Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Noob question about Commlinks
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 09:13 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,665

OK everyone, noob here and I've got a few questions for everyone. I tried to search for the answer, but failed.

1) Why would anyone buy an off the shelf Commlink when you can get a Meta Link and mod it to Signal & Response 5? Not only is it cheaper, it may make people underestimate you.

2) Firewall is not limited to the Response of the Commlink it's running on. Is System limited? The only reason I ask is because it is not a common or hacking program... I think.

3) The GPS function of Commlinks... why can't it just pull the GPS sat signals from the air? Cell Phones do this today and they are a LOT less advanced than a commlink (and smaller to boot).

This post has been edited by Redjack: Feb 15 2008, 06:51 PM
Reason for edit: Flagged as sr4
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2008, 08:13 PM) *
1) Why would anyone buy an off the shelf Commlink when you can get a Meta Link and mod it to Signal & Response 5? Not only is it cheaper, it may make people underestimate you.

Not every Player cares, and not every character possesses the Matrix savvy to either think of it, or do it themselves.

2) Firewall is not limited to the Response of the Commlink it's running on. Is System limited? The only reason I ask is because it is not a common or hacking program... I think.

You are right that System is not a normal program, but System is specifically listed as being limited.

3) The GPS function of Commlinks... why can't it just pull the GPS sat signals from the air? Cell Phones do this today and they are a LOT less advanced than a commlink (and smaller to boot).

The Powers-That-Be in the Sixth World have decided that giving that technology to the general public is not necessary when you can give the 'close enough' stuff. Why do more than they need to?

OOC Reason: The Orientation System would be somewhat useless if every commlink had that feature.

+Quote Post
Bira
post Feb 14 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,768

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2008, 07:13 AM) *
OK everyone, noob here and I've got a few questions for everyone. I tried to search for the answer, but failed.

Most people are fine with buying something that suits them and using it as-is, while hackers and such will build a commlink from scratch to their exact specification. It's both a setting thing and a convenience for those players who don't want to spend so much time on their commlinks.

System is limited to the Response rating of the commlink it runs on. If you have a System 6 OS installed on a Response 3 commlink, the commlink will act as if it had only System 3.

I thought they already could do that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Thank you Fortune & Bira. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) The reason I asked about the custom Commlink is that I have a Combat Mage with a cyber commlink (never need to worry about losing comms... Signal 5 Response 5 ECCM 5 Firewall 6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) and it's much cheaper to get my uber 'Link than a Fairlight.

Now two other questions:

1) If my mage with a cyber commlink is running in hidden mode and has a regular commlink running in the accepted mode of the area he's in, will people like Lone Star (or Corp Security) see the hidden link or will the decoy link "hide" the cyber commlink?

2) If I have a Rating 4 agent, can I have one of the programs that it's running be Firewall 6?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 09:56 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2008, 08:45 PM) *
1) If my mage with a cyber commlink is running in hidden mode and has a regular commlink running in the accepted mode of the area he's in, will people like Lone Star see the hidden link or will the decoy link "hide" the cyber commlink?

The possibility is there, if there was some reason for someone to be searching for Hidden nodes, but the likelihood is that any searcher will find your obvious 'link and pass you by.

2) If I have a Rating 4 agent, can I have one of the programs that it's running be Firewall 6?

No. Firewalls run on devices (or nodes). Keep in mind that Firewall, while software, is not an actual program in the same sense as Analyze or Stealth.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 10:07 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Thank you again Fortune.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 10:11 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

No problem. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Matrix expert. I am sure others will come along and expand on what you have asked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 14 2008, 05:11 AM) *
No problem. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, a Matrix expert. I am sure others will come along and expand on what you have asked. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I hope so.

By the way, what do you think of my Mage's commlink (weird saying that isn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif) )?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2008, 09:37 PM) *
By the way, what do you think of my Mage's commlink?

Nice, but I'm thinking you need Analyze at the very least.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Fortune @ Feb 14 2008, 05:40 AM) *
Nice, but I'm thinking you need Analyze at the very least.

Does Analyze work passively? Also would Stealth help keep hackers out?

+Quote Post
Blade
post Feb 14 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Analyze works passively.
Stealth won't be much help.
You might be interested in most of the common use programs: Edit, Encrypt and Scan for instance.
If you want another layer of protection you can invest in an agent to run as an IC on your commlink.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 11:15 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Blade @ Feb 14 2008, 06:10 AM) *
Analyze works passively.
Stealth won't be much help.
You might be interested in most of the common use programs: Edit, Encrypt and Scan for instance.
If you want another layer of protection you can invest in an agent to run as an IC on your commlink.

Sorry about not putting down what programs I bought for my Mage's commlink. Here they are (all rating 5 except Firewall which is at 6): System, Datasoft, Mapsoft, ECCM, Encrypt, Edit, Browse, Analyze.

Blade, why do you say that I should have Scan on my comm?

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Feb 14 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2008, 05:13 AM) *

The big reason: You can only up Firewall and System right now. Until Unwired comes out, there is no way to increase Signal and response for a commlink by the RAW. Now, true, you can boost the signal by getting a powerful enough piece of broadcasting gear, but the signal of the commlink is still going to be jammed at its actual rating., because the tranceiver is relaying the signal, even if you have it directly against the Commlink. But, unfortunately, there is no roundabout way to boost the response.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 14 2008, 06:45 AM) *
The big reason: You can only up Firewall and System right now. Until Unwired comes out, there is no way to increase Signal and response for a commlink by the RAW. Now, true, you can boost the signal by getting a powerful enough piece of broadcasting gear, but the signal of the commlink is still going to be jammed at its actual rating., because the tranceiver is relaying the signal, even if you have it directly against the Commlink. But, unfortunately, there is no roundabout way to boost the response.

Acutally, they give you a chart on how to increase Signal and Response. I think it's page 228 or so in the BBB. The section starts off with how "no self respecting hacker would use an off the shelf commlink" (paraphrased). Also the hacker character has his commlink upgraded.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 14 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #15

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Stealth will be much help, it is a prequeresite for going into hidden mode.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Cardul @ Feb 14 2008, 10:45 PM) *
The big reason: You can only up Firewall and System right now. Until Unwired comes out, there is no way to increase Signal and response for a commlink by the RAW.

Canon seems to disagree with you.

QUOTE (SR4 pg. 240)
BUYING UPGRADES
Increases to Response and Signal can be purchased separately at the prices given on the Hardware Upgrades Table.

The table appears on the same page.

+Quote Post
Cardul
post Feb 14 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,006

OK..I stand corrected..I tend to look in the gear section for gear related stuff..so, I take it that it not being there is an uncaught error? Or is it an error in the second printing?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 12:21 PM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

My book begins the Electronics section of the Gear chapter with ...

QUOTE (SR4 pg. 317)
ELECTRONICS
For complete coverage of the Matrix attributes used by electronics equipment, see p. 212.

I think there was just too much to print twice, and while they needed to provide the stock Commlinks in the Gear chapter, maybe they thought that referring the dedicated 'trix-jockey to the appropriate section would suffice for more intricate needs.

+Quote Post
krakjen
post Feb 14 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,312

No it's not an error, it's only appearing in the matrix chapter.
Which is kinda annoying as I never remember which page it is on...

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 14 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,716

First of all. Agent rating = its pilot rating. Pilot rating = firewall rating. So no you cant have an R4 agent w/ R6 Firewall. Atleast until/unless unwired provides ways to modify software or something..

Is the hidden/cyber commlink communicating with your decoy commlink?? If they were you would be in deep crap. A person doesnt even have to hack your decoy(ignore setting off alerts and ic) to see your decoy talk to your hidden node. All they would have to do is locate your decoy comm, decrypt it if you have it encryted, and then run a sniffer program on it and it will located all the signals going in and out of your commlink(including the one to your hidden node). After that its just a matter of sliding over to the new node and going to town on it.

If your hidden node and your decoy node never talk to each other(no reason to) then there would be nothing in the decoy to lead back to the hidden node. Opposing hackers would have to scan for unknown hidden nodes at 15+ threshold.

*edit For programs you Definately want stealth. It helps keeps people from tracking down your lcation. (IE by a few seconds, that would be cool if also decreased the accuracy by the ratingx10 meteres. A standard track narrows it down to within 50 meteres. Someone with stealth 5 it would only narrow it down to within 100 meters 5x10 + 50).

Another program you might want is Spoof. That allows you to "change your number". So even if a bad guy does find your hidden node you can just change the number and they are back to sqaure one (just make sure your friends get the new number, atleast of your decoy).

If you get an agent then you already have analyze which is good but then you will probably want attack, defense, and maybe track.

I guess everyone should roll with eccm but for a mage?? Who really cares if you lose the ability to talk to the other runners?? Just summon a watcher and relay messages through it. Your not going to be controlling drones or hacking systems with your commlink so it doesnt really matter if you lose connection temporarily does it?? I would trade eccm for stealth or spoof just to save on money.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Feb 14 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 14 2008, 12:15 PM) *
Sorry about not putting down what programs I bought for my Mage's commlink. Here they are (all rating 5 except Firewall which is at 6): System, Datasoft, Mapsoft, ECCM, Encrypt, Edit, Browse, Analyze.

Blade, why do you say that I should have Scan on my comm?

Always useful to be able to pick a specific signal in a crowded area. It will also help you see cameras and other security devices (as long as they are wireless) which are invisible to the eye.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 12:59 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 14 2008, 07:38 AM) *
First of all. Agent rating = its pilot rating. Pilot rating = firewall rating. So no you cant have an R4 agent w/ R6 Firewall. Atleast until/unless unwired provides ways to modify software or something..

Is the hidden/cyber commlink communicating with your decoy commlink?? If they were you would be in deep crap. A person doesnt even have to hack your decoy(ignore setting off alerts and ic) to see your decoy talk to your hidden node. All they would have to do is locate your decoy comm, decrypt it if you have it encryted, and then run a sniffer program on it and it will located all the signals going in and out of your commlink(including the one to your hidden node). After that its just a matter of sliding over to the new node and going to town on it.

If your hidden node and your decoy node never talk to each other(no reason to) then there would be nothing in the decoy to lead back to the hidden node. Opposing hackers would have to scan for unknown hidden nodes at 15+ threshold.

The hidden cyber commlink would never talk to the decoy (set up the hidden to ignore the decoy at all times).

Also would the Agent be using the programs in the commlink at their full level or the level of the Agent?

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 14 2008, 07:38 AM) *
For programs you Definately want stealth. It helps keeps people from tracking down your lcation. (IE by a few seconds, that would be cool if also decreased the accuracy by the ratingx10 meteres. A standard track narrows it down to within 50 meteres. Someone with stealth 5 it would only narrow it down to within 100 meters 5x10 + 50).

Another program you might want is Spoof. That allows you to "change your number". So even if a bad guy does find your hidden node you can just change the number and they are back to sqaure one (just make sure your friends get the new number, atleast of your decoy).

If you get an agent then you already have analyze which is good but then you will probably want attack, defense, and maybe track.

I guess everyone should roll with eccm but for a mage?? Who really cares if you lose the ability to talk to the other runners?? Just summon a watched and relay messages through it. Your not going to be controlling drones or hacking systems with your commlink so it doesnt really matter if you lose connection temporarily does it?? I would trade eccm for stealth or spoof just to save on money.

I gotcha... the concept of this character was that he's ex military, and having good comms is ESSENTIAL! That's the reason I have the cyber commlink in the first place. Also, if I do get Attack and Defense, then I'll want to keep myself from being jammed.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Feb 14 2008, 01:15 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 14 2008, 11:38 PM) *

I really don't know what you are talking about. Firewall is never limited by anything (except money). Response, System, Pilot, Device Rating ... everything you can think of has absolutely no effect of the rating of a Firewall. You could have a rating 6 Firewall on your rating 1 toaster and it would work at full effect with no problem.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 14 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #24

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

The hidden comlink can talk freely to other devices. As long as you have an official comlink, all your identification requirements are met. No one demands you have only one wireless node on you. Any Signal Interception should turn up all signals you transmit anyway. So the way to go (IMO) is spoofing the adress of your official comlink. You can not change the state of encryption in RAW SR4, but you can keep your official comlink free of incriminating data.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 14 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Ryu @ Feb 14 2008, 08:26 AM) *
The hidden comlink can talk freely to other devices. As long as you have an official comlink, all your identification requirements are met. No one demands you have only one wireless node on you. Any Signal Interception should turn up all signals you transmit anyway. So the way to go (IMO) is spoofing the adress of your official comlink. You can not change the state of encryption in RAW SR4, but you can keep your official comlink free of incriminating data.

Just to make sure I understand you: you're saying that when the hidden commlink talks it uses the comm code of the decoy. This is so when Lone Star busts me they take the decoy and find nothing on it, while in my head all the data is "safe".

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.