority D. Or, if you prefer the point-based system in SRComp, elves and trolls cost 10 while dwarves and orks cost 5.

(Now, before I go further, let me insert a disclaimer - I am not allowing for any sort of social or role-playing benefit of this or that race, because that will vary from game to game. Some groups play in a way that makes elves very valuable, while others spend half the game smuggling between the Ork Underground and Cascade Ork lands. So, please ignore any non-game-mechanic factors for a moment . . .)

Let's compare the racial modifications:

Dwarf - +1 Body, +2 Strength, +1 Willpower (net +4), thermographic vision, resistance (+2 dice) for any test to resist a disease or toxin

Elf - +1 Quickness, +2 Charisma (net +3), low-light vision

Ork - +3 Body, +2 Strength, -1 Charisma, -1 Intelligence (net +3), low-light vision

Troll - +5 Body, -1 Quickness, +4 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma (net +4), thermographic vision, +1 natural reach, +1 natural dermal armor

As I see it, in terms of game mechanics, elves and orks are virtually identical - both have a net +3 and low-light vision.

Dwarves and trolls are also nearly identical - both have a net +4, thermographic vision, and two other bonuses. They also both suffer the "wrong-sized-world" problem.

Why then, do dwarves cost less than elves?! By the numbers, dwarves are a bargain, and elves are a raw deal. It would seem that dwarves and trolls should be Priority C / cost 10, and elves and orks should be Priority D / cost 5.

(As a reminder, I'm not talking about role-playing issues that will vary from group to group.)

I asked my GM this question, and he replied that it was based on the races' prevalence in the population. That explanation stands up well when comparing orks and trolls (there are a LOT more orks), but does not hold up when comparing elves and dwarves - elves are more common by percentage of population in almost every location in my collection of sourcebooks, including New Seattle and Shadows of North America. Thus, I don't buy the prevalence argument.

So, why the disparity? Why do the high-benefit dwarves cost less than the low-benefit elves? Does anything in canon or company material explain this? (Perhaps in a previous version of SR?) It seems grossly illogical to me, and if I were to run a campaign, I would switch dwarves and elves in the Priority listing / point-based cost table.

What do you think?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 1 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I'm all for making it an even 5 points/category D across the board. Sure Trolls are big and strong, but the size and social issues keep them from dominating. I'm not sure why Elves would be twice as expensive to play as Dwarves except that maybe the SR team wants to discourage playing elves.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Dec 1 2003, 11:24 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 100

You have to take several things into account, not just number chunching.

Elves are looked at as the favored race, being that they get the least about of social problems.

Also, dwarves have a running multiplier of 2, which is a big draw back.

If you were going to chance anything, I would make them all cost the same, as they balance out in the end.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Dec 1 2003, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Don't forget that dwarves have that x2 run multiplier. Which is actually a lot bigger deal than it sounds.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Dec 1 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Chodav)
As I see it, in terms of game mechanics, elves and orks are virtually identical - both have a net +3 and low-light vision.

I've seen this argument a million times, but it doesn't really hold water. Instead of just adding up bonuses, consider the race in a holistic way.

I'll try and illustrate what I mean: Some other race might have Low-light vision, Strength +23, Intelligence -5, Body -5, Willpower -5, and Quickness -5. Such a race would have the exactly the same modifiers as elves and orks, but would obviously be inferior. Hell, it'd suck balls enough to call it Priority Q.

+Quote Post
Dende
post Dec 1 2003, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,837

Take into account cost of stuff too. Dwarves and Trolls have to double the cost of armor, clothes, etc due to their nasty size negative.

+Quote Post
Chodav
post Dec 1 2003, 11:40 PM
Post #7

Target

I forgot about the running multiplier - that's a really good point.

I don't think elves' social position is a factor - there are elves living in the Barrens, and the Tir ain't what it used to be.

Now, making them all cost the same has some potential. More accurately, making them all the same Priority has some potential. As far as point-based costs go, I still think I would make trolls pricier than the others. Maybe trolls 10, dwarves 8 (running multiplier), elves 6 (social benefit, if any), orks 4 (social drawback, if any). That is also approximately the reverse order of prevalence, going back to my GM's suggestion . . .

One other valid point - elves are mildly better than orks, not for social reasons, but because they have no penalties in that net +3.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 1 2003, 11:44 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

There's already been a lengthy flamewar on this topic.

~J

+Quote Post
Chodav
post Dec 2 2003, 12:08 AM
Post #9

Target

:eek: Good Lord, 25 pages! Quick - somebody lock this thread! :dead:

+Quote Post
Azryl
post Dec 2 2003, 12:16 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 5,595

See what you started......all over again, chodav.....

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Dec 2 2003, 12:17 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I agree that the run mod is the biggest downside on dwarves is thier run mod. And, by cannon, the most commonly prejudiced-against race is orks (I don't remember where it says this, but I remember them pointing out that there are simply more orks to hate than Trolls.

I think as they are, ultimately, they encourage (at least in my experience) a rough game balance of the %'s that are supposed to exist in Seattle.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Dec 2 2003, 12:22 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

lock the thread? why? do you think it's stupid? are you calling me stupid!?

numbers-wise, i don't think it's really possible to justify the point cost of dwarves. for the price, they really are the shiznat. in most games, though, they're still fairly uncommon (sphynx's mileage may vary!); i guess most people just don't want to be short.

+Quote Post
Azryl
post Dec 2 2003, 12:26 AM
Post #13

Target

well the cost of gear might be a factor in the low dwarf usage, even trolls for that matter.

+Quote Post
Chodav
post Dec 2 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Azryl)
See what you started......all over again, chodav.....

:P

My GM, for those who didn't guess . . .

Yeah, being short sucks, so does the running multiplier, and for those two reasons I would never play a dwarf.

I had this neat concept for an elf survivalist, but according to the previous thread on this topic, only newbies play elves, or somesuch . . . :|

My character concepts always involve rolE-playing, but the rolL-playing usually intrudes. Hence my complaint about the cost of elves.

Hey, GM-person, any chance you'll ever convert to SRComp's point build system?

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 2 2003, 12:42 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

My Elf conjuring adept has a rating 4 ally spirit (which he has sex with), an Ares slivergun, and a spell defense pool of 5.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 2 2003, 12:46 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Bearclaw)
My Elf conjuring adept has a rating 4 ally spirit (which he has sex with), an Ares slivergun, and a spell defense pool of 5.

Where'd your Conjuror get Spell Defence from?

+Quote Post
Azryl
post Dec 2 2003, 12:46 AM
Post #17

Target

Thanks for sharing, bearclaw. :D

+Quote Post
Chodav
post Dec 2 2003, 12:58 AM
Post #18

Target

Sharing what? That he role-plays sex? Geez, I'm married, have two kids, and just plain don't get any anymore, and I don't stoop that low . . .

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 2 2003, 01:00 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

I think you mean silvergun.

~J

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Dec 2 2003, 01:00 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Dec 2 2003, 11:42 AM)

Where'd your Conjuror get Spell Defence from?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Dec 2 2003, 01:10 AM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Bearclaw)
...Here...

Ahh yes, but that's wrong! :)

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Dec 2 2003, 01:41 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Dec 2 2003, 01:00 AM)
I think you mean silvergun.

~J

It's a gun that shoots flechettes. Definitely slivergun, not silvergun. </ot> :D

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Dec 2 2003, 01:44 AM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

No, he quite definitely means Silvergun. The fact that he's having sex with his ally spirit removes any doubt :)

~J

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Dec 2 2003, 02:10 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

If anything, under the Build Point System, all metahumans should be cranked up to 10 points instead of 5. The fact that they all grant between 3-4 (6-8 build points) bonus Attribute Points gives them too much of an advantage to be worth only 5 build points. Especially elves who have *no* significant downfalls outside of racism.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Dec 2 2003, 02:35 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
No, he quite definitely means Silvergun. The fact that he's having sex with his ally spirit removes any doubt.

Is the ally spirit dikoted?

In any case, if you think you get gypped on the metaraces, then the metavariant cost is far over the mark.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.