Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drones w/ smartlinks/weapons?
Abbandon
post Feb 18 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,716

Im customizing a drone for my hacker and I noticed you can buy vision mods for the camera. So if your drone is equipped with a weapon with a smartgun mod and the camera has smartlink should that give a drone +2 when the drone shoots? lol.

Pilot _ + Targeting _ (heavy weapons) + 2 smartlinked ???
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Feb 18 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

smartlink is only a +1 bonus, and i think you need both the weapon and sensor to have the link.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Feb 18 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

QUOTE (Teulisch @ Feb 18 2008, 06:19 PM) *
smartlink is only a +1 bonus, and i think you need both the weapon and sensor to have the link.

Ummm Laser Sights are +1... smartlink is +2.

Page 140 of BBB states that.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 19 2008, 12:30 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

ruleswise, yes the drone would get the smartgun bonus, though you would (as the OP noted) have to put an appropriate smartlink into both the gun and the camera.

some people don't like that, but that's what the rules say... you are, of course, welcome to houserule however you like (if you're the GM)

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 19 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 98

I don't see why smartlinking a drone-mounted gun is an issue. You're adding a dedicated processor and the appropriate sensor equipment to the drone to increase it's accuracy.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 19 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Feb 18 2008, 09:30 PM) *
I don't see why smartlinking a drone-mounted gun is an issue. You're adding a dedicated processor and the appropriate sensor equipment to the drone to increase it's accuracy.

some people like to claim it's based on simsense, and that the gear actually guides your hand by sending you simsense signals. which is a pretty neat trick when you can have it work through nothing more than goggles with just as much effectiveness as implanted (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (in SR4, at least)

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 19 2008, 03:07 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

wtf those people are insane. Thats what skillwires and reflex recorders do. smartgun just calculates trajectory, wind, distance, arm movement to display a bullseye where it thinks the bullet will hit.

My only concern was that maybe the targeting autosoft doesnt need a camera sensor to shoot at stuff or that they are seperate? In which case you should be able to upgrade the autosoft camera or whateever with stuff. Hmmm the book talks about being software. So I guess you have to have a camera on your drone if you want to shoot anything.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Feb 19 2008, 03:33 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

i didn't say i agree with them. i merely pointed out that some people think that way.

and in their defense, for 3 editions of shadowrun, it *did* work that way.

+Quote Post
Abbandon
post Feb 19 2008, 03:39 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

*edit nevermind Im not taking drones.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Feb 19 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 18 2008, 07:33 PM) *
and in their defense, for 3 editions of shadowrun, it *did* work that way.

Yeah... i'm not entirely sure I like having smartcontacts and the like provide a +2, but it's not such a big deal i'm going to change it... our one "ONLY PLAYS PHYSADS" player would take issue with that choice.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 19 2008, 07:34 AM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Abbandon @ Feb 18 2008, 10:07 PM) *
wtf those people are insane. Thats what skillwires and reflex recorders do. smartgun just calculates trajectory, wind, distance, arm movement to display a bullseye where it thinks the bullet will hit.

Like Jaid says, it came with a limited simrig for a reason.

Since the original poster left this thread untagged, I'm going to annoy him or her by pointing out that the Smartlink Integration Kit is on p139 of Rigger 3.

~J

+Quote Post
Maelwys
post Feb 19 2008, 08:53 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 143

The merging of the SR3 and SR4 forums is most annoying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I suppose if you really wanted to consider it, you could disallow it by saying that the Smartlink bonus and the autosoft/targeting bonus are really the same thing, that you'd simply be duplicating the calculations, without really enhancing them. Much in the same way that packing two smartlinks into a gun isn't going to give you a +4 bonus.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Feb 19 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Feb 19 2008, 01:50 AM) *
Yeah... i'm not entirely sure I like having smartcontacts and the like provide a +2, but it's not such a big deal i'm going to change it... our one "ONLY PLAYS PHYSADS" player would take issue with that choice.

I would say that the Smartlink gives a +2 to shooting, but you can't control the rest of the functions of the gun unless you have the smartlink cyberware for your cybereyes or have a datajack. These would give you the DNI needed to control the gun.

+Quote Post
suppenhuhn
post Feb 19 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,682

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Feb 19 2008, 10:12 AM) *
I would say that the Smartlink gives a +2 to shooting, but you can't control the rest of the functions of the gun unless you have the smartlink cyberware for your cybereyes or have a datajack. These would give you the DNI needed to control the gun.

yes that's how we houseruled it as well and since smartgun and laser only grant one or two extra dice now smartguns aren't the nobrainer they used to be considering you can install so much other stuff in your glasses when using a laserpointer.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Feb 19 2008, 11:11 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Jaid @ Feb 19 2008, 03:53 AM) *
some people like to claim it's based on simsense, and that the gear actually guides your hand by sending you simsense signals.

You got that backwards!
In earlier editions of SR a smartgun implant indeed contained a limited simrig - which was used to sense the position of the weapon arm/hand and the users field of vision so this position data could be matched to create the aiming reticle.

It seems that SR4's smartgun simply relies on optical input from the gun that is matched to data from the googles/contacts/cybereyes/etc. that contain the second part of the system.
That's BTW how non-cybernetic smartguns worked in earlier editions, to my understanding. Yet between 2064 and 2070 this technology seems to have become more sophisticated/reliable: the targetting bonus used to drop from -2 to -1 as soon as a non-cybernetic component was involved...

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Feb 19 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #16

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Tech moves forward. Right now, the weapon can know what it would be hitting and display that info "whereever". Seeing as that could be done today, no SimRig needed. I´d not base my decisions for SR4 on the (partially even today) outdated tech of SR3-. Ask MS about the downsides of downward compatibility (or don´t, they make the IE).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:38 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.