> SR Games and Movies, Originally Split from Thread re: Saturday's Chat
Abbandon
post Feb 14 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,716

Edit by Dashifen:
This was originally at the bottom of the thread about the public chat this Saturday about Shadowrun. I didn't want that thread to get hijacked by non-chat related conversations (which is potential since Grinder mentioned the hated x-box "Shadowrun" game (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) so I split this one off. Sorry for any confusion.

I guess if you dont like rules questions... When will Catalyst Lab's go after the electronic rights to shadowrun and start pumping out some RPG's for consoles!!! Its been a looooooong time since Sega Genesis yo. Battletech/Mechwarrior can stay with microsoft heh, they do pretty good with that series.

Oh also I always wanted to know what is preventing whoever has the legal rights to shadowrun in movie format from making movies!!!! You have tons of novels written up and a big budget movie for shadowrun would boost its popularity into the stratosphere and make rulebooks fly off the shelves. You would build a new fan base that would last for many more generations. A killer movie would also make finding a developer/publisher for a video game really easy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 14 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #2

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 14 2008, 04:22 PM) *
I guess if you dont like rules questions... When will Catalyst Lab's go after the electronic rights to shadowrun and start pumping out some RPG's for consoles!!! Its been a looooooong time since Sega Genesis yo. Battletech/Mechwarrior can stay with microsoft heh, they do pretty good with that series.

Microsoft has the rights for SR-based video games and recently released a Shadowrun-game for their Xbox.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Feb 14 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #3

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

Mind you, the "Shadowrun" game by M$ was only loosely based on the Shadowrun RPG and was a first-person shooter style of game. I actually enjoyed it, but it had only a tenuous connection (at best) to the Shadowrun RPG.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Feb 14 2008, 04:37 PM
Post #4

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Member No.: 5,698

Well, I wouldn't say I actually hate the xbox-game, that would be too much honor for it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I just wanted to point out that Microsoft still owns the rights for SR video games and doesn't seem willing to drop them any time soon.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 14 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Yeah im an avid gamer. I didnt mention that one on purpose lol. The ones on SNES and Sega were the only two that count in my eyes.

I think Catalyst should try to buy back those rights and start making real shadowrun games and movies hehe.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Feb 14 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,522

For more information on video game issues, you might want to hit up Jordan Weisman's new company, Smith and Tinker.

+Quote Post
martindv
post Feb 14 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,611

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 14 2008, 11:22 AM) *
You have tons of novels written up and a big budget movie for shadowrun would boost its popularity into the stratosphere and make rulebooks fly off the shelves.

Oh, my God. That's so funny my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Feb 14 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Statement: Movies based on games never end up good, as 90% of the time the directors that are elected for making these kind of movies never even heard of the game, even less played it (Look at the D&D movie, or DOOM, or Silent hill, or even fraggin' resident evil, worst example must be the new hitman movie) second of, Computer games based on tabletop games rarely captures the mood of the game (some RPG's had come pretty close altough)
Roleplayers will always be a minority, cause just like metal fans, our devotion is what gives the game its life. and oh yea METAL! I..I.

+Quote Post
Exodus
post Feb 14 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 8,981

I may be mistaken but I believe the License to Create Shadowrun Games under Fasa Studios, was lost by Microsoft. I believe the license has been given to Tinker and Smith who the founder of the organization was a Founder of Fasa.

They've recently been hiring a lot of programmers that are expirienced with MMOs, and its speculated that they will use the Shadowrun License to create a Shadowrun MMO. Very Exciting Stuff.

But like i said Fasa Studios under Microsoft is no more.

EDIT: here is a link http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3594

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 15 2008, 06:38 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Holy crap. Thats insane news. I loved driving around in mechs FPS style but It would be really cool if they just worked on a direct version where you move pieces around on a hex map and then have animated attacks like in the Front Mission series on SNES/playstation. A Tactical RPG.

I wouldnt be to interested in a MMORPG. Those turn into loser cesspools filled with cheaters. I have no idea how much mmorpg's make in profit. I know some people just never stop playing no matter how messed up the game gets from patch to patch so that would create a steady flow of income but I doubt it would be enough to start up other projects like console games.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:24 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.