IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Abuse of Sustaining Foci...?, Simple-to-answer newbie question...
Kage2020
post Dec 2 2003, 12:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,555

Hey there... Quick question for you. What is to prevent an individual with a Sustaining Foci to cast the spell into the foci and, if they don't like the results, merely deactivate and recast it for a better result? Just did a quick scan of SR3 and MitS and didn't see anything obvious...

If the spell changes then I'm perfectly fine with the idea of the focus needing to be re-bonded (i.e. the idea of magical cleansing). But if the spell is primed for a given spell, then...?

Many thanks for your patience and help with yet another simple question from me... :D

Kage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Dec 2 2003, 12:42 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Why would you prevent them from recasting for a better result? They have that same option without a Sustaining Focus, it's natural to want the best result for any spell.

The only Canon hinderance is drain.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Kage2020
post Dec 2 2003, 12:46 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 5,555

That's what I thought... Thank you.

It is what I love about this forum. Ask a simple question and you get a really simple, to the point and, more importantly, rapid response. You could almost be connected to the 'Net in the middle of a face-to-face SR game and pause it for a second while you tried to get a response from Dumpshock! Excellent! :spin:

Kage

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Dec 2 2003, 12:49 PM
Post #4

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

I wouldn't try that. You usually end up SOL and get stuck waiting for an answer for a few days. :(

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Dec 2 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE (Kage2020)

If the spell changes then I'm perfectly fine with the idea of the focus needing to be re-bonded (i.e. the idea of magical cleansing). But if the spell is primed for a given spell, then...?

Is this another question? The way I read it at least the "But if the spell is primed for a given spell, then...?" part implys a second question.

If you are asking if a sustaining focus is used for one spell does it need to be re-bonded for use with another spell? I believe the answer is yes, when you bond a sustaining foci you have to bond it for a particular spell. At least that is the way I read the rule, and have been doing it since I started playing a shaman. So if you had a sustaining foci for Improved Invisibility, and decided you need something else sustained then you need to rebond it for that spell.

+Quote Post
Jr. Woodchuck
post Dec 3 2003, 09:53 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,581

QUOTE (tanka)
I wouldn't try that. You usually end up SOL and get stuck waiting for an answer for a few days. :(

LOL happened to you too eh? :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.